Dyche

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: Dyche

Post by KRBFC » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:23 am

Cooperclaret wrote:Bit of perspective. Lincoln beat Brighton - Brighton won today. Do you think the Brighton management give a toss about the FA Cup now - nah !!

Move on !
Brighton fielded a reserve team, 10 changes or something from their regular league 11.
We didn't field a reserve team, we were near full strength, full backs and Arfield aside the rest were pretty much the best we had available.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:32 am

Too many saying we should have beat Lincoln no matter who Dyche picked, that's as maybe but from very early on it was apparent we were struggling on our Left more than anywhere else on the pitch and he didn't change it which when we got about 15 minutes into the second half it started becoming unacceptable.. I was very disappointed with our manager today for once.

BillyIngham'sShorts
Been Liked: 38 times

Post by BillyIngham'sShorts » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:06 am

predictable load of old nonsense on the board today
**** happens - teams have off days - they had a couple of chances and scored one. We edged it chances wise and on another day one would have gone in. i think it is silly for people to jump to conclusions about players off one fa cup game . We learnt nothing about gray today that we don't already know - he is an absolute handful on his day and today was not his day. His touch is poor - he's not a footballer, but he has something that not many have - he terrorises defences a lot of the time - just not today.

Its natural to feel angry as a fan with big hopes for fa cup when it all seemed set up for us , but we all need to get real and put a bit of perspective goggles on, and move on. I was at Wimbledon game by the way. I think non league is better standard nowadays with fitter and quicker players. I tried to put a bet on Lincoln today ( i don't usually bet - only once this season - away win at Arsenal on ridiculous odds- which i lost of course) as i felt that we might get rumbled ( and thought it would soften the blow if we did) but couldn't get it sorted when i tried to open an account to get the "new account freebies."
etc
These 2 users liked this post: chorleyhere cricketfieldclarets

Cooperclaret
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by Cooperclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:07 am

And why did Brighton play their reserves ? Because they are going for promotion and £200 million so could not give a stuff about the cup which lost its magic years ago.

If our gaffer wanted to win yesterday we would of done, no problem.

I'm much more gutted about losing JBG than going through and I am sure the gaffer is also.

Hull is the priority
This user liked this post: Steve1956

taffy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by taffy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:52 am

Troy deeney said Watford were bullied when we beat them on t'turf well we got bullied by a better organised team its as simple as that we can just hope Sean learnt something about his players

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1069 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:59 am

What i wish Dyche and the team would get right is:

Putting a man on each post and staying there when defending corner's

Leaving at least one man on the half way line when the opposition have a corner ready for a break away instead of having 11 men in the box, this just congests the penalty box and when/if we clear own lines and boot the ball up the pitch no one is there to pick up the ball and most times it just get knocked back into our penalty area

Take the thrown ins quicker

Heaton to release the ball quicker instead of letting the opposition re group up field
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley Ace The Enclosure

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3868 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 am

Cooperclaret wrote:And why did Brighton play their reserves ? Because they are going for promotion and £200 million so could not give a stuff about the cup which lost its magic years ago.

If our gaffer wanted to win yesterday we would of done, no problem.

I'm much more gutted about losing JBG than going through and I am sure the gaffer is also.

Hull is the priority
The Clarets I know are absolutely devastated about yesterdays result and I still feel this way this morning. I haven't really batted an eyelid for any defeat this season in the league in comparison.

The cup might of lost it's magic to you but to many it hasn't. To say Dyche didn't want to win yesterday is codswallop, he has just built a team to play without the ball but looks terrible when we are expected to have it.

Losing to Accy Stanley and Lincoln in the same season is not acceptable by any standards.

Cooperclaret
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by Cooperclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:18 am

No, but do you think staying in the Premier League is acceptable ??? Or do a Wigan, win the cup go down then back to oblivion

The gaffer said that the prem is priority and that will do for me.

Come on guys !!!!!!!!!!
This user liked this post: chorleyhere

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:20 am

Cooperclaret wrote:No, but do you think staying in the Premier League is acceptable ??? Or do a Wigan, win the cup go down then back to oblivion

The gaffer said that the prem is priority and that will do for me.

Come on guys !!!!!!!!!!
Hardly anyone remembers Wigan winning the FA Cup, yet it was a world wide story when Leicester won the PL title.

The FA cup lost its value years ago!
This user liked this post: Cooperclaret

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:40 am

Spijed wrote:Hardly anyone remembers Wigan winning the FA Cup, yet it was a world wide story when Leicester won the PL title.

