Places inbetween Burnley and Blackburn.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Flatline
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Places inbetween Burnley and Blackburn.

Post by Flatline » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:34 pm

1 What made you support Burnley?
2What's it like living next door to Barstewards?
3Are there certain areas that are predominantly one or the other?
4What's it like on match days in the pubs?

Just asking,as i find it very intriguing from someone who lives in Burnley.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 1035 times

Re: Places inbetween Burnley and Blackburn.

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:38 pm

Used to live in Accrington. Very competitive. Good crack most of the time but you always get a few knobs. Lots of other clubs too. Bit of a melting pot (Blue Mink)
This user liked this post: Flatline

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Now in Heywood, different atmosphere. Tend to be a little careful until I've gauged the mood apart from if I'm ever in a pub on an away match day but usually watch at home.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Flatline wrote:1 What made you support Burnley?

Just asking,as i find it very intriguing from someone who lives in Burnley.Don't think I could contain myself living next door to some prick like Saxo! :lol:

1. I got tricked in to supporting Burnley
2. Don't know, never have
3. Not applicable
4. Only go to away matches so always discreet

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Live in Rossendale, I support Burnley because my Dad took me, he went when was younger with my great Uncle in the 70's.

My Grandad was a keen Liverpool fan and my Grandad on my mums side is a keen Blackpool fan.

I have no affiliation with Burnley, it just happens to be the location of the nearest team I support, I suppose. If the club moved to a brand new stadium in Rawtenstall, I'd be chuffed to bits - I don't care much for the town of Burnley. The only time I go is to watch the footy.

Living amongst other supporters is great. Good banter and conversations about our respective clubs. I'd say Rossendale is split equally but probably favouring Burnley FC until you start entering the Hynburn area.

claretbob
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by claretbob » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 am

Living in Clitheroe as you can imagine is a blissful experience at present. The barstewards who gloried in their expensively obtained successes in the nineties and noughties cannot fully comprehend the change that's taken place. They still expect a sugar daddy to come and save them and until then seem to be more interested in playing golf than going anywhere near Ewood. Even 5 years ago thinks could get very lively here for Burnley fans but now the Barstewards seem a beaten lot. Long may it continue!
These 2 users liked this post: Flatline Stproc

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:08 am

HatfieldClaret wrote:1. I got tricked in to supporting Burnley
2. Don't know, never have
3. Not applicable
4. Only go to away matches so always discreet
Out of interest, how did you get tricked HatfieldClaret?

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:22 am

claptrappers_union wrote:Live in Rossendale, I support Burnley because my Dad took me, he went when was younger with my great Uncle in the 70's.

My Grandad was a keen Liverpool fan and my Grandad on my mums side is a keen Blackpool fan.

I have no affiliation with Burnley, it just happens to be the location of the nearest team I support, I suppose. If the club moved to a brand new stadium in Rawtenstall, I'd be chuffed to bits - I don't care much for the town of Burnley. The only time I go is to watch the footy.

Living amongst other supporters is great. Good banter and conversations about our respective clubs. I'd say Rossendale is split equally but probably favouring Burnley FC until you start entering the Hynburn area.
Lost me when you said you don't care for the town of Burnley. :(
I'll now have to file you in the naughty book. ;)

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:28 am

Didn't really answer the questions before so here goes.

1. Going alternate weeks to Burnley and Blackburn it was a case of natural selection. Lived in Haslingden till I was 14 the local coach firm, Fred Kirkhams ran coaches to both grounds. No comparison in the two match-day experiences. The excitement of being in the Cricket Field End and trying to stay there was quite something. The big city teams, came with one thought in mind and that was to take our end. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. At my age I was on the safe side. Wasn't stupid but it was exciting.

2. Didn't matter. At a young age I wasn't as aware of the intensity of the rivalry. I think it has increased during my life time, but then I would, wouldn't I?

3. Not sure, I just know that generally Burnley fans are just better folk, funnier, more reliable and more trustworthy. FACT.

