Ever had a negative experience..

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Smallpaul
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Ever had a negative experience..

Post by Smallpaul » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:34 pm

Have you ever had a negative experience with one of our own players?

I've only ever had one & its from a good while back.

It's about 1990 & im 9/10 years old, Always went on the Cricketfield back then & as a child it was great to hang around the tunnel, see your heroes really close up & get autographs. We had a player banging in the goals, he's great! & even better, the guy had a nickname "Rocket"

I'm 10 years old remember & the thought of one of our players being named Rocket was really "cool"

So a point came when i was able to get his autograph by the tunnel pre-match...excited...over he came...took my pen & paper & i asked him...

Can you sign it Rocket Ron Futcher please?

He looked at me, stopped writing & said NO & walked off leaving me with a piece of paper with the letters "Ro"

Confused, gutted, WTF.

Later as i got older i learnt his nickname was a **** take, he was slow, no pace whatsoever.

I still think he was mean lol as far as i knew Rockets were cool & amazing & stuff :lol:
These 8 users liked this post: BFCmaj Lord Beamish spadesclaret RocketLawnChair RalphCoatesComb blackburnturfite Leisure evensteadiereddie

john'sroseyspecs
Been Liked: 364 times

Re: Ever had a negative experience..

Post by john'sroseyspecs » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:41 pm

Chris Brass was a customer quite a few years ago. Liked him as a player, but after talking to him for a few minutes I realised that the gum he was chewing had more brain cells than the chewer. Totally vacant

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Had a strange negetive experience with an ex Wovers player.

I was in American on my honeymoon. We were doing a 5 week tour of Vegas, East coast etc. Anyway I was in an Irish bar next to my hotel in Carmel where pebble beach is. My wife had gone back to the hotel and I was sat at the bar having one more drink watching basketball. I then heard a strong cockney accent behind me. It was David Bentley. He came up to me and said "you from Lancashire?" I said "yeah I'm a burnley fan" his dad who was with him said "f*ck me you lot get everywhere". Anyway we got chatting about golf, which was why he was there, and he asked me why I was there, where I had been travelling to etc. He was a nice guy. His dad however was a clown. ****** up and just embarrassing himself. I could tell David seemed a bit embarrassed . His dad went over to a group of girls all about 21 and started chatting them up. He then bought a massive round of drink for the girls and didn't tip the barman. That went down like a led balloon and the barman told David Bentley that he wasn't going to serve his dad again. David pulled out a wad of cash and gave it to the barman.

He then turned to me and said "shall we go fire into those birds over there? " I said " no I just told you I'm on my honeymoon". He replied "yeah but she isn't here? Let's go fire into them and take them to the club?" I said "alright then il just nip to the loo". I left
This user liked this post: superdimitri

MrHungry
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by MrHungry » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:09 pm

Leighton james....almost run us over at keirby roundabout sure he drove a mini...bit of an altercation and we were tempted to chin him,Burnley were playing miiddlesbrough that day though and we let it be.he turned on a sixpence that and left his man standing and im sure scored or assisted...a right big headed bugger like a few of em in the seventies and as we know fiery he was with it.daft as it sounds been my favourite burnley player of all time.....that is untill joeys arrival......now equals!
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 pm

its probably like the old adage said, never meet your heroes.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Frank Casper's son bought my old ZX81 off me in the 80s. Tight git wouldn't pay the full price and knocked me down
This user liked this post: BFCmaj

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2325 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Derek Scott was certainly a big headed bell end around the Hop and other pubs in the mid to late 70's.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Croydon Claret wrote:Frank Casper's son bought my old ZX81 off me in the 80s. Tight git wouldn't pay the full price and knocked me down
hope you weren't badly injured !!
These 6 users liked this post: Croydon Claret conyoviejo cricketfieldclarets blackburnturfite nuttersuclan Burnleyareback2

MrHungry

Post by MrHungry » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Hahaha.....will coyote lmao

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:hope you weren't badly injured !!
Doesn't Frank Caspars son post on here? :D

