Android box/Kodi advice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Android box/Kodi advice

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:33 pm

So I've been using an MXQ box for a while, it streams TV shows/Movies perfectly with no buffering, but since using Sportsmania, I get a ton of buffering, even when connected via ethernet.

My friend has an Amazon Firestick with Kodi and is connected via WiFi and SportsMani streams effortlessly.

Question is.. Can the hardware impact the performance of buffering/streaming etc? Or is it purely down to the connection to the internet?

Clarinetclaret
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Re: Android box/Kodi advice

Post by Clarinetclaret » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:07 pm

If you can stream 1080p movies then it's not your internet. Think when i subscribed to another sports package before it was stuttering like mad, it turned out to be an hardware acceleration issue. Have a look in the kodi settings.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Cheers mate.

Is there anything specific I need to alter? Yeah movies etc are fine, and generally don't buffer any more than usual, which is rare in itself.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2335 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:57 pm

It might be down to your Internet provider. If it is buffering at night mainly and fine in the day that is. Keep an eye on the speed using speedtest.net. The firebox is a good box though after upgrading from mxq. I'm currently awaiting my new isp to activate my new line so I can test the connection to sm

Geoff
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Geoff » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:02 pm

It's worth looking into a few things starting with hardware acceleration as mentioned above. There are some guides on sportsmania's site on what you should do.

If that doesn't work it is worth researching a little bit on refresh rates etc. as these are different from films to live sport streams

steve_f
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by steve_f » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Clear the cache within the addon, under maintenance. Disable hardware acceleration within the addon. I normally watch the games via their calendar links. If there is a FS1 or FS2 or nbc sports link, they are usually the best. I have watched virtually every game or sporting event buffer free on sportsmania ver the last 6 months.

Wilson Drake

Post by Wilson Drake » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:So I've been using an MXQ box for a while, it streams TV shows/Movies perfectly with no buffering, but since using Sportsmania, I get a ton of buffering, even when connected via ethernet.

My friend has an Amazon Firestick with Kodi and is connected via WiFi and SportsMani streams effortlessly.

Question is.. Can the hardware impact the performance of buffering/streaming etc? Or is it purely down to the connection to the internet?
No I don't think that the device can effect the buffering unless your WiFi connection is unstable. Other than that kodi on android boxes works pretty fine with a good internet connection. The mere problems for buffering is majorly due to Cache in your device which you need to clear.
Try this method to clear cache on Kodi
  • Download Super Repo Zip File on your device.
    Open Kodi > Click Add-ons> Click on Box-shaped icon on top-left corner.
    Select Install from Zip File > Here you need to Navigate the downloaded Zip File > It will take some time to install.
    Click Install from Repository> Select SuperRepo Repositories [Krypton] [V7].
    Click Add-on repository.
    Click SuperRepo All [Krypton [V7] .
    Click on Install > Wait for the add-on to be installed.
    Open Add-ons menu> Click on the Box icon.
    Click on Install from Repository> Click SuperRepo All [Krypton] [v7] > Click Program add-ons.
    Click Merlin Repository > Select Merlin wizard from the list> Click Install.
    Open Program Add-ons > Select Merlin wizard> Go to Tool Box > Click Clear Cache.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8727 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:22 am

My brother in law has trouble as it seems his bt tv box can spot the fire tv and slows it to a halt, sometimes. Can be working fine until a match starts!

Otherwise, info above is good.

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:30 am

The quality of the box has a massive effect. I limped along with a cheapo Android box which struggled to transcode the sound and HD video and so buffered. Bought an Nvidia Shield at the back end of the year and whilst not cheap, the difference is like going from SD to UHD.
These 2 users liked this post: BertiesBeehole JohnMac

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 pm

I've got ultimatemania on a mxq Pro and it's been fine with a bit of buffering here and there. Even use it wireless upstairs and there isn't much buffering if any. Then watched UM on my laptop and no buffering whatsoever. Are you using a vpn for the footy? Don't use a vpn for anything else. It's probably down to your Internet provider knowing what you are watching.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:39 pm

dushanbe wrote:The quality of the box has a massive effect. I limped along with a cheapo Android box which struggled to transcode the sound and HD video and so buffered. Bought an Nvidia Shield at the back end of the year and whilst not cheap, the difference is like going from SD to UHD.
Rolls Royce!!!

BertiesBeehole
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 2485 times

Post by BertiesBeehole » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Had an MXQ as well as several other similar boxes. Bought the Nvidia Shield in Jan. It really is a massive upgrade. I can't remember the exact tech terminology but it has hi spec wifi capabilities or something, much more advanced than any other box.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:30 pm

At least twice the price if not much more. One of those 'you get what you pay for' situations.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:37 pm

dushanbe wrote:The quality of the box has a massive effect. I limped along with a cheapo Android box which struggled to transcode the sound and HD video and so buffered. Bought an Nvidia Shield at the back end of the year and whilst not cheap, the difference is like going from SD to UHD.
What are you using to view your streams? I have plex on my shield which I use for streaming from someone’s server but it’s not always the best. I’ve still got kodi but my sports mania membership expired and I can’t be arsed ******* around with bitcoin to pay for it.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3806 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:46 pm

I've used the Shield for nearly 2 years and the only problem I had was down to a poor broadband package.

Since upgrading to Fibre it has been excellent, bar one game - Swansea, and that was down to the Olympics overunning.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:15 pm

£179 Bit steep

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1150 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:45 am

I use a firestick with Plex which cutsy123 sorted for me. So far it’s working brilliantly. No vpn needed either. I was on Mania HD and found it was unreliable.

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 am

IanMcL wrote:£179 Bit steep
You aren't just paying for a streaming device such as a firestick, it has much more to offer. No different to people and cars really Ian, they can all get you from A to B.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:05 am

I understand JohnMac. Great for gamers I believe.

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:08 am

IanMcL wrote:I understand JohnMac. Great for gamers I believe.
I don't play games personally but there is loads of stuff on there to amuse my Grandkids.