4. When we play each other, the pub it not the most sensible place to be. It is safer at the game.
Last edited by Darnhill Claret on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

HatfieldClaret

Post by HatfieldClaret » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:29 am

Flatline wrote:Out of interest, how did you get tricked HatfieldClaret?
I was 5 years old and living in the middle east. I was asked which football team I supported,

I had never seen a game of football in my (short) life. I said I didn't know.

Where are you from?
Nelson
Where's that?
Near Burnley
You support Burnley then
Ok,.....

I could have said near Manchester etc.... sliding doors.....
These 2 users liked this post: Flatline Stalbansclaret

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:33 am

HatfieldClaret wrote:I was 5 years old and living in the middle east. I was asked which football team I supported,

I had never seen a game of football in my (short) life. I said I didn't know.

Where are you from?
Nelson
Where's that?
Near Burnley
You support Burnley then
Ok,.....

I could have said near Manchester etc.... sliding doors.....
:lol: It worked out in the end. :D

HatfieldClaret

Post by HatfieldClaret » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:39 am

Oh yes, best answer I ever gave !!
This user liked this post: davemanu2000

Covclaret
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Covclaret » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:29 am

Grew up in Accy with Burnley fan Mum and Dad supporting the other lot. Aged 7, dad gave me a list of fixtures for Burnley and Blackburn and said pick a game and I'll take you. So I picked Burnley v Arsenal March 1975. I'm grateful that he took me, but really enjoy winding him up now about how crap they are.

ceborame
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by ceborame » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:06 am

Great Harwood

1. My dad
2. They are w@nkers, best friend supported Liverpool as kids, then all of a sudden he's walking around in a rovers shirt, this was around the early 90's, what happened around then?
3. Harwood is more rovers than burnley
4. They're all closed

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:05 am

1. My dad grew up in Burnley from a very young age so he passed the clarets on to me of course. I live in Accy so want Stanley to do well mind, but I only support Burnley.
2. Never had any trouble around where I live but can imagine it gets lively. Sometimes get grief if I'm in town but as you can imagine that has declined a lot! Went to St Mary's College in Blackburn and barely got a word said even when I wore my Burnley shirt.
3. It's pretty mixed in accy, I think to be honest Rovers fans never wore their shirts all that much although when I was growing up they were a mid table side so never had the title buying gloried over me. If anything I would say they are more defiantly proud now than 5-10 years ago. Always see Burnley shirts here and there and always have.
4. Never had any trouble apart from the Rovers away game in 09 which got a little tense. Go on all the home games so I rarely watch Burnley in a pub I'm accy. Apparently there was aggro on Saturday v Lincoln mind!

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:40 am

Having been born & bred in Burnley, hence the support, I now live in North Yorkshire.

No rovers fans around here, but when watching the away matches in the local club there are many Leeds fans.

Surprisingly, they all seem to admire Burnley. I thought they would be jealous but they are not, they are envious.

That got me thinking about them and I think SD would actually be the perfect manager for Leeds, exactly the kind of commitment they would expect from both players and manager. Not that I want him there mind !

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:16 am

My cousin has moved back up to Waddington from the south, his mum is a massive Rovers fan so I presumed his lad would be going to Ewood.

Lad and him are now Burnley fans, and he says that his school in Clitheroe is majority Burnley fans as well, which is something that I didn't think would be the case.
These 2 users liked this post: bedfords Flatline

claretsintown
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by claretsintown » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:31 am

Born in Halingden in the sixties
Dad supports chicken pluckers
Grandad staunch claret
Luckily for me Grandad sneaked me off when i was seven took me to the Turf for my first game hooked from that day
Dad started taking me to Deadwood hated it.

derryclaret
Been Liked: 185 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by derryclaret » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:41 am

Family moved to Whalley from Dublin when I was four, obviously no connections to either club so the choice was mine when I reached the age of reason and there was only one choice to be made. The year I made this decision?1959/60. The rest as they say is history.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:47 am

Grew up in Ossy. There were quite a few older generation Clarets still around, not many my age though, I think about four of us at school.

