Today's Brexit vote

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Re: Today's Brexit vote

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:20 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Why the obsession with Germany from some posters? It's not Germany that we should be concerned about in these negotiations. They would most likely be more sympathetic than most of their neighbours to us having full access to the single market so that they can sell their cars etc. to us. (They are net exporters to the UK).
The trouble with that argument is that Germany need freedom of movement so migrants can help their plunging demographics. They need freedom of capital so people and firms continue to invest in German banks rather than, say, Italian ones.

Those two freedoms are likely to be more important to them so if we get to cherry pick but stay in the single market, and others want to follow our lead, it will affect Germany badly. So I expect they will be hugely resistant to any deal.

Saying that though, we hold all the aces, if we hold our nerve, we get a deal anyway. Even if we don't it isn't the end of the world for us.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:46 pm

Only the totally misinformed or a UKIp supporter could say with a straight face "We hold all the aces"

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Ha ha. I've been accused of many things Lancaster but being misinformed has never been one of them :-) . I'm a LD voter by the way, at least I was, can't see my doing it again after this farce.

Your view on who holds the cards will be shaped by your view on the economics arising from various scenarios. My view (having read the whole 300 page OBR document that fed the Autumn Statement) is that whatever happens we will be one of the healthiest nations in Europe economically. I don't have exactly the same view as the OBR but I do understand where every figure has come from and where I think the flaws in their approach are which leads to it being a bit pessimistic.

We hold the aces. Whether we have the balls to play them is another matter.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:03 pm

I don't argue with the premises that Brexit could either be great, average or poor. Thats a given. No one really knows how it will work out, but lets be really fair and say the prognosis isn't totally bad.

My disbelief is the assertion that "We hold all the aces"

We don't, as we relying on 27 other nations to agree to what we want.

You'll have to elaborate on how that is "holding all the aces"!

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:461-89 MPs vote in favour of Brexit.

There's calls for treason charges for the 89, I say just enjoy victory.

Get in there Brexit. Rule Britannia and all that.
Treason! How ridiculous. Most of these brexiteers are so stupid that they only voted leave because they want to get rid of all the slightly tinted people from their neighborhoods. Leaving Europe will not stop the flow of people from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria etc. coming into the country one bit. I personally would prefer to get rid of most of the ignorant British people, which includes the bulk of the population, and replace them with intelligent ENGLISH SPEAKING Europeans. The problem then arises about what you would do with all the displaced Brits because no one else would want them on a permanent basis.

There, now if that doesn't get a few people upset nothing will.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:21 pm

dermotdermot wrote:Treason! How ridiculous. Most of these brexiteers are so stupid that they only voted leave because they want to get rid of all the slightly tinted people from their neighborhoods. Leaving Europe will not stop the flow of people from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria etc. coming into the country one bit. I personally would prefer to get rid of most of the ignorant British people, which includes the bulk of the population, and replace them with intelligent ENGLISH SPEAKING Europeans. The problem then arises about what you would do with all the displaced Brits because no one else would want them on a permanent basis.

There, now if that doesn't get a few people upset nothing will.
Agreed, the country has been tainted by the stench of racism, the rest of the world looks on in both dismay and shock at how our once tolerant, progressive country became an embodiment of the third Reich overnight. I feel total and utter shame to be English, I have always had nothing but disdain for the white working class and this result has elevated my disgust to unprecedented levels.They really are such distasteful, regressive cretins; their nationalism and patriotism makes me physically nauseous. This is partly why I am so pro-immigration, as WWC "communities" are usually the ones that receive the largest number of migrant influxes, and as a result overtime their culture gets slowly diluted, which of course is a good thing. That, and it also makes me look more compassionate, enlightened and progressive to my liberal friends.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:46 pm

The only thing the government will care about is letting the financial sector of London continue to trade euros.

After that I suspect the gov, wants to stay in the free market - along with all those pesky bendy banana rules - but knows it cannot sell the freedom of movement of people that comes with it.

And no ones comes up with a solution to the Irish border yet.

