Andre Gray

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretto
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Re: Andre Gray

Post by Claretto » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:51 pm

MACCA wrote:Thought he could have got a pen.

Will need to see it again, but looked like a pull on the shoulder when through on goal
Yeah he could've. Could've gotten the last man sent off vs Sunderland also. To his credit, he doesn't go down easily

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:54 pm

Claretto wrote:F'in stupid person
Yep you're that also if you are seriously saying Gray cost us a point today.....Vokes header ?

Did Vokes cost us a point aswell ?

Arfield giving Clichy too much room ? Cost us a point ?

Claretto
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Claretto » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:59 pm

TVC15 wrote:Yep you're that also if you are seriously saying Gray cost us a point today.....Vokes header ?

Did Vokes cost us a point aswell ?

Arfield giving Clichy too much room ? Cost us a point ?
Of these three events, Gray's was the most clear cut.

Vokes header: he did amazingly well to get as close as he did
Arfield: this is down to skill of Clichy as well as inadequacy of Arfield
Gray: clear cut chance that most prem strikers would've buried

He was dreadful throughout today. I remember on one occasion we were on the break and his first touch took the ball about 30 yards away! He is an amazing championship level striker, and proved this against a championship defence in the form of Sunderland. Yet to be seen if he can truly make an impact in the prem. On today's showing, it's a resounding 'no'.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Too honest and lacking a bit of "experience " has been our downfall today and in previous games.

O well, would I have taken 6 points from 9 last Monday morning. Damn right I would.

P3 W2 D0 L1 F6 A3

Great return, that all the bottom half would have taken with the same fixtures, get with the times!!

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Claretto wrote:Of these three events, Gray's was the most clear cut.

He was dreadful throughout today. I remember on one occasion we were on the break and his first touch took the ball about 30 yards away! He is an amazing championship level striker, and proved this against a championship defence in the form of Sunderland. Yet to be seen if he can truly make an impact in the prem. On today's showing, it's a resounding 'no'.
You are talking absolute boll-ocks

So all of a sudden Sunderland are being classed as a championship defence - didn't that same defence earn a draw against Liverpool today ?

Whether Gray had the best chance or not it's f'in ridiculous that you are saying one player cost us a point.

He got zero service today as Arfield is awful in central midfield and cannot pass a ball....and he brings Defour on when he should have started the game.

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Claretto wrote:Of these three events, Gray's was the most clear cut.

"He was dreadful throughout today"

That really is one of the silliest quotes that I have ever seen on this board". He simply wasn't.

There were a lot of posters quite happily eating humble pie after his performance against Sunderland. I find it hard to believe you really are a Burnley fan, attacking a player who has only recently got back into team and has just won us 6 points with his goals in the two previous games.

Ian Wright has been consistent in his praise of Gray and would much rather listen to his opinion than some negative wierdo.
This user liked this post: TVC15

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:12 pm

I was on row 1 on the bottom tier yesterday - so the view was pretty awful...especially when the ball was at the far end.

We did not have any real clue what happened with Grays "chance" in the 2nd half....but I assumed from the comments on this thread that it was a good one.

Thought it was a bit strange that MOTD did not show the chance - but blamed that on the usual crap BBC editing.

Just watched the 30 minute highlights on sky sports and they showed it - anyone who thinks that was anything other than a half chance at best for Gray is clueless.

To say that he cost us a point by missing it is even more ridiculous

Just saw the Sagna incident also and he should have definitely been sent off - I just don't get it as the linesman clearly saw it and the referee gave him a yellow card....how can it be yellow ? Either he did not see it and it's nothing or it's a red card. The yellow was a pure cop out because of what had happened earlier in the game....if you watch the highlights after Sagna is booked Mason walks away and Sagna follows him and screams at the ref 3 times....how the f-uck do they get away with it ?

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:40 am

ShabbaRanks wrote:Ok - show me some stats to prove that then.
No. I have more important things to do and if youre too blinkered to see us conceding possession and attempts on goal to our opposition for much of last season there's not much hope anyway. It's how we set up. Hard to break down etc.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:04 am

I really don't get this negativity towards Andre Gray.

Jayrod couldn't hit a barn door for ages, Danny Ings had a similar run of form.

I don't think you should overlook his pedigree to be an instant success in the PL ;) ! Gray as a 13 year old was released by Wolves. In 2009 he was at Telford, 2010-12 Hinckley, 2012-2014 Luton, 2014-15 Brentford, then 2015 we signed him, not of course forgetting that in 2011 he was stabbed in the face in a gang related incident in Wolverhampton.

