West Ham Video

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

West Ham Video

Post by ebby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Not sure if this video on facebook has been posted before - apologies if it has but to me it epitomises how football has changed and if we don't get our act together and stop this happening we could well lose what we value most about it.

https://www.facebook.com/awaydaybible/v ... 9810110028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 356 times

Re: West Ham Video

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Stupid video. As a football fan, if you don't like the money-side that goes on around your club, you can go about it two ways
  • Carry on being loyal, but ignore the money making **** that goes with it

Support a non-league club where you'll feel your support is even more valued

Putneyclaret
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by Putneyclaret » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:49 pm

I agree with the OP. The whole ethos of the new stadium is to make money out of the loyal supporters (and to fleece the away fans). I live in a relatively expensive part of London, but I was astonished by the rip-off prices at the WHU stadium. As for the traditional "East End" welcome; forget it, and go to Brentford, Fulham or AFC Wimbledon for good examples of clubs with links to their community.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:01 pm

They should embrace traditional East End things like pie & mash, jellied eels and statues of Michael Jackson.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:07 pm

After visiting their new ground in December i couldn't help but feel sorry for West Ham fans. The owners got a great deal for the stadium which ripped off the taxpayers but for the fans it must be awful having to have that soulless stadium as your home

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Rowls wrote:They should embrace traditional East End things like pie & mash, jellied eels and statues of Michael Jackson.
Exactly...............seeing as he was Forever Blowing Bubbles!

bob-the-scutter

Post by bob-the-scutter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:10 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:Stupid video. As a football fan, if you don't like the money-side that goes on around your club, you can go about it two ways
  • Carry on being loyal, but ignore the money making **** that goes with it

Support a non-league club where you'll feel your support is even more valued
And an even stupider post!

Enola Gay
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Enola Gay » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:22 pm

bob-the-scutter wrote:And an even stupider post!
Not really.

You engage with it all as far as you want to. It's perfectly possible to just get a season ticket every season and that be pretty much it.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Rowls wrote:They should embrace traditional East End things like pie & mash, jellied eels and statues of Michael Jackson.
Not been lately then Rowls? ;) :roll:

bob-the-scutter

Post by bob-the-scutter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Enola Gay wrote:Not really.

You engage with it all as far as you want to. It's perfectly possible to just get a season ticket every season and that be pretty much it.
Well.......no it isn`t, just go to the game with your fingers in your ears singing lalalalalalala and not be part of anything else?
Of course, not!
What about the "If you don`t like it support a non-league team" True supporting is a way of life, we don`t have an alternative!

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:38 pm

CumbrianClaret would have loved this thread.

I don't think it's simply a case of being loyal and ignoring the money or supporting a non-league club.

The money and all the nonsense is pretty impossible to ignore. Everyone knows where the train is heading, no one seems to want to go there, but most people aren't getting off because they love the game and their club.

Money, money, money.... pretty much what everything boils down to and not just with football.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 356 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:35 pm

I think some people are missing my point. The guy in the video says 'football first', and I agree, but if you want to see your club at the highest possible level, you have to put up with the corporate b*****ks that comes with it, its a vicious circle. A football club is a business - fans are customers and it's as simple as that.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1816 times
Has Liked: 1796 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:14 pm

I doubt that anyone who went down to West Ham's Stadium would see it as being that straightforward, claptrappers.

It certainly made me think.

Man of Kent
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Man of Kent » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Putneyclaret wrote:I agree with the OP. The whole ethos of the new stadium is to make money out of the loyal supporters (and to fleece the away fans). I live in a relatively expensive part of London, but I was astonished by the rip-off prices at the WHU stadium. As for the traditional "East End" welcome; forget it, and go to Brentford, Fulham or AFC Wimbledon for good examples of clubs with links to their community.
It's a joy to go to Fulham. I try to get to Craven Cottage whenever I can't make it to Lancashire to see The Clarets. It's a fine, friendly and community-spirited club. It's a nice place to be around. As for West Ham, Upton Park was an ugly, unfriendly, odious place and all of that has now been exported to The London Stadium but it's now presented in a modern wrapper with a sprinkling of bungling incompetence.
This user liked this post: Putneyclaret

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 pm

I tried watching whole of the video but the accent makes me want to vomit blood.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if that club went to the wall.