"Burnley Fans are Racist" - The New Statesman

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

"Burnley Fans are Racist" - The New Statesman

Post by Rowls » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 pm

It's happened again.

Metropolitan elite leftie journal the New Statesman is implying that Burnley fans are racist.

Our jeering of Raheem Sterling is used to justify this implication (not made explicitly). These are the same class of London-based Social Justice Warriors who wonder why the Labour Party is losing so much support in the north of England. Perhaps if we could have these kind of insults and accusations thrown at more often, we'd be more likely to agree with them?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sp ... ell-stands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper ontario claret

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Re: "Burnley Fans are Racist" - The New Statesman

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Can we sue them? Free Season Tickets for all if we win.

On reading I find no reference to Burnley fans being racist. We will have to pay for our tickets.
Last edited by Quickenthetempo on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: RalphCoatesComb Imploding Turtle Foshiznik

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:55 pm

"Ashley Cole is another who was hectored more or less everywhere he went, after forcing through a move from Arsenal to Chelsea. Unlike Sterling, he was already proven as an elite player, but his desire to control his labour – an aspect of blackness historically ill-received by white folk – was enough to override his on-pitch brilliance."

Or the fact that Cole said this -

"Cole was mocked as 'Cashley' Cole for running into Chelsea's arms at the offer of a bigger pay packet.
His attempt to explain the situation backfired when he recalled his response to Arsenal's £55,000-a-week offer in his autobiography.
Explaining what he said to his agent, Cole wrote: 'He [Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein] is taking the p***, Jonathan!'
'I was trembling with anger. I couldn't believe what I'd heard. I almost crashed my car.'
For the public at large such an attitude to such a massive wage offer stunk of footballers' arrogance."

Someone is trying to make this an issue at New states man, when it really isn't.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:55 pm

I also notice how they don't mention the aggro Rooney had after swearing at the camera in Africa.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Think he's calling all football fans who boo a black player racist.

Lazy journalism again.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:58 pm

It's true some Burnley fans are racist ..I've witnessed it first hand.. So has every other Burnley fan if the truth be known.. That is also true of every football club in the country.. Very poor journalism indeed..
This user liked this post: HatfieldClaret

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 pm

You've got to be particularly over-sensitive to see this piece as any sort of attack on Burnley fans.

I don't agree with a lot of what it says, I think it's all overpaid, under-performing footballers that get stick, not just the black ones (Wayne Rooney hardly cuts a popular figure with opposition fans). But mentioning a match at Burnley as an example of a (perceived) wider malaise just because it happens to be the most recent match the writer can cite isn't really singling us out.
These 3 users liked this post: Walton Leisure Greenmile

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Maybe head stewards who come up with gems like "I'm no good with foreign names" could be stuck into that article after reading my name conpletely wrong off my season ticket.

Or the fact my nephew genuinely asked "why are they moving us, is it because we're asian?" When moved seats on Saturday in the CFS when lots of others were left as they were.

Bit of a dampner from the feelings of a great win on Saturday.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Absolute cock knocker.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Rowls wrote:It's happened again.

Metropolitan elite leftie journal the New Statesman is implying that Burnley fans are racist.
Is the author implying that all Burnley fans are racist, or that some Burnley fans are racist?

There is a bit of a difference.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:04 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:Is he implying that all Burnley fans are racist, or that some Burnley fans are racist?

There is a bit of a difference.
He's not even implying that. He's implying some football fans are racist. It's hardly revelatory.

It's Rowl's tabloid headline-esque interpretation that's the problem.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMcGreal Greenmile

Dazzler
Been Liked: 881 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:04 pm

The fact that Sterling is the most overrated brainless footballer ever to wear an England shirt seems to have escaped the journo.
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum boiledclaret

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6462 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:05 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Maybe head stewards who come up with gems like "I'm no good with foreign names" could be stuck into that article after reading my name conpletely wrong off my season ticket.

