The lure of Turf Moor.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

The lure of Turf Moor.

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:20 pm

I realise many clarets live far, far away, but would any of you that live relatively locally be reluctant to move away from the area based purely on your love of the place ?

I am not planning such a move,but it has occured to me on the odd holiday that I would miss it a lot.
There must have been numerous occasions when many of you have had to consider this, perhaps for work or family reasons.
Has this dilemma been tricky? if so, how has it been resolved ?
When I came off the ground yesterday, it was cold and damp. Wandering back through the familiar back streets, it seemed such an iconic place .
I know there are ways of keeping tabs on the team at a distance , but nothing is quite like being there is it.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Re: The lure of Turf Moor.

Post by CnBtruntru » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Totally agree, I don't half miss it.

Man of Kent
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Man of Kent » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:55 pm

I certainly don't miss the weather but if I ever miss the old town, I can still be in Lancashire in a little over three hours from London by train. I do miss some aspects of life in the town but now prefer to admire the place from a distance.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11048 times
Has Liked: 5657 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:01 pm

I miss the Turf, the banter and away games, the rest you can keep -I prefer the sunshine :lol:

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:02 pm

were you once a regular Man of Kent ?

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:07 pm

I was in the army previously and in that time have lived in Surrey, Hampshire, North Yorkshire, Canada and Germany.

I now live back in Burnley and do you know what, it isn't half bad in comparison.

We have some beautiful countryside on our doorstep and of course the football club is the town's crowning jewel.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:11 pm

I lived in Penzance for a while(during Stan's 'throw one in' season). I had an ST and only missed a handful of matches. Thankfully, I was spending an afternoon at Kynance Covevthebday we played Watford at the Turf!
I even, on the spur of the moment, made it back to the Turf for the FA Cup replay against Fulham, after seeing the first game at Loftus Rd and making it all the way back to Cornwall. I'd popped into all the pubs with Sky in Penzance and asked if they were going to show the replay on telly; none of them were, as Man Utd were on, playing in the Champions' League
So I set off at noon and made it in time for KO. We won three nil, and I stopped at a mate's house.
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure Grimsby Claret

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm

As a student I've lived in both Leicester and Manchester (spanning from Coyles first full season until towards the end of Howe's tenure), and since graduating I spent a bit of time living in Chester for work. I never really missed Burnley when I was a student even though I was absent for the whole of 08/09, probably because I was so busy getting drunk and generally having a good time. However, I found when I was living and working away from here as an adult I really missed it, mainly for practical reasons such as the cheap cost of living/housing but also because I found that leaving to work in a completely random place can be pretty lonely and I missed my mates and all the familiar places I like to visit when I'm here (namely the Turf and all the surrounding pubs).

Longsidebovril
Been Liked: 552 times
Has Liked: 258 times

Post by Longsidebovril » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Sometimes when I'm back, I'll make a detour just to drive past it. There's an aura that seems to surround the old place. Just being near makes me feel........ I dunno.... something.
These 3 users liked this post: Sidney1st Wile E Coyote bob-the-scutter

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:57 pm

I've only lived in Burnley for 7 yrs, but been a constant visitor my whole life due to family ties to the town.

I was making plans to move back a couple of years ago, but the birth of my daughter put a stop to that.
I generally feel more comfortable being in Burnley though and whilst it won't happen now if I could move back I would.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:44 pm

We lived in Nelson for a while and still have our house there.It was great getting home at 530pm .
However you go where the jobs are so we travel 250miles each way to watch our team.
A journey we have done for over 50yrs.
Yes a definate lure
These 3 users liked this post: boatshed bill The Enclosure RalphCoatesComb

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 pm

bloody hell Woodley,that's admirable loyalty !!

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:56 pm

I've been going on The Turf since the late 60,s .........as a child I used to walk to the ground and walk round it just dreaming of being a Steve Kindon, James, Hankin.........

I think the fact we haven't moved to some soulless bowl built in a field just off a motorway helps tho........long may we stay at The Turf.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3426 times

Post by turfytopper » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:04 pm

I love Sussex.... But it's 5 hours on the train.... Oh and the odd mini holiday such as right now as I'm staying up until Wednesday to be able to see the Sunderland game. Ironic that i can't get hold of 2 tickets for arsenal... Will visit the ticket office tomorrow......