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 pm

conyoviejo wrote:Doesn't Frank Caspars son post on here? :D
I don't think you can get the internet on a ZX81.
These 2 users liked this post: BFCmaj IanMcL

Shipclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Shipclaret » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:56 pm

I had a less than positive exchange with Adrian Heath in the players lounge after a mid week win at Millwall around 1994 a couple of years before he was manager. Congratulated him and the team and he was only interested in showing off to the players around him. Sadly for him he isn't as sharp as he thought and my mate cut him down to size with a couple of pithy observations. Didn't make me proud to be a Claret that night, had no choice than to have another pint.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Winston White threatened me in the Manor Barn so I twatted him !!
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Wexford_Claret

bobinho
Been Liked: 4105 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:00 pm

Few years back a few players were having a few scoops in a pub (forget which). I accidentally bumped into Chris brass. "Sorry mate," says I. "Effing be careful, do you know who I am?" Came the reply. Dunno why I didnt just spark him. Always regretted that.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:01 pm

john'sroseyspecs wrote:Chris Brass was a customer quite a few years ago. Liked him as a player, but after talking to him for a few minutes I realised that the gum he was chewing had more brain cells than the chewer. Totally vacant
When I was a kid Brassy used to live round the corner from us for a while when he was at Burnley and we used to see him out walking his Dalmatian dog regularly. One time his dog decided to charge into our house, anyway after a long apology he stood chatting to me and my mum about Burnley for quite a while and every time we saw him after that he always used to stop and chat.

Always found him to be a really nice bloke.

Goobs

Post by Goobs » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Bumped (not literally) into Graham Branch in Works / ignite after a match one night. He didn't seem to take too kindly to me calling him twiggy :shock: :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: Zom Zom Buxtonclaret

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:09 pm

A mate of mine is a Liverpool fan and worked for a firm who looked after the PFA Pension Scheme, among others.

The worst phone call he ever had to take was with some aggressive, thick arsehole called Steven Gerrard. Gutted him.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1051 times
Has Liked: 553 times

Post by Fretters » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Goobs wrote:Bumped (not literally) into Graham Branch in Works / ignite after a match one night. He didn't seem to take too kindly to me calling him twiggy :shock: :lol:
Top bloke is Branchy. Refers to himself as Krusty after Krusty the clown (down to his old hair style) so I doubt nicknames bother him too much. Probably just in a bad mood that night, had we lost??

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:13 pm

One thing that bothers me about some of these incidents, it would put some folk off. I mean, the one about Adrian Heath, if that was genuine, and he behaved like an arrogant tosser, then as a fan , most would recoil and detest the man for it. If he was involved with the club in any capacity, i would not like him to succeed, which is bad. But as an individual, i would feel offended. thats why its best to avoid the buggers.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:14 pm

Same player as in the OP.

We'd (me and a chum) just been in the ticket office and Ron was coming out of the main entrance and my mate shouted "O'reyt Rocket".

He said "F**k off".

My mate beelined for him but he got in a car and off he went.

I still to this day don't understand what it was about, but he wasn't with us long after that.
This user liked this post: Smallpaul

Goobs

Post by Goobs » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:19 pm

Fretters wrote:Top bloke is Branchy. Refers to himself as Krusty after Krusty the clown (down to his old hair style) so I doubt nicknames bother him too much. Probably just in a bad mood that night, had we lost??
Think it was more a case of him being annoyed by a drunken idiot chanting "twiggy" at him. I believe his response was more of the "only my friends call me that" variety.

Met him a few times after that and he always came across as really nice.

MrHungry

Post by MrHungry » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:24 pm

Or8 rocket.? You shudda offered him a fruit gum chum!

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:27 pm

Ahem, Kyle Lafferty anyone?
This user liked this post: Herts Clarets

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:29 pm

I had a cup of tea with Jimmy McIlroy a few weeks back. Absolute gent. They may say "never meet your heroes", but they can certainly make an exception for him.
This user liked this post: Goobs

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 pm

I tagged Joey on his Twitter asking if he would sign his book and that I was in The CFS in the bottom corner near the tunnel,and would he sign his book for me during the warm up before the Leicester game,he just ignored me.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Only had good experiences with players ...