The FA cup is the best knock out competition in the world and we've missed our best chance of gaining some silverware. I've dreamt of going to Wembley in an FA cup final since being told by my parents in 1962 that I was too young to go and that I will get my chance. Here's still waiting, but don't tell me the cup's lost it's value, it certainly hasn't for me and I thought I was waking up from a nightmare this morning.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:45 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Losing to Accy Stanley and Lincoln in the same season is not acceptable by any standards.
I'm sure Liverpool feel the same way losing to Burnley & Bournemouth in the same season....not acceptable by any standards ! :roll:
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:48 am

For me that "performance" should be the last time ever that Arfield and Boyd form any part of a midfield 4. It's beyond useless when they appear together
This user liked this post: Zenwisdom

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 am

Since they've been the mainstay of our wide players for such a long time during our great successes I'd say referring to them as 'beyond useless' is quite frankly disrespectful.
This user liked this post: Zenwisdom

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Spijed wrote:Hardly anyone remembers Wigan winning the FA Cup, yet it was a world wide story when Leicester won the PL title.

Really? Every football supporter I know will remember both. Obviously Leicester more because it was so recent?

Would you turn down winning the premier league as it put Leicester in big trouble and Blackburn got relegated later on?

I would take winning a trophy over staying up any day of the week thankyou.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Really? Every football supporter I know will remember both. Obviously Leicester more because it was so recent?

Would you turn down winning the premier league as it put Leicester in big trouble and Blackburn got relegated later on?

So you would prefer to be in the Championship and as poor as a church mouse and unable to attract talent like Brady & Hendrick then?.... :roll:

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Struggling to know how to react to yesterday. Think SD is the best thing our club has at the moment. Yet he is still learning and developing just like Pep down the road is having to adapt to English football. Yesterday we had tons of possession, week in week out we train to have 30%, hit on the counter. We are not the finished article in knowing how to play with so much of the ball, perhaps Defour was the one player we missed more than any other yesterday but that is hindsight and of course availability. So I think I will file it under another lesson learnt, a great wake up call for the recruitment team who must be planning summer signings in those key positions we still need to strengthen in. Well done Lincoln, lets move on nothing more to see here.... UTC

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Steve1956 wrote:So you would prefer to be in the Championship and as poor as a church mouse and unable to attract talent like Brady & Hendrick then?.... :roll:
I wouldn't prefer the championship no and it doesn't automatically come if we would of won the cup just because it happened to Wigan.

Bolton stayed up for years never winning anything, look at them now.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Really? Every football supporter I know will remember both. Obviously Leicester more because it was so recent?

At this moment in time I really enjoy seeing us achieve the best situation we can, and that's doing as well as we can in the Premier league. The extra money would allow us to have a better chance of playing in a cup final, in all likelihood, as we can buy better players.

Yes, it would be fantastic to win the FA Cup, but not at the expense of us slipping down the league and ending up at a level that's forgotten about in a few years.

Would the feeling of winning the FA Cup be any greater than the day we beat Sheff Utd. at Wembly to get in the PL for the first time in recent memory?

Millwall, Cardiff, Hull & Palace have all been to the final in recent years and it's seen as just a distant memory for them.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Personally I think the cup is as important now as it always has been. I was more gutted yesterday than I was when Colin Methven headed in for Blackpool against us or when Bolton beat us at home and their fans went on the pitch.
These days the bean counters that dominate clubs would rather you finish 2 places higher in the Premier League than win the FA Cup but not me you are in it to win the competition and that means entering what you perceive to be your strongest side and if you get beat fair enough.
Those who point to Wigan should speak to their "Springfield Park" fans like my mate who writes for their fanzine. He said the experience of winning the FA Cup and the following years European games was worth the extra few years of struggling in the Premier League
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Winning the FA Cup and getting relegated in the same season has only ever been done ONCE in history yep ONCE I repeat.

There is no link in success meaning relegation.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:42 pm

It was entirely realistic to expect our good league form to continue and to progress in the FA cup and I was definitely hoping for the latter.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I wouldn't prefer the championship no and it doesn't automatically come if we would of won the cup just because it happened to Wigan.

Bolton stayed up for years never winning anything, look at them now.
You just said you would sooner win a trophy than stay up,your never ever going to get the trophy with a useless team,let's get established in the Premier League and then in a few years give the FACup a run,let's not run before we can walk eh?..the hysteria on here last week made me giggle with all the talk of us going to Wembley :D ..we couldn't beat Lincoln at home...City United & Chelsea are still in this, lets just concentrate on what we have done good so far....eh? Please?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Steve1956 wrote:You just said you would sooner win a trophy than stay up,your never ever going to get the trophy with a useless team,let's get established in the Premier League and then in a few years give the FACup a run,let's not run before we can walk eh?..the hysteria on here last week made me giggle with all the talk of us going to Wembley :D ..we couldn't beat Lincoln at home...City United & Chelsea are still in this, lets just concentrate on what we have done good so far....eh? Please?
Don't take that as I want to get relegated. My priority is winning things. It doesn't have to go together.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:31 pm

Put it down as a bad day at the office. I'm disappointed like everyone else but not too worried about our league form.

