Safeguarding form?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Safeguarding form?

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:13 am

I went to the ticket office in town to get a ticket for my 10 year old and was told I had to go to the main office to sign a safeguarding form, what is the purpose of that?

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Re: Safeguarding form?

Post by tybfc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:18 am

Did you not ask them?

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:19 am

I think it's important this season to safeguard our Home Form.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:20 am

Not heard of it. Which stand is it in? I often see the stewards panicking when children go down to use the toilet in the cricketfield. It may be reminding adults to look after their children?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32538 times
Has Liked: 5278 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:24 am

Loyalclaret wrote:Not heard of it. Which stand is it in? I often see the stewards panicking when children go down to use the toilet in the cricketfield. It may be reminding adults to look after their children?
Don't know what our rules are regarding children at the Turf, but I did see that Manchester City do not permit anyone child under the age of 14 in the Etihad unless he/she is accompanied.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:29 am

The purpose of safeguarding forms generally is for people to cover their backs for insurance purposes. Any practical benefit to this one, at least, is hard to imagine.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:36 am

tybfc wrote:Did you not ask them?
He was a bit unsure and said I neede to go to the main office. From the conversation I suspect the issue is with unaccompanied teenagers in the JHL but that would be a ground safety not safeguarding issue.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:38 am

Having some limited knowledge of how the country now deals with children being left on their own the Club will be expected to have a duty of care for kids under a certain age. As Tony says City state that anybody under the age of 14 must be accompanied is correct and whilst I don't think it is the law it pretty much covers the club if anything were to 'happen' to a child if they were on their own.

I would imagine that it is down to the discretion of each club to rule on an age limit and how they enforce it but I think that in your instance Burnley have done completely the right thing.

We have come a long way in the right direction in the past few years doing this type of thing since certain personnel have left the club.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:48 am

Burnley Ace wrote:He was a bit unsure and said I neede to go to the main office. From the conversation I suspect the issue is with unaccompanied teenagers in the JHL but that would be a ground safety not safeguarding issue.
It's very much a safeguarding issue.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:56 am

ClaretTony wrote:It's very much a safeguarding issue.
Without knowing the details (which is why I asked the question) it's not so clear cut. Safeguarding is the action that is taken to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:29 am

Burnley Ace wrote: Safeguarding is the action that is taken to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm.
So signing a form to say that you would not allow your under 10 years old child to wander round the concourse unaccompanied would be for their welfare and protect them fro harm. Wouldn't it?
Very much safeguarding I would have thought.
(Mind you I don't know what exactly what the club are asking you to sign for in this case - but presumably something like that in order to cover themselves))

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:39 am

I've contacted the safeguarding officer to see if I can get any information and guidelines re: our policy.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:16 pm

I have spoken with Mr Edens and as I suspected it's a case off cross wires. As with other clubs children under 14 need to be accompanied at all times by an adult and it is as simple as that.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Cliff Edens is the safety officer, I don't think the safeguarding officer is around today.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 pm

We have a few young ens near us - and had stewards come up and tell us they could not go to the toilets unaccompanied a few weeks ago suddenly.

I think the club are working towards keeping kids with their parents/guardians for the duration of the match and not letting them stay on the concourse alone at any time.

We got given little slips pf paper with a note saying to make sure we dont let kids out of our sight whilst on the ground a few games ago too.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:27 pm

dsr wrote:The purpose of safeguarding forms generally is for people to cover their backs for insurance purposes. Any practical benefit to this one, at least, is hard to imagine.
You really can't imagine any of the various ways in which a small unaccompanied child could have an incident in a large crowd?

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:31 pm

I can imagine lots of ways in which a small unaccompanied child could have an incident. What I can't imagine is how a piece of paper signed by an adult a few weeks earlier is going to help.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:36 pm

dsr wrote:I can imagine lots of ways in which a small unaccompanied child could have an incident. What I can't imagine is how a piece of paper signed by an adult a few weeks earlier is going to help.
Without seeing said paper I'm assuming that it will say that the child will be under your supervision at all times and that is what you are signing in agreement

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:41 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:Without seeing said paper I'm assuming that it will say that the child will be under your supervision at all times and that is what you are signing in agreement
Which is what anyone who takes a child to a football match would be doing anyway. Like I said, it's to cover the club's back. It won't change any parent's behaviour. (I would hope.)

Morgan
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Morgan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Just one more example that the modern world is totally bonkers.
This user liked this post: ten bellies

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:48 pm

dsr wrote:Which is what anyone who takes a child to a football match would be doing anyway.
Not only is this not true but it won't take you very long (if you are attending the match) tomorrow to see groups of unaccompanied young youths milling about in the concourses, going for a pie, going to the toilet etc. etc.
How a parent should behave, and how they actually behave is a totally different thing, and don't forget we're not just talking about under 10s here. It covers teenage years as well.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:51 pm

The way it was initially explained time was that junior tickets could only be purchased in person at the main ticket office and on each occasion a safeguarding form had to be signed. That was all I was told which begged the question what if you are 17 or if you cannot get to the main ticket office.

Totally reasonable that children should be supervised, especially on the concourse when it's really busy but there would appear to be better ways to implement and record it

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Morgan wrote:Just one more example that the modern world is totally bonkers.
Why is it bonkers?
Just one v simple scenario: If a small unaccompanied child gets tripped over on the concourse, and you spill a cup of scolding hot bovril over them, (perhaps scarring them for life), who is to blame?
There are many other possibilities for which the club will want to reduce its potential liability.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:52 pm

dsr wrote:Which is what anyone who takes a child to a football match would be doing anyway. Like I said, it's to cover the club's back. It won't change any parent's behaviour. (I would hope.)
I can assure you that your assumptions are very, very wrong in believing that.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:11 pm

So will making parents sign this paper improve the behaviour of all or some of the children at the club?

