Search found 2018 matches

by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: ARTICLE: The day Billy became Ginger Pele
Replies: 23
Views: 864

Re: ARTICLE: The day Billy became Ginger Pele

Lovely to read the comments about Billy. I used to pick his mum and dad up to take them to Burnley games, both home and away, and they were a lovely couple and did so much for Billly to help him follow his dream to become a footballer. They were both really small in stature and Billy 'towered' above...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Jack Hixon of the North East
Replies: 6
Views: 865

Jack Hixon of the North East

Reading of the passing of Fred Smith today reminded of the part that Jack Hixon played in the smashing players we had in the 1950s and 60s. I remembered reading an article in the Chronicle up here and managed to find it ---apologies if it has been posted before. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:05 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: ARTICLE: Fred Smith passes away
Replies: 31
Views: 1407

Re: ARTICLE: Fred Smith passes away

RIP Fred, one of Jack Hixon's captures way back in the depths of time.
Great bloke and would have played many more games if John Angus had not been so reliable.
Condolences to his family and friends.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:28 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Over seventies
Replies: 69
Views: 3260

Re: Over seventies

Lighten up Targetman. It was put on in jest .. Hence the light hearted comment comment about being electronically tagged ..It actually looks like it's going to happen though.(not the tagging) :D Hey con, why do we need to worry about all this crap that we can do absolutely nothing about when there ...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:48 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Over seventies
Replies: 69
Views: 3260

Re: Over seventies

I've heard the Health Sec. (Hancock is his name, I think) mention this but can't recall him saying as from next week but sometime in the not too distant future. When the experts have deemed it necessary or right. Whatever they will not be able to enforce this. The line seems to be self isolate if y...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:55 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Heavy flood in Port Louis (Mauritius)
Replies: 6
Views: 531

Re: Heavy flood in Port Louis (Mauritius)

Really sorry to read about the flooding problems, dave, and I hope that everyone stays safe and that things will return to 'normal' very quickly.
Take care of yourself and your family, best wishes from Alan & Pat
by Ashingtonclaret46
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:04 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Charlton Athletic - frying pan into fire?
Replies: 77
Views: 3630

Re: Charlton Athletic - frying pan into fire?

It all seems a right can of worms and makes very sad reading with accusation and counter-accusation being made. As Chester says, there are so many vested interests and it certainly doesn't appear that things will be resolved quickly, if at all!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:53 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Who is this referee?
Replies: 14
Views: 836

Re: Who is this referee?

Was that Rudolf Kreitlin, the German referee who officiated in the horrible match between England and Argentina in the Quarter Final of the World Cup in July 1966? From memory, he had sent off at least one Argentinian and at the final whistle he was surrounded by their players and I am sure that one...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Charlton Athletic - frying pan into fire?
Replies: 77
Views: 3630

Re: Charlton Athletic - frying pan into fire?

So much for the 'fit and proper person' checks if the person concerned does not respond to the EFL. It would appear that they are quite toothless in such cases, however, it appears that the 'deal' was done before the checks were carried through.
As dp says "You couldnt make it up"
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:51 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Wood Poleaxed
Replies: 67
Views: 4680

Re: Wood Poleaxed

Dermot Gallagher said on Ref Watch that the attack on Wood was not a foul because the Spurs player went to head the ball !!!! All the others disagreed stating that going to head the ball but failing to head the ball and attacking the player instead was a foul (and a penalty) !! God help us !! Crazy...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:40 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Wood Poleaxed
Replies: 67
Views: 4680

Re: Wood Poleaxed

Dyche said the penalty wasn't given because Wood didn't go down clutching every part of his body and flayling his arms about. Dyche likes the game played in the right spirit and encourages our players to do so, which is the right thing to do. If we fail to get the odd penalty but stay honest that'l...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:49 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Looks like the Bob Lord stand could be deserted for the Watford game
Replies: 26
Views: 2088

Re: Looks like the Bob Lord stand could be deserted for the Watford game

My friend will be absolutely livid if they bring this in. He is in his mid 70s and is deemed fit to deal with people who may contract the virus and come into the hospital where he is a specialist but could be told that he is not allowed to attend the Turf to watch the team he has supported for 70 ye...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:06 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Our Tactics/Style of Play/Formation (technical question)
Replies: 14
Views: 898