But like most reasonable said Parliment voted to go ahead with A50 so now let's just wait and see.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:56 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Is that a private joke?

He sorts any local issues within a couple of days. Were the rest just seem to listen abd not follow things up.
Alan Hosker is a good and diligent local Councillor.With no previous experience, he was elected to the Council for one year in 2015, when one of the three Labour Councillors decided he couldn't be bothered anymore, and triggered a by-election to coincide with that years local elections.

He won in a General Election year, winning against the Labour Mayor's brother-in-law, with the might of the Labour party's resources thrown at him. As it was a by-election, he had to stand again in 2016, when he was re-elected due to his good work. Hapton with Park's other two ineffectual Labour Councillors, basically refuse to work with him. Despite this, he's helped people of all political stripes with issues in his ward, hence " Quickenthetempo's " quote above...

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Walton wrote:Julie Cooper should act on behalf of those who voted for her. It's more than likely that Brexiters didn't vote for her last time, so **** em.
Once an MP is elected, it is their role to try and help any constituent, howsoever they voted. If a member of the public turned up at one of her "surgeries" , with a personal problem..delayed benefits, immigration problem etc, are you seriously suggesting she asks " Did you vote Labour ? "...
and frame her reply accordingly ??

Of course not, and Mrs Cooper would be the first to agree with me. I profoundly disagree with her on lots of issues, not the least of which is Brexit, but I do not doubt the sincerity of her beliefs & convictions. The current habit of the Corbynite wing of Labour of describing anyone who opposes them as " Red-Tories ", " Blairites ", or " Fascists " get's us no-where.. we need to rediscover the art of debate, agreeing to disagree etc...

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 pm

dermotdermot wrote: The problem then arises about what you would do with all the displaced Brits because no one else would want them on a permanent basis.

The black clad sandal wearing militant lefties could try the final solution.

Nearly 17 million of us racists going for a shower in Poland.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Quite a telling comment from Anna Soubry in the commons earlier:

Ms Soubry says that she, and other Remain supporters, have felt sidelined, ignored, and abused - "and we are sick and tired of it".
"We are entitled to our opinion, we are entitled to be heard, and entitled to express our opinion," she says.
She also warns of the anger of the younger generation on the referendum result, saying that many of them feel an older generation stole their future.
She answers the jeers that this comment draws by telling MPs "remember those 16 and 17-years-old will be your voters in 2020".

So is it really cut and dried that UKIP will do well at the next election, when those 16-17 year olds are mainly Labour supporters?

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Spijed wrote: She also warns of the anger of the younger generation on the referendum result, saying that many of them feel an older generation stole their future.

What a load of b0llocks.

Did the older generation steal the future of the younger generation in 1975 as well?
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:42 pm

Spijed wrote: She also warns of the anger of the younger generation on the referendum result, saying that many of them feel an older generation stole their future.
I'm in my mid 30's and lots of my old school friends were busy blaming the older generation for stealing their future :lol:

One lad was calling his parents all sorts of names on FB, to the point that my mum ripped him apart for his behaviour.
I almost had to get the popcorn out it was that amusing.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Spijed wrote:Quite a telling comment from Anna Soubry in the commons earlier:

Ms Soubry says that she, and other Remain supporters, have felt sidelined, ignored, and abused - "and we are sick and tired of it".
"We are entitled to our opinion, we are entitled to be heard, and entitled to express our opinion," she says.
She also warns of the anger of the younger generation on the referendum result, saying that many of them feel an older generation stole their future.
She answers the jeers that this comment draws by telling MPs "remember those 16 and 17-years-old will be your voters in 2020".

So is it really cut and dried that UKIP will do well at the next election, when those 16-17 year olds are mainly Labour supporters?
A bit rich coming from Anna Soubry... her supporters feel sidelined, ignored and abused, oh Dear !!
Who do you think were the tipping force in the Referendum... It was those in the Regions who've felt " sidelined, ignored and abused " by the three major parties, accused of being "Fascists", "Thick Northerners", "Bigots" and "Closet Racists, Fruitcakes & Nutcases "...

