Burnley worth buying

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gavster
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Burnley worth buying

Post by gavster » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Article in the online Express which caught my eye. From a so called super agent....

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... Jon-Smith
However, Smith believes there is a gap opening between the very top clubs in England and those battling to get into the Premier League.

And that, he says, is a hindrance to smaller teams wanting to progress.

"It becomes a problem for a lovely club like Brighton if they come up," he said.

"I'd love to see Brighton come up but they're going to need someone who can point them around Europe or the rest of the world and say 'that's where you should be shopping now'.

"Because otherwise they're going to go into the market place and pay a premium for a top player.

"Burnley are interesting because chairman Mike Garlick's view is 'this is the budget, that's what we're spending, Sean (Dyche) knows how to make this work for us and if we go down then we go down'.

"Financially they've got no debt. They've come up, gone down and come up again. They're in great shape which is why they're potentially an attractive buying option now."

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Re: Burnley worth buying

Post by SammyBoy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:07 pm

He's probably right, I don't see why a potential investor wouldn't consider a club like us. The problem for the fans and current board is sorting out the Abramovich type buyer from the Venky type.
Last edited by SammyBoy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:10 pm

What's wrong with the Venkys? I think they're bloody fantastic.
These 13 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Dazzler randomclaret2 Zom Zom Guller Bull BFCmaj Juan Tanamera keith1879 Paranoid Jel St Austell Claret Mansfield-Claret MT03ALG

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:13 pm

It's the ungrateful Rovers fans giving Venkys a bad name.......

I think they're fab. :lol:
These 3 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Zom Zom MT03ALG

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Would be a disastrous buy. We're probably about as high and over valued as we're gonna get and for an investor you'd have to gamble/risk a lot of money just to potentially tread water plus a few bad investments in terms of players and managers we would be another Blackburn waiting to happen

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:21 pm

We're as good an investment as most other clubs given we stay up and remain debt free.
Whether we could attract the right buyer and/or whether we would likely sell is another matter.

There's issues in respect to oversea buyers and we can see from what's happened at other clubs
that it could turn out to be a potential disaster.

Having said that then If we do stay up I wouldn't be surprised if we'd attract some interest
from someone some where.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 881 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:24 pm

May 1987 was probably the best time for a major investor.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:24 pm

It's not the amount of money that's important, it's the amount of interference from non football experienced investors.

Getting a super rich investor to join and allow the current board to manage the club would be the ideal but I can't ever see that happening.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:28 pm

When did Brighton become a lovely club?

Was it when they confessed to owing Bloom £150 million on top of renting their stadium and training ground?
These 2 users liked this post: Dazzler MT03ALG

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:37 pm

I think we'd be good investment. If we receive a 100 million a year you could spend 60-70 million keeping us up and pocket the other 30-40 million. It's easy 'til you pick a wrong manager and it all goes tits up like it has done down the road.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:51 pm

The problem is that managers won't be given more than half a season at most.

For example, both Swansea and Hull will sack their managers if they get relegated.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Given that it would cost £100m or so to buy Hull then we'd probably be a good buy, if the directors were willing to sell.

We're fairly well placed in terms of a yo-yo club, the Premier League/parachute money is coming in, we've got a reasonable chance of staying up/going back up, debt-free, reasonable pool of young players with resale value, etc

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2334 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:22 pm

aggi wrote:Given that it would cost £100m or so to buy Hull then we'd probably be a good buy, if the directors were willing to sell.

We're fairly well placed in terms of a yo-yo club, the Premier League/parachute money is coming in, we've got a reasonable chance of staying up/going back up, debt-free, reasonable pool of young players with resale value, etc

And we have history. Maybe an investor could be excited by a potential rags to riches story and be impressed by our standing within the game for a small club (in today's market)

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:30 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... n-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This has been posted before but as Red Bull are, reportedly, looking to get into the EPL and as RB Leipzig are challenging Bayern Munich atop the Bundesliga I thought it might be time for fresh opinions.
Red Bull don't do failure but could you live with Racing Burnley, if it saw us in Europe regularly?

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:31 pm

I do not think Burnley are worth an investors time or money.

We are surrounded by other football clubs, including some of the worlds biggest clubs,not an affluent area with poor road and rail connections.

