Mike Dean obnoxious prat

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Mike Dean obnoxious prat

Post by Inchy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:12 pm

Horrible game for him.

He missed a clear pen for us, he allowed a goal which was a hand ball, and he basically let any man handling go.

He also refused to stop the game when a player clearly get smashed on the head.

He was bad for both teams. Barnes and grey get man handled all the time, barton took out one of their players and nothing was given.

He seems to love being centre of attention. Not what you want from a ref and he should be no where near the prem
Last edited by Inchy on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Re: Mike Dean obnoxious prat

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:15 pm

He was absolute dog sh!t tonight.

gogogadgetlegs
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by gogogadgetlegs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:18 pm

Bottle of a thin paper cup that man. Would struggle to name the score of tonights match.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:19 pm

Terrible refereeing tonight. Should be dropped. He is past it.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:19 pm

Not difficult to disagree with that Inchy.
He appeared not to want to make a decision on anything. Very poor indeed, only thing positive was his consistency. Think the liner on the Bob Lord stand side made more decisions in the game.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:24 pm

He just let the game flow. No problem with it.
He stopped the game for the head injury.
It looked a clear penalty from one angle and minimal contact from two more.
The handball I would of given but not intentional, I presume he would give it if he saw it.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:35 pm

He was consistent, which to be honest is all you can ask for

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:35 pm

What happened to the foul on Hendrick. No booking. Shocking!

He absolutely didnt stop it for the head injury!

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:40 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:What happened to the foul on Hendrick. No booking. Shocking!

He absolutely didnt stop it for the head injury!
He made them have a drop ball rather than the throw. Was he just covering his arse?

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:43 pm

He let the game go far too long after the head injury. He didn't even blow up when the ball was essencially dead in the middle of the pitch.

He was poor for both teams tonight.
Last edited by Inchy on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:45 pm

What a memorable game for him!

Specsavers is missing a client !

Some decisions were unbelieveable... penalties, fouls, yellow cards, corners, goals... not much else he could get wrong?! Everything !

The worst refereeing performance since Pawson v Arsenal.

These are professional people FFS !!!

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:48 pm

He got a couple of big decisions wrong, but overall I sort of approved of the way he let play continue and avoided breaking up the game with a string of free-kicks. Frequently in those aerial tussles that Barnes had with Morgan the ref blows up all the time, and often its a lottery which way he gives the free-kick. It appeared to me that Dean had decided to let Barnes and Morgan just get on with it rather than blowing up every time and calling it one way or the other. (This didn't work in our favour as it appeared to me that Morgan got away with a lot, but I can sort of understand the way Dean handled the aerial duals, and in open play, I thought he was consistent in his reluctance to blow up where it was possible to give the players a bit of leeway.)

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:52 pm

Did you see him shrug his shoulders and mime the "in one ear ,out the other ear " action when he was called at, as he came out of the tunnel for the 2nd half - our fans got to him tonight, when they reacted to his atrocious decision making, re the penalty not given to Keane. Not professional for him to react like that and then he seemed determined to 'pay' the fans back by ignoring fouls. The assessor needs to really mark him down for that performance. Real karma that he missed the "handball" but just shows how poor he is.
These 6 users liked this post: Claretmatt4 Anonymous Vintage Claret cricketfieldclarets RalphCoatesComb Juan Tanamera

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:54 pm

Rules are meant to be applied not ignored on a whim, nil-desperandum as are yellow cards for tackles from behind - not the kind of leeway I like to see thank you !

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:57 pm

chorleyhere wrote:Did you see him shrug his shoulders and mime the "in one ear ,out the other ear " action when he was called at, as he came out of the tunnel for the 2nd half - our fans got to him tonight, when they reacted to his atrocious decision making, re the penalty not given to Keane. Not professional for him to react like that and then he seemed determined to 'pay' the fans back by ignoring fouls. The assessor needs to really mark him down for that performance. Real karma that he missed the "handball" but just shows how poor he is.

Yes I did see that. What a prick. As a ref he should be above all that but he clearly isn't. He lacks professionalism and should not be reffing in the prem

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:00 am

Inchy wrote:Horrible game for him.

