Who was the guy who got carted off by the stewards?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Who was the guy who got carted off by the stewards?

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:58 am

Can't remember which half it was, but a few stewards went into the away end and removed a supporter from the area where the Burnley fans were stood up.

Just wondered if anyone knows who it was and why he was arrested?

Leisure
Been Liked: 3795 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Re: Who was the guy who got carted off by the stewards?

Post by Leisure » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:03 am

Someone said that it was for persistant standing (and probably for argueing with the stewards who were trying to get people to sit down!).

Hantsclaret
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Hantsclaret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:12 am

I was sat right in front of him and, sorry to say, it was his attitude that got him targeted for ejection by the stewards as much as his standing... Given a large number of fans were standing in the Arsenal section next to us (as well as in the Burnley section) he could have made a decent argument about why he wouldn't sit down but......
This user liked this post: cricketfield73

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:49 pm

A few brain donors refused to sit down and spent most of the game arguing with the stewards rather than watching the game. One young lad got booted out, but at least he stood by his principles. He ain't sittin' down for no one.

Squiff
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Squiff » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:03 pm

I nearly got kicked out for standing last time we played there. I wouldn't of minded but there were several rows in front of me stood up, so I couldn't see a thing! I was told 3 times to sit down after getting back to my feet to see and the final time I was told if they had to tell me again i would be ejected!

I never saw them say anything to those still standing in front of me, I must have looked an easy target or something!

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3341 times
Has Liked: 1963 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:08 pm

I don't mind standing up or sitting down at away games as long as I can see but what really pisses me off is people behind me telling me to sit down when the people in the rows in front of me are stood up.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:37 pm

Squiff wrote:I nearly got kicked out for standing last time we played there. I wouldn't of minded but there were several rows in front of me stood up, so I couldn't see a thing! I was told 3 times to sit down after getting back to my feet to see and the final time I was told if they had to tell me again i would be ejected!

I never saw them say anything to those still standing in front of me, I must have looked an easy target or something!
This is the problem I've often seen.
The stewards tell the people at the back/middle to sit down first instead of starting at the front and working back.
I didn't think it would be that difficult for them to realise that people won't sit down behind people that are still standing
These 2 users liked this post: Croydon Claret Whitgord

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:16 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:This is the problem I've often seen.
The stewards tell the people at the back/middle to sit down first instead of starting at the front and working back.
I didn't think it would be that difficult for them to realise that people won't sit down behind people that are still standing
That's an ok suggestion, but then a "stand up if you hate B4stards" gets an airing.

cutsy123
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by cutsy123 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Get into em

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:35 pm

I enjoyed the game on Sunday - of course, I wish we'd have got a point (I'm not greedy).

A big part of the enjoyment was standing throughout the 90+8 minutes. Where we were - near the small partition from the Arsenal fans - no one asked any of us to sit down.

Emirates is a very easy ground to stand in safely - wide seating aisles.

UTC

EdgeEnder85
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by EdgeEnder85 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:26 am

I was ejected for standing .... my ground making a point (no bad language or aggressive attitude as earlier post suggested) that large proportions of Arsenal fans were constantly on their feet 10 yards to our right so it was impossible to see the full pitch. As being ejecited not arrested I was then kicked and constantly baited by 5 stewards trying to get a reaction underneath the stadium. Didn't give them the pleasure obviously, but totally ovDr the top reaction by their Stewards.
This user liked this post: turbo5

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Did you have your son with you ?
Did he also have to leave the ground as he was unaccompanied.
Cant you ask for a copy of the video they were taking to show you were baited and kicked.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Did you have your son with you ?
Did he also have to leave the ground as he was unaccompanied.
Cant you ask for a copy of the video they were taking to show you were baited and kicked.

turbo5
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by turbo5 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:28 pm

I was stood about 6 seats away from you, I thought the stewards were very heavy handed for such a minor issue as standing. Nobody was complaining, all the burnley fans in that area were standing. After they evicted you they came back for your son (I think it was ) They then started arguing with the ladies who were standing behind you and they refused to sit down as did the rest of the Burnley fans in that area. For some reason they appeared to have singled you out nobody else was evicted only Wenger :)

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:15 pm

At the end of the day, if the stewards ask you to sit down the lawful and sensible thing to do would just be to sit down.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3431 times

Post by turfytopper » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:18 pm

I spoke to the main steward who was very approachable. I asked why it was that someone was singled out, when so many were standing... He made it clear that it was for abusive behaviour.

I couldn't understand why they couldn't simply sit down when approached and stand up (if they really need to) when they left.

To be honest it is one of the most frustrating things about away games... I'm very happy to off my backside when the excitement level goes up... But i can't stand through an entire game.

EdgeEnder85
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by EdgeEnder85 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Let's hope me and my son are not sat in the vicinity of turfytopper at Watford.
Main Emirates Steward at Arsenal was actually outside the ground and has travelled home and away with England and has contributed to a complaint I've emailed to AFC and to FSF.
Are the days of our fans supporting our team vocally and passionately disappearing and more worryingly to me a Burnley fan taking a stewards word as gospel as to a loyal Claret who has travelled Home and Away for 40 years without any previous problems.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:07 pm

There are not many points of principle it is worth getting into trouble for, however, if people are stood in front of me and I can't see that is one of them.
If someone firmly, but not agressively makes that point and is ejected it is a sad day.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:16 pm

What was your complaint that you emailed about ?

maccclaret
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by maccclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Why was the steward filming on the mobile wearing gauntlets fit for Kes?

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3431 times

Post by turfytopper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:29 pm

EdgeEnder85 wrote:Let's hope me and my son are not sat in the vicinity of turfytopper at Watford. ........
.......... worryingly to me a Burnley fan taking a stewards word as gospel as to a loyal Claret who has travelled Home and Away for 40 years without any previous problems.
Where did I say I "took a stewards word as gospel"? I questioned him as to why his team ejected one person, when lots of people (including Arsenal fans) were standing. I simply reported what he said...others were querying why just one person was shown the door.

The sooner standing areas are restored to football grounds the better...