Car leasing or garage purchase?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
clitheroeclaret2
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Car leasing or garage purchase?

Post by clitheroeclaret2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 am

Thinking of changing motor, quite like the Renault Captur.
Never done the leasing side of things but been advised might be a better option than messing around with garages/salesmen
Anyone any advice or opinions, know of any good deals or best people/leasing companies to deal with?

MiltonKeynesClaret93
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Re: Car leasing or garage purchase?

Post by MiltonKeynesClaret93 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:18 am

Only advice I can offer is don't trust the reviews of a lot of leasing companies.
Most of them have their staff write great reviews to keep their average up when in reality they're bobbins.
A lot of manufacturers offer personal leasing through their dealerships so it may be worth enquiring directly with them.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:27 am

http://www.dbvehicles.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Go and talk to Dave Burnett.he is a local lad and will do you a good deal....based in the newish office complex opposite Sycamore Farm down Lowerhouse.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:33 am

I know people who swear that leasing is the way ahead, and vice versa, those who like to buy a car and run it forever! All depends on how many miles you do, whether you want a new car every 12-24 months and many other factors!

Oldparkwood
Been Liked: 127 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Oldparkwood » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:01 am

Hi Clitheroe
I have leased a few vehicles to fellow clarets on here
Give me a call and I'll happily talk cars or Burnley with you
http://www.swiftlease.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 01254 411411 ask for Dan

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:01 am

This Whatcar link gives you a good guide of leasing costs and gives you the best dealer price.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/deal ... uel=petrol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:20 pm

tom210 wrote:Hi Clitheroe
I have leased a few vehicles to fellow clarets on here
Give me a call and I'll happily talk cars or Burnley with you
http://www.swiftlease.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 01254 411411 ask for Dan
I'll give a thumbs up to Swiftlease. Had two cars from them and very pleased with the price and the service.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Look at carwow for a new car (not leased). Just enter the details of the car and several dealers will quote you discounted prices by email.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Mate of mine does the private contract hire thing.
He pays a deposit then monthly payments for three years before returning the car. If he wants another car, he has to pay another deposit and then monthly payments again. He never owns the car and it has to be returned in mint condition or there could be a further payment to make.
Basically how it works is this, the price of the new car less his deposit, subtract the value that the car is expected to be worth after three years providing it has only done a certain amount of miles, then divide the figure by the 36 to arrive at his monthly payment over the three years.
On top of his monthly payments he needs to save the deposit for his next car if he decides to do the same again and not take the option of purchasing the car outright after the contract period.
Not for me I'm afraid. I like to own my vehicles.
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretEngineer Jakubclaret Right_winger

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:46 pm

I ran an Audi A5 through my business - on a business lease where you can claim 50% of the VAT. It was a 2 year lease (10k miles per year) - it went back with 54k miles on it. Also, when the fella came to collect it from Audi / VW he went over it with a fine toothed comb - he found scratches that weren't even there - at one point he made my lie down on the road so he could show me one under the rear bumper. He tried to charge me for 'out of spec tyres' - he said they were snow tyres and weren't allowed - I had to point out they 'all weather tyres' as stated on the tyre wall.... Not a pleasant experience tbh. Before that I had a Saab on the same terms but without any problems at the end.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Just picked up my first ever lease car last week from Nationwide Vehicle Contracts. I'd always owned my own before, however mine was getting old and needed a few things doing, plus it's not great on fuel economy or tax as it's a beast.

What I would advise is to work it all out over the lease period, e.g if it is 36 months, weigh up all the costs of the lease car including fuel, insurance, fees and servicing. Then compare that with running your own, inlcuding costs of fuel, insurance, repairs and servicing, and you could also do the same if you were thinkin of buying a new one. Once you've worked those out, take off any credits at the end of the lease term, e.g. nothing for the lease car as you'll be giving it back, but you'll have a value of any you own. Then work out the total each option costs you.

I used this method for a while, until I found the right deal. Now I have the new lease car, which is almost as quick as my old one but has double the fuel economy and no repair worries as it's in warranty, and I've also kept my old one while I decide what to do with it. Over the 48 month period, it'll cost only about £10 a month more to drive a new car than a 15 year old one.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:47 pm

No Ney Never wrote:Mate of mine does the private contract hire thing.
He pays a deposit then monthly payments for three years before returning the car. If he wants another car, he has to pay another deposit and then monthly payments again. He never owns the car and it has to be returned in mint condition or there could be a further payment to make.
Basically how it works is this, the price of the new car less his deposit, subtract the value that the car is expected to be worth after three years providing it has only done a certain amount of miles, then divide the figure by the 36 to arrive at his monthly payment over the three years.
On top of his monthly payments he needs to save the deposit for his next car if he decides to do the same again and not take the option of purchasing the car outright after the contract period.
Not for me I'm afraid. I like to own my vehicles.
Agree with that assessment & the way it's worked out I'm the same. But you could argue that he does own the car during the rental period for all intent & purposes providing the payments are kept up there can't recall the car the only thing he can't do is sell it.

ceborame
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by ceborame » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:10 pm

@tom210

What's the position with taking out a lease but my partner will be the driver of the vehicle ?

Thanks

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:04 pm

If you don't do a lot of miles and are happy to keep a car for more than 2 years it's better than buying new and losing through depreciation. If you do a lot of miles and want to change frequently then buy second hand

cutsy123
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by cutsy123 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:08 pm

DONT use XLCR in colne. Set of 2hats