There were quite a few Blackburn fans, loads more than us Clarets. But they tend to be the ones who are sound now, the ones who didn't discover football or Ewood in 1992. They hated Burnley obviously and still do, but I've watched plenty of matches in pubs round there and the 'real' Blackburn fans you can have a laugh with. It was the new breed, saxo-style fans who were the mouthy, obnoxious type.

Needless to say, they've all crawled back under their stones now.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:59 am

claptrappers_union wrote:Live in Rossendale, I support Burnley because my Dad took me, he went when was younger with my great Uncle in the 70's.

Also lived in Rossendale all my life and I am of a similar age to you Clapper. Lived in every town in the Valley and I can honestly say apart from the Haslingden area of which is now possibly a 40/60 split Burnley out number Rovers at least 10 to 1. I went to Fearns in the 70s and lived in Bacup. I new one Rovers fan at school who is now dead who I later worked with in Blackburn, and 2 Rovers fans in Bacup a pub Landlord and an undertaker.

The Valley is Burnley and United always has been, always will be. Clarets in the valley class United has our true rivals and I would think it is now 50/50. Rovers don't even come into it, unless you were brought up in the Haslingden area to the west or attended Hassy High

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:21 am

Places in between Burnley and Blackburn

Watford
Bournemouth
Swansea
Middlesborough
Leicester
Hull
Crystal Palace
Sunderland
Newcastle
Brighton
Huddersfield
Reading
Leeds
Sheffield
Fulham
Norwich
Barnsley
Preston
Derby
Cardiff
Ipswich
Brentford
Queens Park
Birmingham
Aston Villa
Nottingham
Wolverhampton
Burton
Bristol and
Wigan
These 26 users liked this post: the_magic_rat nil_desperandum Stproc ClaretTony Andingle Lord Beamish Steve1956 RoystonVasey Redbeard Flatline lrac BleedingClaret levraiclaret Paranoid Rick_Muller Buxtonclaret Quickenthetempo Leisure mkmel Goobs FCBurnley ClaretKent Falcon Dublin7Claret hampsteadclaret BFCBaz

Deardeary
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Deardeary » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:48 am

As an Accringtonian I can say my home town is more or less a straight split and it's great banter, always has been, the way folk get on with each other will amaze some, and we're proud of that.The number of folk who travel to Turf on match days will comfortably beat Stanley home gates, probably the same for Blackburn.The smaller towns that make up Hyndburn are each different. Gt Harwood and Rishton have plenty of Clarets but slightly outnumbered by the "others", Clayton maybe slightly more Clarets, Ossy is more Blackburn.Worked in the Valley for many a year and contrary to what someone stated above, it most definitely is Claret.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:58 am

I live in Ramsbottom....full of plastic Man U fans....

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:59 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Places in between Burnley and Blackburn

Watford
Bournemouth
Swansea
Middlesborough
Leicester
Hull
Crystal Palace
Sunderland
Newcastle
Brighton
Huddersfield
Reading
Leeds
Sheffield
Fulham
Norwich
Barnsley
Preston
Derby
Cardiff
Ipswich
Brentford
Queens Park
Birmingham
Aston Villa
Nottingham
Wolverhampton
Burton
Bristol and
Wigan
Nice one Ralph,very clever :lol:

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:13 am

Darnhill Claret wrote:Didn't really answer the questions before so here goes.

1. Going alternate weeks to Burnley and Blackburn it was a case of natural selection. Lived in Haslingden till I was 14 the local coach firm, Fred Kirkhams ran coaches to both grounds. No comparison in the two match-day experiences. The excitement of being in the Cricket Field End and trying to stay there was quite something. The big city teams, came with one thought in mind and that was to take our end. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. At my age I was on the safe side. Wasn't stupid but it was exciting.

2. Didn't matter. At a young age I wasn't as aware of the intensity of the rivalry. I think it has increased during my life time, but then I would, wouldn't I?

3. Not sure, I just know that generally Burnley fans are just better folk, funnier, more reliable and more trustworthy. FACT.

