credit to andre...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mrhungryone
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 76 times

credit to andre...

Post by mrhungryone » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Not much credits going to andre and his continued improvrment at premiership level....a previous thred questioned his ability at this level,he took a confident penalty today and scored a quality second.sureley we need to be singing this guys praise instead of bemoaning certain aspects of his game,we seem to be moaning about robinson and other negatives on todays result at swansea.with out him we would be buggered.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: credit to andre...

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:14 pm

I think there's a ban on giving him credit on here.

His detractors aren't going to give him any for scoring twice today it seems.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:14 pm

He must read this forum Hungry,I'm sure he cupped his ears to the Burnley fans after scoring today.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:20 pm

The last 2 games have been the best in his last 6-8. Ironically it has also been the ones where his touch and control has been excellent.

If he gets the ball under control the rest of his game becomes easier.
These 2 users liked this post: minnieclaret FactualFrank

Archie Claret
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by Archie Claret » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Steve, it's better than cupping his wotsits!

ablueclaret
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by ablueclaret » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Gray is the difference between us staying up and sinking, he is a prize asset.
This user liked this post: mrhungryone

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Archie Claret wrote:Steve, it's better than cupping his wotsits!
:D
These 2 users liked this post: Frenchclaret Archie Claret

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:34 pm

ablueclaret wrote:Gray is the difference between us staying up and sinking, he is a prize asset.
Indeed he is,although a lot of people on here think Peter Crouch is a better option. :roll:

mrhungryone

Post by mrhungryone » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Steve1956 wrote:He must read this forum Hungry,I'm sure he cupped his ears to the Burnley fans after scoring today.
Mmmm....spotted that. Having seen threds on our supposed 'worst players' another negative on players whos value was nothing but then again so were their wages no doubt .i think we need to focus on the quality we have going into next season. Sean dyche is the best thing to happen to burnley in years.andre gray is imo a quality striker and can cut it in the premiership.lets give him the praise he deserves.next season will bring new faces and some will depart, but the players we have have ,have all played a part this and other seasons and got us where we are no matter how **** you think they are.utc

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1567 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:36 pm

I thought he was saying 'I can't hear you' to the fans when he scored, he also spent a lot of time looking up to a private box during warm up. Might have turned up his performance for his missus or posse of mates?

Did well today, it would be amazing to see all our strikers flourish , as I'm sure they would with better service. Vokes isn't worth playing if we don't get crosses in to him and gray needs low balls through for him to chase, we do neither.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Yep scored the penalty and prior to that his deflected shot on the turn forced Fabianski into a fantastic save. Also had a good headed chance as he got in front of his marker but heading is not really his strong point. Scored a great goal and almost set up Vokes with a ball across the six yard box. Kept the Swansea centre backs pretty well occupied and closed down relentlessly for most of the game. Great performance and almost squeezed us a point or three.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:55 pm

Someone alongside him who could accurately play the ball into channels for him to run onto would really be an asset.Real potential.

mrhungryone

Post by mrhungryone » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Watching the the championship on tv and steve mclaren bleating as per usual,to think we played derby in a massive championship game in our first under sd promotion and spanked em at home ...been relegated and bounced back up since while they and others are still floundering,same old same old from mcarthy and holloway two good guys but yesterdays men now.oh happy days, long may it continue. In sd we trust!

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:36 pm

He' the best striker we have. Wish we had a better midfield to set him up more often and another striker who could score as many.

mrhungryone

Post by mrhungryone » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:56 pm

Stayingup wrote:He' the best striker we have. Wish we had a better midfield to set him up more often and another striker who could score as many.
Im sure sd will have someone lined up.. sam could have made it 1..3 off andres pass.

clentclaret
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by clentclaret » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:39 pm

Brilliant today and he was the only one who was decent. First half he closed down players whereas cokes just walked around. Unlucky with his deflected shot. 2 goals were deserved and he was the only one who didn't deserve to be on the losing team. Hopefully confidence back for end of season, important for us staying up

California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by California Colner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:36 am

I have been very critical about Andre this season with his ball control.
Today's game at Swansea was his best game this year.
Held the ball up well and ran his socks off all the game.
Well done Andre my hats off to you
This user liked this post: bobinho

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:50 am

His ban was the best thing that happened to him. Before the ban his hold up play was hopeless but after sitting out and figuring his tactical issues his hold up play on the whole has been excellent considering the scraps he feeds on. Would it be better if he had better control and could pass more accurately, of course, but then he wouldn't be playing for us.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:30 am

Me too California. And I didn't see the whole game yesterday, just the goals here in goa.

Delighted for him if he's had a good game. Scoring from open play will do wonders for his confidence. Hope he continues in this form. As already pointed out, if we want the best from him, we have to play to his strengths.

A little out of touch here, but someone mentioned crouch would be a better option? Can't see it myself, if we can't play to grays strengths most of the time, or vokes', then can't see us changing things to suit crouch.

As an aside it seems we struggle to know exactly what to do with both vokes AND gray on the field. Play the wrong ball to gray, and no width for a decent cross for vokes. Maybe the solution is a replacement for either???

Anyway, well done Andre, keep it up lad.

Yearofthefox
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Yearofthefox » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:44 am

Thought he was our best player today...at times the rest looked like we were just chasing shadows.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:49 am

Said it for weeks - we need to get Andre tied down to a longer contract.

Get someone playing off him in the Sheringham mould who can play him in, perhaps get Defour at his best next season too, and Gray has all the tools to 'do a Vardy'.

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:53 am

Tottenham interested in buying him at the end of the season. They obviously see his potential.

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:02 am

clentclaret wrote:Brilliant today and he was the only one who was decent. First half he closed down players whereas cokes just walked around. Unlucky with his deflected shot. 2 goals were deserved and he was the only one who didn't deserve to be on the losing team. Hopefully confidence back for end of season, important for us staying up
He had a great game again today considering that once again the supply was really poor. I am big fan, he is strong, fast, and a natural goal scorer. Been saying for a while, that he will easily finish in double figures, despite his disrupted season, poor service and his first in the prem - impressive.

The point that he closed down players is good one, this is part of his game and he unsettles defenders with his hard work. Hoping we can find a quality strike partner for him next season which could help him develop into an even better player. He will score a big number and be worth a awful lot of money. Buying Andre was a great piece of business.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:07 am

Along with Keane and Mee the only one to come out with any credit yesterday.

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:11 am

Heathclaret wrote:Tottenham interested in buying him at the end of the season. They obviously see his potential.
Let's hope that doesn't happen. We need to build the team around him.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:14 am

A very good player showing real signs of achieving his potential at this level.
He shouldn't be too disturbed by being heavily criticised by some of the oh-so-loyal and oh-so-knowledgeable posters on here, he's in good company:
Robinson, Heaton, Ward, Mee, Lowton, Flanagan, Defour, Hendrick, Boyd, Brady, Marney, Westwood and, yesterday, Vokes have all been decreed as being poor players at some time or another this season. :roll:

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:19 am

3putt wrote:Let's hope that doesn't happen. We need to build the team around him.
TBH, like Vardy, I don't think he's good enough for a top six side, but he's certainly good enough for a team in the top half.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Decades
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Decades » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:21 am

Heathclaret wrote:Tottenham interested in buying him at the end of the season. They obviously see his potential.
Not just Tottenham, apparently...

http://londonfootballnews.co.uk/transfe ... uthampton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:23 am

Gray has done ok this season but he'd have to improve a lot to be anywhere near Spurs' starting eleven.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:29 am

And I think this is exactly why Andre Gray attracts more than his fair share of criticism on here. He undoubtedly has potential. We know he can score goals. We know he is quick. But therein lies the problem. We know he CAN do it, but it has been all too inconsistent. In pre-season he scored an absolute belter against Rangers. Against Sunderland at home he looked like he wouldn't miss. He scored an excellent goal against Liverpool, and took his chance excellently yesterday against Swansea. The official stats on his pace are there for everyone to see. He's in the top 10 of PL players.

