Trump's Ban

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Trump's Ban

Post by Sidney1st » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:57 pm

If the current terrorist threat is coming predominantly from Muslims, doesn't it make sense to put stricter rules in place for Muslims and mainly Muslim countries?

You can try and change it to whatever angle you like, but it's actually a sensible idea, even if his method of enforcing it is crap.

When I was visiting Minneapolis in 2009, every man who clearly of middle eastern descent was stopped and searched thoroughly, but it wasn't headline news I don't think at the time.
It was the Xmas period and I noticed it when I entered the country.
There was another attempt to blow up a plane heading for Detroit just around New year too by someone who'd flown into Amsterdam then on to the US.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:13 am

Damo wrote:"It takes a special kind of gullible to believe everything Donald Trump tells you"
Really? I'd say he is following up with pretty much everything he promised pre-election.
Your response to everything he says that doesn't follow your agenda of 'I don't believe him' doesn't really work either.
If this is about banning Muslims from the country, why are there just the 7 nationalities listed and why is he saying it's only for 3 months?
Saying I like Trump more than I like liberals means absolutely nothing.
I like Owen Coyle more than I like the cry arse left at the minute

Why does everything you disagree with have to be about an "agenda" that the other guy personally has? Is it really beyond the realms of possibility that someone hold a position you disagree with based purely on rational thought and not partisanship?

Imagine how closed-minded someone has to be to believe that anyone who disagrees with them does so because they are pushing an agenda, as if that's the only possible reason someone could ever have for not agreeing with your point of view.

"If this is about banning Muslims from the country, why are there just the 7 nationalities listed and why is he saying it's only for 3 months?"

Remember that you asked this question, because i am fairly confident, based on everything i've heard him say and everything i've seen him do, that it won't only be these 7 countries, and it won't only be for 3 months. If he gets away with it for 3 months he has no reason to then lift the ban after 90 days. The outcry over him extending it, or expanding it, will never be as much as the outcry over him implementing it in the first place.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:41 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Why does everything you disagree with have to be about an "agenda" that the other guy personally has? Is it really beyond the realms of possibility that someone hold a position you disagree with based purely on rational thought and not partisanship?

Imagine how closed-minded someone has to be to believe that anyone who disagrees with them does so because they are pushing an agenda, as if that's the only possible reason someone could ever have for not agreeing with your point of view.

"If this is about banning Muslims from the country, why are there just the 7 nationalities listed and why is he saying it's only for 3 months?"

Remember that you asked this question, because i am fairly confident, based on everything i've heard him say and everything i've seen him do, that it won't only be these 7 countries, and it won't only be for 3 months. If he gets away with it for 3 months he has no reason to then lift the ban after 90 days. The outcry over him extending it, or expanding it, will never be as much as the outcry over him implementing it in the first place.
The agenda thing comes from the hysterical reaction to everything he says from certain people.
People absolutely foaming at the mouth about things that the previous president, and his opponent in the election voted in favour of that he is trying to implement.
The bizarre comparisons with Hitler etc.
And when he explains certain things rationally, the liberal reaction is 'we don't believe you'

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:05 am

Damo wrote:The agenda thing comes from the hysterical reaction to everything he says from certain people.
People absolutely foaming at the mouth about things that the previous president, and his opponent in the election voted in favour of that he is trying to implement.
The bizarre comparisons with Hitler etc.
And when he explains certain things rationally, the liberal reaction is 'we don't believe you'

There are certainly hysterics but that is hardly unique to the left. You should have seen how the right-wing in America reacted when the FBI said that the biggest national security threat to the US came from far-right extremism. They were apoplectic.

The comparison's with Hitler aren't bizarre, but again, even if they were they're hardly less bizarre than, say, calling Obama the founder of ISIS. Or when some GOPers called him literally the anti-christ. So even if the comparisons were bizarre, which i don't think they are, they're again not unique to the left.