He missed a clear pen for us, he allowed a goal which was a hand ball, and he basically let any man handling go.

He also refused to stop the game when a player clearly get smashed on the head.

He was bad for both teams. Barnes and grey get man handled all the time, barton took out one of their players and nothing was given.

He seems to love being centre of attention. Not what you want from a ref and he should be no where near the prem
Poor performance from Dean and the liner on the Bob Lord side was poor as well.

I'm assuming the Barton incident you're referring to was the header he won against Okasaki? It was certainly a strong challenge but he won the ball fair and square.

Acting Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Acting Claret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:00 am

There was no head injury, Barnes was play acting again. Embarrassing.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:04 am

chorleyhere wrote:Did you see him shrug his shoulders and mime the "in one ear ,out the other ear " action when he was called at, as he came out of the tunnel for the 2nd half - our fans got to him tonight, when they reacted to his atrocious decision making, re the penalty not given to Keane. Not professional for him to react like that and then he seemed determined to 'pay' the fans back by ignoring fouls. The assessor needs to really mark him down for that performance. Real karma that he missed the "handball" but just shows how poor he is.
I thought I saw that as well Chorleyhere, agree with you, very poor from Dean, and I think the fans reaction did get to him.
Makes me wonder if he did see the 'handball' but chose not to give it, but there again, the linesman didn't flag it either.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:07 am

chorleyhere wrote:Rules are meant to be applied not ignored on a whim, nil-desperandum as are yellow cards for tackles from behind - not the kind of leeway I like to see thank you !
I wasn't suggesting that he ignored any rules. I said straightaway that he got some big decisions wrong, but there are many games - too many games (IMO) where the referee seems to look to make a decision all the time and continually breaks up play. Despite it being a pretty physical contest this evening he only awarded 4 free-kicks against us and 8 against them. Week after week I see Barton, Boyd, Arfield and others giving 100% commitment and being constantly penalised in 50 /50 situations where there's really v little in it. (The Boro game was an obvious example where we picked up 6 yellow cards in a game that was constantly interrupted by an over zealous official.)
Maybe, it's because I've been watching Burnley for over 50 years and can remember when football was a much more physical contest.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:07 am

In between working (yes Tiao, i do that), playing snooker, and **** posting on reddit i saw that he missed two penalties (one maybe outside but was still a foul) and our goal which was a hand ball.

I normally stick up for referees because i think almost all of what **** they have to put up with is partisan nonsense and whining but tonight, from what i saw, he had a really bad game.
This user liked this post: RalphCoatesComb

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:44 am

Thank god it wasnt just me who saw that. Thought I was seeing things. Then smugly kicked the ball like ten men!

The fact he did that clearly means it hadnt gone in one ear and out the other. He was riled and it was because of yet more poor reffing in this league. The Championship is genuinely better standard. In fact PE Games at school had better refs!

The one he bloew up for tussling in the box in front of the JML was a joke. Why no penalty?

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:04 am

He allowed play on after Gray was pretty much assaulted and then only gives a corner.

Dean was very poor tonight indeed. How and why Lowton got a yellow I do not know.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:43 am

When Barnes and their players were exchaning handbags in their penalty area he was totally unaware and looking the other way......it could have got out of hand.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:59 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Thank god it wasnt just me who saw that. Thought I was seeing things. Then smugly kicked the ball like ten men!

The fact he did that clearly means it hadnt gone in one ear and out the other. He was riled and it was because of yet more poor reffing in this league. The Championship is genuinely better standard. In fact PE Games at school had better refs!

The one he bloew up for tussling in the box in front of the JML was a joke. Why no penalty?
Corner hasn't been taken and it was off the ball. I think he was just telling them t behave himself.

Kudos for allowing play to run but he let both Huth and Morgan get away with murder. All the big decisions he got wrong too (aside from Vardys dive)

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:06 am

Yeah, Vardy got a well deserved yellow for that didn't he?

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:17 am

I normally stick up for refs. I'm not one of these moaning fans that think the world and his dog wants us to fail.

