Kights

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Kights

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Before posting this, I'll get my tin hat.

Looking at the scores on the doors within the Player Ratings, and some of the comments made about him, I suspect that I'll get shot down for what I'm about to post.

Michael Kightly tried as hard as any of our team last night. So why the negativity towards him? (And, I only gave him a 6 as well)

Well, he's not a Messi or a Ronaldo. But, he's not a Payet or a Costa either! He has spent a lot of time during the past few seasons "on the bench" and in the reserves. It would be easy for a player to become disheartened about this. That's not what I saw in Kights last night. He was busting a gut to get to the ball, to run with it and attempt to put his mark on the game. Didn't always come off, but he tried.

A huge part of the problem for him last night was that he was alongside Barton, Defour, Boyd and Hendrick... as good a midfield performance as I've seen for many a moon. He isn't as gifted as those four, but he gave his all.

As a supporter, that's what I want from our players, commitment à la Brian O'Neil or Ralph Coates.

I'd like to see him being given another couple of run outs, even if it is only "from the bench".

Tin hat on, hiding sur la table! ;)
This user liked this post: Siddo

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 823 times
Has Liked: 1607 times

Re: Kights

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Some posters need a scapegoat.
It is MK's turn?

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:06 pm

DAVETHEVICAR wrote:Some posters need a scapegoat.
Very true. Happen just as well we won then or some would be down the chippy trying to set fire to his dog ;)

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Good post, but you'd be better hiding under the table, non?

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:24 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:Good post, but you'd be better hiding under the table, non?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, en dessous de la table ;)
These 2 users liked this post: duncandisorderly Rowls

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:33 pm

I like him. Direct, always looking to get forward and gives the defenders something to think about even if he isn't the quickest or most skillful.

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by northeastclaret » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:34 pm

He is still with us because we could not get him off ours hands because we pay him more than what he could get elsewhere ie Ipswich.

Last season he was behind Taylor and Dyer in the pecking order, two players even at their age would still offer more to the the team this season than Kights if they were still under contract.

He does appear to try hard but some of that is that pretending to close down but rarely gets a tackle or header in. Long past his sell by date and hopefully will either be sold or further down the pecking order if we finally get an other signing that can play on the wing this transfer window.

Saying that he did play well against Everton but last night he was by far our weakest player in the team.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:38 pm

As my dad said last night a good servant and always works hard but you'd imagine we'd be looking to offload him this month if we land our targets.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:50 pm

He is definitely no longer a premier league standard player.

However he appears to buy into the Dyche way, even when that means he is not playing.

He is ok and I agree with Dyche about where he is in the pecking order. (By my reckoning he is 6th choice wide player given we would play JBG, Boyd, Arfield, Defour or Hendrick out wide before him.) It may be even further down the order but the youngsters we have in that position are cup-tied.

The fact that he played yesterday shows that we are light in midfield at present.

That a player of that quality is 6th choice shows how far our squad has come.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:52 pm

as Dyche always says, running hard and maximum effort are the minimum requirements. He was outstanding away at Stoke in our last PL campaign but other than that he hasn't done much. 100% needs replacing for me (not Mee!)

simonclaret
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 3596 times

Post by simonclaret » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:54 pm

I thought he did ok last night. He showed a lot of the qualities Dyche values highly and whilst he looked a little rusty that's only to be expected with so little first team action for him recently.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:33 pm

' I thought he did ok last night's

One very good ' lay off' for Vokes in the 2nd half from which Sam should have done better. Other than that, no contribution at all. He has served us well,especially the first promotion season, but there is no room for sentiment in modern football and a move away,I suspect, would suit all parties.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm sure he'll move on either this window or at the end of the season when his contract runs down, but I didn't get the criticism of him at all last night and to suggest he made no contribution other than one pass is just not the case. And he still gets us up the pitch better than some of our other wide players.

But as said, there always has to be a scapegoat. Incredibly, a few weeks ago, there were negative threads about Jeff Hendrick. Now that did take some believing.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Stevie2112
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 473 times

Post by Stevie2112 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Doubt he will be here next season,along with Boyd.

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:39 pm

I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt because and only because, as a right footed 'winger' you really don't want to be playing on the left.

Apart from that he was rubbish last night

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2194 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:40 pm

I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he shouldn't be the first name on the team sheet.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 pm

You've only had 974 posts fidel by my reckoning 70 of the last 74 are the same thing!!!

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:45 pm

He played well, and by that I mean he contributed, from about March onwards in our first promotion season with Dyche. He had a good game away at Stoke in the PL two years ago. I genuinely struggle to see what else he's done. He barely played last season and it's the same this season. For me he wants too much time on the ball and is a bit of a show pony - looks the part but never actually does anything of worth. Hopefully he'll move on. I've nothing against the guy, he's been part of a great era for our club, i just think he's a spent force.

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:53 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Before posting this, I'll get my tin hat.