And "we don't believe you" isn't unreasonable when he lies as much as he does. We can literally have video of him saying something and he'll deny he ever said it. We're not talking about a politician who lies or spins, it would certainly be unreasonable to have the default position of "we don't believe you" for Theresa May, or David Cameron etc, but when someone lies as frequently and as compulsively as Trump? I don't think you adequately understand just how dishonest this man is. If you think Hillary Clinton was a liar, or Obama was a liar, i dare you to compare their Politifact history to Trump's Politifact history and his extraordinary amount lies.

I will also like to add that you're complaining that when Trump tries to explain things rationally our reaction is to not believe him, yet when people like me explain my opposition to your point of view your reaction is to dismiss it as merely pushing an agenda. So again, even if i thought your complaint was justified about how my ilk distrust everything he says to such an extent that we don't believe him, it would hardly be unique to people like me. You do it to with much less justification.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:14 am

protests galore tonight. Be even better if the yanks took a leaf out of the French book of protesting and actually started blocking things..........but then again they'd probably be shot

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:24 am

Trump is literally hitler, all my friends on Facebook tell me so. Usually the same people that spend 90% of their time sharing buzzfeed lists, kardashian tweets and talking about "the sesh".

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:13 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:Trump is literally hitler, all my friends on Facebook tell me so.
Well, before the election it was more conceptual that he was a Hitler-esque dictator in the making. Most of us, including myself, thought (and think) that America's checks and balances can prevent him from ever achieving the kind of effect on America that Hitler had on Germany. But we're starting to see the beginnings of a truely terrible dictator-in-waiting in the months since his election and after the first week of his presidency.

The warning signs for people like me that this guy isn't your ordinary nutcase politician, the kinds of things that would lead me to believe that this guy is a fascist in the mould of some of history's worst, yet probably more successful tyrants was the types of people and actions he chose to praise. The way he seems to admire Kim Jong-un for killing his opponents. Doesn't seem to mind that Putin kills journalists and political opponents almost to the point of defending. He even praised China's handing of the Tianamen Square protests.

There are others, including Saddam, Gaddafi and Erdogan but i'm sure you get the point. This all begins to paint a worrying picture, but it's nothing concrete, it's all just words, right? Well...

Now that he was elected his words become policy and policy become actionable. To lets begine with the small things, which aren't really small, like him calling his critics his "enemies". And he's even making and keeping lists of his "enemies", people who didn't support him during the campaign. He's ominously made requests for the names of people at the Energy Department who have worked on climate change, the names of people at the State Department working on gender equality, and the names of people at State Department who are working on extremism. He's warned that the media will "pay a big price" for accurately reporting that his crowd size wasn't as big as Obama's, this is the same media that he considers "the opposition party". He's threatened martial law in American cities. He's attempted to stop government departments from communicating with the public, departments such as the Interior Department, the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Parks Service. He's tried to silence government scientests.

If even now you can't understand why some people are comparing him to people like Hitler it's probably because you think we're comparing him to Hitler at his peak evil. You probably think we're comparing the holocaust to closing twitter accouts and that's kind of too stupid to really be true. What we're comparing is Hitlers potential in his early days to Trump's potential in his.

Maybe so far it's all just a series of unfortunate coincidences that he's smelling and tasting a lot like a fascist. Maybe he's just misunderstood. Or maybe he's not. Maybe he really is bullying corporations in much that same way Hitler did. Maybe he really is making a list of crimes commited by immigrants just like Hitler did for crimes commited by Jews.

So when i see people like you mocking others for comparing him to Hitler, or read Damo calling it "bizarre" that anyone would possibly think to compare him to Hitler, it tells me you're not really paying attention to what is actually happening, and are being blinded by your desire to mock anyone who could possibly be so hysterical as to compare a modern, democratically elected president to the worst human of the last century because you're too busy mocking the idiot waving his arms at you maniacally to notice that you're standing on train tracks and that he's not an idiot.

ClaretMoffitt

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:14 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Well, before the election it was more conceptual that he was a Hitler-esque dictator in the making. Most of us, including myself, thought (and think) that America's checks and balances can prevent him from ever achieving the kind of effect on America that Hitler had on Germany. But we're starting to see the beginnings of a truely terrible dictator-in-waiting in the months since his election and after the first week of his presidency.