A story thats "celeb" related but not football that always sticks in my mind is what happened to my sister.

She was living in Hitchin (just outside London) and worked for Connexions who would help youngsters into further educatiom and employment etc..

One of her roles was calling up pupils who had been in trouble in school and one day had to call up somebody who'd been in a fight at school and ended up on her list ... She called up and the lads mother answered and after the general chat she found out he was doing alright .... Then asked about his brother who had some problems and the same answer was given that he worked with his brother and they're both doing really well and don't need any help.

She said "Goodbye Mrs Hamilton" and put the phone down ...... Then realised she'd been on the blower to Lewis Hamiltons mum just after he'd signed his first major contract racing. In her words "I felt a right di*k and crossed him name off our system".

:lol: :lol:

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Once met Steve Davis (the one Judas later corrupted) when he was first team coach.

I jokingly asked him if there were any plans to bring in another centre back since we only had Carlisle and Caldwell back then, and was one injured if I remember correctly.

"None of your business" came the response.

I came away thinking he was a right knob. Turns out he was much worse.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:35 pm

jdrobbo wrote:Ahem, Kyle Lafferty anyone?
Saw him in Manchester after Bolton last season (he must have been attending the boxing) - He just ignored us which was fair play when my mate shouted "you still shag*ing 15 years olds Kyle?" At him.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:55 pm

Alex MacDonald once dropped a fiver outside lava ignite and refused to bend down to pick it up. Said it would cost him more in his time to pick it up than it was worth.

Think he plays for Mansfield now. Not sure if its Mansfield School?

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:56 pm

ksrclaret wrote:Once met Steve Davis (the one Judas later corrupted) when he was first team coach.

I jokingly asked him if there were any plans to bring in another centre back since we only had Carlisle and Caldwell back then, and was one injured if I remember correctly.

"None of your business" came the response.

I came away thinking he was a right knob. Turns out he was much worse.
too many of these incidents would turn me off the club, what a tactless and rude reply to receive to an innocent question from a supporter!

Its actually quite bad reading some of these, trying to block them out. I know they get it constantly, but bloody hell ! would like to believe Barton just couldn't manage the book signing due to pressure and time committments rather than think of him as a self centred git. Doesn't look good does it.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:57 pm

fatboy47 wrote:Derek Scott was certainly a big headed bell end around the Hop and other pubs in the mid to late 70's.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:57 pm

MrHungry wrote:Leighton james....almost run us over at keirby roundabout sure he drove a mini...bit of an altercation and we were tempted to chin him,Burnley were playing miiddlesbrough that day though and we let it be.he turned on a sixpence that and left his man standing and im sure scored or assisted...a right big headed bugger like a few of em in the seventies and as we know fiery he was with it.daft as it sounds been my favourite burnley player of all time.....that is untill joeys arrival......now equals!
Was expecting this one :D 8-)

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:58 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:Winston White threatened me in the Manor Barn so I twatted him !!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:09 pm

It's obviously all about timing. At the time Lafferry was at Burnley he was knocking about socially with my nephew. My nephew once called to our house with Kyle and he made a real fuss of my son who was 6 at the time and completely star struck.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:10 pm

I once bumped into Kieran Trippier at the traffic lights. Only it wasnt him it was some other bloke driving his car. Was gutted!
This user liked this post: Wexford_Claret

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:13 pm

Around 1993 when I was about 10, I used to go to Saturday Club and play football in the gym, which is now the ETC behind the Longside. Every morning of a home game, we used to queue up by the overgrown weeds and urine stained walls and waited for the coaches to open the door.

On this occasion the door was already ajar, the coach pushed open the door and switched on the lights and propped up behind the 5-a-side nets was one of Burnley's midfielders, he looked, let's say, a little worse for wear.

He looked at the us group of lads, who were approaching him, wide eyed in amazement, just got up and staggered outside.

