OT Virgin media broadband advice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

OT Virgin media broadband advice

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:17 pm

I'm just posting really to ask whether those that are with Virgin media have been having very bad internet speeds at night? (Typically 6pm til 2am). I'm paying for 200mb (to stream the burnley games) but I'm getting around 10mps and even 5mbs last night with a very high ping (over 30). I've tried ringing on several occasions and got nowhere. I've even had an engineer out which didn't solve the issue so was wondering if anyone on here has had similar issues?

I'm also looking at changing my Internet provider. What is reccomended? I don't mind paying good money for a service if that is what I'm going to get. 5mps out of 200mps certainly isn't.

Thanks in advance fellow clarets.

Stevie2112
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 473 times

Re: OT Virgin media broadband advice

Post by Stevie2112 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:21 pm

Never had a problem with it ,always comes over at top speed.Give them a ring to see if it is a problem at your end.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:24 pm

Already tried several times stevie.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:26 pm

Conversely, I have always had a problem with VB broadband. Pay for top whack and am lucky to get a signal at times.

I phoned them and an engineer spent some time on it remotely. It was great for a while then went dodgy again. Not recommended for the amount I pay.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Just an FYI for people :

Depending on your device, it may only be able to accept a set number of MBs from your wifi, even if you're receiving 200mb.

You technically only get 10% of that amount anyway, if you're downloading torrents etc you generally will get 10mb/s (100mb speed) and 20mb/s (200mb speed).

Also, if you're using a PC/laptop to stream, again, your computer might not have the capacity to receive 150/200mb, and you need to upgrade your LAN card.

An example also is a PS4 I think can only receive 5mb TOPS on wireless, and 20mb wired.

I have had VM for a long, long time and never have any issues, though I do know a lot of people who do sometimes.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:46 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Just an FYI for people :

Depending on your device, it may only be able to accept a set number of MBs from your wifi, even if you're receiving 200mb.

You technically only get 10% of that amount anyway, if you're downloading torrents etc you generally will get 10mb/s (100mb speed) and 20mb/s (200mb speed).

Also, if you're using a PC/laptop to stream, again, your computer might not have the capacity to receive 150/200mb, and you need to upgrade your LAN card.

An example also is a PS4 I think can only receive 5mb TOPS on wireless, and 20mb wired.

I have had VM for a long, long time and never have any issues, though I do know a lot of people who do sometimes.

I'd settle for 50 or 60mb tbh. I can't stream with a 30 ping and 5mps speed. I'm going to buy the dogs ******** android box in the new year (may even be the nvidia shield). My imac can receive 100mbs and get 80 or 90 before 6 then boom....down to 8 or 9.

Newty
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Newty » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:36 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:I'm just posting really to ask whether those that are with Virgin media have been having very bad internet speeds at night? (Typically 6pm til 2am). I'm paying for 200mb (to stream the burnley games) but I'm getting around 10mps and even 5mbs last night with a very high ping (over 30). I've tried ringing on several occasions and got nowhere. I've even had an engineer out which didn't solve the issue so was wondering if anyone on here has had similar issues?

I'm also looking at changing my Internet provider. What is reccomended? I don't mind paying good money for a service if that is what I'm going to get. 5mps out of 200mps certainly isn't.

Thanks in advance fellow clarets.
I've had the 50mb virgin media for years and it's been faultless for 2 years, I even get about 60-70 mb when I do a speed test so I'm getting more than I pay for.

HOWEVER! The last few weeks have been awful, at best I get 25mb and at worst 2mb in the evening's. Do you live in or around Burnley?

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Newty wrote:I've had the 50mb virgin media for years and it's been faultless for 2 years, I even get about 60-70 mb when I do a speed test so I'm getting more than I pay for.

HOWEVER! The last few weeks have been awful, at best I get 25mb and at worst 2mb in the evening's. Do you live in or around Burnley?
Padiham area. It's been happening since I started monitoring 6 months ago.

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:18 pm

Set up a ping monitor at the link. This will tell you whether the issue is the incoming broadband, or the distribution from your router (more likely). People refer to their internet speed, when in reality they are referring to their internal network speed (normally a WILAN). Get armed with the ping monitor data over a few days

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After a day you should have something looking like this assuming all is well.

If you have blocks of red, or the blue bar (average latency or ping) is consistently high, then you have an issue with your incoming broadband. If the image looks like the one above yet you are still struggling with your devices, then look at your internal network. Check what 802.11 standard devices are connected to your network - for example, if you are running a fast 802.11n network, but you have an old device using say 802.11g it can slow the whole network down badly.