The warning signs for people like me that this guy isn't your ordinary nutcase politician, the kinds of things that would lead me to believe that this guy is a fascist in the mould of some of history's worst, yet probably more successful tyrants was the types of people and actions he chose to praise. The way he seems to admire Kim Jong-un for killing his opponents. Doesn't seem to mind that Putin kills journalists and political opponents almost to the point of defending. He even praised China's handing of the Tianamen Square protests.

There are others, including Saddam, Gaddafi and Erdogan but i'm sure you get the point. This all begins to paint a worrying picture, but it's nothing concrete, it's all just words, right? Well...

Now that he was elected his words become policy and policy become actionable. To lets begine with the small things, which aren't really small, like him calling his critics his "enemies". And he's even making and keeping lists of his "enemies", people who didn't support him during the campaign. He's ominously made requests for the names of people at the Energy Department who have worked on climate change, the names of people at the State Department working on gender equality, and the names of people at State Department who are working on extremism. He's warned that the media will "pay a big price" for accurately reporting that his crowd size wasn't as big as Obama's, this is the same media that he considers "the opposition party". He's threatened martial law in American cities. He's attempted to stop government departments from communicating with the public, departments such as the Interior Department, the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Parks Service. He's tried to silence government scientests.

If even now you can't understand why some people are comparing him to people like Hitler it's probably because you think we're comparing him to Hitler at his peak evil. You probably think we're comparing the holocaust to closing twitter accouts and that's kind of too stupid to really be true. What we're comparing is Hitlers potential in his early days to Trump's potential in his.

Maybe so far it's all just a series of unfortunate coincidences that he's smelling and tasting a lot like a fascist. Maybe he's just misunderstood. Or maybe he's not. Maybe he really is bullying corporations in much that same way Hitler did. Maybe he really is making a list of crimes commited by immigrants just like Hitler did for crimes commited by Jews.

So when i see people like you mocking others for comparing him to Hitler, or read Damo calling it "bizarre" that anyone would possibly think to compare him to Hitler, it tells me you're not really paying attention to what is actually happening, and are being blinded by your desire to mock anyone who could possibly be so hysterical as to compare a modern, democratically elected president to the worst human of the last century because you're too busy mocking the idiot waving his arms at you maniacally to notice that you're standing on train tracks and that he's not an idiot.

Jesus christ turtle it was 5am ffs.

ClaretMoffitt

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:18 am

Seriously, do you sleep at all?

Is this what Brexit and Trump have done to you?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3338 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:52 am

Top responses.
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:56 am

Quiet morning, so I thought I would have an intellectual read of what El President Don has done. However I am really none the wiser so I thought I would see what Pie had to say instead and found this far more funny.

Parental warning of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kez99EdLtOA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:14 am

Is it true that the secretary for defence and homeland security only heard about the ban when he saw it on TV?

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:57 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:Trump is literally hitler, all my friends on Facebook tell me so. Usually the same people that spend 90% of their time sharing buzzfeed lists, kardashian tweets and talking about "the sesh".
Isn't that more a reflection of you and your friends?

lakesclaret
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by lakesclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:14 am

I'd hazard that most European countries would LOVE to implement a 3month temp ban on the countries Trump has . Give immigration authorities a chance to clear some backlog and get their houses in order and ensure a smoother future process.

Though try telling that the millions of dippy students and virgins who prefer to just act hysterically

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:16 am

Look Lakes, you need to learn how to fish from the likes of CM (right) or IT (left)

All you've got there is a mess of ranting with nothing to suggest its a genuine opinion.

2/10 Must try harder

lakesclaret

Post by lakesclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:24 am

No ranting at all LC ,and certainly no fishing .Id just imagine that many massively overstretched border forces would welcome a temp ban in some areas to enable some breathing space ,enabling the truly deserving to be prioritised .

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 am

Refugees?

The ones who are pouring into Europe tend to be from countries which are suffering from military conflict, and are being stopped at various border areas.

Christ, its the whole idea that these desperate people might take some dole money from a lazy, white, Christian whose sat on his arse playing on his X-box that got us in a position where we have to take whatever crumbs America gives us.*

*Now thats how you fish!

