ARTICLE: Lord sees off challenger Bates

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32541 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

ARTICLE: Lord sees off challenger Bates

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:31 am

When a future Premier League chairman was shown the door at Turf Moor

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/lord-sees-o ... nger-bates

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: ARTICLE: Lord sees off challenger Bates

Post by CleggHall » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:52 am

Bob Lord versus Ken Bates?
Devil or the deep blue sea?
Search me, I can't make my mind up on this one but both are typical of the so-called successful businessmen who seek to run our football clubs.

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:54 am

I suppose it always begs the question – did Bob Lord do the right thing in keeping him out of Turf Moor?

You seriously ask that?

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am

As it's turned out, yes he did. The Lord legacy - mentality - still survives arguably even if, thankfully, a little watered down. Hence our superb position on and off the field.
Some may argue we have a small-town mentality - I don't think so, I think the club are very shrewdly laying down the foundations for an even brighter future, being part of the Premier League circus but very much on our terms.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 am

yorkyclaret wrote:I suppose it always begs the question – did Bob Lord do the right thing in keeping him out of Turf Moor?

You seriously ask that?
Was just a question that each needs to answer themselves.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 682 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 pm

"I suppose it always begs the question – did Bob Lord do the right thing in keeping him out of Turf Moor?"

I think that's one of those hypothetical questions which is very tough to answer CT.

Bates was just as much a controversial character as our Bob and remember that Lord remained chairman at Burnley for a another 17 years after the failed Bates' bid during which time lots of good things happened at Turf Moor even though towards the end that was certainly not the case.

I suppose the moral of the story was.......Don't mess with Bob Lord.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:10 pm

It was said at the time of the Munich disaster that BL was unkind to United.

The Football League suggested that other clubs should help MU with players.
Lord said Burnley were quite prepared to do so, but also said we were not prepared
to "wreck our First Division side in order to help Old Trafford regain it's feet."
He reminded people that "we in Burnley have not the scope surrounding United in the city of Manchester."

United tried to buy Albert Cheeseborough, Lord told them where to go and this, i believe,
sparked the infamous "Teddy boys" incident.

I've never seen what was wrong with Lords view then, nor now.

He was right about Bates as well.
This user liked this post: yorkyclaret

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 7571 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:26 pm

Bates was a 'lifelong Burnley supporter', or have l not read it right?

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:05 pm

I had a meeting with Bates when doing the Jimmy Mac book. Bates was full of admiration for Lord but said three things stopped him from being a truly great football man... he had no money... and had no people skills... and as a result of that no entreprenurial skills to raise the money he needed to bankroll his visions eg the enormous ground re development plans he had that all came to nothing.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 pm

I reckon Lord's abilities and character were summed up by his position as Vice President of the Football League. The rest of the League were happy to have him as vice president, and running the show to a large extent, because he was good at it. But they wouldn't appoint him President, even when the sitting president suddenly died or was incapacitated (can't remember which), because they didn't like him.

He was always there on FA Cup draw day - none of that celebrity waffle and joking they do now. The FA Cup draw was a serious business in those days.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:09 pm

In the early 50s, Ken Bates lived on Brunshaw Rd just above the Turf and his mother in lived on Mittella St on the same block as George Bray.
I've an Oldham v Shrewsbury programme from the time when Bates was chairman and Jimmy Mc was manager. Bates programmes notes to an outsider would look like fresh ideas on changing the face of football. They weren't, they repeated what Bob Lord had spoken years earlier.
Re club shares, I own Bob Lords last share.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:55 pm

Do we think that if Ken Bates had bought into Burnley that we would have sold Jimmy Mac?

How different might things have been then....

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Bob Lord just got a mention on Talksport during a piece by Martin Kelner on David Storey deceased, the writer of This sporting Life.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 7571 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Says on his Wiki page he grew up supporting QPR!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:11 pm

dsr wrote:I reckon Lord's abilities and character were summed up by his position as Vice President of the Football League. The rest of the League were happy to have him as vice president, and running the show to a large extent, because he was good at it. But they wouldn't appoint him President, even when the sitting president suddenly died or was incapacitated (can't remember which), because they didn't like him.

He was always there on FA Cup draw day - none of that celebrity waffle and joking they do now. The FA Cup draw was a serious business in those days.
He stood against Lord Westwood (Newcastle) for the presidency of the league and boasted about how he would win by a landslide. It was a landslide, but not in Bob's favour. He was fuming, claimed he'd forgotten more about football than Westwood would ever know and that he only lost because Lord came at the wrong end of his name.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:12 pm

BurnleyPaul wrote:Do we think that if Ken Bates had bought into Burnley that we would have sold Jimmy Mac?

How different might things have been then....
We'd already sold him, this was almost two years later.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:18 pm

Eric Cookson, who first attempted to buy Luther Wilkinson's shares, was an interesting enough character in himself. Ken Bates was a fellow director of the Howarth Construction Company, so Lord would have known of the connection between the two.

Howarth Construction were initially awarded the contract to re-develop Burnley's town Centre in the 1960's and i'm fairly sure built the Kirby Hotel. The work was well underway on the rest of the work, when Eric Cookson and Ken Bates had a falling out, and Cookson sold his shares. Haworth eventually went under, before the redevelopment was complete, & another firm completed the work.

Born in 1919, Cookson had a " good war ", being a tank Commander, in the Grenadier Guards. He proposed to his wife, Rose, by turning up outside her family home in Fulledge in a tank, carrying a ring and a dozen Red roses! He was tall, and had more than a passing resemblence to Leslie Phillips, the actor. He continued to have several Business interests in Burnley, including Sunnybank School on Manchester Road. He was incredibly well travelled, for the time, and a Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society.

To the end of his life, he lived in the House he'd built on Colne Road, " Domus ". Built in 1958, It is an amazing house, influenced by American & Scandanavian designs of the time and is now a Grade 2 " listed building ".

http://www.mswhewetsons.co.uk/property/ ... y-162.html

Bates had rung Cookson, after he'd heard of his wife's passing, and subsequently, whenever Chelsea played at Blackburn, Bates would invite Eric to join him and his guests at the Northcote for a pre-match lunch. Eric Cookson passed away around 15 years ago, being found in his study, with a half finished Scotch at his side, watching his other great love, Formula 1.....

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Lord Westwood of Newcastle only saw half the picture compared to Bob Lord! :D
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud