Krakow help

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Krakow help

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Going in just under 2 weeks.

Any hints, tips etc? Anywhere to avoid? Anywhere to go?

I'm looking at Auschwitz but from what I can find online all the guided tours are in Polish. Can you just look around on your own?

Thank you!

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Re: Krakow help

Post by Selby Claret » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Went last year mate - awesome place

Plenty of guided tours - in English - they will pick you up from your hotel in Krakow - drive you to Auschwitz in a minibus and provide you with a tour guide.
Can't remember who we used but will dig it out and post on here - they were excellent - driver was also fluent in English and the guide was insanely good - fluent, passionate and really conveyed the emotion of the place.

Plenty of really nice places to eat and drink in Krakow - if you head away from the main square onto any of the side streets you will find food and drink just as good but for half the price of paying for the privilege of a view of the square.

Recommend popping down to the riverside too where there are various bar boats serving cheap beer - all of which was v nice.

Lots of sights to see - and all v compact and easily walkable - but there are lots of horse drawn carriages and little tuk-tuk style tour taxis if you can't be bothered walking

Il Duce
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Il Duce » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:45 pm

The Schindler Factory is within good distance of the centre, you could walk it but there are plenty of buses to get you there and it is reasonably priced.

I have visited Auschwitz recently from Krakow, there's a bus you can get from the bus station which will take you to the Auschwitz 1 (return tickets are very cheap). When you arrive you will have to book onto a tour group (they have many different languages on offer) unless you arrive before a certain time - my memory tells me that it is early morning and you can enter Auschwitz 1 without guidance.

You can then get a free shuttle to Birkenau and used the same shuttle bus to get back to Auschwitz 1 where the bus stop to Krakow is located.

d[-_-]b
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by d[-_-]b » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:46 pm

Beautiful city and great people. As with most, stay away from restaurants around the main square and head down some of the side streets. Beer & Food is fairly cheap; especially if you're open to trying some of the authentic Polish grub.

Plenty of English-speaking tours to Auschwitz, though we never actually went in the end as we were on a stag do and couldn't cope with the 6am get up...!
Well worth heading down to the river (Vistula) and having a walk along; it's a lovely walk.
Plenty of taxis outside the airport, they were all cheap enough and gave us lots of info on the journey into the city.

Enjoy! It's a great city.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:47 pm

You can look on your own and when I went there were tours in English. Incredibly hard to visit but an absolute must.

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Can't provide help as I haven't been - sorry! However Krakow is a place I've been meaning to go to for a while. Would be interested to hear how you find it :)

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Tour company for Auschwitz:

http://www.auschwitz-krakow.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Book it before you go - you'll likely have little chance to sort upon arrival

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:03 pm

The salt mines are worth a visit and, if you are feeling energetic, you can go to the top of the church tower in the square. Zakopane is a good trip but will probably be covered in 10 ft of snow this time of year so take your skis :) . If you want to go in the towers at Birkenau you need to pre book it, as we found out when it was too late. Schindler factory is quite good but give yourselves time to go round it. There is also the castle. Different prices depending on how much you want to see.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:11 pm

The salt mines are a must-visit.
Also, make certain you don't just visit Auschwitz, and get to Birkenau as well (some tours skip it). In many ways I find the Birkenau site to be more moving... the desolation and vastness of it.
If like me you have an interest in WW1 aviation, the national aviation museum is worth seeking out, because they have an incredible collection of original WW1 aircraft including a Sopwith Camel with 11 combat kills. The German national aircraft collection was hidden in a forest in WW2 to save being bombed in Berlin, and ended up in Poland.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Fantastic city. A walking city and the centre is fabulous.
As mentioned, Auschwitz & Birchenau, we paid guide tour at Auschwitz and it included bus to Birkenau.
Salt mines are a must.
Schindler factory is also the Krakow war story, very long to do it justice and very oppresive heat in there.
Nova Hutte is the old communist district.
The Jewish quarter and market.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Thank you all for the help so far. More feedback than I expected in such a short space of time.

Looks like I'm in for a treat. Leaves me with another question. Where are they playing the Leicester game in krakow? Haha!

I will give you plenty of feedback IndigoLake when I return.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Where to start..... Been a few times, most recently last month.

As per the above:

The Salt Mines are amazing.
Auschwitz is, as you might expect, a tough trip but you will regret it if you don't. It is free if you make your own way there; you pay for the travel from Krakow and tour.

The Schindler factory museum is also very good if you haven't had your fill of Nazi atrocities at Auscwitz. A walk around Podgorze, the Ghetto while you're there is also worth a bit of time spent.

Slightly further out, but in that area is the Krakus Mound, site of an old fort (I think) which provides great views over the city and is next to the Liban Quarry which was used as the Plazsow Concetration camp in Schindler's list.

The castle and riverside are a pleasant stroll.

Loads of places to eat and drink and very cheap; even on the main square beer is about £2 a pint. CK Browar, House of Beer and Oldsmobile are favourites of mine.

Kazmierz is also good for bars.

For something different, the pinball museum is a fun way to spend an hour or two. http://www.krakowpinballmuseum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, and there's loads of titty bars if you're into that kind of thing.

TheFamilyCat, Kraków Tourist Board. :D

minnieclaret

Post by minnieclaret » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:15 pm

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attractions- ... oland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Just to add a few points:
It's very easy to go on the public bus to Auschwitz. (Pick them up behind the railway station). It's a fraction of the cost of an organised tour and you can get a guided tour in English when you get there along with everyone else.
Don't take train to Auschwitz. It takes you to the new town not the camp and it's not really walk-able.

Don't miss the Chemist Shop on the square that was featured in Schindler's List, (it's now a small museum), and spend an evening having a meal in Kazimierz - the old Jewish Quarter, where you can ear traditional music and listem to traditional Jewish Music(Klezmer).

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2143 times
Has Liked: 3060 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Tell you one thing, bring your thermals its bloody freezing atm

Acting Claret
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Acting Claret » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:37 pm

I found the judenramp much more moving the birkenau. You follow the railway line out of the camp and it takes you to the main unloading area. There was no one there when we went. Read up on it before you go.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 pm

The salt mine is a must... Can't recall it's name... Don't dare not go it's amazing. Think you can get there by bus too.

Houseclaret
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Houseclaret » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:56 pm

Real Ale Brewpub. Run by Burnley Lad and big Clarets fan.
Check it out.. http://www.teatimebrewery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; UTC.

minnieclaret

Post by minnieclaret » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:41 am

Houseclaret wrote:Real Ale Brewpub. Run by Burnley Lad and big Clarets fan.
Check it out.. http://www.teatimebrewery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; UTC.
just found it on maps. Walked over the bridge to go to the Jewish quarter. Wish I'd known then.

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:39 am

C and J

I would endorse all previous comments about the Auschwitz visit. As already mentioned there are guides in English. The lady who took us round was a local Polish national who lost three of her uncles in the camps. She was fantastic and contributed greatly to our understanding of what went on there.

The Auschwitz tour is such an emotionally charged experience that you may be tempted to give the shuttle bus trip to Birkenau a miss. DON'T! It's a relatively short trip and the visit to Birkenau where the Holocaust victims were transported into the camps puts the horrors of what went on there into stark perspective.

It would be totally wrong to say I enjoyed my day at Auschwitz. There's nothing to enjoy, but it's a visit that I'll never forget and one I'm so glad I made.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:26 am

And to add to all other comments.
If you are planning your own trip to Ausxhwitz, (which is by far the best way since you can follow your own timetable), don't be tempted to factor in less than a full day and take a packed lunch.
You've got your journey there, the guided tour at Auschwitz 1, then spare time, then the shuttle bus to Birkenau, where I would suggest you spend several hours (including taking in the Judenramp as recommended by another poster), then it's the shuttle back to Aushwitz 1, then the return journey to Krakow.
Paramount is the fact that this is not a place to rush round. you need to give your self time to take it all in and reflect. It's not the sort of place that you quickly visit and then tick off on your list of tourist destinations.

Nah

Post by Nah » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:07 pm

I like Kraków, went for the first time last year and will definitely be going back again.

The walking tours are a good way to see around the place. Did this on the first day. Don't bother with them sightseeing carts.

Booked auschwitz and birkenau through the hotel and went on the coach tour.

The salt mines is great, although be prepared to be packed into the lifts, its quite cosy.

I was very surprised with the high quality of the food. I would recommend eating at Starka. It is very busy at the evening, i emailed them to book.

Also recommend Trezo. The food was excellent and nicely presented.

Milkbar Tomasza is nice little cafe for dinner, with lots of good local food.

'Lost soul alley' is good fun. It's an interactive haunted building where you have to find a key or lock number to get to the next room.

minnieclaret

Post by minnieclaret » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:15 pm

Food wise: I love the mushroom soup served IN a loaf of bread. Being a gannet I eat the lot.

