Defour - Won't be here forever but nothing in China links

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Defour - Won't be here forever but nothing in China links

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:45 pm

Interesting comments and quite realistic, better than the usual tripe that some players churn out to appease the fans.

When he does go I hope it's with a 10 million profit and to a club playing in the CL.

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/foo ... -1-8359808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Re: Defour - Won't be here forever but nothing in China links

Post by Juan Tanamera » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:02 pm

Level headed lad who talks a lot of sense.
If the chance came for him to join a bigger club than us or off to China to increase his wage tenfold, who would begrudge him that just on the strength of that beautiful piece of artwork yesterday?
Selfishly, I hope he spends the rest of his career with us. ;)

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:03 pm

If we get another season or two from him, I'll be very pleased with that. Absolutely no issue with a player being honest about future aspirations, in fact I'd far prefer that to them just trotting out the usual nonsense just to appease the fans.

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:06 pm

Considering we only paid £8 million, we are sure to make a profit on him. Don't mind the comments by him. Better then spouting the usual tripe how they want to be here forever, like Fabian Delph.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:07 pm

The China thing has gone away for now because they've put restrictions in place for the number of foreign players haven't they?
If we could get another season out of him, after he's had a Dyche preseason I think we'd see even more of his quality, especially if we upgrade some of the players around him.

I like his honesty about the fact he won't be here forever.
I also think if he stayed another season and excelled we could get good money for him, because lesser players are going for more mine, although he's nearly 29, I hadn't realised.

If he's here a 2nd season and we've improved other areas I don't think we'd suffer the 2nd season syndrome either, plus he'd help attract other players.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:18 pm

Another version of it here:
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... e/?ref=mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read that as: "Burnley aren't paying me enough so as soon as I get a better offer, I'll be off"

Serious question, why do we have to accept we will always have a lower possession than the opposition team?

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:20 pm

Always?

lrac
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 283 times

Post by lrac » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:28 pm

Shame .I think he is a very good player

Saxoman
Been Liked: 575 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Saxoman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:40 pm

Steddyman wrote:Another version of it here:
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... e/?ref=mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read that as: "Burnley aren't paying me enough so as soon as I get a better offer, I'll be off"

Serious question, why do we have to accept we will always have a lower possession than the opposition team?
Because that's how a dyche team plays. Those dreaming of free flowing football with better players are seriously misguided. Has pulis or allardyces styles changed with millions spent on players? Not really. Neither will dyches.
This user liked this post: KRBFC

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:44 pm

But surely as the quality of the squad improves, would the plan still be to accept we won't have possession?

Saxoman

Post by Saxoman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:47 pm

Steddyman wrote:But surely as the quality of the squad improves, would the plan still be to accept we won't have possession?
That's dyche football.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:52 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bolton played some great football under Sam.....

Dyche said on TV once that he plays a system to suit his players, because they couldn't at the time play the free flowing football everyone wants.

Sam and Pulis are employed to keep clubs in the PL, often it's at the expense of the passing football every football fan seems to demand their teams play.

Saxo is trying to say that Dyche will be the same sort of manager, but if that's what it takes to keep us in the PL for an extended period of time then so be it.
As it stands several clubs who've tried to play better football are currently below us and have also lost to us at Turf Moor....
This user liked this post: Reecey1987

Saxoman

Post by Saxoman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:57 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bolton played some great football under Sam.....

Dyche said on TV once that he plays a system to suit his players, because they couldn't at the time play the free flowing football everyone wants.

Sam and Pulis are employed to keep clubs in the PL, often it's at the expense of the passing football every football fan seems to demand their teams play.

Saxo is trying to say that Dyche will be the same sort of manager, but if that's what it takes to keep us in the PL for an extended period of time then so be it.
As it stands several clubs who've tried to play better football are currently below us and have also lost to us at Turf Moor....
Correction, Bolton played better but still had the likes of lineker saying he'd rather watch teletext.. Hardly free flowing, still very much a direct defence based team, winning many games 1-0 via set pieces.