Looking at the scores on the doors within the Player Ratings, and some of the comments made about him, I suspect that I'll get shot down for what I'm about to post.

Michael Kightly tried as hard as any of our team last night. So why the negativity towards him? (And, I only gave him a 6 as well)

Well, he's not a Messi or a Ronaldo. But, he's not a Payet or a Costa either! He has spent a lot of time during the past few seasons "on the bench" and in the reserves. It would be easy for a player to become disheartened about this. That's not what I saw in Kights last night. He was busting a gut to get to the ball, to run with it and attempt to put his mark on the game. Didn't always come off, but he tried.

A huge part of the problem for him last night was that he was alongside Barton, Defour, Boyd and Hendrick... as good a midfield performance as I've seen for many a moon. He isn't as gifted as those four, but he gave his all.

As a supporter, that's what I want from our players, commitment à la Brian O'Neil or Ralph Coates.

I'd like to see him being given another couple of run outs, even if it is only "from the bench".

Tin hat on, hiding sur la table! ;)
You shouldn't need a tin hat for having an opinion,that's what forums are for.
As for Kightly,last night he was given a chance to show what he could do against a poor sunderland team. He wasn't bad,but he did no where near enough to earn a place in the team.
I won't slate him it's not my style,but when you get a start you have to give the manager a selection headache by playing well,and by the scores given to him it's probably a fair reflection of how he played last night.

ShabbaRanks
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by ShabbaRanks » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:55 pm

DAVETHEVICAR wrote:Some posters need a scapegoat.
It is MK's turn?
Never understand this type of lazy response, and you see it a lot on here. It gets trotted out normally by folk who say that you shouldn't criticize players for your team or want to make themselves look like they are a "better" fan than you.

Believe it or not, there are footballers who having varying degrees of ability. Crazy right? There are players that are international players and those that are not good enough to play at that level, There are players who play in the Premier League and League 2, and then there are players that play for the same team that are not as good as their counterparts.

Now, consider this. This is insane i know but try to stick with it. There are players at Burnley FC, just like any other football club in the world that might not just be at the same technical level as some of their team mates.

Sometimes, it can be markedly obvious when this is so. Rather than "scapegoating", some folk express a desire to replace this player with a player who they deem to be of superior technical ability.

It would appear that we were supposedly acquiescent to allowing him to leave so there may be those in the club that have grasped this undoubtedly baffling concept.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:57 pm

northeastclaret wrote:He is still with us because we could not get him off ours hands because we pay him more than what he could get elsewhere ie Ipswich.

Last season he was behind Taylor and Dyer in the pecking order, two players even at their age would still offer more to the the team this season than Kights if they were still under contract.

He does appear to try hard but some of that is that pretending to close down but rarely gets a tackle or header in. Long past his sell by date and hopefully will either be sold or further down the pecking order if we finally get an other signing that can play on the wing this transfer window.

Saying that he did play well against Everton but last night he was by far our weakest player in the team.
I thought he was our best biggest attacking threat in the early part of last season, before Gray got going.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:03 pm

And there are those who want to be supportive of all players wearing our Claret + Blue including our squad players who are no longer starters. Those who look for the positives rather than the negatives. Let the manager decide who leaves and who stays, but while they are here lets be positive and supportive to all. Let's pretend we are doing and saying what might help to get the best out of all of our players. We are in this together. All for one and one for all.
This user liked this post: RalphCoatesComb

Jambo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 240 times

Post by Jambo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Probably because he's not very good and didn't play very well. Nowt against Kightly but we outgrew him some time ago and I don't really understand why he's still here. Assuming we sign a winger in the window, he'll be behind them, JBG, Boyd and Arfield. Most weeks he won't be anywhere near the 18.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:10 pm

I like Kightly but think we may have seen the best of him and now need to upgrade. Think he may have left already but for the wages he is on. Didn't give the manager a selection problem last night. Overall has played his part for our club.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:And there are those who want to be supportive of all players wearing our Claret + Blue including our squad players who are no longer starters. Those who look for the positives rather than the negatives. Let the manager decide who leaves and who stays, but while they are here lets be positive and supportive to all. Let's pretend we are doing and saying what might help to get the best out of all of our players. We are in this together. All for one and one for all.
I wasn't there last night and so can't comment on his performance. It baffles me though that someone is classed as being a scapegoat or not supported because of comments on their performance or worth to the team on a messageboard.

I'd bet not one of those with a "negative" (expressing an opinion in my eyes) comment about Kightly on this thread was doing anything other than support both him and the team last night.

Should we want better and look to upgrade on Kightly - 100% we should. I'm not even sure anyone was looking for a scapegoat - we won after all - let's not confuse the clear difference between comments on a messageboard and a lack of support for one of our players. Two entirely different things.
These 3 users liked this post: bartons baggage northeastclaret ShabbaRanks

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:50 pm

For what it's worth, I've always rated kightly but last night he wasn't at his best. Maybe a little ring rusty?..
This user liked this post: RalphCoatesComb