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Never lived out of Lancashire, spent 3 years in Preston, but I love the town and everything about it.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I miss the Turf, the banter and away games, the rest you can keep -I prefer the sunshine :lol:
Personally, I would prefer to live in Burnley than Vegas and I used to dread being told to go there. It's like a high octane Blackpool on speed.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 802 times
Has Liked: 528 times

Post by Jamesy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:45 am

I am quite happy living two hours away by car and three hours away by public transport. I do enjoy a few pints and occasional stopover when in Burnley.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:02 am

Like Woodley I live miles away from Turf Moor but have 3 STs and make the journey to the Turf on a regular basis. I don't particularly like Burnley as a town but there is something special about Turf Moor and that little buzz that I get when I walk up those steps in JHU and look out onto the pitch.

ayrshireclaret83
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ayrshireclaret83 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:22 am

NEVER lived in Burnley lived in Rawtenstall for 3 years and Great Harwood for 2 years before moving back to Scotland and I can tell u now that I wish Turf Moor wasn't as far away as it is I wish I could afford to be at every single game. Many will say I can't possibly be but I am Burnley through and through. My first season was the waddle season which makes it remarkable lol

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:41 am

I've never lived in Burnley, closest I've got is Hoghton and that's closer to Preston! I spent most of my life in Leyland (been watching Burnley since 1983) but my dad's side of the family were brought up in Burnley/padiham. Lived away from Lancashire for 9 years now and I really miss the people and the beautiful places you can have access to. So when I come up to watch the match I make sure I spend a good few hours in Burnley. The moosus who's from Walsall loves going up there. Says the people are warm and loves the views you get (no I don't mean rocky :D ) when you are in the same place for such a long time you don't realise the things you have around you 'til it's gone! That's why change is good but also makes you appreciate certain things.

Turf moor is a home from home.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1131 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:56 am

After 40 years with a season ticket I up't sticks and moved to Australia. Miss the Turf every single matchday, and awaydays.
Then when the derby of 2014 at Deadwood came along, a post was put on CM. "did any Clarets in Melbourne want to meet up for the game?" Six of us turned up, 2 ex-pats, 2 Aussies and 2 sisters from Gt Harwood. Melbourne Clarets was born. There are about 40 Clarets in the area, we regularly meet for games. Saturday with a 2am kick off we had 21 in our pub. Over the last 2+ years it's been a great substitute. But we all agree, we'd've all preferred to have been there than here!! UTC.

Sausage
Been Liked: 639 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 am

I miss Turf Moor - and east Lancs in general - desperately. I'd be back in a heartbeat but for the fact that I now have family ties in the south east. Getting back for the odd game is brilliant but it doesn't half make me homesick afterwards.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2622 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:38 am

There is something about Burnley that keeps you coming back, it's only a 100 mile round trip for us so not too bad compared to some. Obviously the home of football is the main reason but the town itself is so different to its reputation. I grew up in Accy but feel no nostalgia for the place at all, can't remember the last time I actually went there.

Robbo1882
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Robbo1882 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 pm

In fact, this is something I am contemplating right now, I have had an offer with the same company I work with to work out of Melbourne, and if I go I won't half miss the Turf.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2631 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:26 pm

I come from Oswaldtwistle originally and first went to the Turf with my dad in 1952. My mother was a Rovers supporter and I also went to Ewood quite a lot with her, however, Burnley were always my favourite because it involved two bus rides to get there --don't ask!
I moved away in 1966 to join the RAF and since then I have spent 8 years in Germany and lived in Weston-super-Mare, Middleton St George, Uxbridge and Ashington and have travelled those various distances to the Turf for the last 50 years. During the 1970s, I used to travel up from Weston-super-Mare to Bomarsund to collect Billy Ingham's parents, take them to games, take them back home and then stay at my in-laws before returning to Somerset.
There is no place quite like the Turf for watching football, particularly under the lights on a midweek evening. Season ticket is being renewed next season for the umpteenth time -- I just have to make sure that I waken up every morning for a few more years.
Definitely -- the lure of Turf Moor.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 am

thanks, really enjoyed reading through those replies.

it is a very special place indeed, took it for granted when i was a kid, but i realise how much it means as i have got older.
it is a true reference point in our lives.