Play like that next week

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Play like that next week

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

and we'll win no doubt

BUT please stop singing "how **** must you be we're winning away" - twice we've lost since you started singing it :( :lol:
These 5 users liked this post: Murger RingoMcCartney The Enclosure FactualFrank IanMcL

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Re: Play like that next week

Post by NRC » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:56 am

not if we don't increase our concentration levels in injury time, and not if SD makes bizarre substitution choices. It was crying out for Brady on the left from 60 minutes...

But in general, yes, it was a much more accomplished performance. Mind you, Sunderland are not ball players so an entirely different kettle of fish. They're shoite mind, so we really do need to look at ourselves if we don't win it
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:16 am

Problem is we might not be able to play like that next week.

Sunderland will try and hurt us with set pieces and the ugly style of football, which seems the style we struggle with. We are ok with the teams that try and play through us as we can remain organised and work hard.

I think Sunderland will let us have more of the ball, and try and do us at our own game of nick one then defend for their lives.
Sadly we seem more lost when we have the ball and time to think.

I would snap your hand off at a point now.

Grimsby Claret
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Grimsby Claret » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 am

"I would snap your hand off at a point now."MACCA
I want a win at Sunderland. Fed up with going to away games (didn't go yesterday though.) hoping to say" I was there when we won away."
Wonder if we will bring a T shirt out with that printed on the front when we finally do.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:29 am

Posted this on another thread, but as much as the OP's logic is sound, you can't ignore that we're consistently running opposition close away from home, without quite doing enough to get points.

We've lost 7 of the last 8 away games by a single goal. After nearly every one of those someone has said "If we play like that next week...".

Our results would suggest that we actually need to improve, not maintain the same standard of away performances.

It might be fine margins, but it's the brief lapses in concentration or the snatching at chances where we're falling short.
Last edited by agreenwood on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:34 am

We will beat Sunderland.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 am

There is no doubt we're playing better away from home than earlier in the season, and we only lose by one goal now.

But there is a sad inevitability about our away results, and I fear the worst at Sunderland.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:36 am

I don't see why supporters should fear the worst against Sunderland when we didn't lose against Hull who are in much better form. Likewise Boro.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:37 am

More composure is needed. Yesterday the board went up for 1 minute injury time and immediately you could sense the panic and we kept giving them the ball leading to yet another conceded goal. All we needed to do was to keep hold of the ball and see the half out.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:06 am

Away from home we need to find not only that 'different way of winning', but also a 'different way of not losing'. I have no complaints about effort, etc. Lose those last minute goals conceded and we're europa league in only our first season back in the premier league.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 am

Logic states if we play like we have every away game then we will lose.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley_Gal ClaretEngineer

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:27 am

I think we have become a lot more comfortable with the ball in recent games. Earlier in the season it seemed like we were scared of the opposition away from home and play seemed to be just about hoofing it anywhere - especially after we had gone behind. Recent games have seen us vary our play and try to move the ball out, even occasionally taking on a man in midfield. We still play lots of longer balls but they are usually more aimed than lumped nowadays. When you have a Gray you need to put the ball into those spaces behind defenders and that means using a longer ball.

I suspect we will get an 'ugly' win rather than a good to watch win but it will still get the media created monkey off our backs.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:06 pm

It's not a media created monkey, we did that ourselves by the fact that we have only drawn 2 away games and lost the rest. We are in danger of accumulating the lowest away points total since Derby County's 3 points the last time they were in the Premier League. That is the cold truth of it. You can't keep saying we were robbed here and unlucky there. The only way the media will turn their attention elsewhere is if we win away. If we can't get at least one away win from Sunderland, Boro, Palace and Bournemouth ( I've already written the Everton game off) we probably deserve to go down.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:51 pm

We really need to stop hoofing the ball all the time.

Our first goal yesterday was great, quick interchange of passes (on the floor +movement into space) and a good ball on the floor into the box = great goal from Barnes.

This prehistoric style of ours is going to have to be adapted very quickly if were going to stay up.

You can see Dyche asking for the hoof ball on the sidelines all the time with his hand signals, pretty embarrassing really.

Brady anywhere other than left wing is madness, he can't be expected to track back all the time either, hes supposed to be an attacking player!

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:12 am

As all nightclubbers will tell you. Never plan for next week. There is no 'next week.'

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 am

This is Sunderlands do or die match. Most people outside the club have written them off already but Moyes would be doing a poor job if the squad didn't believe there was hope of survival. With that in mind, I think it'll be a different Sunderland we face than the one we've beaten quite easily. If they start well and get the crowd behind them it'll be a tough match.
That said we've more than enough to beat them, but I think killing their spirit with the first goal is pretty important.