ARTICLE: Town set for change as Clarets face trip to Newcastle

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

ARTICLE: Town set for change as Clarets face trip to Newcastle

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Latest from the 1959/60 season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/town-set-fo ... -newcastle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1274 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Re: ARTICLE: Town set for change as Clarets face trip to Newcastle

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:07 pm

Back to winning way even though it was not a vintage performance. George Eastham was a superb player and I think that was his last season at Newcastle before his landmark High Court victory which opened up a whole new era for professional footballers. He moved on to bigger and better things at Arsenal whilst we were searching for consistency in results.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:Back to winning way even though it was not a vintage performance. George Eastham was a superb player and I think that was his last season at Newcastle before his landmark High Court victory which opened up a whole new era for professional footballers. He moved on to bigger and better things at Arsenal whilst we were searching for consistency in results.
Think it could have been his last season at Newcastle because I can only seem to remember him from Arsenal and then Stoke

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:49 pm

Newcastle were a poorish side on paper Eastham apart, they were relegated the following season in 61.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1274 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:09 pm

The Newcastle game was the first time we'd seen what many considered to be our strongest line-up of Blacklaw, Angus, Elder, Adamson, Cummings, Miller, Connelly, Mac, Pointer, Robson & Pilkington (although Bobby Seith might well have had an argument to be included).

There was a short quote from Alex Elder many years later........." This was my second game. Almost 40,000 fans saw a strong Newcastle side with star players Jimmy Scoular, Bob Stokoe, Ivor Allchurch, George Eastham and Bobby Mitchell outplayed by our team. I played as well that day as I've ever done in my career"

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:18 am

Jimmy Scouler was one of those players who were politely called uncompromising! In other words, he could be a bit of a thug. Brilliant obituary on line from Ivan Ponting who described him as a footballing volcano but not of the dormant variety.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:51 am

Clarets fans called Scoular "onion-head" on account of his long receding hair on top of an outsized head. Nobody brave enough to call it to his face though!
This user liked this post: Suratclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 am

CleggHall wrote:Clarets fans called Scoular "onion-head" on account of his long receding hair on top of an outsized head. Nobody brave enough to call it to his face though!
I think you might mean nobody DAFT enough to call it to his face :D :D :D
This user liked this post: Suratclaret

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:10 am

The same obituary described him as " tackling like a runaway coal wagon"

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:15 am

It was Scoular who took Jimmy Mac out with a shocking challenge in one of his early games for Burnley, Scoular was then playing for Portsmouth. He put Jmmy into the enclosure at Fratton Park which was a drop from the pitch.

Jimmy Mac looked up and Scoular called him a Fenian b@st@rd to which Mac replied: "But I'm protestant". Scoular was very apologetic then and Jimmy Mac said he never fouled him again and said he would just let him go through.