This is the same Anna Soubry, who was a Defence minister when the MOD placed an order for 4 Navy supply ships with a Korean shipyard. She defended it on QT, by saying that as they didn't carry defensive arms, EU rules dictated that they went out to world-wide tender. Portsmouth & other British shipyards were crying out for work ( 1 job in a Shipyard is said to support 6 others, in the supply chain,local economy etc ).
The French & Germans shook their heads in dis-belief, " We'd have specified a machine gun mounting on the front & rear of the ship, classed it as arms carrying, and kept the jobs in Bremen, Marseilles etc "

Finally, 16/17 year olds who'll be 18/21 in 2020, are the least likely demographic to vote .....

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:01 pm

Just because they have to go out to world wide tender, it doesn't mean the work has to go outside of the UK does it?

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Of course she's entitled to her opinion that the voters got it wrong. Where she goes too far is the implication that because the voters got it wrong, then the voters should be ignored. This is the whole point of a democracy - that the voters are allowed to get it wrong. If you allow the voters to vote but only one answer will be accepted as correct, then it's not democracy any more.

Why does she (along with many others) assume that the 16 and 17 year olds will have the same views in their future as they do now? History suggests many of them won't. For example, the referendum about joining the EEC in 1975 was 2 to 1 in favour, across all demographics, and yet those young people who were 2 to 1 in favour of the EEC are now the same people, now 60+ year old, who voted strongly against the EU.

It's another common view that people who have experienced the EEC transforming into the EU and know a fair bit about the politicians and beauraucrats behind it, are being told that they shouldn't have used that experience to make a decision, they should have voted the way their 16-year-old child or grandchild told them to do. But if experience is to be considered such a bad thing, then why don't we have a 16 year old Prime Minister too?
These 4 users liked this post: Murger Sidney1st Clarets4me RingoMcCartney

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:38 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Just because they have to go out to world wide tender, it doesn't mean the work has to go outside of the UK does it?
It would've been against EU regulations to " favour " a UK bid, purely on National grounds. However, if the ships carried arms, or may need to carry arms, ( Gun mountings ), then under EU regulations, the UK could have placed the order with a British manufacturer, no questions asked !
The chances are that a German MP/Top ranking Civil Servant, may well have a relative or friend who's employed in the Engineering/Manufacturing sector.They see their top Engineers/Designers as equivalent to Doctors/Professors/Barristers etc...our top Civil Servants think an engineer is a man with an oily rag in overalls, or someone who repairs your Boiler !

During our Common Market/European Economic Community/European Union membership, our senior Civil Servants & Law makers ( Think Sir Humphrey from " Yes,Minister "), have consistantly " Gold plated " rules from Brussels, to the n'th Degree, to try and prove that we're " Good Europeans ", and apply them rigidly..
The rest of Europe seem to ignore what rules don't suit them, loosely adapting them as " Recommendations " etc, and that's before we look into the EU NATO members who pay F*** All to defend themselves, assuming the Americans & the British will do it for them

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:40 pm

Well that's my something new learnt today, cheers.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:08 am

They will be too busy taking selfies to bother to vote, the yoof don't vote.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:10 am

Sidney1st wrote:Just because they have to go out to world wide tender, it doesn't mean the work has to go outside of the UK does it?
against EU competition law im afraid.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:16 am

claretandy wrote:against EU competition law im afraid.
From what I've read further up, it would appear our politicians are quite naïve about how to get round the rules, or they're unwilling.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:40 am

What laws require a tender to be made available worldwide? Obviously many tenders are open across the EU to comply with EU procurement regulations.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:52 am

I remember when warning that this was going to happen was dismissed as scaremongering.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38245646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:57 am

Poor turtle still trying
These 2 users liked this post: RingoMcCartney SussexDon1inIreland

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:05 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:That one might have gone a bit over your head.

No worries
He's talking about Hitler's promise to pre-war germans.