Re: Our Tactics/Style of Play/Formation (technical question)

It doesn't matter how you play, what tactics you use etc., the object of the game is still the same --sore more goals than your opponent! Brighton 14,297 passes to score 32 goals ----- 28 pts: Norwich 12,915 passes to sccore 25 goals ----21 pts: Bournemouth 11,291 passes to score 28 goals -- 27 pts:...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:49 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: CITY V BURNLEY UI8
Replies: 41
Views: 2868

Re: CITY V BURNLEY UI8

Unfortunately, I did not see or hear anything about the game because I was out last night, however, reading the comments, it would seem that we put up a creditable performance and getting beat by the odd goal is certainly not a disgrace against a City team which attracts players from all over the pl...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:33 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Breakfast
Replies: 60
Views: 2099

Re: Breakfast

Dyched wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:31 pm
People eating on public transport should be shot.
Too messy --they would drop their food all over the floor! ;)
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:39 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: New handball rule for next year.
Replies: 32
Views: 1535

Re: New handball rule for next year.

But next season it won't be classed as handball, unless it hits skin on a short sleeved arm. Very true. Football used to be such a simple game until the digital genii started messing about with The Laws of the Game! Never mind it will give the pundits more to pontificate about and criticise the off...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:15 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: New handball rule for next year.
Replies: 32
Views: 1535

Re: New handball rule for next year.

randomclaret2 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:12 pm
Remember the days when it was simply a case of the referee deciding if a player had deliberately handled the ball ?
Aye, however, now it has to be decided by a committee ---much fairer isn't it? ;)
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:46 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: MOTD
Replies: 45
Views: 3716

Re: MOTD

In their last four home games, Newcastle have registered 48 shots with 13 on target but have scored only 1 goal in a win against Chelsea. They were beaten 0-3 by Leicester and have had two 0-0 draws. Going off those figures it would appear that "on another day" they may well not have scored ---who k...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:52 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: MOTD
Replies: 45
Views: 3716

Re: MOTD

Having read this I really do wonder if we did play Newcastle on Saturday! This was the 'report' in the hard copy today!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -2015.html
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:46 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Jay Rod Key misses in games this year
Replies: 49
Views: 2298

Re: Jay Rod Key misses in games this year

On top of everything else, he plays with passion and is obviously a real Claret! He wears his heart on his sleeve and for those of us who were a lot nearer the action than those up in the gods you could see and hear what a part he plays in our set up.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:11 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Jay Rod Key misses in games this year
Replies: 49
Views: 2298

Re: Jay Rod Key misses in games this year

I would rather have Jay Rod with his record for us this season than both Almiron and Joelinton who cost a total of £65 million and have amassed the grand total of 3 goals in the PL between them!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:10 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Drinkwater
Replies: 19
Views: 3173

Re: Drinkwater

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:01 pm
Four of the seven subs are wrong
They are, however, they were the subs when we played Newcastle at home in December ---the wonders of technology but still relying on human input ---a lot like VAR! ;)
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:05 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: ARTICLE: How was it for you at Newcastle?
Replies: 35
Views: 2814

Re: ARTICLE: How was it for you at Newcastle?

I heard that, in view of the poor toilet facilities yesterday, they are arranging that away fans can visit the RVI, which is just up the road, and have a catheter fitted just for the match. ;)
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:38 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Jay Rod Key misses in games this year
Replies: 49
Views: 2298

Re: Jay Rod Key misses in games this year

He only misses a chance if he is in a position to score. Strikers all go through patches where the ball doesn't go in for whatever reason, they just have to play through that period and keep getting in positions to score, that is what is important.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:03 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: RATE THE REF: Andy Madley v Newcastle United
Replies: 13
Views: 743

Re: RATE THE REF: Andy Madley v Newcastle United

Agreed Ashington, took place right in front of our seats in the Platinum Club. A powerful, robust header from Tarkowski where he was head and shoulders above the Newcastle player and clearly won the ball. A dreadful, unnecessary, incorrect booking in which the ref responded to the one - eyed Newcas...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:40 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: ARTICLE: How was it for you at Newcastle?
Replies: 35
Views: 2814

Re: ARTICLE: How was it for you at Newcastle?

