RATE THE REF - Mike Dean v Leicester City

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

RATE THE REF - Mike Dean v Leicester City

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:02 pm

Mike Dean (Wirral) v Leicester City

How to Score
A. Decision Making (including use of advantage) - out of 25
B. Consistency - out of 25
C. Fitness and Positioning - of 25
D. Control and Authority - out of 25

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Re: RATE THE REF - Mike Dean v Leicester City

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:03 pm

A 14
B 14
C 18
D 14

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:13 am

**** poor

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:16 am

MDWat
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:20 am

A - 5
B - 5
C - 15
D - 5

Absolutely awful.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:21 am

Dreadful. No surprise he missed the handball - he missed every other key moment. A complete clown

ALP
Been Liked: 1464 times
Has Liked: 387 times

Post by ALP » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:23 am

A 12
B 14
C 16
D 15

Mike Dean needs to get a grip, he was very poor tonight and the linesmen didn't help too much either; Robert Huth was nothing short of a thug out there, but nothing given against him all night. The real decision that they got right was allowing Sam's goal, and the linesman had a wry smile when I told him it was the only correct decision all evening :D
This user liked this post: RalphCoatesComb

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:28 am

A 8
B 12
C 17
D 15

Time to find a new job Mr Dean

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:31 am

A. 15
B. 14
C. 22
D. 12

grapidianclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by grapidianclaret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:42 am

I think the real Jasper Carrott would have given that penalty.

grapidianclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by grapidianclaret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:44 am

How much does the ability to levitate increase the value of a central defender?
Does anybody know?

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1609 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:46 am

A 14
B 14
C 21
D 17

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:02 am

Diabolical.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:29 am

Cannot rate him from a poor stream but the penalty against Michael Keane was in the very bad category.

I think he also bottled at least a further penalty against Andre Gray (maybe two) and also could have booked Jamie Vardy for kicking our goalkeeper and diving.

On the other hand, as Sean Dyche says, we have to thank him for not being simple enough to award a penalty. However, that mirrored praise says more about Jamie Vardy than it does Mike Dean.

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:37 am

I know he made some poor decision but was anyone else glad that he just let the game flowed, no free-kicks for tiny shoves and stuff and really made the game feel end to end. I think it helped it become the most exciting game of the season for me.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:35 am

KefkaClaret wrote:I know he made some poor decision but was anyone else glad that he just let the game flowed, no free-kicks for tiny shoves and stuff and really made the game feel end to end. I think it helped it become the most exciting game of the season for me.
I made the same point on the other Mike Dean thread, and was reprimanded because apparently that means he's not "sticking to the rules". I totally agree that he got 2 or 3 big decisions wrong, (so has to be marked down), but his booking of Lowton was totally correct, and I don't really see how he could have been sure that it was deliberate handball by Vokes in real-time and from where he was positioned - which was basically the correct position for the corner. If he didn't have a clear view then he couldn't give handball.
If he had blown up every time Morgan and Barnes tussled with each other it would have been a very stop / start affair.
So often we see referees constantly blowing up in those grappling/ arm-swinging aerial duels, and you're never entirely sure which way he will give the freekick- it's almost a lottery. As it happens I think Morgan and Huth got away with a bit too much, but Barnes is no Saint, and it was good to watch a tough physical game in which only 12 free-kicks were awarded and only 4 against Burnley. On another day, with another referee, Barton along with Boyd, Hendrik and others would have been unnecessarily penalised on several occasions, just for getting stuck in when it was a 50 / 50 ball.
He also kept a pretty keen eye on Vardy to the extent that Vardy didn't seem to cheat to the extent he normally does, and when he did, Dean was having none of it. (Probably should have booked him though for that incident).
Dean made too many errors last night but the way he controlled the game and allowed it flow without losing control and with just the one booking was a welcome change in many respects form the whistle happy antics of some.
So whilst he definitely made a few poor decisions I thought his overall management of the game was good and contributed to an enjoyable evening.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:35 am

Saw nothing at all the entire match.

Beagleheart
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Beagleheart » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:57 pm

A. 15
B. 14
C. 22
D. 15

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Don't normally rate, so I won't. But:

1. I thought Dean's general game management was fine. He decided early that Morgan and Barnes (and to a less extent Vardy and our centre backs) could handle themselves and that both strikers were doing their best to "win" free kicks, so he decided to let it all go. He was consistent, and I think he got every free kick Barnes appealed for bar one in the second half (hands round his neck from the defender to prevent him getting to the loose ball) spot on, and I think similarly he got Barnes' penalty shout straight after Keane's right. Likewise, he ignored every attempt from Vardy to win everything (including the second half penalty appeal, which I think was consistent with his approach to those incidents throughout the game - Heaton was clumsy, but Vardy looked for contact).