Nice post. Links UKIP to the Nazis, implicit in there is his view on Brexit and asserts his intellectual superiority in one little package, nicely wrapped up by an expression of indifference. Full marks
Last edited by Chobulous on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:11 am

Cheers!

Mussolini actually though I think

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:50 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:I remember when warning that this was going to happen was dismissed as scaremongering.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38245646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, it wasn't dismissed as scaremongering. Actually, although this may come as a surprise to you, banks have always considered moving bases for tax, regulatory, and other advantages - if you're trying to imply that pre-Brexit banks never considered moving bases for tax or regulatory advantages, I'm afraid you're wrong.

Do you consider Benoit de Juvigny to be an impartial adviser? Or would you suspect his statements about French banking to be inclined to optimism?

biggles
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by biggles » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:24 am

so the robbing banking barstewards are blackmailing the country again. let the theiving **** sod off to France. i bet that most of 'em don't even pay tax to this country, so we won't miss their 'contribution' too much. it might affect house prices in London if a few banks go but I'm not too worried about that; are you? ps. i voted 'leave' and i'm not even a proper racist. should i have voted 'remain'?

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:29 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:I remember when warning that this was going to happen was dismissed as scaremongering.

Interesting to see a left wing, liberal fighting for the continuence and strength of the banking sector.
These 2 users liked this post: RingoMcCartney biggles

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:49 am

A rare thing!

Demanding social justice for the 1%!

All together now!

"What do they expect ?"

"Wealth , privilege and entitlement!"

"When do they expect it!?

Oh hang on. They've err already err got.........

Anybody fancy a pint?

Oh. Forgot I'm not old enough to drink!

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:55 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:Interesting to see a left wing, liberal fighting for the continuence and strength of the banking sector.

You think that's what i'm doing? You don't think i'm thinking of the huge current and potential tax revenue we'd be giving away? Revenue that could go towards fully funding vital public services like the NHS.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:58 am

dsr wrote:No, it wasn't dismissed as scaremongering. Actually, although this may come as a surprise to you, banks have always considered moving bases for tax, regulatory, and other advantages - if you're trying to imply that pre-Brexit banks never considered moving bases for tax or regulatory advantages, I'm afraid you're wrong.

Do you consider Benoit de Juvigny to be an impartial adviser? Or would you suspect his statements about French banking to be inclined to optimism?

Of course they consider it, but they don't do this everyday
Due diligence is the process of close scrutiny that major businesses go through prior to a major deal. It is detailed and expensive, and even wealthy banks don't undertake it lightly.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Sidney1st wrote:From what I've read further up, it would appear our politicians are quite naïve about how to get round the rules, or they're unwilling.
The latter, without a shadow of a doubt.

Remember, the people governing us are neo-liberal to the absolute core. If you think they believe in protectionism, you're severely mistaken. They will send any British industry to the wall if the price is right.

The way they handled the dumping of cheap steel on the market by China was a perfect example of this. The EU voted to apply tariff's to cheap Chinese steel to 'protect' European (Britain's included) steel industries.

Britain voted against it. Sod em, they said.
Last edited by JohnMcGreal on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:06 pm

Thats the great thing about Brexit.

If you really, really want it, then you can change any argument to deny its anything to do with Brexit.

biggles
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by biggles » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:16 pm

similarly, Lancaster, you could, if you so choose, redact any statement in favour of 'remain'. in fact, why bother redacting a statement when you can either select pro-remain statements and only show them or just make it up to suit your political leanings. both sides of the argument do it. most of us only choose to believe what we want to believe.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:19 pm

This is true and its not normally something that I'd bring up, but DSR statement is taking it to the extremes.

You don't relocate from the worlds banking capital for anything other than seismic changes, and that change is Brexit.

Like IT says, the tax revenues are going to take a hell of a hit, which lessens the chances of investment in our part of the country.