Secondly, if you are using the VM Superhub then you'll see vast improvements by stopping using it as a router, putting it in modem mode and using a decent router instead. The VM superhub is generally appalling. You'll want something far more configurable, at least so you can change the channel your wireless network runs on, especially if you have neighbours who are running fairly standard networks - try to avoid using the same channels.

Shift your router nearer to where you are more likely to be using your devices. If not possible, try using an access point to extend your network coverage. At the very least, move it away from anything metallic and away from other devices that emit RFI - baby monitors, microwaves, essentially anything that is electronic.

But above all, set up a ping monitor.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:27 pm

I use this to test speed - no need to register.

http://www.speedtest.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm with Sky and get 6.42 Mbps!

Just disconnected from Sky and tried via Three Mobile and it gets 36.89 ... around 6 times faster using my laptop connected via mobile phone connection vs Sky Router. Crazy.

dushanbe

Post by dushanbe » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:36 pm

The ping monitor isn't a speedtest. It looks at the overall quality of the incoming broadband. I'd recommend anyone to set one up, it gives you historical evidence of when an issue started, which is very helpful when you need to call your provider with an issue.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm on 200mbps also and I'm getting exactly the same terrible performance during peak hours.

I had 8mbps down and 0.5mps up earlier tonight. In a morning I can get as much as 220mpbs down and 12mbps uk.

Where about in Burnley are you gandhisflipflop?

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:52 pm

Just tried that speed test.net link. Getting 6.66mps down and 12mbps up!!

Fretters
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by Fretters » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:Padiham area. It's been happening since I started monitoring 6 months ago.
Another VM customer here paying for 100mb but getting appalling wireless speed, especially at night. I live in Padiham too. I've tried changing channel a few times to no avail.

Going to buy an Amazon fire box and plug my router directly into it.

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:06 pm

I'm up near Burnley General, so clearly not an area issue. I think hour headend router is in Manchester.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Fretters wrote:Another VM customer here paying for 100mb but getting appalling wireless speed, especially at night. I live in Padiham too. I've tried changing channel a few times to no avail.

Going to buy an Amazon fire box and plug my router directly into it.

In my case it makes no difference even with ethernet cables. Currently at 5mps.

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:21 pm

Please ring VM when it is happening. I just got off the phone to them and after lots of painful tests, they are going to ring me back tomorrow.

They said nobody had reported any faults in the Burnley area.

Ambrose
Been Liked: 272 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by Ambrose » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:52 pm

Mine seems OK in Blackpool

Ambrose
Been Liked: 272 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by Ambrose » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:56 pm

Our backup with Plusnet is not as good though.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:18 pm

[quote="Steddyman"]Please ring VM when it is happening. I just got off the phone to them and after lots of painful tests, they are going to ring me back tomorrow.

They said nobody had reported any faults in the Burnley area.[/quote

Well that's absolute ******** because I've been ringing when it's happening for months. Lost my rag last night

Newty

Post by Newty » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:38 pm

Steddyman wrote:Please ring VM when it is happening. I just got off the phone to them and after lots of painful tests, they are going to ring me back tomorrow.

They said nobody had reported any faults in the Burnley area.
In all honesty I need to just ring up, I've been having problems for weeks but the thought of sitting on hold for ages only to be put through to someone to be told "oh we cant really see any problems from our end, is there anything else I can help you with today?" gets me mad just thinking about it! :lol:

Although, as gandhisflipflop has just said, hes been ringing and ringing and had no help.

I did read on a different forum the other week that when they are laying new lines it can cause havoc in nearby areas?

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Update. I've been on the phone to them today and after loads of painful tests they have finally admitted what I had told them all a long - an over utilisation issue. They can not give me a fix date and upon telling them I wish to cancel as im paying for something I'm not getting they are wanting over 250 quid cancellation fee. Angry isn't the word.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:29 pm

Please speak in a language I understand.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:32 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:Please speak in a language I understand.

Over utilisation is the network unable to sustain the amount of people online at peak times, causing the speed to either slow down to a snails pace or worse still cut out. A fix for this would be the upgrade of the cables.
This user liked this post: hampsteadclaret

gc14
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by gc14 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:36 pm

My brother had an issue with them last week, managed to get through to somebody who wasn't speaking broken English from a text book and they told him they had been having issues with computers that have had Windows 10 updates .. He talked him through a few steps and he's back to full speed ..