But mixed in with all this is the all too regular sight of him being beaten to the ball by a slower player. Losing the ball consistently when it's played into him. Missing chance after chance when you know someone like Jermaine Defoe would have bagged a hatrick.

He is now 25, although he is only in his 3rd season at a league club, and obviously his first in the premier league. Despite that, it is easy to see why so many fans, myself included get frustrated with him. He often seems to start his run a second late, making it easy for slower players to get ahead of him. He strays offside way too often. His touch in general is just as bad as it was 18 months ago. His finishing consistency hasn't changed. At 25 you would expect most strikers to be really crafting their game, ready to hit their peak in the next 2-3 years.

For all the raw ingredients Gray has, we are still to see the final dish. He has mitigating circumstances, accepted. But all too often it appears as if the raw ingredients are still raw ingredients. You occasionally get a whiff of what it might become, but a week later it disappears.

I know there will be plenty who disagree with this, and frankly, I think the coaching team and our tactics are mainly responsible. But I stand firm when I say that the reason Gray gets so much attention on this board is because he frustrates people. Not because he is a bad player, but because he could be so much better.
This user liked this post: Jel

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:31 am

Agree he frustrates at times but he is a very good goal scorer as his record shows. Plus he himself openly admits the areas he needs to work on.

mrhungryone

Post by mrhungryone » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:33 am

Well along with others I like to think I can spot a good un! And some days we all have a bad day at the office.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:34 am

Is Deeney any taller as he seems to score a number of headers which Gray doesn't?

mrhungryone

Post by mrhungryone » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:40 am

We have vokes and keano for that it's part of their game...Andre plays it on the floor that's his strength heading not in is locker really is it.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:58 am

Deenie 5cm taller according to Wikipedia. Even so, being a good header of the ball is not about height. It can help, but it's mostly about timing.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:27 am

We have two very good strikers in Andre and Vokes very different players,ones got good pace and power and is good with his feet.
The other is powerful and strong in the box, good header of the ball and is good at tracking back to help out cause we have to
Problems are they dont often get the service they deserve and you cant criticize them cause if the pair get the quality of service that established premier league teams supply then it makes them.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
This user liked this post: mrhungryone

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Agree he frustrates at times but he is a very good goal scorer as his record shows. Plus he himself openly admits the areas he needs to work on.
Gray is our best option for goals st this level. Only option really. We need another good striker with him and we need badly and have done for ages s good defensive midfielder.

What frustrates me is conceding late headed goals.

mrhungryone

Post by mrhungryone » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:32 pm

A great headed goal yesterday tbh...even though there was a push on ben mee..and again he put in a good shift!

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Agree with Stayinup (post 2, I think) that Gray is our best and only option in terms
of scoring goals.

I feel we don't create enough chances for him and he's still learning but improving
albeit prone to getting frustrated.
But he's the one that is likely to bag a winner for us and keep us up.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a dozen or so goals which for his first season in the
Premier League would be a pretty good.

I do hope he doesn't leave and we can hold onto him and get a few more in who
can play alongside him and/or create a few more chances for him.

If we do manage to stay up then I'm sure Dyche will improve the team.
We need another forward, pace and a couple of decent wingers for starters.

If he did manage 12 goals or so then I wouldn't let him go for less than 20m.

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:36 pm

:|
Roosterbooster wrote:Deenie 5cm taller according to Wikipedia. Even so, being a good header of the ball is not about height. It can help, but it's mostly about timing.
Exactly. Watch Ben Mee get up and head it. Timing.

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Longside4evr wrote:We have two very good strikers in Andre and Vokes very different players,ones got good pace and power and is good with his feet.
The other is powerful and strong in the box, good header of the ball and is good at tracking back to help out cause we have to
Problems are they dont often get the service they deserve and you cant criticize them cause if the pair get the quality of service that established premier league teams supply then it makes them.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
I like a lot about Sam Vokes but not a good enough finisher at this level.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Stayingup wrote:I like a lot about Sam Vokes but not a good enough finisher at this level.
Tell that to the National Belgian team with the proper service he will hit the onion bag