I sigh when he is offside but I also sigh when Vokes misses a header, don't we all? What I am not going to lose sight of is that Andre Gray is a late developer against many of his colleagues and he will get better and was a great buy for our football club. UTC

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:18 am

The Daily Mail are trying to dredge up the Twitter story again, though it is the "entertainment" section!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:32 am

He's scored 5 goals in 14 appearances this season - 3 of which were as sub. So he's basically scored 5 goals in 11 games in which he's started.

That's quite impressive for someone who, according to some, can't trap a bag of cement!

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:49 am

According to the latest rumour, he could be off to West Ham for £10m so we'll be able to replace him with a proper goal scorer. Seriously, do some of these journalists make these stories up just to get noticed.

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 am

Spijed wrote:He's scored 5 goals in 14 appearances this season - 3 of which were as sub. So he's basically scored 5 goals in 11 games in which he's started.

That's quite impressive for someone who, according to some, can't trap a bag of cement!

Precisely! It makes the negativity towards him all the more difficult to understand. I'm sure there will be plenty more goals to come yet.

Those that don't like him, need to recognise that we have a fast, powerful striker who knows how to finish - a real asset to the team.

He missed a half chance on Monday having just won us the previous two games with his goals and still got flack from some, embarrassing really.
This user liked this post: vinrogue

ShabbaRanks
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by ShabbaRanks » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:52 pm

what_no_pies wrote:No. I have more important things to do and if youre too blinkered to see us conceding possession and attempts on goal to our opposition for much of last season there's not much hope anyway. It's how we set up. Hard to break down etc.
i imagine we only managed to cobble together the odd chance or two when we were leathering the likes of MK and Bristol 4 or 5 nil so you could well be right.

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:54 pm

Can't imagine anyone would bid for Gray, first touch is awful, won't score more than 5-6 goals this season, lost his pace, lost his interest and is homophobic.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:12 pm

claretdom wrote:Can't imagine anyone would bid for Gray, first touch is awful, won't score more than 5-6 goals this season, lost his pace, lost his interest and is homophobic.
Is that a wind-up?

For a start he already has 5 goals! :lol:

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:34 pm

gray is an excellent striker, he plays for us though, a team that clearly struggle to provide much in the way of service to him.
We have players who struggle to pass accurately, and find overhitting crosses a simple task.
If he was upfront at spurs or arsenal, it would be a different story.
Heaton makes the most saves in the league, an unenviable stat based on opponents finding it easy to make their way towards our goal.
Gray has very little to feed off. Our midfield is less effective than others, and we don't really have wingers. I am not saying he's in Aguero's class, but he is better than some of you are saying.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:26 pm

ShabbaRanks wrote:i imagine we only managed to cobble together the odd chance or two when we were leathering the likes of MK and Bristol 4 or 5 nil so you could well be right.
Of course we won a few games convincingly but i lost count of the number of times I came off matches wondering how we won it or commenting that we found a way to win despite being second best or playing on the back foot. Certainly won ugly more often than we 'leathered' teams as you put it.

bumba
Been Liked: 687 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:45 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:gray is an excellent striker, he plays for us though, a team that clearly struggle to provide much in the way of service to him.
We have players who struggle to pass accurately, and find overhitting crosses a simple task.
If he was upfront at spurs or arsenal, it would be a different story.
Heaton makes the most saves in the league, an unenviable stat based on opponents finding it easy to make their way towards our goal.
Gray has very little to feed off. Our midfield is less effective than others, and we don't really have wingers. I am not saying he's in Aguero's class, but he is better than some of you are saying.
Course it'd be a different story if he played for spurs or arsenal because it'd mean he'd improved massively but he's never had an never will have those clubs interested in him because he isn't good enough technically

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:13 pm

That's 7 for the season in only 19 games, not too bad for someone who has a poor first touch and isn't that quick!

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 pm

3putt wrote:Precisely! It makes the negativity towards him all the more difficult to understand. I'm sure there will be plenty more goals to come yet.

Those that don't like him, need to recognise that we have a fast, powerful striker who knows how to finish - a real asset to the team.

He missed a half chance on Monday having just won us the previous two games with his goals and still got flack from some, embarrassing really.
It's because he isn't Ings, the fans favourite on here for many.

Will be interesting to see if he scores more than Ings this season.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Sidney1st wrote:It's because he isn't Ings, the fans favourite on here for many.

Will be interesting to see if he scores more than Ings this season.
Well he's got 16 games to get 6. Should be able to do it.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Wooooah - who bumped this thread ?

You do realise Mohammed is back from his ban ?

He's already had a pop at him on another thread