Not good news at all, and all completely avoidable

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Of course they consider it, but they don't do this everyday
There is a big political change coming, so the banks are looking into the options. You think that's big news? Banks looking into options isn't news any more than the sun coming up tomorrow will be news. It'll only be news if they decide to move, not if they look at the options.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:This is true and its not normally something that I'd bring up, but DSR statement is taking it to the extremes.

You don't relocate from the worlds banking capital for anything other than seismic changes, and that change is Brexit.

Like IT says, the tax revenues are going to take a hell of a hit, which lessens the chances of investment in our part of the country.

Not good news at all, and all completely avoidable
Even the man quoted in the article, whose job remember is to talk up French banking as much as possible, doesn't say banks are relocating. He says that banks are considering forming a subsidiary to move some of the their business.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:31 pm

They wouldn't be even thinking about if it wasn't for Brexit.

I know that, and so do you.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Would I be right in thinking when we leave the EU we would be able to change tax laws to benefit us?

Like taxing firms on any business they do in the U.K rather than where the company is registered?

I'm sure someone cleverer than me could explain.

claretdom

Post by claretdom » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:44 pm

I presume everytime a business closed or moved to another country while we were in the EU the idiotic turtle started similar stuff ?

I am beginning to think its a jock thing after the last few specials they have sent to represent them on QT, hopefully another brain donor tonight.

Bacchus
Been Liked: 599 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Bacchus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:51 pm

dsr wrote:Even the man quoted in the article, whose job remember is to talk up French banking as much as possible, doesn't say banks are relocating. He says that banks are considering forming a subsidiary to move some of the their business.
Take the blinkers off for a moment, would you? No bank is moving yet, that's why nobody is reporting that a bank is moving yet. If (still a big if) we lose the ability to freely move capital around the EU a lot of banks will give it serious consideration. Will they stay or go? Who knows, but it's a massive risk (banks contribute something like 6% of our GDP) and to dismiss it as baseless scaremongering is just daft.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:52 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Would I be right in thinking when we leave the EU we would be able to change tax laws to benefit us?

Like taxing firms on any business they do in the U.K rather than where the company is registered?

Problem with that is that any British firm would be taxed in a reciprocal manner.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Bloomberg reporting that McDonald's is going to set up a holding company here in the UK.

Moving FROM jean claude junckers luxemburg.

( Drunker was one of the architects of one of the biggest tax avoidance schemes the world has seen)

Where it will pay it's taxes for all operations outside the usa.

Just mentioned on bbc 2
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:56 pm

hopefully another brain donor tonight.
Mencsh and Farage

If the audience is full of people like them its going to be like the Nuremburg rallies

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Would I be right in thinking when we leave the EU we would be able to change tax laws to benefit us?

Couldn't we already do that, in theory? I thought the problem was that large corporations tend to be one step ahead of the state when working out tax loopholes rather than the EU insisting that all tax due from global corporations should be paid in Luxembourg.

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Mencsh and Farage

If the audience is full of people like them its going to be like the Nuremburg rallies
It has a distinctly right-wing feel about it, tonight. Will Self should make things interesting though.

JohnMcGreal

Post by JohnMcGreal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:27 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:( Drunker was one of the architects of one of the biggest tax avoidance schemes the world has seen)
Second only to the biggest and most complex tax avoidance scheme the world has seen - the use of British Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies to funnel tens of billions through secret companies.

If you think the UK, outside of the EU, will do anything to tackle tax avoidance on that scale, you're mistaken. The only thing we'll do to eradicate tax avoidance is to eradicate tax for the rich altogether, so that there's nothing to avoid.

JohnMcGreal

Post by JohnMcGreal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Bacchus wrote:It has a distinctly right-wing feel about it, tonight. Will Self should make things interesting though.
It's fantastic trolling from the beeb. What better way to cap off a ghastly year like 2016 than to invite two of the most ghastly people in British politics onto the panel at the same time. I'm surprised they didn't get Hopkins on to complete the hat-trick of loathsome arse holes.

claretdom

Post by claretdom » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 pm

If you have found this year ghastly surely you should be happy things are going to change seen as this ghastly year has been spent in the EU