The Quattro
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by The Quattro » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:22 am

Some brilliant advice here. Kraków is a beautiful city with a rich history and plenty to see and do.

Wieliczka Salt Mines, Auschwitz & Birkenau, Kazimierz (Jewish Quarter), Wawel Castle and Schindler's Factory are definitely a must visit in my view. If you have time to, try and visit some of the churches and synagogues as they can be absolutely breathtaking inside. St. Florian's Gate and the Barbican are easy enough to see on the way to the railway station if you're staying within the Old Town and planning on getting the train to Wieliczka.

+1 for Lost Soul's Alley. It's situated on the way to the Barbican and it's great fun, especially the last bit!

The tram system is good for getting round when it's bitterly cold (as it is at the mo). Cheap too.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:50 am

Went a few years back on a stag do, cracking place, had a great time, with friendly locals. The only thing I would add is when dining out, give pierogi a whirl. A hybrid of small pies and dumplings. We got spicy ones, some of the best food I have ever had!

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:30 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Thank you all for the help so far. More feedback than I expected in such a short space of time.

Looks like I'm in for a treat. Leaves me with another question. Where are they playing the Leicester game in krakow? Haha!

I will give you plenty of feedback IndigoLake when I return.
This a hell of a thread bump but how was Krakow? There's a chance I'm going this coming January so would be great to know how you found it. Cheers!

Claretitus
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by Claretitus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:19 pm

There's a sports bar right on the top of the square, loads of big tv's. Great meat restaurant right at the foot of the castle, next to the bus stop where you hop on and off for the open top city tour. It looks like a railway carriage from outside. Very good steaks and cheap too.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:48 pm

After thorough research I found this one to be preeminent.

C.K. Browar, Podwale 6-7, Kraków, Poland
Brewpub:Hours: 10:00 - open end.
Down the steps into a vaulted cellar bar, I like the look - dark wood, hefty benches, large open bierkeller. You will find four beers on offer: Jasne - a pale pils, Ciemne - a dark lager, a wheat beer and a ginger beer with a seasonal beers often available as well. Just a little warning, beware the “bog troll”, you need a lot of change when you need to use the WC. We also visited here approx 8 years ago and it is just the same? They have not moved forward with the times and embraced the new Craft Beer Revolution.

I watched a Burnley game in there when we were over there 4 or 5 years ago, by the way the ales are served to you at your table by waitresses...most civilised :)

Thanks to Wigan CAMRA for this write up.

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:05 pm

Zakopane is a good trip as long as you aren't scared of heights. You go into the mountains and come down on a ski lift. It's a ski resort in winter but no snow to be seen in summer.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:07 pm

IndigoLake wrote:This a hell of a thread bump but how was Krakow? There's a chance I'm going this coming January so would be great to know how you found it. Cheers!
It was amazing mate, great country. Very friendly people, lovely food, some good beers (if you're into that), good levels of historical significance.

I'd highly recommend going.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:29 pm

Oh yes nearly forgot on the eating front we found a rather snug pancake cafe.

Also another tick for the salt mine, one of the wonders of the world.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:01 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:It was amazing mate, great country. Very friendly people, lovely food, some good beers (if you're into that), good levels of historical significance.

I'd highly recommend going.
Brilliant. Thanks for the info - I definitely like good food and beer so that's a great start! :D

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 713 times
Has Liked: 1995 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:22 pm

I went to Krakow on a stag do and highly regret having a few too many drinks the night before our visit to Auschwitz. Still was a very valuable visit. Am sure I will go back again for a better opportunity of reflection.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:15 pm

IndigoLake wrote:This a hell of a thread bump but how was Krakow? There's a chance I'm going this coming January so would be great to know how you found it. Cheers!
Indigo, when this thread was run a few years back a Claret posted that he had a bar there. Can't promise he's still there now but it was the T.E.A Time bar.

http://www.teatimebrewery.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Google as i wrote it will get you a map.

Only just noticed it was flagged up earlier.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:04 pm

piston broke wrote:Indigo, when this thread was run a few years back a Claret posted that he had a bar there. Can't promise he's still there now but it was the T.E.A Time bar.

http://www.teatimebrewery.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Google as i wrote it will get you a map.

Only just noticed it was flagged up earlier.
Cheers piston broke, appreciate it! Will check that place out if I end up going :D

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1133 times
Has Liked: 1604 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:19 am

Another bump for anything not already added. We're due to go in February for a long weekend. Did anybody bother with the museum and transport pass ?

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Just booked a two day trip for June this year.

Will use the information on this thread to make sure I get plenty in.