Search found 1990 matches

by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:14 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: RATE THE REF - Tim Robinson v Newcastle United
Replies: 41
Views: 1563

Re: RATE THE REF - Tim Robinson v Newcastle United

I've only refereed a few times, and it was bloody difficult and thankless work. Re: the point about not making a decision unless certain - arguably that's impossible, because in effect not making a decision is to decide that no foul was committed, and had the ref done that and been wrong there'd ha...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:26 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: RATE THE REF - Tim Robinson v Newcastle United
Replies: 41
Views: 1563

Re: RATE THE REF - Tim Robinson v Newcastle United

Indeed, but unless you're suggesting referees should have the foresight to always know exactly what the ball and players will do next so as to ensure their viewpoint is entirely unimpeded - which is of course impossible - I think we've got to accept that a ref will, from time to time, find his view...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:41 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Unresolved news stories from this Millennium so far...
Replies: 47
Views: 1791

Re: Unresolved news stories from this Millennium so far...

Doctor Kelly and Weapons of Mass Destruction!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:46 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Sheff utd.
Replies: 45
Views: 1418

Re: Sheff utd.

I wish them well because they have a manager and a philosophy very similar to ours. Yes, they beat us at Bramall Lane, however, Jay Rod should have had a penalty before they had scored and you can never tell what effect that would have had on the game. We struggled to get any decisions from the ref ...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:26 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Burnley v Newcastle - Player Ratings
Replies: 81
Views: 4509

Re: Burnley v Newcastle - Player Ratings

Strangely enough, I'm clearly not the only one who was disappointed with him. I didn't expect him to take it down like Messi, but he wasn't even close to controlling it - he didn't just miss it, he was miles away. And I don't see what is bizarre about saying he nearly missed. Yes he scored. I said ...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:17 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Arsenal
Replies: 33
Views: 1588

Re: Arsenal

Almost 4 --that was a cracking save from De Bruyne.
Arsenal fans wanted rid of Wenger, they got their wish so it is no good moaning about things.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:13 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Andy Carroll
Replies: 36
Views: 3058

Re: Andy Carroll

Carroll has played in 313 matches and received 46 cautions and been dismissed 3 times.
Our Ashley has played in 390 matches and received 73 cautions and been dismissed 5 times.
Within a few years neither would be welcome in the PL when no contact will be allowed,
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:38 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Ex Claret demands more cash
Replies: 4
Views: 1690

Re: Ex Claret demands more cash

Yep, I couldn’t tell you which games they were. Seems to have the tendencies of another ex claret in management. He was on loan from Sheffield Wednesday for the last two fixtures of the 2006/7 season and played in a 0-0 draw against Luton at the Turf on 31 March 2007 and then came on in the 88th mi...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:24 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Best thing today - Whinging Bruce
Replies: 41
Views: 2215

Re: Best thing today - Whinging Bruce

We can debate the foul which would have been very soft if given, but it was never, ever a goal kick. True, however, in this day and age, looking at how players place the ball for corners and goal kicks, was the whole of the ball over the whole of the line? MOTD pictures were not conclusive ---not t...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:53 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Cant watch much more of that
Replies: 115
Views: 4781

Re: Cant watch much more of that

When I was in the RAF I had to do stuff I didn't like or didn't agree with, however, I did it. Since leaving I have had freedom of choice in whatever I have chosen to do and one of the things I enjoy doing is going to the Turf and other places to support my team. This is my choice and I never fail t...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:26 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Chris Kamara
Replies: 15
Views: 1298

Re: Chris Kamara

Right place at the right time ---that is how he became a professional footballer. It's a strange life which can be full of missed opportunities ---but not always!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:48 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Time to shop in the Bundeslegia
Replies: 19
Views: 915

Re: Time to shop in the Bundeslegia

Local cricketer wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:35 pm
Isn't Salzburg in Austria though?
It is still the Bundesliga though ---unlike the Bundeslegia! ;)
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:02 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: And then there were three........
Replies: 23
Views: 1976

Re: And then there were three........

claretburns wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:34 pm
Can we refrain from our the politics on this thread? This is about a man who along with "The Few" defended our country bravely and not a thread for political crap and point scoring. RIP
You should tell that to the politicians!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:59 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: And then there were three........
Replies: 23
Views: 1976

Re: And then there were three........