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:54 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Well, before the election it was more conceptual that he was a Hitler-esque dictator in the making. Most of us, including myself, thought (and think) that America's checks and balances can prevent him from ever achieving the kind of effect on America that Hitler had on Germany. But we're starting to see the beginnings of a truely terrible dictator-in-waiting in the months since his election and after the first week of his presidency.

That's the thing though Charlie. He isn't your average nutcase politician because he isn't really a politician. He doesn't hide his real intentions like most politicians do. He says what he thinks even if it is really, really stupid.
You mention Saddam and Gaddafi, ousting them was a real success wasn't it? That was another liberal, idealist master plan, that went horrifically wrong.
It's funny though how that illegal action absolutely doesn't matter to the left when levied against Trump saying he grabs women by the p***y.
Trump has distanced himself from from illegal, foreign invasions and Created relations with Russia (hillary threatened military action against them remember) yet you all kick up a fuss because he has made border controls a little more strict.
As for getting rid of his enemies, makes you wonder why he didn't follow up his threat to throw hillary in jail doesn't it?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:56 am

Because she's done nothing wrong?

"And he's made border control a little more strict"

**** me, that alright then, its just a little more strict, there was me thinking it was a total ban on seven countries.

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:03 am

"Because she's done nothing wrong"
Who is that in reply to?
A total ban on seven countries?
It's not that though is it? It might read like that if that's what you really, really want to believe. Did you imagine him goose stepping around the white house while you imagined him saying that?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:08 am

Clinton

She's not done anything that he can send her to jail for, and he knows it.

I do wish you read my posts on Hitler and Trump. Its really simple, and I've written it as simply as I can, but people still can't understand it.

It can't be that hard to comprehend can it?

Whats that?

You don't want to understand because it means all the stuff you've thrown at me looks ridiculous and you don't like that at all

Got you now!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:14 am

And yet he doesn't ban people from Saudi Arabia, I wonder why?

You are as likely to get tortured & beheaded there as you are in the seven countries on the list.

Jel
Been Liked: 266 times
Has Liked: 1178 times

Post by Jel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:22 am

Damo wrote:Try visiting a Muslim country if you are from/have visited Israel
If you ask at the point of entry when you visit Israel they will issue your Visa stamp on a separate piece of paper so it doesn't stay in your passport.

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:25 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Clinton

She's not done anything that he can send her to jail for, and he knows it.

I do wish you read my posts on Hitler and Trump. Its really simple, and I've written it as simply as I can, but people still can't understand it.

It can't be that hard to comprehend can it?

Whats that?

You don't want to understand because it means all the stuff you've thrown at me looks ridiculous and you don't like that at all

Got you now!
Because it's extremely trivial.
Hitler also carpet bombed foreign countries like Bill Clinton and both of the Bush regimes. He kept POW camps like Obama. You never likened them to one of the most despicable leaders to grace the planet, you just found the odd similarity to Trump's election because you really went out of your way to find it.
And if he is the despot you make him out to be, I'm fairly sure he wouldn't avoid throwing Hillary in jail because she hasn't done anything wrong

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 am

Spijed wrote:And yet he doesn't ban people from Saudi Arabia, I wonder why?

You are as likely to get tortured & beheaded there as you are in the seven countries on the list.
Or Pakistan, or multiple other Muslim states.
Your point makes it extremely difficult to argue that this is all because he hates Muslims

lakesclaret

Post by lakesclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Don't really see what this has to do with the UK at all? Trump temporarily beefs up border security and millions of bleeding hearts appear to be angry on someone else's behalf
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:13 pm

Extremely trivial?

Yup, that what it is. Trivial.

And what is with you right wingers? Can you not read?

I must have said on every thread its about the similarities between them on how they got democratically elected. And you still come out with carpet bombing or the SA.

Weird.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Damo wrote:Or Pakistan, or multiple other Muslim states.
Your point makes it extremely difficult to argue that this is all because he hates Muslims
So basically he is just protecting his business interests, not the USA from terrorists.

