Art

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Re: Art

Post by bob-the-scutter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:30 pm

About 40 years ago I Got offered a Lowry for £100 with all the certificates of authentication, it belonged to my boss at the time and it was when we were press ganged into helping him move house, but seeing as I was only earning about £40 a week it was a little much so I passed on it.

Now i`ll retire sometime in my 70s :cry:

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Goalposts wrote:i remember seeing that in Amsterdam and was amazed at the sheer size of it,,,it is seriously huge,
as to my favourite, the head of medusa in the Uffizi florence by carravagio, it just follows you round the room, mesmorising
Yeah we've been to the Rijksmuseum. It's magnificent. We fell unlucky with the Uffizi. Couldn't guarantee a date so turned up on speck and the queue
was horrendous. It's not going anywhere, fairly sure we'll make it one day. I'll check yours out, don't know it.

Just been on.i didn't know it. Seriously scary, there was a Rubens version that could put you off your tea.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Hardly any pictures on this thread.

A view of Sydney Harbour by the incomparable Arthur Streeton.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:21 pm

It still shocks me, and it shouldn't by now, how fantastic art is in the flesh, as opposed to seeing photographs of it. I remember seeing The Lacemaker by Vermeer and being knocked out by it, partly because it was so small which I hadn't really expected. Recently I saw a big show of Francis Picabia's work, not someone I'd particularly taken much notice of in the past, but crikey they were good in the flesh. I remember seeing a big show of Chaim Soutine's once and being totally floored. The OP asks about being moved to tears. I very nearly was by the Boccioni triptych States of Mind. I can't explain why, and I certainly didn't expect to be so moved, but I just stood in front of it and something about it just had me. The thing is, you have to see stuff for real and not just pictures of it and then even the least promising of art can be surprisingly great.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 pm

I would imagine one of ( or probably ) the most important piece of Art work in our area is right on our door step at Townley Hall.

The piece by Johann Zoffany of Charles Townley in his home surrounded by his collection is truly outstanding.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:40 pm

Nonayforever wrote:I would imagine one of ( or probably ) the most important piece of Art work in our area is right on our door step at Townley Hall.

The piece by Johann Zoffany of Charles Townley in his home surrounded by his collection is truly outstanding.
There's also the "internationally renowned" collection of Tiffany Glass in Haworth (Park) Art Gallery, Accrington. Interesting story how it arrived there from New York.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 pm

KateR wrote:is Art in this case just limited to paintings/drawings? I like sculpture also, Like Lorenzo Quinn very much son of the famous actor and made a name for himself in the art world.

Brother in-law been buying a few Bob Dylan's but not my taste, however, do like a lot of his music.
Hi Kate, your brother-in-law has got great taste. Bob Dylan's "Drawn Blank" series is very popular - all the limited edition prints sell very well.

I first learnt about Dylan's art 10 years, or so, ago, when it was displayed in the centre of Burnley - think was Howarth Gallery, St James, St.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:06 pm

Lot's of great art. Lot's of great galleries. My "money no object" collection would be similar in scale to Peggy Guggenheim's in Venice (you've got to have a great location* if "money no object": start with Impressionists, then some key Van Gogh and Cezanne works; Picasso, maybe, David Hockney (I think I first saw Hockney in Manchester in 1969/70). Strong colours, big impact pieces.

*Location would be "hidden" in the landscape at the top of Trough of Bowland, or on a "bend in the river" along the Hodder. Discounted access for Burnley season ticket holders.

We can all dream! ;)

Claretlad
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 216 times

Post by Claretlad » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:48 pm

Always liked ...By Mead and Stream .....Benjamin Williams Leader from the first time I saw it at Towneley Hall when I was a little lad ....It's a bit to big to hang on my wall though...

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 pm

We visit Castle Howard (near York) quite a bit - I'm not an expert on art by any means but there's some unbelievably impressive pieces in there. Can't remember who the artist is but there's a collection of his work where 1 piece is worth 'well over a million pound' - said one of the tour guides.

Would advise a visit in the summer as the grounds are equally impressive.