I'm quite glad there are no wars that the masses have to serve in. Bonkers to hark back to these days as though it was somehow better. Being involved in a war doesn't make you a better leader. Perhaps not, however, being in an environment surrounded by others, from various backgrounds, who may or m...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:18 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Referee confirmed for Newcastle game
Replies: 8
Views: 839

Re: Referee confirmed for Newcastle game

thelaughingclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:33 pm
Who is in charge of VAR is more important then the on field ref as the VAR ref has the power to overrule the on field ref if they have a different opinion.
Our friend Kevin! ;)
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:11 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Jim Smith RIP
Replies: 22
Views: 1727

Re: Jim Smith RIP

Sad to read this news. RIP Jim Smith.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:55 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Newcastle offer free half season tickets
Replies: 22
Views: 1341

Re: Newcastle offer free half season tickets

Cheers for that. I think the 16k season was when I saw gates of single figures occasionally. In the League Cup against Bury on Wednesday 27 August 1980 they had a crowd of 9,072 and won 3-2 but then lost the second leg and went out. Their lowest League gate was on 11 April 1981 against Cambridge wh...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:01 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Newcastle offer free half season tickets
Replies: 22
Views: 1341

Re: Newcastle offer free half season tickets

Well spotted. You are right. And the Geordies haven't always been that well supported. I'm pretty certain (without checking) that sometime in the 80's or so they were getting gates in single figures. Their lowest average was in 1980/81 when it was 16,001 over the season. The previous low before tha...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:16 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Referee confirmed for Newcastle game
Replies: 8
Views: 839

Re: Referee confirmed for Newcastle game

Local cricketer wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:22 pm
How the hell has he made it into the prem? Pendle charity league wouldn't have him
They probably didn't want to pay his travel expenses! :)
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:10 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Newcastle offer free half season tickets
Replies: 22
Views: 1341

Re: Newcastle offer free half season tickets

This is an odd one because I thought (obviously wrongly) that they pretty much had a full house for every game. The capacity is around 52,300 and last weekend they were 10,000 below that. Their attendances this season have been poor by their standards becuse of the protesters! 11/8/2019 Arsenal 47,...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:59 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: ARTICLE: The cupboard was bare
Replies: 15
Views: 1391

Re: ARTICLE: The cupboard was bare

Good read Dave and a reminder that football is only a game which fills part of our lives with mixed emotions. No point these days in taking it serious because, as you say, it is what it is and we will never win the PL!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:19 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: 18 Thousand Strong Home Support Dropping
Replies: 79
Views: 3610

Re: 18 Thousand Strong Home Support Dropping

It was Palace's first game outside London in about 3 months, so hardly surprising they packed out the away end. If they'd had successive long hauls up t'North in the last month, I doubt it would have been anywhere near as many............................................................................
by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:22 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: 18 Thousand Strong Home Support Dropping
Replies: 79
Views: 3610

Re: 18 Thousand Strong Home Support Dropping

As an older fan, I have found that the game at this level is changing beyond recognition, aided and abetted by FIFA and the media. I have always enjoyed a keenly contested game in which tackling was an art and players accepted that they may well pick up the odd injury in a game of physical contact, ...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:01 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Westwood yellow card
Replies: 15
Views: 837

Re: Westwood yellow card

I've now seen it all again and there are two absolutely appalling decisions from the referee Paul Tierney. First, the awarding of a free kick against Tarkowski is just downright ridiculous and then the yellow card is for no other reason than him standing there lining up the wall. This, sadly, is th...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:56 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Westwood yellow card
Replies: 15
Views: 837