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:03 pm

My comment was directed at the whole thread rather than just you mate.

dushanbe

Post by dushanbe » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:26 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:Over utilisation is the network unable to sustain the amount of people online at peak times, causing the speed to either slow down to a snails pace or worse still cut out. A fix for this would be the upgrade of the cables.
Well no, the fix for over utilisation is to be moved onto a less congested UBR channel. It's a common scenario often taking months to fix. You'll struggle to get anywhere quickly with the support people on the phone, but the VM support forums online are populated by helpful employees who will often sort things out

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:29 pm

It's called 'throttling' - It's part of their misselling (the small print). They're still (in my experience) the best Internet supplier around though. I wish I had it here, but have to settle for awful Sky.

Sky TV + VM Internet is the best you can get.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:02 pm

dushanbe wrote:Well no, the fix for over utilisation is to be moved onto a less congested UBR channel. It's a common scenario often taking months to fix. You'll struggle to get anywhere quickly with the support people on the phone, but the VM support forums online are populated by helpful employees who will often sort things out

I'm waiting for a response from the mods om their forum. Also they guy on the phone said new updated cables need to be laid down

dushanbe

Post by dushanbe » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:12 pm

With respect to the guy on the phone, that's why he's a guy on the phone

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:37 pm

I did find that using a VPN can sometimes help with throttling. I assume that some traffic is prioritised and some downgraded and if it's all encrypted then none is downgraded.

This was a few years ago though, my Virgin internet is pretty much always full speed now.

Newty

Post by Newty » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi all, my virgin media broadband problems have now been solved!
I was getting 10mb/s for the past 3 months or so, numerous calls to support ended up achieving nothing, and even knocked my router off for a full day.

I rang customer services instead of tech support and asked for their newest router. Just plugged it in and I'm getting 75mb/s now, I only pay for 50mb/s, so I assume this will fix itself once the proper settings have applied themselves.
I have a friend who was experiencing the same problem, and the new hub has solved his issue too.

Rung customer service, demand the new hub :!:

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:57 pm

Glad it's helped. It didn't help myself. Anyway a quick update. My Internet went off on 9th Jan and ordered plus net same day. They arrived last weds and was told when I rang up a day later that they then needed to place the fibre order (which they hadn't done until I rang) and it would take another 10 days! Anyway all going well it's due to go on this Sunday. Here's hoping the ordeal will be over pretty soon.

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by starting_11 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:02 pm

Wireless is funny. Try moving your router or your device around (even an inch can make a massive difference).

I'm not saying this is the problem/solution but try it anyway

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:31 pm

I've been 6 weeks trying to get this sorted with Virgin. I'm a network engineer and proved to them it was an uplink issue. This was using traceroute and ping logs against various targets.

Finally last Friday I had a senior engineering team visit me and they confirmed there is an issue on trunk 7 that is an uplink between Burnley and Manchester. During peak hours they are throttling the uplink to prevent it failing. They can't log a Burnley wide fault because it is one trunk and doesn't affect all Burnley. Also they can only log faults against the switch and not the uplink. I notice speed drops dramatically at 7pm even using a wired connection directly to the modem.

They confirmed there is a known fault and the resolution date for a fix is mid February. He gave me his email and said he would contact me when it is fixed.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:50 am

Steddyman wrote:I've been 6 weeks trying to get this sorted with Virgin. I'm a network engineer and proved to them it was an uplink issue. This was using traceroute and ping logs against various targets.

Finally last Friday I had a senior engineering team visit me and they confirmed there is an issue on trunk 7 that is an uplink between Burnley and Manchester. During peak hours they are throttling the uplink to prevent it failing. They can't log a Burnley wide fault because it is one trunk and doesn't affect all Burnley. Also they can only log faults against the switch and not the uplink. I notice speed drops dramatically at 7pm even using a wired connection directly to the modem.

They confirmed there is a known fault and the resolution date for a fix is mid February. He gave me his email and said he would contact me when it is fixed.

They told me a review date of mid June. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Newty

Post by Newty » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Steddyman wrote:I've been 6 weeks trying to get this sorted with Virgin. I'm a network engineer and proved to them it was an uplink issue. This was using traceroute and ping logs against various targets.

Hi steadyman, what is a "trunk"? Has my fix of getting the latest router affected what trunk I am connected to? Or is it just coincidence?
Cheers.

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:19 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:They told me a review date of mid June. I wouldn't hold your breath.
This wasn't a first or second line support call. This was a principle technician in my house who gave me his email. He checked the job order for a 10gb upgrade. He was the third engineer in my house in a month and the only one who knew exactly what was going on. The others were just regular engineers.

The trunk is the uplink (network cable) between Burnley and Manchester and the ports on the switch.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Never had a problem, but wouldn't expect too when paying close to £100 a month

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:57 pm

That's why it can't be logged as a Burnley wife fault because it doesn't affect everyone. I'm paying similar amounts but my 200mbps connection can drop below 2mbps at night.