Or the fact my nephew genuinely asked "why are they moving us, is it because we're asian?" When moved seats on Saturday in the CFS when lots of others were left as they were.

bfccrazy - did that actually happen and is that how you felt? I suppose that's the great leveller of a message board - I had no idea you have an Asian background, and nor do I care - to me you're claret and blue, the only colours that matter

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Dazzler wrote:The fact that Sterling is the most overrated brainless footballer ever to wear an England shirt seems to have escaped the journo.
Don't let the fact that we didnt sing anything racist to Sterling .... Unless he takes offense to being linked to the national team... get in the way of a non story.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:06 pm

martin_p wrote:He's not even implying that. He's implying some football fans are racist. It's hardly revelatory.

It's Rowl's tabloid headline-esque interpretation that's the problem.
Agreed. Rowls' sensationalist thread title is just that. There is nothing controversial about Burnley fans in that article.
This user liked this post: Leisure

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Sterling was booed. I thought it was because he kept falling over and feigning injury.

If anyone calls me a racist, they'd better be prepared for a Court case !

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Rowls absolutely sensationalising a nothing article. Shame.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Rowls whilst I respect your opinion, I do not agree with how you have spun the headline.

Not like you to turn something that isn't really there into an attack on Burnley F.C, are you feeling ok?

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:bfccrazy - did that actually happen and is that how you felt? I suppose that's the great leveller of a message board - I had no idea you have an Asian background, and nor do I care - to me you're claret and blue, the only colours that matter
Unfortunately it happened on Saturday, we usually sit a couple of rows behind where we're meant to which hasn't been a problem til Saturday when an over enthusiastic steward started askung for our tickets.

Out of a good number of people we got pulled to the side and moved to a random empty seat...... Away from the empty seat we usually sit in.....

Then I was being a bit of a pain being honest and asked the head steward to move us to our actual seat if we were to be moved.

Once there my nephew was told if he couldnt see then he can stand on the seat .... And the man behind us in our "new" seat can stand on the steps if he couldnt see.

Which was followed by the "why were only we moved?" question.

Bit of a dampner as he has gotten used tp being with the group we go on wit and I will be into the ticket office this week to change into the seat we usually sit in *every game since the CFS has opened* as opposed to where our season ticket says.

Downside is my nephew genuinely doesnt want a ticket for the Sunderland game tomorrow now and "just wants to chill" instead.

Great move a week before I was going to renew our season tickets.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:13 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Maybe head stewards who come up with gems like "I'm no good with foreign names" could be stuck into that article after reading my name conpletely wrong off my season ticket.

It's started getting on my nerves now in CFS I'm having to show my season ticket around half a dozen times a game. I'll end up losing it soon, Im sure it doesn't happen in other parts of the ground. It's like they are almost trying to cause aggro.

That women who swaggers up and down barking orders is actually causing more problems.
People were asking the stewards if it was ok to go the loo at one point.
They took it well mind.
This user liked this post: bfccrazy

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:14 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Sterling was booed. I thought it was because he kept falling over and feigning injury.

If anyone calls me a racist, they'd better be prepared for a Court case !
The irony of it all is - I was one of the people in the picture shouting at Sterling .... I'm of asian heritage and definitely not racist (I hate everybody equally) but got branded a racist and had my pic plastered all over the world.

A pic of me with my nephew on my shoulders at the end of the QPR game got used by ESPN for their story of our racist fans at Bradford (a game I didn't even attend).

Guess it's just coindence but it's annoying none the less.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:20 pm

All clubs have a small majority of racist fans, it's like some people don't live in the real world and are surprised when they see racist behaviour. There are fooked up people in the world and all sorts of crazy **** goes on, surely they have a better story to write.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Was there really enough from those two points to put a dampener on a great win? I have no idea of your surname or the difficulty in pronouncing it, or indeed whether it is a 'foreign sounding' name, but is what was said so bad? Would it have been OK to say Scottish sounding name if it began Mc?

Now if someone moved you because you are Asian, I would have issue with that but because your nephews perception was such is an entirely different thing. Why were you moved out of interest?