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Spijed wrote:So basically he is just protecting his business interests, not the USA from terrorists.
The 7 countries were listed by Obama is countries currently posing a threat via terrorism.
What business interests does Obama have in the rest of the middle east?
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:47 pm

So Trump is using a list that was created by the Obama administration?

:lol:
This user liked this post: Damo

Bacchus
Been Liked: 599 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Bacchus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:12 pm

lakesclaret wrote:Don't really see what this has to do with the UK at all? Trump temporarily beefs up border security and millions of bleeding hearts appear to be angry on someone else's behalf
Yep, this appears to be a standard response from the hard of thinking. There are any number of reasons why this affects us. Among them:
  • >Our PM has just been wandering around holding hands with Trump, telling anyone who will listen about our "Special Relationship" and shared values. Is this the kind of policy we want to be associated with?
    >Given that we apparently have a "Special Relationship" isn't it our duty to tell our best mate across the pond that he's being a pillock?
    >All horrific regimes through the years have been allowed to gain traction because people have found it politically / economically convenient to turn a blind eye. It's hard to imagine that history will look back kindly at the Trump (Bannon) era - do we really want to be the guys that could have made a stand but chose not to?
    >Aside from morality, this policy isn't making the world, or even America, safer. Quite the opposite - it's a recruitment bonanza for ISIS and similar groups. If we're seen to happily go along with it, do you think that makes us more or less of a target?
    >I'm pretty sure the real reason for this is provovation, not security. Otherwise, why would Trump waitfor the furore around this to peak before tweeting "Christians in the MIddle-East have been executed in large numbers. We cannot allow this horror to continue." This is all about incitement, stoking up the Christians vs Muslims narrative. Now just wait for ISIS to attack and bingo, there's the justification for bombing the **** out of the Middle East. Just a theory, of course, but it's hardly that far-fetched, is it?
If Brexit really has made us that desperate for a trade deal with America that we're prepared to ignore everything above and just allow Trump to go unchallenged then we're in even more of a mess than I'd realised. If that's not the case, then protesting about this in the strongest possible terms is absolutely in our interests from both a security perspective and in terms of how the rest of the world views us, (the new "Truly Global Britain", remember?)

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:15 pm

Sidney1st wrote:So Trump is using a list that was created by the Obama administration?

:lol:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn. ... tmobile-gb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:24 pm

It's not Trump's Muslim ban, it's Obama's.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vis ... c550540558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somebody should start a petition.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Cheers, I'm just going to roll this onto FB and see how many people spot it....
This user liked this post: Damo

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:28 pm

its irrelevant who drew up the list though.

the point is that a blanket ban is a bit different than making people apply for visas.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:29 pm

It isn't irrelevant though is it?

Obama's administration had a list of countries they were concerned about and put some restrictions in place, Trump used that list to create his blanket ban.

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:34 pm

how is it relevant?

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Obama's administration make a list of countries they're concerned about and impose some restrictions/extra measures etc.

Trump takes said list and makes the measures even stricter within days of taking over.

I'm sure it's relevant....

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:52 pm

it isn't relevant.

again, the point is the action taken, not who made the list. thats why there's been so much kicking off over it.

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Mind you, it has given rise to pearlers like this so it's not all bad.
Attachments
tmp_26288-Screenshot_20170130-135226223506234.png
tmp_26288-Screenshot_20170130-135226223506234.png (521.07 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
tmp_26288-Screenshot_20170130-135231-1307835325.png
tmp_26288-Screenshot_20170130-135231-1307835325.png (623.09 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:57 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:it isn't relevant.

again, the point is the action taken, not who made the list. thats why there's been so much kicking off over it.
So when Obama's administration had some extra security measures in place for people from those 7 countries it didn't matter?
Now Trump has made them stricter, it's suddenly an issue?

Yeah the tweets are funny :lol:

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Theres some bullshit from dishonest sources spreading about what Obama implemented for these seven countries, and unsurprisingly some on here aren't fact checking for themselves. Here's what Obama actually did, as reported by CNN, you know, one of these MSM sources that supposedly wouldn't mention how these countries came to be subject to Trump's ban.

