R.I.P. Gene Cernan

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CrispyClaret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 2 times

R.I.P. Gene Cernan

Post by CrispyClaret » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:26 am

The last astronaut to leave footprints on the moon has passed aged 82. Half of the moonwalkers have now left us. Somehow it doesn't seem right that mankind in space started in my lifetime and has dwindled down to a mere sideshow.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: R.I.P. Gene Cernan

Post by Sproggy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:42 am

His book is well worth a read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Man-Moon- ... ene+cernan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you ever find yourself in Houston, a tour of the Johnson Space Center is well worth the effort. It includes a full Saturn 5 laid out end to end. Cernan's voice is the one that introduces you to the tour when you get on the buggy.

CrispyClaret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by CrispyClaret » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:19 am

I have read his book and most of the other astronaut autobiographies/biographies, Carrying the Fire by Mike Collins is still the best one in my opinion. With no disrespect to Cernan, I confess his was low down on my list of favourites. For websites I recommend CollectSpace and the Apollo Lunar Surface Journals

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:18 am

Watched a Netflix documentary about cernan. Always been fascinated by space travel, and in particular the moon which is a stunning thing to look at.

Gene cernan came across as the true pioneer he was, yeah he was a flyer and an astronaut but he wasn't full of himself, and was adamant he shouldn't be the last man to walk on the moon.

RIP Gene