I expect my response may anger some of the outrage brigade but it's not intended to cause any offence.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:24 pm

KRBFC wrote:All clubs have a small majority of racist fans, it's like some people don't live in the real world and are surprised when they see racist behaviour. There are fooked up people in the world and all sorts of crazy **** goes on, surely they have a better story to write.
Hopefully more of a small minority at worst and not a small majority :)
This user liked this post: KRBFC

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:25 pm

DCWat wrote:Hopefully more of a small minority at worst and not a small majority :)
ooops :D
This user liked this post: DCWat

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:28 pm

DCWat wrote:Was there really enough from those two points to put a dampener on a great win? I have no idea of your surname or the difficulty in pronouncing it, or indeed whether it is a 'foreign sounding' name, but is what was said so bad? Would it have been OK to say Scottish sounding name if it began Mc?

Now if someone moved you because you are Asian, I would have issue with that but because your nephews perception was such is an entirely different thing. Why were you moved out of interest?

I expect my response may anger some of the outrage brigade but it's not intended to cause any offence.
No offence - My Surname is quite difficult to be honest so I can understand the confusion. Some people will struggle with "Ali" and how to pronounce it.

We were moved when going to our usual seat which is a couple of rows behind where we sit - when I know a lot of people there don't have season tickets there but have congregated there for games as we've created an area which has a good atmosphere there within the stand.

It is just how he felt but from the innocence of a kids way of thinking it's how he read the situation. He'll be back on the turf and I'm not making it a big hoo haa that he's a fan lost forever.... But thay was how he felt in the situation.
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat Foshiznik

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:32 pm

I think you're being soft and need to man up.
I'm absolutely useless when it comes to pronouncing foreign names, why is that a gem? does that make me racist?
I must be racist if I can't pronounce a polish name correctly but I can pronounce an English name perfectly fine.
Too many black/Asian people pull the race card quickly and it's honestly tiresome and boring. The problem is, the mindset of people to question ''is it because i'm asian/black'' like stop being so soft and defensive. I'm sure the steward made a genuine mistake when pronouncing your name and had a perfectly good reason to move you yet you string it along on here like he held you at gunpoint because ''you're asian'' to gain some sympathy.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:32 pm

The worst thing for me in all of that is that it was your nephew's first thought. Why that's the case I don't know (and I hope it's not because of past experiences) but it's a shame that even a youngster thinks this way - it shows that there is a lot to be done until such thoughts are a thing of the past.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:35 pm

KRBFC wrote:I think you're being soft and need to man up.
I'm absolutely useless when it comes to pronouncing foreign names, why is that a gem? does that make me racist?
I must be racist if I can't pronounce a polish name correctly but I can pronounce an English name perfectly fine.
Too many black/Asian people pull the race card quickly and it's honestly tiresome and boring. The problem is, the mindset of people to question ''is it because i'm asian/black'' like stop being so soft and defensive. I'm sure the steward made a genuine mistake when pronouncing your name and had a perfectly good reason to move you yet you string it along on here like he held you at gunpoint because ''you're asian'' to gain some sympathy.
Another person reading something that isn't there!

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:36 pm

KRBFC wrote:I think you're being soft and need to man up.
If you knew me IRL (which isn't our fault) then you'd know your perception of me is quite off the mark.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:39 pm

bfccrazy wrote:If you knew me IRL (which isn't our fault) then you'd know your perception of me is quite off the mark.
It just seems like you're pulling the race card quickly after the steward pronounced your name wrong. The mindset of ''is it because I'm asian'' is a big problem tbh.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:39 pm

DCWat wrote:The worst thing for me in all of that is that it was your nephew's first thought. Why that's the case I don't know (and I hope it's not because of past experiences) but it's a shame that even a youngster thinks this way - it shows that there is a lot to be done until such thoughts are a thing of the past.
I hoped those views would be and being honest I didn't know how to respond to the question at first.
This user liked this post: DCWat

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:40 pm

You've got to cut Rowls some slack here guys.