"In December 2015, President Obama signed into law a measure placing limited restrictions on certain travelers who had visited Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria on or after March 1, 2011. Two months later, the Obama administration added Libya, Somalia, and Yemen to the list, in what it called an effort to address "the growing threat from foreign terrorist fighters."

The restrictions specifically limited what is known as visa-waiver travel by those who had visited one of the seven countries within the specified time period. People who previously could have entered the United States without a visa were instead required to apply for one if they had traveled to one of the seven countries.

Under the law, dual citizens of visa-waiver countries and Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria could no longer travel to the U.S. without a visa. Dual citizens of Libya, Somalia, and Yemen could, however, still use the visa-waiver program if they hadn't traveled to any of the seven countries after March 2011."

Someone please list the similarities between that and what Trump has done.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:13 pm

No, but what I will do is mention that thats what people voted for, and maybe end it by talking about left wing whingers unable to handle the truth, and maybe chuck snowflake in there as well.

That do?
This user liked this post: Bacchus

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:15 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:it isn't relevant.

Why is the action taken so controversial though?
Because it's Donald Trump.
Basically he has placed a 90 day restriction on people travelling from seven countries that are deemed high risk re terrorist activity.
After 90 days he says a new vetting system will be in place then normal service will resume.
Obama deported 2.5 million people in his term. 2.5 million people forcefully removed from the country and you didn't see one weirdy beardy dressed as a vagina protesting anywhere

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Theres some bullshit from dishonest sources spreading about what Obama implemented for these seven countries, and unsurprisingly some on here aren't fact checking for themselves. Here's what Obama actually did, as reported by CNN, you know, one of these MSM sources that supposedly wouldn't mention how these countries came to be subject to Trump's ban.

"In December 2015, President Obama signed into law a measure placing limited restrictions on certain travelers who had visited Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria on or after March 1, 2011. Two months later, the Obama administration added Libya, Somalia, and Yemen to the list, in what it called an effort to address "the growing threat from foreign terrorist fighters."

The restrictions specifically limited what is known as visa-waiver travel by those who had visited one of the seven countries within the specified time period. People who previously could have entered the United States without a visa were instead required to apply for one if they had traveled to one of the seven countries.

Under the law, dual citizens of visa-waiver countries and Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria could no longer travel to the U.S. without a visa. Dual citizens of Libya, Somalia, and Yemen could, however, still use the visa-waiver program if they hadn't traveled to any of the seven countries after March 2011."

Someone please list the similarities between that and what Trump has done.
Obama puts restrictions in place.
Trump puts restrictions in place, just harsher.

That's about all I've got, but I'm not jumping up and down waving my arms around getting upset about it like people seem to be.
Wasn't it part of his campaign that he'd do something like this?
He's kept his promise, just like he's trying to beef up the southern border of the US, with a new and improved wall.

I'll wait for you to bang on about what he's doing is wrong etc, but he's more then allowed to uphold his promise as president.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Obama puts restrictions in place.
Trump puts restrictions in place, just harsher.
Then you need to reread.

Obama didn't place any real additional restrictions on people from those countries since people from those countries didn't have visa free access to the US in the first place. What Obama did was make it so that if you or I visited those countries then we (as Brits) lost our visa-free access and so had to go through the same kind process as anyone else from those countries in order to enter the country.

That is nothing like what Trump has done. Any anyone who tries to portray them as simple an extention of already existing restrictions is either ignorant or lying.

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Damo wrote:Why is the action taken so controversial though?
Because it's Donald Trump.
no, its because its controversial.

it doesn't matter who is responsible.

you need to get over obama, he's not relevant anymore. trump is the president. only what he does matters.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Rightly or wrongly he's doing what he said he would do before he was voted in. Not being a bleeding hesrt type I think it is an issue that concerns the USA nobody else

biggles
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by biggles » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:55 pm

putting aside all the guess-work; the american president has taken steps to tighten his country's security from, statistically, it's biggest threat! what a git! and people who don't like him are upset. is that about it?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:58 pm

Statistically, the biggest threat to US life is white, US males with guns.

He's ignored that for some really strange reason.