Imo he isn't professional and is mad. There's videos of him on various Facebook football groups dping mad things on the pitch and the video title is usually "Mike dean never change".

He will love that. But people are more likely to highlight his stupid behaviour than his good reffing.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:57 am

I think its completely wrong and out of order to denigrate a ref personally. Ive never met Mike Dean so i don't know what he's like as a bloke. Clearly lots of people on here do.

He had a poor game last night and got the big decisions wrong, but he let the game flow and he remains one of our best refs. If you think you can do better, go and do it yourself, and put up with all the stick they get.
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

CarlesTheClaretPuyol
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by CarlesTheClaretPuyol » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:59 am

Dean had a poor game, but having seen the replay I don't think it was as clear a penalty on Keane as I thought it was at the time.

The handball was debatable - clearly unintentional but if it had been disallowed, then fair enough. If it had gone in for Leicester, I'd have been angry, but I guess that's just football!
Last edited by CarlesTheClaretPuyol on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3341 times
Has Liked: 1961 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:00 am

He's an awful referee now. Has been for the past two years.

Claretmatt4

Post by Claretmatt4 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:03 am

CarlesTheClaretPuyol wrote:Dean had a poor game, but having seen the replay I don't think it was as clear a penalty on Keane as I thought it was at the time.

The handball was debatable - clearly unintentional but if it had been disallowed, then fair enough. If it had gone in for Leicester, I'd have been angry, but I guess that's just football!
Must have seen a different replay to me, Keane leaps in the air and is pushed from behind. Leicester players arms are outstretched, he's barely jumped and isn't looking at the ball. Dean is literally staring right at it and it's a nailed on penalty.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 511 times
Has Liked: 1062 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:15 am

The posts above just prove how difficult this reffing lark is as I notice considerable differences of opinion on 'offences' committed during the game. Can't even agree on the validity of our goal. Can only give 'deliberate handball' if you believe the action was deliberate. Controlling the ball or scoring does not make the action deliberate.

Claretmatt4

Post by Claretmatt4 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:18 am

You're right Darnhill. I think the rules should be 'if you gain an advantage through accidental handball it's a freekick' but it's not

What about Drinkwaters attempt at a handball clearance on the line??

SparkyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by SparkyClaret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 am

I'd say controlling the ball with your arm would imply a deliberate "arm to ball" movement, and therefore warrant action from the ref.

CarlesTheClaretPuyol
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by CarlesTheClaretPuyol » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:28 am

Claretmatt4 wrote:Must have seen a different replay to me, Keane leaps in the air and is pushed from behind. Leicester players arms are outstretched, he's barely jumped and isn't looking at the ball. Dean is literally staring right at it and it's a nailed on penalty.
From the stands it looked like the most blatant outstretched arm push I'd ever seen and I was incensed. From watching MOTD, it was more of a nudge in my opinion. Still a foul but I'm not as sore about it as I was at the time.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:29 am

It wasn't handball last night and it wasn't in the last minute against Arsenal.

They say decisions level out across a season but we gained 2 last night through good fortune rather than 1 against the Gooners so happy days.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2325 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:32 am

Came through for us at Wembley.....big time.

We owe him.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:44 am

Truly shocking, the things he allowed to go unpunished means that in the next game both sets of players will think it is ok to grapple in the penalty area and bish bash bosh a penalty is given to say Watford and you wonder why they were grappling. Simple fact is that Mike Dean thought it was ok in the last match. I just think at this level where every point can be worth Millions of pounds we have to have better standards for refs.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:11 am

I agree with a lot of the comments on here after todays game. However just to clarify a few bits

No assessors at the game nowadays. They are sent a video of the key incidents in a couple days time for them to digest and work on. Most pgmol refs hate it and would prefer the assessor back.

Drop ball was correct decision as he hit the whistle whilst the ball was still in play. He was clearly seen explaining that to the players.