4. When we play each other, the pub it not the most sensible place to be. It is safer at the game.
I could have written all that. Apart from The Haslingdon bit. I left Burnley in 74 and have lived in Clayton/Harwood ever since. ;)

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Great to here so many fans still in these areas considering our decline in the Eighties. Thought Accrington would of lost loads during the Nineties,must be a real crack nowadays seeing the turnaround with the Chicken Pluckers. :lol:
Give it another couple of decades and the next generations should swing the support even more our way, percentage-wise. :D

newminted
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by newminted » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Brought up and went to school in Oswaldtwistle in the mid 80's. One of only 3 known Clarets at school at the time! Actually saw Bastards 3 times before I ever went to the Turf. But once i did, it just felt right. I guess others will know that thing? Live now in Lower Darwen, one of I think 3 or 4 Clarets on an estate of 100 or so houses, indeed once of a day you could hear matchday Deadwood in the back garden. Kids primary school teacher is also an ex Burnley player. Interesting to note that there seem as many Man City coats/bags at their school as Rovers despite the location.

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:02 pm

newminted wrote:Brought up and went to school in Oswaldtwistle in the mid 80's. One of only 3 known Clarets at school at the time! Actually saw Bastards 3 times before I ever went to the Turf. But once i did, it just felt right. I guess others will know that thing? Live now in Lower Darwen, one of I think 3 or 4 Clarets on an estate of 100 or so houses, indeed once of a day you could hear matchday Deadwood in the back garden. Kids primary school teacher is also an ex Burnley player. Interesting to note that there seem as many Man City coats/bags at their school as Rovers despite the location.
New some good lads from Oswaldtwistle mid 80's,one called Bash who was a ******* fan,sound as a pound.

CBT
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by CBT » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 pm

Flatline wrote:New some good lads from Oswaldtwistle mid 80's,one called Bash who was a ******* fan,sound as a pound.
Bash about 5 foot tall now a Celtic fan?

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:32 pm

CBT wrote:Bash about 5 foot tall now a Celtic fan?
Haven't seen him for 30 years but he's small with dark hair. :)

CBT

Post by CBT » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Aye that's him Lee baxendale top bloke but lost interest in barstewards goes everywhere with a Celtic top on now

CBT

Post by CBT » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Plumber and tiler

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 pm

CBT wrote:Aye that's him Lee baxendale top bloke but lost interest in barstewards goes everywhere with a Celtic top on now
That's the bloke,top lad. :)

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:50 pm

We were on a YTS course in Burnley and they all came over from Blackburn,Oss and Accy.

CBT

Post by CBT » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:03 am

He certainly leaves an impression worked with him on a job in 2000's ish and that was about the time he started going up Glasgow god help em

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:18 am

Bit of a fisticuffs with the Tutor one time, got put on his arse but good effort considering. :lol:

CBT

Post by CBT » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:38 am

He didn't change much then cause we were working down Nantwich and half of Cheshire wanted a piece of him before we'd finished the job haha

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:52 am

Whalley has been liveable since Danny ings scuffed that one in

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:02 am

Top Claret wrote:Also lived in Rossendale all my life and I am of a similar age to you Clapper. Lived in every town in the Valley and I can honestly say apart from the Haslingden area of which is now possibly a 40/60 split Burnley out number Rovers at least 10 to 1. I went to Fearns in the 70s and lived in Bacup. I new one Rovers fan at school who is now dead who I later worked with in Blackburn, and 2 Rovers fans in Bacup a pub Landlord and an undertaker.

The Valley is Burnley and United always has been, always will be. Clarets in the valley class United has our true rivals and I would think it is now 50/50. Rovers don't even come into it, unless you were brought up in the Haslingden area to the west or attended Hassy High
I was at Fearns in 90's when Rovers won the league. In my year there was about 3 Blackburn fans who went to Ewood every week. There where dozens of Burnley fans... the rest were Manchester United (none of them went) but that was the team to support if you opted for an easy life.