South coast clubs or the like with larger more prosperous populations 200 miles from Manchester would seem a better fit.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:37 pm

We have a large catchment area and are currently the highest place club between Manchester and Glasgow.
These 3 users liked this post: minnieclaret MT03ALG mybloodisclaret

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2339 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:43 pm

I for one, would be very suspicious of the motives of any potential Foreign investor/Buyer in a club of our size. In the normal scheme of things, investors put in money to get a return on their investment...even the Glaziers borrowed the bulk of the money to buy United and have since repaid that money by heaping the debt on to the Football Club..

I don't want a Lithuanian business-man buying 20% of our Club, I don't want an unknown Brazilian buying our Club & then forgetting where his cheque-book is, I don't want people trying to change our Club's name, or our Club colours. I don't want our Chairman being banged up abroad for money-laundering, I don't want to be at the whim of an Eastern European oligarch, but above all, in the name of all that is good and holy, I do not want Burnley F.C. to be the vehicle for some Chicken farmers to increase their " Global brand f*%$ing awareness " !!!

I like the fact we have Directors called Mike, John, Barry, and Brendon who are supporters and have a shared history and experience with the fans. I like the fact one of them arranges to buy travelling supporters a beer, when we're playing in London. I like the fact they don't take a salary or dividends, and I like the fact we still accept pitchside advertising from local bakeries,solicitors and scaffolding companies who supported the Club when the Club needed it, and havn't been forgotten now we're having a taste of the big-time....

Rant over...UTC
These 32 users liked this post: Steddyman Chester Perry keith1879 Burnley Ace Jel Tribesmen dsr k90bfc lovebeingaclaret Buxtonclaret Anonymous No Ney Never secessionman RalphCoatesComb Dazzler MT03ALG hampsteadclaret paulus the woodgnome Juan Tanamera sox8595 Burnley_Mark Frenchclaret mybloodisclaret CJW jlup1980 Paul Waine DocFoster Falcon bfcjg ontario claret HunterST_BFC BertiesBeehole

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2334 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:46 pm

9thMay1987 wrote:I do not think Burnley are worth an investors time or money.

We are surrounded by other football clubs, including some of the worlds biggest clubs,not an affluent area with poor road and rail connections.

South coast clubs or the like with larger more prosperous populations 200 miles from Manchester would seem a better fit.

If you go towards tod way there isn't another decent sized club until Bradford or leeds, both of which are below us

Dejavu
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by Dejavu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:51 pm

Since Barry Kilby, Burnley Football Club has been a model on how to run a football club in every conceivable way. Investors could well be interested but they aren't gonna do a better job than what we have currently and would likely get their fingers burnt.
These 2 users liked this post: Dazzler MT03ALG

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:52 pm

I like the fact we have Directors called Mike, John, Barry, and Brendon who are supporters and have a shared history and experience with the fans. I like the fact one of them arranges to buy travelling supporters a beer, when we're playing in London. I like the fact they don't take a salary or dividends, and I like the fact we still accept pitchside advertising from local bakeries,solicitors and scaffolding companies who supported the Club when the Club needed it, and havn't been forgotten now we're having a taste of the big-time....

Rant over...UTC[/quote]

This (not bothered about being bought a pint from time to time)
These 3 users liked this post: LS7 conyoviejo Dazzler

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:58 pm

It's not about rail connections, or any other physical plant. It's all about how much exposure you get on international TV.

ceborame
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by ceborame » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Clarets4me wrote:I for one, would be very suspicious of the motives of any potential Foreign investor/Buyer in a club of our size. In the normal scheme of things, investors put in money to get a return on their investment...even the Glaziers borrowed the bulk of the money to buy United and have since repaid that money by heaping the debt on to the Football Club..

I don't want a Lithuanian business-man buying 20% of our Club, I don't want an unknown Brazilian buying our Club & then forgetting where his cheque-book is, I don't want people trying to change our Club's name, or our Club colours. I don't want our Chairman being banged up abroad for money-laundering, I don't want to be at the whim of an Eastern European oligarch, but above all, in the name of all that is good and holy, I do not want Burnley F.C. to be the vehicle for some Chicken farmers to increase their " Global brand f*%$ing awareness " !!!