Re: Westwood yellow card

Assume he means it was a needless card and he now gets to miss two very tough games? He is suspended for the Palace game only. It was a ridiculous booking because he was helping set up the wall, the ball was dead and could not be played until the referee had measured the 10 yards and then blown for...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:10 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Football on amazon
Replies: 14
Views: 679

Re: Football on amazon

It's a pain in the arse when we have to kick off at 8-15 just for their benefit! I shall probably arrive home at around 2o'clock in the morning, provided that the A1 does not have any overnght closures which would result in a detour of around 50 miles. Have to be up early next morning for an importa...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:04 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Championship talent
Replies: 50
Views: 3096

Re: Championship talent

For the first time in our history it's no longer necessary for us to sell players in order to finance a signing. In any case if we agreed a fee of say £24 million for Bowen that would most likely be paid in three equal annual installments of £8 million. I have a feelig that his agent will have been...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:00 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Referees confirmed for Crystal Palace and Manchester City games
Replies: 21
Views: 1441

Re: Referees confirmed for Crystal Palace and Manchester City games

conyoviejo wrote:Sums them up,neither good enough for the premier league. ;)
In the opinion of the knowledgeable Burnley fans who do their best to keep up with the changes in The Laws of the Game but often fall a little bit short! ;)
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:16 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Marco Silva
Replies: 145
Views: 21357

Re: Marco Silva

Tarkowski was booked for taking out Deulofeu just before half time. A definite yellow card. In these days it was, however, because the referee then deemed his fair tackle to be a foul, presumably for endangering an opponent, he should have received a second caution and been dismissed. KRBFC is corr...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:47 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Premier League's richest owners
Replies: 50
Views: 3118

Re: Premier League's richest owners

............ Newcastle have actually been supported by Ashley more than a lot of the stories suggest. They had a £110m wage bill in the Championship for instance which obviously had to be subsidised by him. Very true aggi, but don't tell their fans that ---they have their own agenda and refuse to a...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:49 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Gary Rhodes
Replies: 28
Views: 2202

Re: Gary Rhodes

That is a shock. We met him on a cruise a few years ago and he was a smashing bloke to talk to.

Very sad news.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:24 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Referees confirmed for Crystal Palace and Manchester City games
Replies: 21
Views: 1441

Re: Referees confirmed for Crystal Palace and Manchester City games

ClaretTony wrote:Bottom of RATE THE REF although he did give us the penalty on Saturday
This will be his third PL match and I think that it will also be the third time he has refereed us, the other two having been in the Championship.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:59 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Burnley v Crewe - U23 Latest
Replies: 36
Views: 3107

Re: Burnley v Crewe - U23 Latest

Good win to keep the undefeated run going. See how things go on Friday in the PLC!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:09 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Sorry for Burnley fans.
Replies: 55
Views: 5228

Re: Sorry for Burnley fans.

Quite a laugh seeing opposition fans moaning, however, we also have quite a number of our own fans who just don't get the wonderful 'team' performances we produce. Every player plays his part but it is not always appreciated by some.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:49 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: RATE THE REF - Paul Tierney v Watford
Replies: 42
Views: 1746

Re: RATE THE REF - Paul Tierney v Watford

Suratclaret wrote:His only positive contribution was blowing his whistle at the end of the match and I'm surprised he got that right!!
Sorry, I have to disagree. His most positive contribution was blowing his whistle to start the match otherwise we would not have had a match. :)
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:43 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Westwood
Replies: 22
Views: 1542

Re: Westwood

IanMcL wrote:Referee was a wan ker first class.
Ian, he wasn't as good as that! ;)
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:10 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Westwood
Replies: 22
Views: 1542

Re: Westwood

That is two away games on the trot that we have had terrible decisions from referees who just seemed to want to give decisions for the home team ---one game we lost but not his one!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:05 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: RATE THE REF - Paul Tierney v Watford
Replies: 42
Views: 1746

