The annual Karanka wobble

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: The annual Karanka wobble

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 am

Don't you come on here with your logical arguments and your coherent sentences.
These 4 users liked this post: Goodclaret Sidney1st lucs86 Lancasterclaret

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:54 am

RandomBoroBloke wrote:I'm not hear to criticise you chaps and I know every team likes to have a bit of banter against other teams/managers etc but a couple of things do need to be cleared up. His interview where he allegedly criticised the fans was unintelligible at best as whilst his English is ok it oft fails when trying to convey finer detail, he's apologised for any misunderstanding with this.

Secondly he had a scheduled day off yesterday, hasn't been sacked or resigned, I guess like everyone he gets to have a day off (who knew?).

For the record, I'm not really a fan of AK and I think he plays a lot of negative football etc but he's ours and he's put us back in the PL so i'll stick with him until Gibson decides otherwise.
I can't agree that his interview was unintelligible. I live in the Tyne Tees area and heard his full interview and he WAS critical of the fans because there have been rumblings about Boro's performances recently and their negative approach. He probably felt that he needed to get this off his chest because it has been building up for several weeks now and he is feeling the pressure, which is understandable.
He has brought pressure on himself because of whatever happened last season before the Charlton match and he is always going to be over-scrutinised by some fans, as is every manager.

As far as I am concerned he is just another football manager who, along with 91 other League managers, is living on the edge of a few bad results -- he is welcome to the job.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1514 times

Post by Goodclaret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Fair points (ish) RandomBoro :)

I think any reference to the fans should be positive or not at all by a manager. You never want to give the fans half a reason to not be on your side as it can cost you your job in the end.

On another point, AK does seem to mention long balls a lot (or the media perceive it that way?). Looking at the stats so far you guys are only 6 long balls behind us yet he seems to think that's not your style. As a fan, do you feel you play long a lot or not?

Goodclaret

Post by Goodclaret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:04 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Don't you come on here with your logical arguments and your coherent sentences.
Ha ha, yeah, this will never catch on :)

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 398 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Remember after we went one up against Boro this season, they spent the last 10 minutes passing the ball sideways on the edge of their own area? I wonder why that would frustrate fans.

RandomBoroBloke
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by RandomBoroBloke » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Goodclaret wrote:Fair points (ish) RandomBoro :)

I think any reference to the fans should be positive or not at all by a manager. You never want to give the fans half a reason to not be on your side as it can cost you your job in the end.

On another point, AK does seem to mention long balls a lot (or the media perceive it that way?). Looking at the stats so far you guys are only 6 long balls behind us yet he seems to think that's not your style. As a fan, do you feel you play long a lot or not?
I've honestly never thought "FFS why all the long balls", I've thought "FFS stop passing it backwards" but never long balls. Has anyone ever established what they are using as a benchmark as a long ball though? Is it distance based or simply a long pass?

That said though as a follower as a newly promoted team I think I would be ok with survival if that meant playing a more direct game as I know we can pass it around when we need to. In the matches I've watched Burnley also though I've never thought you guys did much long stuff but looking at the table of long balls you are up there with us.

Does AK mention long balls much? I think that's reporters taking things out of context in the same way that the terrible Evening Gazette on Teesside seem to think that SD only talks about how much more money everyone else has. Its just click bait reporting for football fans imho.

In summary, I'm not taking to much notice of silly stat tables when only really one table counts :P
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Goodclaret

Post by Goodclaret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:21 pm

RandomBoroBloke wrote:I've honestly never thought "FFS why all the long balls", I've thought "FFS stop passing it backwards" but never long balls. Has anyone ever established what they are using as a benchmark as a long ball though? Is it distance based or simply a long pass?

That said though as a follower as a newly promoted team I think I would be ok with survival if that meant playing a more direct game as I know we can pass it around when we need to. In the matches I've watched Burnley also though I've never thought you guys did much long stuff but looking at the table of long balls you are up there with us.

Does AK mention long balls much? I think that's reporters taking things out of context in the same way that the terrible Evening Gazette on Teesside seem to think that SD only talks about how much more money everyone else has. Its just click bait reporting for football fans imho.

In summary, I'm not taking to much notice of silly stat tables when only really one table counts :P
That's a very good point re what is a long ball. United do it and it's great distribution, a lesser team does it and it's a hopeful punt :)

I honestly don't care what anyone says about SD's brand and way of playing. It's brought us massive success recently and I love us winning games. We all want lovely football but you have to work with what you have and try and come out on top. SD is always learning by his own admission but he's doing a bloody good job and if we can stay up this season it will be one of the best achievements here at my club.
These 2 users liked this post: RandomBoroBloke Zom Zom

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:54 pm

RandomBoro - are you a Peterboro or Stevenage fan ?

Far too sensible and balanced to be an online MIddlesbrough fan
This user liked this post: RandomBoroBloke

RandomBoroBloke
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by RandomBoroBloke » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:40 pm

claretdom wrote:RandomBoro - are you a Peterboro or Stevenage fan ?

Far too sensible and balanced to be an online MIddlesbrough fan
LoL Middlesbrough but also a football fan. Obviously Middlesbrough are my team and have been since I was a kid etc but just cba with all the rivalry nonsense when its not match day.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:48 pm

RandomBoroBloke wrote: Has anyone ever established what they are using as a benchmark as a long ball though? Is it distance based or simply a long pass?
One of them silly statistics thingys the other week said a long ball is nowhere near the vicinity of a teammate. That would be a pass, I guess?
Most of our long balls are actually passes. We're just not very good at it.
This user liked this post: RandomBoroBloke