I agree there a larger ratio Burnley to Blackburn but I didn't realise how many Blackburn fans there were until I left school, and especially in 2001 when we met in the league for the first time.

The night before the game, being in the local pub was fractious and it inevitably kicked off between rival fans.

You don't see many Rovers shirts in the valley these days.

Do we know each other TopClaret?
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

martintheaker
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by martintheaker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:05 am

1. It's in the blood.
2. Lived in Great Harwood for 48 years and just now.......Fantastic
3. Great Harwood has always been split. At the moment, most B@st@rds have gone back behind their front doors into hiding. Definitely fewer shirts around town.
4. No idea, I'm at the match - and I can't remember the last time I went into a pub in Great Harwood.

StevieP
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by StevieP » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Born and schooled in Burnley but never lived there, grew up in Accy, worked in Ossy, Blackburn and Accy and always enjoyed the banter. When I worked in Blackburn in the 90's there were more Clarets than Rovers fans in the workforce.

I remember watching the 5-0 defeat in Canine club in Accy town centre, the steward was a Rovers fan and he'd had a few correct score bets for them to win, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0. The 5th goal was actually a blessing.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:Didn't really answer the questions before so here goes.

I am originally from Blackburn , currently on Missionary work in Preston
I fully agree with 3) it is most true

I support Burnley because I am lucky-no family connection at all

Cornwallclaret
Been Liked: 102 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Post by Cornwallclaret » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Read
Dad and mum both originally from Burnley /Padiham so 'going town' was always Burnley and dad was a claret but stopped going after 76, bus route was the 227 into Burnley so easy access, Read was all Burnley growing up,no Blackburn at all but went to school in clitheroe and was outnumbered completely there,was lots of banter,no aggro though. Moved to Cornwall in 84 and on visits ' home' in the nineties noticed how Read had changed to Blackburn
Never come across a bar steward fan in Cornwall in 30 years down here,even during their glory years but have met and come across dozens of Clarets ,even during the awful eighties.
Only ever watched the Clarets v Blackburn once in a pub,or should I say bar..in Tenerife ,the 5-0 thumping we got, was only me in there and one other bloke who never said a word till after the game where he said he was a Blackburn fan but likes Burnley and used to alternate going Ewood and the turf every week in his younger days :(

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:02 pm

That 5-0 thumping was a terrible experience,the train back was interesting though,seeing how many got off at Rishton and Church.When we got to Accrington, nearly everyone got off and most of them from Burnley,going for a good night out with the locals! :)

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:19 pm

Live in Great Harwood
1, My dad was a Claret so had no choice but I wouldn't have it any other way
2, at the moment brilliant in the past excruciatingly painful
3, Great Harwood is probably 60/40% maybe even as much as 75/25% Bastards
4, don't know I am mostly always at the match. Loved going back after the 2-1 at Bastardland after so many years of pain watching the faces of the fallen and the sudden realisation that Burnley are now top dogs was tops.

After the 5-0 at Deadwood I went out and had to deal with Dunny and a few other ******* players dancing around wasn't easy but character building all the same which makes the now all the better

Flatline

Post by Flatline » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:46 pm

Rammy1968 wrote:Live in Great Harwood
1, My dad was a Claret so had no choice but I wouldn't have it any other way
2, at the moment brilliant in the past excruciatingly painful
3, Great Harwood is probably 60/40% maybe even as much as 75/25% Bastards
4, don't know I am mostly always at the match. Loved going back after the 2-1 at Bastardland after so many years of pain watching the faces of the fallen and the sudden realisation that Burnley are now top dogs was tops.

After the 5-0 at Deadwood I went out and had to deal with Dunny and a few other ******* players dancing around wasn't easy but character building all the same which makes the now all the better
Love reading these stories, how the tide has turned.Worked in a few Factories in the 90's and how they tried lording it over us.Like you say character building,where are they now! :D

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Flatline wrote:Where are they now! :D
Living in Lower Darwen, spending their existences sniffing coke, drinking cheap booze and dreaming of supporting a proper Club!!! ;)