2. However, he certainly got a number of big decisions wrong. Our goal appears to have a huge suspicion of hand ball about it. Keane obviously should have won a penalty, and that was an astonishing failure to distinguish between the sorts of incidents he was letting go around the park, and a blatant push in the box. I thought he also could have given a penalty in the second half when Mee was dragged down from a corner, and should have given a penalty and a yellow card when Gray got through and ended up slide-tackling Schmeical in the second half when Huth dragged him back.

3. That ought to have been a second yellow, because Huth should have been booked previously when Dean (correctly) played advantage following a pull outside the box to allow Gray to force a good save from Schmeical. I thought he was generally fair enough in keeping his cards in his pockets (Lowton might have been unlucky, but once the linesman gave the foul, Dean had to book him), but I'm not sure how the foul on Hendrick, once given, wasn't a card.

So - not a great night from Dean on the big calls, but his overall game management was fine. He remains one of the best refs in the country, and if we want better, then we need to make the job more attractive, which probably involves ending the constant obsession with demonising them for genuine, human mistakes.
These 3 users liked this post: Rileybobs nil_desperandum quoonbeatz

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Agree with spice. Game management was fine, big decisions were awful. Compare this with Craig Pawson who somehow gave 11 yellow cards in our recent victory against Middlesbrough. His approach to the game not only resulted in a number of unwarranted bookings but also helped to ruin the game as a spectacle. Last night's game was one of the most enjoyable this season in my opinion.

Barnes was a classic case of 'live by the sword, die by the sword'. If you're going to try and trick the referee every time you go into a challenge (which Barnes does) then I think the referee has every right to err on the side of caution when considering whether or not a foul has been committed.

Of course, Dean can't be excused for the number of big decisions that he got wrong.
These 2 users liked this post: quoonbeatz sox8595

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:30 pm

claretspice wrote:Heaton was clumsy
Great post spice. Agree with nearly everything apart from the above. There's nothing clumsy about getting kicked by a cheating striker. We all need to start drawing the clear distinction here instead of allowing cheats like Vardy to blur the lines.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:32 pm

Rowls wrote:Great post spice. Agree with nearly everything apart from the above. There's nothing clumsy about getting kicked by a cheating striker. We all need to start drawing the clear distinction here instead of allowing cheats like Vardy to blur the lines.
Vardy has trademarked that move, it's so obvious now that referee's really shouldn't fall for it. Perhaps one of the reasons why Vardy, and in turn Leicester, are struggling to reach anywhere near the heights of last season.

It was a clear dive from my vantage point 100 yards away in the JMU, how it wasn't punished by a yellow card is beyond me.
This user liked this post: Rowls

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:39 pm

heaton was clumsy, in that he came flying out then checked his run but still got into that corridor of uncertainty. there's no doubt that vardy did his usual thing and cheated but heaton coming out like that, to a ball he was never going to win, gave the referee something to think about. this is where its a benefit to have a referee as experienced as mike dean. should have booked vardy though.

tale of two halves for dean last night for me. first half he was as poor as i've ever seen him and the non-awarding of the penalty for the push on keane was criminal.

he was much better in the second half although he should have booked huth for wrestling gray back(although it was outside the area) and he failed to book ndidi for the worst foul in the entire game on hendrick. thats a question of consistency for me, where you have lowton rightly booked for a run of the mill, stopper's challenge but a snide, nasty foul like that, that could have seriously injured hendrick, isn't punished as heavily.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:50 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:heaton was clumsy, in that he came flying out then checked his run but still got into that corridor of uncertainty. there's no doubt that vardy did his usual thing and cheated but heaton coming out like that, to a ball he was never going to win, gave the referee something to think about. this is where its a benefit to have a referee as experienced as mike dean. should have booked vardy though.
These are weaselly phrases invented by pundits who don't have the guts to call a cheat a cheat. Heaton came out to challenge Vardy because he was doing his job as a professional footballer and, as a goalkeeper, was defending his goal.

Doing his job is not "clumsy". The pitch at Turf Moor is not a "corridor of uncertainty".

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:01 pm

there's little point in debating it with you, rowls, as you clearly don't understand and i can't be arsed to explain it in what would need to be sub-simple terms.

pretty sure the phrase 'was clumsy' has been around for a long time and probably pre-dates football pundits but if its a new one on you then you've got some way to go until you're up to speed.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Rowls - I suppose the point is that stating Heaton was clumsy, and that Vardy dived/exaggerated the contact/made the most of it aren't mutually exclusive statements. As Quoon says, it wasn't Heaton's finest bit of goalkeeping and he got caught in no mans land, travelling at a bit of speed, in the vicinity of Vardy. Irrespective of whether it was or wasn't a pen, it was clumsy.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:43 pm

Perhaps I have my Claret tinted specs on regarding Mike Dean after the Sheff Utd play-off final where he could easily have given a penalty against Kalvanes late on. I did think he was one of the better refs but his crown is slipping.

A. 15
B. 15
C. 20
D. 18 I thought he controlled the game well enough. There were no really bad challenges