We should have beaten them with the team we had out but it was far from our best team and I'm sure Lowton, Ward, Mee, Barnes, Hendrick, Brady and Defour coming back in will make a difference.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Success in the FA cup and he Premier League aren't mutually exclusive. We have got ourselves into a very strong position in the league and got a dream of a draw to take us into a quarter final where the likes of Milwall or Middlesbrough may have been the only obstacle between ourselves and a semi final at Wembley.

Dyche picked a team that should have been comfortably strong enough to beat Lincoln, but through a mixture of poor tactics, dreadful performances and a bit of bad luck we've blown a big chance.

If we survive, which we will, I'll not dwell on this at the end of the season because the bigger picture was always to avoid relegation. I'm pretty gutted about yesterday's result, and the manner of it though.
This user liked this post: taio

taio

Post by taio » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Success in the FA cup and he Premier League aren't mutually exclusive. We have got ourselves into a very strong position in the league and got a dream of a draw to take us into a quarter final where the likes of Milwall or Middlesbrough may have been the only obstacle between ourselves and a semi final at Wembley.

Dyche picked a team that should have been comfortably strong enough to beat Lincoln, but through a mixture of poor tactics, dreadful performances and a bit of bad luck we've blown a big chance.

If we survive, which we will, I'll not dwell on this at the end of the season because the bigger picture was always to avoid relegation. I'm pretty gutted about yesterday's result, and the manner of it though.
Sums it up for me perfectly.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:The Clarets I know are absolutely devastated about yesterdays result and I still feel this way this morning. I haven't really batted an eyelid for any defeat this season in the league in comparison.

The cup might of lost it's magic to you but to many it hasn't. To say Dyche didn't want to win yesterday is codswallop, he has just built a team to play without the ball but looks terrible when we are expected to have it.

no, cooperclaret is spot on, that is exactly how it is. I genuinley feel sorry for those clarets who believed we we up for this cup debacle, but sadly this is not so. Brighton example tellsyou all you need to know.Accy was similar. Meaningless distractions in this era unfortunately. There are millions of pounds riding on teams status in the league. Where we are now is a remarkable place all things considered.
Sean Dyche and his squad have worked a miracle to attain the place we now have in the top flight . Ensuring we hang on in there is all that matters.
The cup is a ridiculous, totally non magical thing. Yes, the performance was woeful, but we didn't beat Liverpool and Everton and others at the Turf because we are inept. I fail to understand the appeal of a competition whereby the top teams field weakened sides, yet once they are out,the victorious teams supporters react as if they had slain a dragon. No, they have perhaps knocked out a decent big name team in name only. That wasn't Burnley out there yesterday scrapping for everything with intent, it was a group representing the club and going through the motions until the whistle blew for full time. I think the media expect Dyche to behave as if it was his worst day on earth, the truth is he has got a clear way now to focus on his real job.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:02 pm

This thread is exactly why at the first good opportunity Dyche will be off to bigger and better opportunities.

Our best manager since Potts and this is the thanks he gets after one shock defeat.

How many shocks have we caused under Dyche? City twice. Liverpool. Holidng united home and away. Beating the current champions in both prem seasons. Winning promotion against the odds. Winning the title against the odds.

Theres a saying you reap what you sow. Look at blackburn and bolton.
This user liked this post: addisclaret

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Saxoman wrote:What part of 'Rhodes ain't a prem striker' do you not understand?
You concentrate on league 1 and then league 2. Its where your bound. Let us in in EPL decide on who we think is a good poacher.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:06 pm

If you want to be a WUM better casts are needed.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:13 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:This thread is exactly why at the first good opportunity Dyche will be off to bigger and better opportunities.

Our best manager since Potts and this is the thanks he gets after one shock defeat.

How many shocks have we caused under Dyche? City twice. Liverpool. Holidng united home and away. Beating the current champions in both prem seasons. Winning promotion against the odds. Winning the title against the odds.

How far do you think Dyche can go realisticly?

Zenwisdom
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Zenwisdom » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Nobody wants that on your C.V .
the players who were given a chance did not take it and I've no doubt that they will be shown the door it has made Sean's job easy. UTC

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:How far do you think Dyche can go realisticly?
With us? Top 10 and a cup win is realistic. But we could easily peak below that. Its about him judging it himself.

Coyle didnt do that. He should have took the celtic job if he was to leave. Bigger club than bolton. More potential. Guaranteed success.

There is only so much more that Dyche can achieve realistically here. Other than stability and stagnation.

Hope he stays here forever but for his own career he wont.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:18 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:This thread is exactly why at the first good opportunity Dyche will be off to bigger and better opportunities.

At least you will have someone to blame when he does leave .