Re: RATE THE REF - Paul Tierney v Watford

I’ve always tried to rate referees regardless of the result although I do accept that the frustration levels increase when you get a poor result. At least people are more accepting of the criticism after a good result. I’m pleased to see some comments about the Tarkowski incident. I was baffled by ...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:57 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Wot for? Versus MIGHTY CLARETS
Replies: 280
Views: 6329

Re: Wot for? Versus MIGHTY CLARETS

Another stupid booking for Westwood, which I think means he's suspended next Saturday. Westwood was doing nothing wrong because the referee had indicated that the free kick wold be taken on his whistle and he had not yet meaasured out the 10 yards for the wall. Westwood was entirely within his righ...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:19 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: NZ vs England (1st test) 10 PM GMT
Replies: 110
Views: 3822

Re: NZ vs England (1st test) 10 PM GMT

We have not bowled well in this first session today. Much too short at times, not enough on line and making the batsmen play, in fact, quite poor really!
This could turn out to be a very tight game.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Pochettino sacked!
Replies: 110
Views: 3510

Re: Pochettino sacked!

A lot more to this than we possibly thought.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... tion-small
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:04 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: England U21s. Dwights on(at last)
Replies: 42
Views: 2574

Re: England U21s

Tricky Trevor wrote:Away to Holland. 5.30 BT1, should be plenty of streams.
Not sure if Dwight is in this squad as it was U23s t’other day.
It was the Under 21s that beat Albania 3-0 and Dwight is in the squad.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:12 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Grounds That Burnley Haven't Had Much Change From
Replies: 52
Views: 1712

Re: Grounds That Burnley Haven't Had Much Change From

Molyneux was always the ground I didn't like. In spite of winning 3 of our last 10 visits our record there is Won 12 Drawn 11 Lost 43.
Villa Park was also never much of a happy hunting ground.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:47 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: VAR changes
Replies: 95
Views: 2787

Re: VAR changes

Slowing down play for things like handball and fouls, without changing the interpretation of the laws, was bound to be an issue. Every details is scrutinised and the laws weren't written for slow mo replays and poring over pixel perfect offsides. Just get rid. It's spoiling the enjoyment of a goal....
by Ashingtonclaret46
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:43 am
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: VAR changes
Replies: 95
Views: 2787

Re: VAR changes

Embarrassingly poor response to what has been a disaster this season. In my 45 years of following football I can not remember so much negative feeling about the game as we had this year. It’s not just VAR to blame though - the rules for offside and handball are also to blame. For offside it needs c...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: VAR changes
Replies: 95
Views: 2787

Re: VAR changes

Once the corner is given it’s a different phase of play for the goal - I think, but there again I’m as confused as anyone with bloody VAR. Correct CT. The interesting thing in this is that we were given two more corners on Saturday which should not have been given if the AR had given the offside de...
by Ashingtonclaret46
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: VAR changes
Replies: 95
Views: 2787

Re: VAR changes

The Laws are basically the same, however, the interpretation of them is changing on a weekly basis, mainly thanks to VAR.
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:49 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Chief of Global Football Development
Replies: 12
Views: 679

Re: Chief of Global Football Development

bfcjg wrote:He wont see anything.
Perhaps not, however, he will have access to VAR for another look!
by Ashingtonclaret46
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:52 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Happy Thread
Replies: 72
Views: 1190

Re: Happy Thread

I woke up this morning so I am happy ---nothing to add! :D
by Ashingtonclaret46
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 pm
Forum: The Bee Hole End
Topic: Spot the Gaff
Replies: 35
Views: 2011

Re: Barnes and Wood

Chris Wood has made 59 PL starts for Burnley and scored 20 goals, in addition he has come on as a sub in 13 PL games and scored 5 goals ---not a bad rate for a striker.