If we went down by 1 pt, will we look back on this game?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BertiesView
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 5 times

If we went down by 1 pt, will we look back on this game?

Post by BertiesView » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Its staggers me how far behind Football is in terms of utilising Video Technology. Especially compared to Rugby, Tennis etc. The devils advocate would argue it'd slow down the pace of the game, making it stop start, not allowing the split second second (possible season changing) decisions etc.

Got me thinking, I wonder what the league table would look like if decisions like this were, in effect, rescinded in the same way red cards are, if wrongly given. I know, crazy talk huh? But, what if we went got relegated by a single point. Would we look back at this game? Sean, of course would never base the entire season on a single game. But it is definitely food for thought. Arsenal clearly gained an advantage today from an illegal play, no other way of buttering it up, he was offside but it wasn't seen by any of the referees.

Is it crazy talk? Burnley fan paranoia?

Tl/dr: will we look back at a wrongly given referee decision if we went down by 1 pt? I hate being such a pessimist, were stronger than ever.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Re: If we went down by 1 pt, will we look back on this game?

Post by BennyD » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:27 pm

I'd look back at today and when we played them at t'Turf. Punching the ball in whilst blatantly off side was even more galling than today.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:27 pm

No,
We beat Everton in the last minute, swings and roundabouts. Sometimes they go for you, sometimes they go against you.
Ultimately if we're relegated our away form will be the reason why not just one refereeing decision or one game.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Not today, the one at the Turf definitely

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:29 pm

More likely to look back on a defeat at home to Swansea and a draw to Hull
This user liked this post: JohnMac

Westyorkclaret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Westyorkclaret » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:40 pm

We won't go down, so no need to look back at all.

14th is the lowest position we will finish - anyway, things even themselves out over the course of the season. We may have out luck to come yet

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Robbed at the Turf.

Robbed today.

Welcome to the rollercoaster.....

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:42 pm

I suppose the defeat to Swansea would be seen as a worse, and ultimately more costly, result.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1514 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:47 pm

KRBFC wrote:No,
We beat Everton in the last minute, swings and roundabouts. Sometimes they go for you, sometimes they go against you.
Ultimately if we're relegated our away form will be the reason why not just one refereeing decision or one game.
How can you compare a perfectly good, legal goal in the last few minutes to an offside goal in the last few minutes? Your thought process just doesn't stack up.

cutsy123
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by cutsy123 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:49 pm

No

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:49 pm

the OP is obviously referring to the fact we lost in the last minute from a penalty that was at best iffy and clearly offside and at worst a penalty and blatantly offside - nothing to do with Swansea or Everton?

Nothing we can do but move on, if it costs us (probably wont) then again there's nothing we can do about it.

I remember Stanley losing out on 2 (or was it 1?) point with a late goal that wasn't allowed because the ref blew for full time (or half time) when the ball was in flight. It went in but didnt count. That was last season and probably just as disappointing as what happened today.

So annoying but we move on - If Arsenal need to have so much go against us, in two games against us, then they need to reassess their title credentials - I thought they were poor again today.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Goodclaret wrote:How can you compare a perfectly good, legal goal in the last few minutes to an offside goal in the last few minutes? Your thought process just doesn't stack up.
I was talking about goals in general not officiating.
Sometimes you win fortunately other times you unfortunately lose. Win games you don't deserve to win, lose games you don't deserve to lose. It's football and I certainly wouldn't point to 1 moment of the season if we were to get relegated. Similar to officiating, sometimes you get the decision that suit you other times they go against you.
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Both games against cheating bxxxxxxs Arsenal.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:24 pm

No and no.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:28 pm

if we go down playing like we have done over the last few weeks then you would have to say that Boro, Hull, Leicester, Sunderland, Palace, Swansea etc etc have had exceptional second halves of the season !

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Westyorkclaret wrote:We won't go down, so no need to look back at all.

14th is the lowest position we will finish - anyway, things even themselves out over the course of the season. We may have out luck to come yet
This is clearly nonsense and is usually spouted by the likes of Merson and Nicholas.

How will it even itself out if, for example, we get two killer decisions against us in the last two games and we're two decisions down with no time for it to magically correct itself?

Is there some sort of football God that prevents this happening and ensures perfect evening out of the decisions over the 38 games?

Claretnick
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by Claretnick » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:41 pm

If we go down now from the position we are in then we only have ourselves to blame. We have played all the so called super clubs away from home now so I expect us to start picking up some points on our travels. We can kick on and finish in a comfortable position.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:47 pm

The trouble is that rightly or wrongly you just get left with this horrible feeling that the "big" teams will always have that pivotal decision or that slice of luck go their way and that officials do lean towards them or are intimidated by them and their stature. It happens too often to be coincidence. It's not just about today, but last time against this lot too. We'd never have got those marginal decisions. We only got the penalty today because he pretty much hacks Barnes' knee cap!

BertiesView
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by BertiesView » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:50 pm

BBC did an article on what the table would look like had every goal that hit the post went in. Be interesting to see what the premier league table would look like had every decision been to the book. Admittedly, I agree that you would like to think that referees arent bias and that sort of luck comes back around throughout the season. I think the fact the Sean said himself that there would be "No Point" in pursuing discussions with the officiates regarding their decision, struck a chord.

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Hugely frustrating result, but it is another round of games gone and we are still 10 points above the bottom 3. And perhaps more important, the way I am feeling right now is that we could well look back on the end to this game as a galvanizing moment that gave us even more determination to battle even harder (if that is possible) to prove the doubters wrong and earn ourselves another season in the PL. Get on with it and notch those points on the board that will get us up to 40 with 2 or 3 games to spare, we can do this.
This user liked this post: Claretnick