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Sorry dsr but as others have already answered not everybody is of the same mindeset.
There have been times where I've seen unaccompanied children on the concourse before game & during half time.

Unfortunately gone are the days when my dad could leave me at the bottom of the Bee Hole whilst he stood at the top

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:23 pm

dsr wrote:So will making parents sign this paper improve the behaviour of all or some of the children at the club?
Do you know what's on the form?

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Not sure what context the club is using the term safeguarding but it seems there is a lack of understanding here of what safeguarding children in the true sense of the term means and confusion with health and safety legislation. It simple terms safeguarding children relates to protecting children from abuse, neglect or unsafe care and the requirement to have arrangements in place for alerts to be to and investigations made by the relevant authorities. Think of the tragedy of Baby P and the safeguarding and protection failures which contributed to his death. If the club's 'safeguarding form' is in this context then it certainly won't be about covering their back but actually about protecting children from potential harm.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:28 pm

dsr wrote:So will making parents sign this paper improve the behaviour of all or some of the children at the club?
I've no idea what's on the form, but apart from anything else, presumably - it will be far easier for the club to take action against parents / guardians because they have signed and agreed to the terms and conditions. They'll have no excuse to say "I wasn't aware" if they let their children wander off and behave anti-socially.
Alternatively, if a parent makes a complaint to the club about the behaviour / actions of another adult or child towards their unaccompanied child they will be able to remind them that they should not be unaccompanied.

Morgan
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Morgan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:38 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Why is it bonkers? ............
who is to blame?
There are many other possibilities for which the club will want to reduce its potential liability.

And there you have it. The modern world. Blame / claim / "reduce liability"

13 yr olds not allowed to go to a football match unaccompanied

I belong to a different era. I went on the Turf aged 10 unaccompanied, travelling from Accy to Burnley on my own and back on the bus.

In the 50s, I went to infant (yes infant) school either on my own or with some pals. I came home likewise.

I also spent the school six week holidays from the age of 7 with no adults around from 8 00am to 5.30pm. We played football and cricket in the street, climbed trees (and fell out of them), rode bikes, dammed streams and a million and one other things that kids today are not allowed to enjoy. In short I/we had a childhood

When was the last time you saw an impromptu footy game on the street or waste ground where about 40 kids were kicking daylights out of each other, the game started after school and went on till dark and your Mum called you in, with fluctuating team mates because our teatimes were all different and the score was 47 -32.

Still, kids today have Playstations, smartphones and Twitter and Facebook

And obviously never any Bovril spilt over them.

Which is why I, and most other folk my age I talk to, think the modern world is bonkers.

titsoutforthelads
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by titsoutforthelads » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:27 pm

Agree with you Morgan,
How will a parent signing a form make it any safer for a child.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:05 pm

Possibly what is wrote on the paper may remind the gaurdian what their responsibility is as a guardian. Resulting in the child being safer.

There are plenty of un accompanied children walking around the stands. I was one when I was a youngster trying to find balls down the back of the Longside
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:42 pm

I've chased this one up and these are the Burnley FC rules:

• Anyone aged 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult (over 18), there are no safeguarding forms which require completion its more about on the day if children aged 12 and under are found to be unaccompanied they will not be admitted to the ground.

• It is maybe also worth noting that 12’s and under must be fully supervised at all times, so if they need a drink or toilet breaks, an adult should be going with them.

• We are introducing some training to our stewards around challenging parents/carers of children found ‘wandering’ during the game around risk should there be an emergency evacuation etc.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:46 pm

So if a man's 11 year old daughter wants to go to the toilet ... :o That might put her off football.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Morgan wrote:And there you have it. The modern world. Blame / claim / "reduce liability"

13 yr olds not allowed to go to a football match unaccompanied

I belong to a different era. I went on the Turf aged 10 unaccompanied, travelling from Accy to Burnley on my own and back on the bus.

In the 50s, I went to infant (yes infant) school either on my own or with some pals. I came home likewise.

I also spent the school six week holidays from the age of 7 with no adults around from 8 00am to 5.30pm. We played football and cricket in the street, climbed trees (and fell out of them), rode bikes, dammed streams and a million and one other things that kids today are not allowed to enjoy. In short I/we had a childhood

When was the last time you saw an impromptu footy game on the street or waste ground where about 40 kids were kicking daylights out of each other, the game started after school and went on till dark and your Mum called you in, with fluctuating team mates because our teatimes were all different and the score was 47 -32.

Still, kids today have Playstations, smartphones and Twitter and Facebook

And obviously never any Bovril spilt over them.

Which is why I, and most other folk my age I talk to, think the modern world is bonkers.
Luxury!

https://youtu.be/Xe1a1wHxTyo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 511 times
Has Liked: 1062 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:59 pm

I also had a childhood exactly as Morgan describes it. I also had a sexual abusive incident to cope with as sexual offenders always have and always will target unsupervised children. Both my parents worked full-time in the cotton industry and obviously hoped that I would be able to stay safe during the hours when they were working. They were loving and caring parents who were as protective as they could be. Although it was the age of Brady and Hindley as a young child I wasn't as aware of danger as I am now. There are many parents who would appreciate reminders that dangers exist in all or any circumstances and should not trust to luck in an environment that you would usually expect to be 'safe'. Don't we remember the sexual assaults that have happened in recent times in toilets at McDonalds and some supermarkets when children have left their parents to go to the toilets?? It is in 'safe' environments where the parents drop their guard and wrongly suspect that danger is non-existent.