"Alternative Facts"

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Re: "Alternative Facts"

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:53 pm

LongsideFacingUp wrote:Idealogue it is then.
Accepting that you're an ideologue isn't something to be proud of, not like anti-intellectualism.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:07 pm

"Alternative facts" is another way of using the term "truthiness". It's like people who believe the only true version of God's word is the King James Bible. Change a "thou" to "you", and the whole thing has no meaning. Really? As Shakespeare said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

bluelabrador16
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 125 times

Post by bluelabrador16 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:35 pm

?
Last edited by bluelabrador16 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

geopancake
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by geopancake » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Somebody has probably already said this, but these aren't career politicians and have no idea how to do properly believable lies. Give them a year and they'll know how to do it right.

Trumps version of doublespeak is currently sh*the, the previous encumbants have had years of practise.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Trump was on TV yesterday trying to give condolences to victims of tornadoes in Georgia. I've never seen anybody look so uncomfortable in my life. He simply doesn't "do" empathy.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:23 pm

ontario claret wrote:"Alternative facts" is another way of using the term "truthiness". It's like people who believe the only true version of God's word is the King James Bible. Change a "thou" to "you", and the whole thing has no meaning. Really? As Shakespeare said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Truthiness was coined by a liberal though, so she can't use that.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:33 am

KeighleyClaret wrote:What complete and utter tosh.
IT WAS A BLO ODY JOKE!!!!! GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:04 am

Kellyanne Con

Way not required on the end of her name

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:11 am

No way?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:02 am

Without evidence, Trump tells lawmakers 3 million to 5 million illegal ballots cost him the popular vote. - Washington Post

Trump is really embracing this idea of "alternative facts".

It begs the question, if the guy who won the Presidency is even saying that the election had upto 5 million illegal votes, then isn't he questionming his own legitimacy? Because surely an election with that many illegal ballots cannot be considered legitimate.

morpheus2
Been Liked: 750 times
Has Liked: 1827 times

Post by morpheus2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:06 am

"Islam is a religion of peace" is a well used alternative fact that is entirely contradicted by evidence that can be put right in front of your eyes, and then espousers claim that they're still right, and often when exposed to the facts as a last resort they have to turn to moral equivalence and tu quoque "yes well such and such a religion is bad, have you read the old testament?"......it's like saying "bowel cancer isn't so bad because people die in car crashes too".
This user liked this post: ontario claret

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:19 am

morpheus2 wrote:"Islam is a religion of peace" is a well used alternative fact that is entirely contradicted by evidence that can be put right in front of your eyes, and then espousers claim that they're still right, and often when exposed to the facts as a last resort they have to turn to moral equivalence and tu quoque "yes well such and such a religion is bad, have you read the old testament?"......it's like saying "bowel cancer isn't so bad because people die in car crashes too".
The "Islam is a religion of peace" line only comes from Muslims who believe in a peaceful Islam, and from non-Muslims who don't consider militant Islamism to be legitimately "Islam". That's not the same as "alternative fact" as Kellyann Conway defines it. When you realise that although to you and I Sunni, Shia, Wahhabi, Salafi, Ahmadiyya, etc. are all Muslims, although they all see themselves as Muslims they don't necessarily see each other as Muslims, you then begin to understand why some of them call Islam a religion of peace when to you and I it appears to be anything but. Because to them, and their interpretation of the Koran it really is peaceful, it really does only say to wage war when agressed upon. These people see those who wage war for non-defensive reasons as unislamic.

But anyway, as I said, this isn't an "alternative fact" by Conway's apparent definition.

LongsideFacingUp
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by LongsideFacingUp » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:35 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:The "Islam is a religion of peace" line only comes from Muslims who believe in a peaceful Islam, and from non-Muslims who don't consider militant Islamism to be legitimately "Islam". That's not the same as "alternative fact" as Kellyann Conway defines it. When you realise that although to you and I Sunni, Shia, Wahhabi, Salafi, Ahmadiyya, etc. are all Muslims, although they all see themselves as Muslims they don't necessarily see each other as Muslims, you then begin to understand why some of them call Islam a religion of peace when to you and I it appears to be anything but. Because to them, and their interpretation of the Koran it really is peaceful, it really does only say to wage war when agressed upon. These people see those who wage war for non-defensive reasons as unislamic.

But anyway, as I said, this isn't an "alternative fact" by Conway's apparent definition.
Ahmadiyya is the only Muslim denomination there that can be considered peaceful and that's about 1% of Mulsims worldwide.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:41 am

So 99% of people who partake in worship of Mohammed are just waiting for a chance to kill us all in the fires of jihad?

Cheers Donald

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:02 am

LongsideFacingUp wrote:Ahmadiyya is the only Muslim denomination there that can be considered peaceful and that's about 1% of Mulsims worldwide.
Says you.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 pm

been absent for a couple of days - recovering from the beating up from Mrs NRC for not joining her in a protest march. I have to say the comparative photos are anything but. They're taken 30 minutes apart. Now compare Turf Moor at 2.30 vs 3pm on a Saturday.

I've started to react to the whole anti-Trump thing. The media are clearly against him and are "trumping" up all kinds of biased information. And the Democratic party is in serious disarray.

I'm starting to take the position of letting Trump get on with it, and instead of the direct attack, instead focus on better media reporting and the democratic party giving itself a good shake up to provide a real alternate next time round. If it wasn't for Obama they'd have been dead in the water for an age.

As I said to the Mrs - "don't have a go at me for not joining in with your tactical protest that while impressive in numbers is ultimately utterly ineffective. Wake up y'all, think about your strategy, organize, be relentless in applying the strategy, and hold him accountable for his mistakes. It doesn't need the attacks, the guy is capable in screwing up all by himself."

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:39 pm

It's true. The Old Testament is full of avenging Jews attacking otherwise peaceful people in the name of God. And David!!! What a rascal he was, yet the entire nation of Israel is based upon his word. And don't get me started on"Revelation".

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Many need a "Holy Book" in order to justify their dastardly deeds.