President Trump has just told the world the most important politician in Europe is Angela Merkel, so he's devastated.

#prayforrowls

Stproc
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Stproc » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:40 pm

An appallingly pompous load of tripe again

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:40 pm

KRBFC wrote:It just seems like you're pulling the race card quickly after the steward pronounced your name wrong. The mindset of ''is it because I'm asian'' is a big problem tbh.
Which is why I didnt say that I said that but an 11 year old kid said that. The joy of an open forum such as this place is that you can find out how others feel in a sutuation without having to get offended by it...... Try it sometime

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Looks like we should get more linguistic experts on to t'Turf as well as people from Asia.
This user liked this post: KRBFC

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Some people are really desperate to be the victim of those evil, hateful lefties.

At no point in that article does the quote in the title exist, and at no point are Burnley specifically mentioned as racist. The only mention we got is because at the time of writing the article we were Sterling's most recent opponents who jeered him for no discernable reason.

OP is once again making **** up. I'll forward this thread to the author of the article, see if they'd like to comment on this quote that Rowls is made up for them.
Last edited by Imploding Turtle on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:43 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Which is why I didnt say that I said that but an 11 year old kid said that. The joy of an open forum such as this place is that you can find out how others feel in a sutuation without having to get offended by it...... Try it sometime
Why would I be offended? I'm not the one moaning on a forum at a steward pronouncing your surname incorrectly.
Multiple people throughout my life have spelt my surname incorrectly, must be because I'm white and they must be racist.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:44 pm

KRBFC wrote:Why would I be offended? I'm not the one moaning on a forum at a steward pronouncing your surname incorrectly.
Multiple people throughout my life have spelt my surname incorrectly, must be because I'm white and they must be racist.
Must be.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Looks like we should get more linguistic experts on to t'Turf as well as people from Asia.
We need more Asian stewards to pronounce the Asian surnames.
There is more white stewards than Asian stewards, whoever hires the stewards, racist.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:47 pm

KRBFC wrote:Multiple people throughout my life have spelt my surname incorrectly, must be because I'm white and they must be racist.
Missed the silent 'k' off kn0b?
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Indecisive

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:48 pm

I get asian people pronouncing my surname incorrectly :lol:
These 3 users liked this post: bfccrazy morpheus2 Rick_Muller

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Sidney1st wrote:I get asian people pronouncing my surname incorrectly :lol:
they're racist

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:49 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Which is why I didnt say that I said that but an 11 year old kid said that. The joy of an open forum such as this place is that you can find out how others feel in a sutuation without having to get offended by it...... Try it sometime
You're on a loser here bfcccrazy. KRBFC is a poster who wants asians sent back, and I'm really not making that up (he posted it in a thread last year!)

I'd refrain from replying to him if I were you. :idea:
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:50 pm

martin_p wrote:Missed the silent 'k' off kn0b?
You're racist

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:50 pm

Sidney1st wrote:I get asian people pronouncing my surname incorrectly :lol:
Everyone (apart from the Scottish) must be racist then because no one ever pronounces my surname right. :lol:
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:54 pm

fidelcastro wrote:You're on a loser here bfcccrazy. KRBFC is a poster who wants asians sent back, and I'm really not making that up (he posted it in a thread last year!)

I'd refrain from replying to him if I were you. :idea:

That is exactly why he is commenting to bfc as he is on this thread.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:55 pm

They were great with my ex wifes maiden name, that made me laugh even more.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:58 pm

claretdom wrote:That is exactly why he is commenting to bfc as he is on this thread.
Can discuss it before/after any home game this year..... I always like a good laugh :lol:

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:07 pm

That story is a massive pile of bull excrement, and I'm probably what Rowls would term an elitist leftie i.e. anyone left of his own position.

However, it certainly doesn't say "Burnley fans are racist", so the OP is also a massive pile of bovine doo-doo.
This user liked this post: Greenmile