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:20 pm

joey13 wrote:At least you will have someone to blame when he does leave .
I wouldnt blame anyone.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:28 pm

As already mentioned, Dyche has built a team to play without possession, and be effective. We bypass our midfield, and therefore the opposition press with the long ball.

Our most obvious weakness is we struggle to be effective when we do have the ball.

Up until Spurs away, Dyche has struggled to set us up when playing away. Our last 3/4 away games would indicate Dyche is slowly adjusting to this.

In very simplistic terms, you need a bit of everything to be a top team. Players that are both technicians and athletes, to open up the opposition in possession, and press intelligently when they don't have it. Spurs would be the best example.

Dyche isn't flexible in his tactical approach, largely because he can't be. The players we have at our disposal don't allow him to be.

We have Defour, but there are few occasions when we're going to get the best out of him, certainly in the Premier League. Had we Defour and Hendrick available yesterday, I really think the result would've been different.

Of course, there is no excuses for yesterday. A pairing of Westwood/Barton has enough to open up a National League defence. Perhaps one positive to be taken out of this debacle, is a midfield comprising of Boyd and Arfield is just not good enough anymore. Not at the level we're now at.

Its quite clear listening to Dyche that he wants the players to have freedom, and the responsibility, to play the ball in a manner they see fit during a game. To mix it up. But it's imperative we have that mix. Yesterday we didn't. The players should recognise when it's not working, and Dyche should implement change from the sidelines if needed.

On the plus side, Dyche won't be going anywhere. Not even if we stay up. Accrington, Lincoln, and our away form has put paid to that.

A second season in the PL will allow us to develop the squad, in both depth and the type of player to suit different tactical needs. Then we will really see how good Dyche is, because he will be expected to be more flexible in his tactical approach before and during a game.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:30 pm

We missed JBG massively.

standishclarets
Been Liked: 26 times

Post by standishclarets » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Thought I would wait until today to post - till I had calmed down!

It was plain at half time that whatever strategy SD had wanted to play in the first half just wasn't working. Okay - play say 10 or 15 minutes in the second and if no better, makes changes. But it wasn't until the 73rd minute that Barnes came on and Vokes went off. Yet, if the tactic was still the long ball, then surely 2 big target men would offer something more of a challenge, especially when Gray just wasn't there yesterday. His touches were awful and his confidence rock bottom.

And I just cannot understand why SD didn't use his third sub. That's what they are there for - put young Agyei on and see what he could do.

And just a word on Arfield. There was a corner in the first half to Lincoln and they had two players ready for a possible short one. Arfield was screaming at the bench, asking which one he should cover. He got nothing back. That doesn't inspire you, does it!

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:52 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:With us? Top 10 and a cup win is realistic. But we could easily peak below that. Its about him judging it himself.

Coyle didnt do that. He should have took the celtic job if he was to leave. Bigger club than bolton. More potential. Guaranteed success.

There is only so much more that Dyche can achieve realistically here. Other than stability and stagnation.

Hope he stays here forever but for his own career he wont.
No, I was asking how high up the ladder you think he would go if he left us?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:04 pm

All the way. He clearly knows how to do a great job with the resources available. What he has done with us is remarkable.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 700 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:46 pm

All the way to where. WBA ?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:59 pm

He could manage at the very top table. And will.

If every team in this league needed a new manager in May, from Everton down theyd be looking at Dyche.

Too left field and unproven currently for Arsenal city united or Chelsea. Wouldnt be totally unrealistic for Liverpool to fancy him

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:03 pm

So you say he can manage at the top and exclude the top 6 clubs...
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Sidney1st wrote:So you say he can manage at the top and exclude the top 6 clubs...
Nice one, Sid :D

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 700 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Dyche is brilliant for Burnley, a perfect fit at this moment in time. I'm glad we have him & hope we keep him.

But this is his peak.

He will only go to a bigger club in the championship trying to achieve promotion.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Sidney1st wrote:So you say he can manage at the top and exclude the top 6 clubs...
He can manage at the top. I think he will. I think even the most ardent Dyche fan wouldnt expect him to manage a top 4 club this year. His next job will be at a bigger club than us and i expect him to progress beyond that.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:16 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Nice one, Sid :D
Thats two of you that didnt read or misinterpreted what I put.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:18 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Thats two of you that didnt read or misinterpreted what I put.
No, I just liked Sidney's comment.
Sometimes it's OK to lighten up a bit.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:37 pm

I couldn't resist saying it, I know full well what you're saying.

Personally I don't think he would get a chance at a top 6 club.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Sidney1st wrote:I couldn't resist saying it, I know full well what you're saying.

Personally I don't think he would get a chance at a top 6 club.
He could make a team a top 6 club. A newcastle. Everton. Villa. Sunderland. Southampton. Etc