This was the club statement from 2 years ago and I have not heard anything that states that this could change! "Newcastle United have released an official statement on Thursday, regarding away fans. Newspaper reports had earlier claimed that Newcastle supporters in the Leazes End would not be moved ...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:32 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: RATE THE REF: Andy Madley v Newcastle United
Replies: 13
Views: 743

Re: RATE THE REF: Andy Madley v Newcastle United

I thought he was excellent today, up there with the best we've seen this season so far. 7 bookings but I don't think you could argue with any of them tbf Tarkowski was booked for what? Jumping higher than his opponent to win the ball? Because his opponent fell down? Because he won the ball fairly a...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:24 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: MOTD
Replies: 45
Views: 3716

Re: MOTD

Yep, got to be tucking those away. They didn't even show a replay on my stream though, so I've not seen it back. Think they played it down because the flag went up and it wouldn't have counted, but that would surely have gone to VAR as a possible pass back? Hopefully saving all his goals for Spurs....
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch
Replies: 38
Views: 2723

Re: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch

When the AR is eventually phased out by technology, I hope we can expect robots to be shooting tasers at players stealing more than a foot at a throw in. Players at almost every throw in gain yards of advantage because the AR ( and Referee) allow blatant cheating to go unchecked. I'm sure this, alo...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:28 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch
Replies: 38
Views: 2723

Re: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch

I certainly don’t think it is great in other countries. Last season in a Serie A game I saw a penalty given in the 93rd minute and taken in the 103rd minute when it shouldn’t have even been a penalty. My initial point was about linesmen being trigger happy and then not agreeing with the pre game in...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:55 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch
Replies: 38
Views: 2723

Re: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch

But how can it help having assistant referees working differently every week to the quirks of each referee...they must be unclear whether to flag one week and not the next for certain things if the refs have advised them differently before the game? The people who have reffed on here are always goi...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:29 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch
Replies: 38
Views: 2723

Re: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch

Fans forget that there are 3 teams on the field at a match, hence the need for the referee, who is in overall charge or, at least he was until VAR reared its ugly head, discusses exactly what he requires from his team and they each go onto the field knowing exactly what they are required to do. dp a...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:16 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Bournemouth reality in Cherry Chimes
Replies: 11
Views: 1933

Re: Bournemouth reality in Cherry Chimes

In his 80 league games with Burnley, Eddie saw us keep 17 clean sheets and we failed to score in 19 matches. When Sean took over his first 79 games, all in The Championship, saw us keep 29 clean sheets and fail to scoe in 16 matches. Eddie's 80 league games saw us score 113 goals and concede 115. Se...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:42 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch
Replies: 38
Views: 2723

Re: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch

If the linesman sees an handball in the area, and the ref doesn’t seem to have. Shouldn’t the linesman put his flag up to assist the ref in this case. When the ref looks across at his linesman, he then puts his flag across his chest to signal a penalty? As dp explained further up the thread, it all...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:59 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch
Replies: 38
Views: 2723

Re: Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch

Go on, give FIFA more ideas! FIFA have already been experimenting with technology which could be used for ball in and out of play, similar to goal line technology and, as they already have a VAR system for offside, it could be just a matter of time until the ARs are no longer needed and technology ...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:17 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Referee confirmed for Newcastle game
Replies: 19
Views: 1382

Re: Referee confirmed for Newcastle game

Have to say I have no memories of him refereeing any of our games. That’s probably good news! Last time he refereed us was February 2016 in The Championship when we beat Forest 1-0 thanks to Sam Vokes. The first time he refereed us was in the League Cup v Plymouth in 2012? We drew that one and have...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Horsham Claret
Replies: 21
Views: 1418

Re: Horsham Claret

Met a guy on Saturday when enjoying some hospitality and he had just moved to Ashington one week previously and had travelled down, as I had on the day, in order to meet his son. Evidently, he doesn't see many games because he has lived in the north east for quite some time, however, his home town i...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:29 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Heading a football
Replies: 67
Views: 1392

Re: Heading a football

The standard of kids football has improved massively with passing along the floor a priority. Gone are the days of hoofing it forward. All teams are highly coached and heading the ball doesn't occur that much anymore in games. This new rule will only help coaches. All part of the intention to make ...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:51 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: VAR
Replies: 111
Views: 4185

Re: VAR

Mala591 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:48 pm
Surely HANDball is when the ball hits the HAND not the ARM or the SHOULDER. Now if the ball was to hit the WRIST then referees/VAR might have a difficult decision to make!
Are you really being serious? You should have a good read of TLOG ---very enlightening for anyone interested in football.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:18 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Can those of you who sit on the back row of the BL stand see the big screen ok?
Replies: 21
Views: 1121

Re: Can those of you who sit on the back row of the BL stand see the big screen ok?