Also Mr Howard is a Burnley fan

john'sroseyspecs
Been Liked: 364 times

Post by john'sroseyspecs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Some of the threads on here amaze me ( in a good way! ) I thought we were all supposed to be thick northern numpties? If photography is allowed, Alastair Lee's images of Pendle are superb.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:03 am

'Rain,Steam and Speed' by Turner, 'The Night Cafe' by Vincent and Nighthawks' by Hopper would be in my collection.

Cliviger Academicals
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Cliviger Academicals » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:32 am

[quote="cricketfield73"]Nighthawks by Edward Hopper. I always find this painting captivating. The innocence of the scene with the intriguing mystery of exactly what's going on.

I agree. In fact most of Hopper's work is enigmatic, you wonder what his characters are thinking. His paintings influenced many art directors/production designers of 'Film Noir' in the late 1940' and 50's.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:56 am

Whilst visiting the Musee D'Orsay I was surprised by the Origin of the World by Gustave Courbet. I couldn't stop and look at it for too long as my wife was with me.....

The almost life size painting shows rather different hair styles in those days. You'll have to google it if you don't know the painting.

Seriously, the Musee D'Orsay is awesome and well worth spending a day there if in Paris.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:47 pm

I spent 5 days in Jackson Hole, March time frame a few years ago, toured the national park for several days and awesome scenery plus seeing the wild life in a natural habitat was so good, visited Old Faithful to so a very good break, one day we stayed around the town and was surprised at how many galleries there were. One in particular had quite a few life size bronzes outside which were impressive, a full size grizzly bear was fabulous. Inside I found a bronze and got excited by it but was not excited by the price tag :( We also saw a black and white picture of a Bison coming through a blizzard that he really liked but was $20K + so gave it a miss. However, I sourced and found the print of it, bought and had it framed, very large size and it has a pride of place at the top of the stairs, gave it to him for Christmas and he was a happy bunny. Have still not got my bronze yet though, but one day I will, just need to find the right one for the right price in the right place, timing is everything.

Hubby has couple of Paul Kempton's of London, I have a Bob Barker (thunder in my heart) which he does not like, lol

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:50 pm

I wonder what Fabien Marcaccio would make of Tracy Emin's oeuvre or even what he might make literally of her:

http://paintantscorporation.com/site/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Quite recently (sept) a picture which was described as a Stubbs copy was put up for auction by Christie's in New York with an estimated value of 5,000 dollars.

By coincidence a dealer from London who had carried out some restoration work on " the original " many years earlier, noticed the picture coming up for auction & flew over to New York, with his inside information, with the intention of bidding for the works.

As the auction started, the bidding soon rose above the 5,000 dollar estimate, and quickly rose to 100,000 dollars.

The auctioneer was alert to the fact that Christie's had obviously made a mistake with the provenance of the work of art and remarked as much whilst the auction was in progress.

The lot eventually sold for 200,000 dollars with the buyer from London prevailing. The successful buyer, who knew it was one of a pair, has put the work up for re- auction for £750,000 estimate.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 pm

"The pictoriality of the visual field of the sensory experience..."

"I told you not to mess."
"I told you not to mess'.jpg
"I told you not to mess'.jpg (290.75 KiB) Viewed 2079 times

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:47 pm

"I Liked the artwork so much, I made it."

Pstotto

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:11 pm

RMutt wrote:It still shocks me, and it shouldn't by now, how fantastic art is in the flesh, as opposed to seeing photographs of it. I remember seeing The Lacemaker by Vermeer and being knocked out by it, partly because it was so small which I hadn't really expected. Recently I saw a big show of Francis Picabia's work, not someone I'd particularly taken much notice of in the past, but crikey they were good in the flesh. I remember seeing a big show of Chaim Soutine's once and being totally floored. The OP asks about being moved to tears. I very nearly was by the Boccioni triptych States of Mind. I can't explain why, and I certainly didn't expect to be so moved, but I just stood in front of it and something about it just had me. The thing is, you have to see stuff for real and not just pictures of it and then even the least promising of art can be surprisingly great.
Fully agree. I visited the National Gallery, London, specifically to look at van Eyck's 'Arnolfini Portrait'. I'd walked passed it on numerous previous visits because portraits don't really interest me but I'd seen a television programme about it (Making Masterpieces: From Eggs to Oil). I wasn't expecting how small it was yet unbelievably detailed. After looking at that then going to the Impressionists they looked so crude, although of course they work in other ways.