Snodgrass

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6463 times

Re: Snodgrass

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:42 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Oh absolutely, but I think we're trying to be too cute in the market, but that's our lack of nous in the PL market. That will change we're in this league, we will adapt.
just done a little edit for you mate ;)

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:44 am

We were the 1st club to have a bid accepted, how does that make us trying to be too cute ?

West Ham bid 6m for him initially isn't that trying to be too cute ?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:45 am

CrispyClaret wrote:Why on earth have West Ham, got more transfer window experience than us? Were transfers only available to a select number of clubs in previous years?
Because they have dealt with a lot more transfers than Burnley.

And a hell of a lot more big transfers

Do you think that our commercial set up at Burnley is anywhere near the size of a club like West Ham's ?

Simple really - no criticism of Burnley. Just a fact that there are many clubs in this league who have more experience of getting big deals over the line in the transfer window than us.

ayrshireclaret83
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ayrshireclaret83 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:45 am

claretdom wrote:We were the 1st club to have a bid accepted, how does that make us trying to be too cute ?

West Ham bid 6m for him initially isn't that trying to be too cute ?

West Ham bid £3m initially

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:47 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:In the PL, West Ham are leaps and bounds better than us at transfers. I think that's what was meant by that statement.

In what way?

You mean they pay way over the odds in fees and wages perhaps?

Clarettintedlense
Been Liked: 52 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Clarettintedlense » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:47 am

Mala591 wrote:Ok. We should say to Hull that we are prepared to 'seriously reconsider' increasing our bid if someone offers them more.

We might also be able to tempt Snoddy with a generous signing on fee and nice big detached house in Skipton.

Much better than living/working in an increasingly chaotic and overpopulated capital city.
Depends. Different people want and like different things. People go on about London being so horrific. But theres a reason its so popular. Theres everything a millionaire would want there and more. The fact its so populated and busy will appeal to most footballers. Partly because theres so much to do but more importantly its easier to have a more normal lifestyle there for him.

Someone like Snodgrass could walk round London fairly unhindered. Imagine him having to walk round a small town like skipton. He would be hassled everywhere.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 am

I just meant that it seems, at least from an outside perspective, a lot of teams in this league will look at a player, bid, accept, medical, sign. We seem to take a lot longer, and whether that's just something I've recently noticed or not, I don't know. It's probably an internal thing, and rightly so, to keep everything under the radar.

I don't purport us to go out and spunk more money than necessary, but sometimes it's better to just be confident with our finances and flex the muscles we do actually have.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:51 am

TVC15 wrote:Because they have dealt with a lot more transfers than Burnley.

Do you think that our commercial set up at Burnley is anywhere near the size of a club like West Ham's ?

Simple really - no criticism of Burnley. Just a fact that there are many clubs in this league who have more experience of getting big deals over the line in the transfer window than us.
Being involved in bigger deals shouldn't have any bearing on whether they are better at it than us. And why would they have dealt with a lot more transfers than us? They may pay more, but do they have a higher turnover of players than us?

We operate in a completely different market - just like an estate agent who deals with mansions compared to one who mainly sells terraced house.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 am

I think we should offer £15m quid to seal the deal, get him over for a medical on deadline day and, one minute before the window slams firmly shut, turn him down on a dodgy medical examination. That will teach the b@stards.
Last edited by Funkydrummer on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:53 am

Spijed wrote:Being involved in bigger deals shouldn't have any bearing on whether they are better at it than us. And why would they have dealt with a lot more transfers than us? They may pay more, but do they have a higher turnover of players than us?

We operate in a completely different market - just like an estate agent who deals with mansions compared to one who mainly sells terraced house.
We're going for the same player. Not sure how that constitutes operating in "a completely different market".

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:54 am

It's all looking gloriously disappointing, both the Snodgrass and Brady
deals or non deals, as they are looking increasingly to be.
We just don't seem to be able to compete or get our targets on board.

We've restricted ourselves to players in the UK and in essence to players who
have interested a number of clubs so I suppose we have to accept that in those circumstances
we aren't likely to be successful.
Most other clubs will either outbid us and/or pay more in wages.
Or are more attractive to the players concerned.

I hope I'm wrong and that we do end up with one of the two mentioned.
However I wouldn't be willing to put any money on it.
Yes, we've tried to get those in that presumably Dyche has identified but
we never are likely to be too successful under the circumstances.