If you can't see the screen then you don't know when incidents are being reviewed and what they are being reviewed for though. They announce that there is a review but they do not show the incident on the screen until after the decision is made. I don't have any interest in watching VAR decisions, ...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:58 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Can those of you who sit on the back row of the BL stand see the big screen ok?
Replies: 21
Views: 1121

Re: Can those of you who sit on the back row of the BL stand see the big screen ok?

I go to watch what is happening on the field and the big screen is of no real interest, although I can see it from where I sit in the BL.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:53 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: VAR
Replies: 111
Views: 4185

Re: VAR

Arm consists of the forearm, bicep, tricep and shoulder. So anyone saying it hits his shoulder are saying it hit his (upper) arm. Fair enough,I do not wish to become a member of nitpickers anonymous so I shall just say that VAR said it was handball and, as much as I disagree with VAR in football, I...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:11 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Laws of the Game-I learn something every day
Replies: 54
Views: 2087

Re: Laws of the Game-I learn something every day

OK. We'll leave it there but this has been a very revealing topic. Try officiating these days if you wish to be really challenged and find out some revealing facts about football and its lawmakers. In the meantime, try and enjoy the game as it is because more changes will be on their way to try and...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:07 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: VAR
Replies: 111
Views: 4185

Re: VAR

Bullabill wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:58 pm
Ashington, my forearm is between my elbow and my wrist.
So is mine! I meant to type upper arm, however, then you will get the nit-pickers telling you that that includes the shoulder! Bullabill 1 Ashington 0 ---subject to VAR!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:34 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Laws of the Game-I learn something every day
Replies: 54
Views: 2087

Re: Laws of the Game-I learn something every day

He didn't say "the plane of the ball" despite repeated attempts to give him the chance to. He said "the ball". Thanks for confirming what we all already knew. He didn't have to do, it was not him that was nit-picking. He stated it exactly as the interpretation states it and is what he uses in every...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:52 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Laws of the Game-I learn something every day
Replies: 54
Views: 2087

Re: Laws of the Game-I learn something every day

We get it - you're a referee so you must be right. And a Premier League linesman who checks the ball, sees it not touching but overhanging the line, and allows play to go on - presumably he's only a linesman so he's wrong? You might want to have a word with Graham Poll as well, and teach him how he...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:12 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: VAR
Replies: 111
Views: 4185

Re: VAR

MIke Dean was up with play and in the position he should have been, however, it is very possible that his view may have been obstructed and, in such cases, you do not guess what may or may not have happened. He got no help whatsoever from his AR on the Bob Lord side, mind you it wasn't just that dec...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:54 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Laws of the Game-I learn something every day
Replies: 54
Views: 2087

Re: Laws of the Game-I learn something every day

What's your definition of "touching"? If it means "in physical contact with" (i.e. the normal definition we all use) then I'd suggest you're the only one refereeing to this definition. We all regularly see corner kicks where the definition given here is used: http://www.kenaston.org/the-pitch/law-1...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:55 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: The Violinist & the Surgeons
Replies: 8
Views: 479

Re: The Violinist & the Surgeons

Buxtonclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:23 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... in-surgery

What an amazing, and heartwarming, story.
Certainly is amazing buxton, however, I wonder what they would do with me ---I play either a Double Bass or rather large tuba!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:53 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Has a football game ever been called off for wind?
Replies: 50
Views: 1725

Re: Has a football game ever been called off for wind?

I think they have bud but if tied down to a fixture I couldn't tell you but I believe it was not that long ago. I think that the only game postponed this season was the scheduled match against Bury in August which was suspended by the League prior to Bury's demise. Last season they had a game v Sun...