I'm not 'trying' to say anything, I'm stating it as fact.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:01 am

Arsenal used to be boring Arsenal who won games 1 nil during George Graham era, but it worked.

The football worked though and Bolton fans remember that era with Sam and the famous players fondly.

You'll whine about what Dyche is doing, because it's working and you'll probably try to make out his system is anti football or some other rubbish, but it's effective at home thankfully and will click away from home at some point.

We've upgraded our two main midfielders in the summer, replacing Barton and Jones for Defour and Hendricks.
Add a couple of quality wingers and things will improve again.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

Saxoman

Post by Saxoman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:07 am

Sidney1st wrote:Arsenal used to be boring Arsenal who won games 1 nil during George Graham era, but it worked.

The football worked though and Bolton fans remember that era with Sam and the famous players fondly.

You'll whine about what Dyche is doing, because it's working and you'll probably try to make out his system is anti football or some other rubbish, but it's effective at home thankfully and will click away from home at some point.

We've upgraded our two main midfielders in the summer, replacing Barton and Jones for Defour and Hendricks.
Add a couple of quality wingers and things will improve again.
I'm not whining about how you play, I'm whining about how many of your fans seem to 'enjoy' your success through gritted teeth, longing for better players that'll miraculously turn dyche into the new arsene Wenger(football wise).. Ain't gonna happen.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:16 am

ask Bolton or Blackburn fans if they'd take the boring football under Allerdouche now ?!

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:21 am

Saxoman wrote:I'm not whining about how you play, I'm whining about how many of your fans seem to 'enjoy' your success through gritted teeth, longing for better players that'll miraculously turn dyche into the new arsene Wenger(football wise).. Ain't gonna happen.
A large number of the fans know that the changes will take time to happen and to show.
Plus Dyche has more then earned the right to show if he can change the style of football.

Are you suggesting our fans should be staging a revolt at the style of play?
KRBFC is the man to speak to about that.

LawsCanalJump
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by LawsCanalJump » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:04 am

He is getting paid more then enough
Aslong as he helps keep us up, he can leave with my best wishes.. but I'd like him for next season also

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:05 am

To be fair, this season has seen some very exciting, high scoring games at the Turf with quick incisive counter attacking play. It's not half as dreary as (ball)Sax try's to make out.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:07 am

In every interview in which Dyche is asked about his own future he says "It's not a forever story".

Defour has just said the same thing. No big deal. I'd imagine all the players and coaching staff are only with us until a better offer comes along.

There are only a handful of clubs in the world who don't have that problem.

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:21 am

I don't find it boring.

My concern is it limits our choice of quality (read creative) players because they have to learn to play in the Dyche way.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:32 am

"Serious question, why do we have to accept we will always have a lower possession than the opposition team?"

Good question, looks like this is not only related to other teams having more quality on the ball but also to the fact that it is part of the SD strategy.

Let me add that we're not the only team that is too fussed about retaining possession.

The strategy seems to be working ok, and PL survival is the main objective, which is more than reasonable.

On the other hand, and planning for the future after this season, I think that adding more technically astute players will improve the players we already have, and a good brand of football always helps to attract better players

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Falcon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:47 pm

A good manager plays a system that fits the players he's got, rather than trying to implement a system on the players.

If we get different players then that system may change. This change may be large or it may be small. Depends on the new players.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 856 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Falcon wrote:A good manager plays a system that fits the players he's got, rather than trying to implement a system on the players.
I wonder if Guardiola has worked this out yet?!
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:56 pm

We've got Defour, Steven Defour
I just don't think you understand
He'll get a few more grand
From a Chinese man
Then we won't have Steven Defour

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:19 pm

I like his honesty and I hope he is allowed to leave when he wants, I wouldn't want the thing dragging out like the Payet situation and souring his time with us. I'd like it too end positively.

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:00 pm

I agree with KRBFC. Would love him for another season but if a Chinese club offers £15m in the summer, he'll want to leave, we can replace with a very good standard player for that price and we should just be grateful to have had him.
This user liked this post: KRBFC