We do really need to up the anti in the transfer market and spread
our wings further afield if we are to stand any chance of competing.

LawsCanalJump
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by LawsCanalJump » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:56 am

Has he signed yet?

CrispyClaret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by CrispyClaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:58 am

TVC15 wrote:Because they have dealt with a lot more transfers than Burnley.

I never suggested anything about comparative club sizes and obviously you are only talking about our experience in Premier League transfer issues. Unless I am mistaken Burnley were founded in 1882 and have bought and sold at least a couple of players since then.
West Ham have used their superior experience wisely, in recent years that has brought the well above board signings of Mascherano and Tevez. A fine example to how a football should conduct business.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:We're going for the same player. Not sure how that constitutes operating in "a completely different market".
We do on wages though.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:02 pm

As usual it's going to run right up to the window slamming shut and the forum doing a collective....

These 10 users liked this post: WestMidsClaret Funkydrummer Mala591 Braindead BertiesBeehole minnieclaret Marlonspants claretinkorea Leisure Darthlaw

CrispyClaret

Post by CrispyClaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:05 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:I just meant that it seems, at least from an outside perspective, a lot of teams in this league will look at a player, bid, accept, medical, sign. We seem to take a lot longer, and whether that's just something I've recently noticed or not, I don't know. It's probably an internal thing, and rightly so, to keep everything under the radar.

I don't purport us to go out and spunk more money than necessary, but sometimes it's better to just be confident with our finances and flex the muscles we do actually have.
It is the internets fault. Happy were the days when it was a welcome surprise that a player had been signed, I remember my disbelief during a coffee break being told about Ian Wright.
Now we here or make up rumours months in advance and all without any clue whatsoever about how clubs do business.
For all our, Burnley should do this and that or look at some players in Outer Mongolia, we are non the wiser whats going on.
Unless we get a few years in the top flight and some idiot daft enough to invest untold hundreds of millions, we will always be nibbling around the edges of "decent" transfer bargains.
This user liked this post: Leisure

CrispyClaret

Post by CrispyClaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:As usual it's going to run right up to the window slamming shut and the forum doing a collective....

Probably the truest thing said today, holds true whatever happens. We could spend £60 million on a player and be taken to task for not spending £65 million.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 pm

I am talking about the last few years - not in our history.

West Ham have more experience in dealing with big transfers (say £3m plus) than Burnley - that is just a fact.

It does not mean they haven't made a lot of mistakes - of course they have.

But making mistakes is part of their model - as it is with a number of clubs. They would never admit it but they do follow a strategy based on volumes - if they buy enough players some of them will turn out good. Redknapp, Fat Sam and many others have done it for years.

It's not a model Burnley could afford but the impact on us is that it makes getting our deals over the line even harder. We have all read the ridiculous wages the likes of West Ham are supposed to be paying for players like Zaza who are awful....so it's no surprise if they are not throwing £50k to £60k a week at someone like Snodgrass and blowing us out of the water.

It's not a case of paying over the odds - that's all subjective - when they buy the player they are setting the odds and they don't think they are paying too much (or else they would not do it)

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Spijed wrote:We do on wages though.
So we're trying to operate in the same market with a lot less money.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:21 pm

I know that Steven Defour has had a bit of a 'mixed experience' at Burnley so far but could he not recommend some good Belgian players. He must know the Belgian premier league inside out. Their players might offer much better value for money.

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Be interesting to hear press conference shortly. Rightly so Dyche likes to keep his cards close but as other sources have leaked transfer info looking forward to what he'll say on it.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Given we've had a bid accepted I hope he'll have the decency to at least talk to us to see what we have on offer (assuming he hasn't already).

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Mala591 wrote:I know that Steven Defour has had a bit of a 'mixed experience' at Burnley so far but could he not recommend some good Belgian players. He must know the Belgian premier league inside out. Their players might offer much better value for money.
Would you really ask a, apparently, fringe player to recommend someone to come in and push him further down the line?

ablueclaret
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Not sure Belgian players fit our style, SD probably has it right when he goes for UK players because his methods work best with a certain type of player.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:29 pm

ablueclaret wrote:Not sure Belgian players fit our style, SD probably has it right when he goes for UK players because his methods work best with a certain type of player.
What are his methods?

1HappyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by 1HappyClaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:30 pm

I don't know how people are so sure that Snodgrass and/or Brady won't sign for us. Snodgrass has a choice it seems but West Ham can't stump up the money for Scott Hogan yet so having an offer accepted and paying over the cash are two completely different things. There is no talk yet of even going for medical at West Ham or Burnley. As for Brady again no news of any bids being accepted but reports do suggest that Crystal Palace and we are close. Why would he go to Palace over Burnley. Ok bring in London and higher wages but if he came to Burnley it would guarantee first team football, a very good chance we will be in the Cadbury's Premier League next season and more importantly he would be with Jeff Hendrick who he has known from a very young age.

Not saying one or both will sign for us but you have to look at others factors not just how much money they will take home every week.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:58 pm

1HappyClaret wrote:I don't know how people are so sure that Snodgrass and/or Brady won't sign for us. Snodgrass has a choice it seems but West Ham can't stump up the money for Scott Hogan yet so having an offer accepted and paying over the cash are two completely different things. There is no talk yet of even going for medical at West Ham or Burnley. As for Brady again no news of any bids being accepted but reports do suggest that Crystal Palace and we are close. Why would he go to Palace over Burnley. Ok bring in London and higher wages but if he came to Burnley it would guarantee first team football, a very good chance we will be in the Cadbury's Premier League next season and more importantly he would be with Jeff Hendrick who he has known from a very young age.

Not saying one or both will sign for us but you have to look at others factors not just how much money they will take home every week.
'' you have to look at others factors not just how much money they will take home every week.''

It's impossible to consider other factors when most players simply follow the money.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:00 pm

1HappyClaret wrote:I don't know how people are so sure that Snodgrass and/or Brady won't sign for us. Snodgrass has a choice it seems but West Ham can't stump up the money for Scott Hogan yet so having an offer accepted and paying over the cash are two completely different things. There is no talk yet of even going for medical at West Ham or Burnley. As for Brady again no news of any bids being accepted but reports do suggest that Crystal Palace and we are close. Why would he go to Palace over Burnley. Ok bring in London and higher wages but if he came to Burnley it would guarantee first team football, a very good chance we will be in the Cadbury's Premier League next season and more importantly he would be with Jeff Hendrick who he has known from a very young age.

I love the sentiment in your last sentence, however, I think that money IS the major factor, perhaps not always for the player, however, almost certainly for the agent in every transaction.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Mala591 wrote:I know that Steven Defour has had a bit of a 'mixed experience' at Burnley so far but could he not recommend some good Belgian players. He must know the Belgian premier league inside out. Their players might offer much better value for money.
So let's say in your job you are having a "mixed experience," your thought is to go to your buddies and suggest to them "hey come join me at Burnley and have a mixed experience like me!"
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

MarkGreen
Been Liked: 479 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by MarkGreen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Sounds like you are suggesting Defour should do the recruitment teams job for them? I'd rather he sticks to his football on the pitch

CrispyClaret

Post by CrispyClaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Sadly football is full of money grasping chancers who would rather be on the books of a well paying club while stuck in the reserves or occasionally making the bench.
The solution, which of course will never happen, pay all in each division the same basic wage, with only the inflated sums paid to those actually in the first team. Then see whether they turn up for training or put in a decent performance every week.
As an alternative limit the number of players a club can have out on loan. At times they bought them just to take them from the grasp of rival clubs. Tough luck if you have a squad of 60, you bought them, you pay them to sit at home watching tv.
Last edited by CrispyClaret on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Maybe only Sean Dyche understands why Defour hasn't been in every starting line up since signing.

He would always be sixth on the team sheet for me (after goalkeeper and defence).

But he does seem to be adapting to the tempo of the premier league and I suspect he is much more settled/happier than a few weeks ago.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:37 pm

Boro had a bid rejected according to Talk Sport. No further details

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Some real drama queenery on here. Snodgrass most likely wants a final pay day. W Ham are more likely to pay higher wages. That is the main priority for most footballers.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:06 pm

He could also end up without a club if W Ham or other don't stump up the fee to Hull but he holds out for the highest wage.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Dear mr Snodgrass.
Please can you hurry up and come over to East Lancashire.
Run round a bit.
Sign a bit of paper
And then we can all go back to our normal routines

Thank you

DP

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:16 pm

KRBFC wrote:What are his methods?
Waterboarding
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Just said on Talksport (I know its Talksport !) that Boro have had their latest bid rejected and he is in talks with Burnley and West Ham.