I won't say who it was because it might not have really been how I remember it, needless to say though, he wasn't on the team sheet for that game.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:26 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:Around 1993 when I was about 10, I used to go to Saturday Club and play football in the gym, which is now the ETC behind the Longside. Every morning of a home game, we used to queue up by the overgrown weeds and urine stained walls and waited for the coaches to open the door.

On this occasion the door was already ajar, the coach pushed open the door and switched on the lights and propped up behind the 5-a-side nets was one of Burnley's midfielders, he looked, let's say, a little worse for wear.

He looked at the us group of lads, who were approaching him, wide eyed in amazement, just got up and staggered outside.

I won't say who it was because it might not have really been how I remember it, needless to say though, he wasn't on the team sheet for that game.
Spaceman?
This user liked this post: claptrappers_union

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:30 pm

I remember years ago after a match, me and my mates were messing about on the cricket field after a home game, we must've been around 13 or 14 at the time and it had been snowing heavily. There used to be (and possibly still is?) a mesh fence that separated the cricket field from the players car park adjacent to the Bob Lord and you could see the players walking to their cars. Being kids we decided it'd be funny to chuck a few snowballs at whoever happened to be walking past and it's safe to say we got a mixed response. Gareth O'Connor told us to p*ss off, Brian Jensen jokingly asked us if that was the best we'd got and beckoned us to throw more at him and Wayne Thomas told us he was going to climb over the fence and knock our teeth out! We shouted back that he was so slow he probably wouldn't have caught us :P I'll cut him some slack though because in his defence he had received a red card that day.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:33 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:too many of these incidents would turn me off the club, what a tactless and rude reply to receive to an innocent question from a supporter!

Its actually quite bad reading some of these, trying to block them out. I know they get it constantly, but bloody hell ! would like to believe Barton just couldn't manage the book signing due to pressure and time committments rather than think of him as a self centred git. Doesn't look good does it.
I'm not berating Barton for not signing my book it's up to him,it was just a negative experience Wile.;)

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:35 pm

I was once passing the turf on my way home, a player who was well known at the time nationally, dropped an anvil on my head.
These 5 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret cricketfieldclarets randomclaret2 1968claret Guich

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:I was once passing the turf on my way home, a player who was well known at the time nationally, dropped an anvil on my head.
Was you hurt or did it just bounce of your head :)
This user liked this post: BennyD

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3770 times
Has Liked: 7569 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
I was once passing the turf on my way home, a player who was well known at the time nationally, dropped an anvil on my head.

When he drove away, did he go 'Beep Beep'..? :lol:

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:17 am

Kieran Trippier once bought me 2 jager bombs, top guy!
This user liked this post: mickleoverclaret

Goobs

Post by Goobs » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:22 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:I was once passing the turf on my way home, a player who was well known at the time nationally, dropped an anvil on my head.
I didn't think it was a man that did that to you, I could have sworn it was a bird.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:31 am

yeah, Paul Stewart when he was playing, ******* ******

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3603 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:15 am

I got told to f u c k off by Rune Vindheim when I was about 11 when asking for his autograph! I think I prefer that memory now as a thirty year old than to the prospect of having the non entity's name on some paper!

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:25 am

I can kind of understand when players are rude in bars/ clubs.

They have probably heard every crap bit of banter possible several times.

Having said that I spoke to Chris McCann several times down burnley on a Saturday night and he was always sound as a pound.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:10 am

RocketLawnChair wrote:Winston White threatened me in the Manor Barn so I twatted him !!
Loved the Manor Barn! Gutted when they closed it!

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:15 am

when I was younger, a relative of mine who was football daft, and a huge Everton fan, got the same shoddy treatment when he asked for an autogragph from one of his favourite players. I knew how much he liked the player too. He was only a youngster (my relative) , but I never forgot how rude that b*****d was. Could never watch him play without detesting him after that. It never went away either, permanant damage done there I'm sad to say.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:too many of these incidents would turn me off the club, what a tactless and rude reply to receive to an innocent question from a supporter!

Match head on. Focus. It's all in his book.