Rant over...UTC
Best comment I've ever read on here, well done
These 4 users liked this post: bfcjg ontario claret HunterST_BFC BertiesBeehole

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:44 pm

I think a major investment would only suit us of we were making a bid to break the top ten or higher in the prem and were a long way from that yet. I think we can compete in the midtable of the prem for the next few years with the way our club is currently running/progressing and only after we have become a comfortable mid table prem side would I consider the investment to push on. The thing that separates the mid table to lower half, is a good manager and a good system, we have both. That is more important than outside investment for now. Long may it continue. UTC.

Deardeary
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Deardeary » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:07 pm

"Poor road and rail links" read some Ill informed stuff on here and that's right up there with it. Like it or not, our brilliant road and rail links make us a northerly Manc suburb, same goes for Rossy and Accy. Don't know were you live pal but I can be at the seaside, Manchester Airport or The Yorkshire Dales within 40 mins, not sure anywhere else can provide those sort of links TBH?
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:10 pm

Great post, Clarets4me. (17). 8-)

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:37 pm

Burnley worth buying?

I hope not, and certainly not by some Chicken farmers from Pune !

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:13 am

15...poor road links..? What ?

We have a motorway coming right into town from the West.

We have a busy motorway coming into town from the South [and the Manchester area]

If I wanna go East [all the way East] I jump on the M62 [25 minutes away]

The M6 [for going North] and three airports are nearby..

Some real tripe gets posted on this forum, make no mistake.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:55 am

It is a shame they won't take the M65 over to Yorkshur.
We could really pack em in then.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5648 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 am

Clarets4me wrote:I for one, would be very suspicious of the motives of any potential Foreign investor/Buyer in a club of our size. In the normal scheme of things, investors put in money to get a return on their investment...even the Glaziers borrowed the bulk of the money to buy United and have since repaid that money by heaping the debt on to the Football Club..

Rant over...UTC
This user liked this post: bfcjg

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:20 am

Sorry to appear pedantic Mr. Hampsteadclaret but driving 25 minutes west to go east on the M62 doesn't at first glance to be that logical.

Improved road connections to me would be M65 eastbound with connections to the M62 opening up the whole region not just the football club to potential investment.

For rail apart from Manchester Road station, which is a big improvement, but not easy to access for everyone, the Colne-Preston alternate route is I believe slower now than when first introduced. Alas we have no connections east of Colne.

For Mr. Deardeary I live in Colne but would love to live where you do with such wonderful access within 40 mins.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:47 am

"I don't want a Lithuanian business-man buying 20% of our Club, I don't want an unknown Brazilian buying our Club & then forgetting where his cheque-book is, I don't want people trying to change our Club's name, or our Club colours. I don't want our Chairman being banged up abroad for money-laundering, I don't want to be at the whim of an Eastern European oligarch, but above all, in the name of all that is good and holy, I do not want Burnley F.C. to be the vehicle for some Chicken farmers to increase their " Global brand f*%$ing awareness " !!!"

Best rant of the day by a country mile.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:51 am

I always forget that people on here either have one extreme view or another. There's never a middle ground, is there? The middle ground that says maybe some foreign investment would be absolutely fine without tarnishing the history, brand or name of our club.
These 2 users liked this post: Royboyclaret FactualFrank

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 am

Bang on the money C&J.

This is where due diligence by our Board would be crucially important.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Nobody puts their money in a business without having to want some say in how it is spent.

The simple solution, for all clubs, is that owners should be allowed to pump in as much money as they like, but only if it is a gift, NOT as a loan. Outside that all clubs should be made to operate within their means.
This user liked this post: HunterST_BFC

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:09 pm

We're obviously never going to become a Cardiff, Blackburn, Leeds or Hull (examples of strange ownership) but why wouldn't someone with a bit of cash think "Oh, look, a stable top tier club who I could possibly make money on if I invest".

Our owners aren't going to just let any Yuri buy our club, but it makes sense to look somewhere for some sort of investment, even if it's just to open the doors to a different market, player wise. The Premier League is what it is, for all it's failures, it's a business, to be successful you need to change with the times or you lag behind.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:13 pm

"The simple solution, for all clubs, is that owners should be allowed to pump in as much money as they like, but only if it is a gift, NOT as a loan."

That's exactly how Manchester City are operating right now, as a result of the amended UEFA rules.