The only bit if that I believe is the Boro bit !

Boro definitely want him though as it played a clip from Karanka`s press conference today where he said they are talking to Hull and Snodgrass is a player he likes / wants.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Dyche has admitted we haven't spoke to snodgrass and doesn't even know if he wants to come, which by all accounts is true as he wants to go to west ham, so why bother bidding for a player that

A Doesn't want to come and
B We can't afford.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:17 pm

jurek wrote:It's all looking gloriously disappointing, both the Snodgrass and Brady
deals or non deals, as they are looking increasingly to be.
We just don't seem to be able to compete or get our targets on board.

We've restricted ourselves to players in the UK and in essence to players who
have interested a number of clubs so I suppose we have to accept that in those circumstances
we aren't likely to be successful.
Most other clubs will either outbid us and/or pay more in wages.
Or are more attractive to the players concerned.

I hope I'm wrong and that we do end up with one of the two mentioned.
However I wouldn't be willing to put any money on it.
Yes, we've tried to get those in that presumably Dyche has identified but
we never are likely to be too successful under the circumstances.

We do really need to up the anti in the transfer market and spread
our wings further afield if we are to stand any chance of competing.
The problem is that what you're suggesting, in effect, is that if we can't get the players we do want we should sign some that we don't want. And sometimes a player that you don't want is better than no player at all, and sometimes it isn't.

Dyche is very fussy about what sort of player he lets into his squad. And we have possibly the most close-knit squad in the country. That's not coincidence.
This user liked this post: Duffer_

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:47 pm

claretandy wrote:Dyche has admitted we haven't spoke to snodgrass and doesn't even know if he wants to come, which by all accounts is true as he wants to go to west ham, so why bother bidding for a player that

A Doesn't want to come and
B We can't afford.
We will only know if a player wants to come once we've had a bid accepted by his club. We can afford the transfer fee but don't know if we can afford his wages until we can negotiate...once we've had a bid accepted by his club.

Our conduct re. Snodgrass is not something to be hitting the club over the head with. Some good points made on other posts/threads about this desperation to get new faces in, any new faces, with no thought for the impact on team spirit. Good ambition from the club, now the search goes on for who else can improve us without compromising what we have.

P.S. - odds shortened on Brady to us on SkyBet (now 1/8)

UTC!

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:07 pm

To say that Snodgrass to West Ham is as nailed on as it seems you can still get 4/11 at skybet.

Massive odds for a dead cert!!

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Snodgrass, Brady, Ronaldhino, it doesn't matter who they are... if they don't want to play for us, **** 'em !

I certainly won't be losing any sleep over a former Leeds player who openly admitted to cheating ! Onwards and upwards... there's bigger fish to fry than Snodgrass
This user liked this post: KRBFC

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Bit naive to suggest we put bids in for players with no idea what personal terms they want. I'm sure plenty of chat has gone on between us and agents over the past few months.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Duffer_ wrote:We will only know if a player wants to come once we've had a bid accepted by his club. We can afford the transfer fee but don't know if we can afford his wages until we can negotiate...once we've had a bid accepted by his club.

Our conduct re. Snodgrass is not something to be hitting the club over the head with. Some good points made on other posts/threads about this desperation to get new faces in, any new faces, with no thought for the impact on team spirit. Good ambition from the club, now the search goes on for who else can improve us without compromising what we have.

P.S. - odds shortened on Brady to us on SkyBet (now 1/8)

UTC!

Don't be so naive, we would know whether a player wanted to come and what kind of package they wanted before putting a bid in, its all done through agents.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Too old. Move on.

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:20 pm

Dean Windass on talk shyte his afternoon " no disrespect to Burnley, but Snodgrass won't be signing for them " said with an air of because they are nobodies and it would be a backward step for him.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Did Windass really manage to say all those words in one go?!
This user liked this post: RalphCoatesComb

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:30 pm

claretandy wrote:Don't be so naive, we would know whether a player wanted to come and what kind of package they wanted before putting a bid in, its all done through agents.
Hang on a second pal, wasn't it you that was slagging off Dyche for saying he didn't know if Snodgrass wanted to come? That's quite an about turn.

UTC!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11055 times
Has Liked: 5662 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:31 pm

well he's not fibbing though is he, West Ham or Burnley........