First call for push in back? IMO penalty
Second call seconds later No penalty.
Handball - if seen then yes. Thats the luck of the draw i am afraid.
Vardy looking for pen. Dive and caution. Correct decision no pen, Incorrect application of law
I felt he was very lenient and tried to let the game flow to his credit.
Barnes got no protection but was undoubtedly giving as good as he got.
These 3 users liked this post: nil_desperandum ngsobob simonclaret

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:12 am

I lost count of how many times we were trying to win a header and they just jumped into us, no attempt to make contact with the ball. Gamesmanship but Dean just let it go, every ******* time.
The number of times Gray was manhandled, nothing.
Truly shocking performance.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:13 am

If Lawton gets a yellow then the bean pole who hacked Hendricks down should have got one.
Dean had no intention from kick off in giving Barnes anything.Love Barnsey but he's not the biggest and when he's up against Big lumps like Morgan and Huth he does use every trick in the book to gain something which Dean wasn't falling for.
The Keane incident was a penalty,anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul and Dean bottled that one because he had a good view.
The Vardy one was one of those where a championship ref could have give it,but Dean was well aware what a devious cheating little scroat Vardy is,but he really should have booked him.
The Vokes handball is one of those that when slowed right down looks obvious but at full speed it isn't blatant it rolls across his body onto his arm which isn't in an abnormal position.
Certainly seen worse referees and decisions at the Turf than last night.
Would you say Vokes handball was anything like Koscielnys?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:15 am

I'd agree with all of that DP.

It's all the actions and OTT hand gestures that wind fans up.

As the song goes.

It's not about you,
It's not about youuuu,
Mike Dean, it's not about you!

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 am

dpinsussex wrote: Barnes got no protection but was undoubtedly giving as good as he got.
I thought the fact that he didn't blow the whistle every time Barnes fell over improved Barnes game as he stopped falling over and started challenging for the ball.

Dean undoubtedly got some decisions wrong last night, the goal being one of them. But I've got a bit of a soft spot for him as he's been the ref for some big Burnley win, notably the play-off final (where he did us a favour with a pen decision) and our first victory against Rovers in 34 years!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:57 am

claretspice wrote:I think its completely wrong and out of order to denigrate a ref personally. Ive never met Mike Dean so i don't know what he's like as a bloke. Clearly lots of people on here do.

He had a poor game last night and got the big decisions wrong, but he let the game flow and he remains one of our best refs. If you think you can do better, go and do it yourself, and put up with all the stick they get.

Oooooooooooo

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Huth and Morgan should have been penalised, as grappling just means any clueless big man can just grasp a striker and down him, no matter what. That's not skill. The push on Keane was as he jumped. No pressure needed to move him through the air and out of the line of the ball. Drinkwater's arm continued through the pushing motion and was clearly visible to the ref. Penalty.

Barry- obviously throwing himself at Heaton. Booking.

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:40 pm

MACCA wrote:I'd agree with all of that DP.

It's all the actions and OTT hand gestures that wind fans up.

See some referees can get things right :) :) :)

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:42 pm

claretspice wrote:I think its completely wrong and out of order to denigrate a ref personally. Ive never met Mike Dean so i don't know what he's like as a bloke. Clearly lots of people on here do.

Very fair from claretspice.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Lowton slid in and got the man not the ball. Booking all day long in todays game .

With all the stick he has been given this season about awarding penalties it would have to be a stonewaller to give now.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Thought overall he was very lenient against Huth and Morgan. Should have booked Huth for grappling Gray.

Decided before the game he wasn't going to give Barnes or Vardy anything.

Foul on Hendrick was a 100% booking.

Our pen shout and our goal were 50/50 shouts that could have gone either way.

Not the worst performance in the world, but he can be quite frustrating and stubborn at times

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:55 pm

The only thing he got right was not giving that diving cheat Vardy a penalty, I must admit at the time when I saw Vardy go down I thought he was gonna blow it just felt like one of them games with one of them refs who wanted to cause controversy and p*ss off the home crowd as much as possible thankfully he made another shocker which allowed us to win the game :lol:

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:13 pm

my personal favourite was telling off Barnes at the corner, he did nothing wrong the other guy just grabbed him , yet they both get a telling off.