Share this page :
facebooktwittermailfacebooktwittermail

Jeff Hendrick’s opener at Chelsea last month proved to be the big winner in the vote for the goal of the season and that should come as no surprise for a player who was the winner two seasons ago with his goal at home against Bournemouth and saw his effort at Everton in 2017/18 come second behind Steven Defour’s free kick at Manchester United.

Embed from Getty Images

The goal at Everton was very much a team goal with some 24 passes involving nine of our players, but his goal at Chelsea in our recent 2-2 draw was all about the finish after a corner had been headed out to him just outside the box; Hendrick superbly volleying home.

That goal won him 55% of the vote with Dwight McNeil’s goal against Wolves coming second with a 26% share of the vote. That was a special goal too with McNeil latching on to a James Tarkowski header before moving into the box to the left and then finishing superbly with a shot into the far bottom corner.

Embed from Getty Images
That’s 81% of the vote for the first two leaving the other four to win just 19% between them although I did think Jack Cork’s winner against İstanbul Başakşehir was unfortunate to take only 9% of the vote.

Ashley Barnes’ winner at Huddersfield was fourth with 5% while fifth place went to Sam Vokes for his header against Newcastle and Chris Wood came sixth with the opener against West Ham as our season began to turn round at the end of December.

The winner has now been added to our roll of honour which can be found in Up the Clarets Awards on the top menu.

The Full Result

55% – Jeff Hendrick v Chelsea (a)
26% – Dwight McNeil v Wolves (h)
9% – Jack Cork v İstanbul Başakşehir (h)
5% – Ashley Barnes v Huddersfield (a)
3% – Sam Vokes v Newcastle (h)
2% – Chris Wood v West Ham (h)

Share this page :
facebooktwittermailfacebooktwittermail


Follow UpTheClarets:
facebooktwitterfacebooktwitter