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Rant over...UTC
You don`t f**g want much do you? :lol:

I agree 100% with those comments.......we do not and never will need an OWNER!!
Let`s leave that to the "Big" clubs and the clubs who THINK they`re big but really aren`t, we all know who these are and we all know the end result is more than likely a Portsmouth.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:14 pm

I think that the average supporter should be allowed to buy shares in the club, as long as it doesn't surpass a certain percentage. Put it in a Supporters Trust, and don't let the total exceed 30% of gross investment. I don't want KRBFC running the club.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:19 pm

ontario claret wrote:I think that the average supporter should be allowed to buy shares in the club, as long as it doesn't surpass a certain percentage. Put it in a Supporters Trust, and don't let the total exceed 30% of gross investment. I don't want KRBFC running the club.
At least I'm locally born and have lived in Burnley for my entire existence. I wouldn't want a glory seeking Yanky Canadian glory seeker like yourself running the club either. You have proved to us all you pick a random sport like Hockey and claim to ''support'' the best team.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Yes, you are right. I've supported Burnley for over 40 years because I wanted to support the best team.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:24 pm

ontario claret wrote:Yes, you are right. I've supported Burnley for over 40 years because I wanted to support the best team.
Foreign fans don't count, like the Man Utd fans in Botswana

ralph
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by ralph » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:34 pm

9thMay1987 wrote:Sorry to appear pedantic Mr. Hampsteadclaret but driving 25 minutes west to go east on the M62 doesn't at first glance to be that logical.

Improved road connections to me would be M65 eastbound with connections to the M62 opening up the whole region not just the football club to potential investment.

For rail apart from Manchester Road station, which is a big improvement, but not easy to access for everyone, the Colne-Preston alternate route is I believe slower now than when first introduced. Alas we have no connections east of Colne.

For Mr. Deardeary I live in Colne but would love to live where you do with such wonderful access within 40 mins.
Takes me 35/40 minutes to the M62 at Ainley Top from Pike Hill ... How much quicker do you need to get on the 62 eastbound to justify spending millions of pounds ?
Last edited by ralph on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:I always forget that people on here either have one extreme view or another. There's never a middle ground, is there? The middle ground that says maybe some foreign investment would be absolutely fine without tarnishing the history, brand or name of our club.
Sounds fine in theory, but very few of the boards who have sold to foreign investors have done so knowing full well they're actually selling to people who are just useless and will run the club into the ground. They HAVE shown due diligence, but nobody can ever be certain that the person(s) making the promises can actually deliver. It's a massive gamble which more often than not seems to go wrong. So many investors have made promises which proved to be hollow and false, from Chicken farmers to oriental businessmen who think bluebirds are actually red! Steer clear! We don't need them. (And where were they when we actually did?)

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Just wondering, KRBFC, what would you make the qualifying bar for people supporting BFC? Minimum 20 years residency in the UK?

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:57 pm

And what exactly is a Yanky Canadian? My great-great-grandmother Vipond was born in Vermont. But my mother was born in Denmark. Which overrides which?

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 pm

"I think that the average supporter should be allowed to buy shares in the club, as long as it doesn't surpass a certain percentage. Put it in a Supporters Trust, and don't let the total exceed 30% of gross investment."

Why would you think that's not possible?.........Just wander into the Bob Lord entrance with your £2,000 for a minimum 10 shares purchase and they'll gladly take your money. Be aware though that your investment would be seriously high to even reach 3% nevermind 30%.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:03 pm

ontario claret wrote:And what exactly is a Yanky Canadian? My great-great-grandmother Vipond was born in Vermont. But my mother was born in Denmark. Which overrides which?
So basically you have lived everywhere apart from Burnley, go follow Copenhagen then and stop boring us all on here with your baseball drivel where you always seem to follow the side who won the Championship.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 pm

I'm talking about a total supporter investment of 30%. It's a kind of a blind trust. You put your money where your mouth is. And then you sit back and hope for the best.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:22 pm

And, KRBFC, for your information, I've lived in only one place for my whole life. Good old Brooklin, Ontario, Canada.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:33 pm

"I'm talking about a total supporter investment of 30%. It's a kind of a blind trust. You put your money where your mouth is. And then you sit back and hope for the best."

I know exactly what you're talking about. Let me clarify, the seven Board members own between them slightly over 94% shareholding and some 1,800 others of us (supporters that is) own the remainder.