Crosskeys/Harrysbar

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Crosskeys/Harrysbar

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Just seen it mentioned on Facebook this is closing down at the weekend. Maybe flats? Shame one of Burnley's oldest pubs and very busy in the 90s when I was out every week.
Two years ago I used to go in before the Turf for the BT game on the big screen and £2 a pint Real Ale.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Re: Crosskeys/Harrysbar

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Unfortunately, that end of St James St has struggled since I was a kid...it is as if the town centre stops when you get to that corner where Marks and Spencer's is..

I will try and call in on Saturday pre-match [if it is still open] for old time's sake...the Cross Keys was on many a Burnley town centre pub-crawl back then.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 pm

"Two years ago I used to go in before the Turf for the BT game on the big screen and £2 a pint Real Ale."

If you, along with others, had continued to go in there, then perhaps it wouldn't be closing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:36 pm

That end of town is a real dive now. Shame as there are some ok places down there especially the art gallery.

Cross keys used to be alright when i first started going out. Sams Bar was alwayd better though. Was gutted when sams closed down.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Only been in Cross Keys a handful of times but I know a lot of people that seem to like it, it really does make you fear for Burnley's nightlife, places seem to be closing down at a rapid rate.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Cross Keys was great when I was 16. Let's be honest, anyone over the age of 17 went elsewhere!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:"Two years ago I used to go in before the Turf for the BT game on the big screen and £2 a pint Real Ale."

If you, along with others, had continued to go in there, then perhaps it wouldn't be closing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately the kids want to come on the turf nowadays so the pub crawls are out the window.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:54 pm

box_of_frogs wrote:Cross Keys was great when I was 16. Let's be honest, anyone over the age of 17 went elsewhere!
Thats why we used to go in. Was fairly slack on asking for ID. That end of town has nothing though. So its no surprise. You would ha e to pay me to eat from any of them takeaways these days.

Burnleys nightlife is on its arse. No surprise though.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Burnley's nightlife has been on its arse since the government allowed 24/7 drinking. This does not work in small towns. It's totally wrecked the nightlife, the business of lots of pubs, and the social side not only of nights out, but of other activities.

The younger ones now all get fuelled up before they go out on "pre-drinks". They go out at 12-1am, don't spend much as they're already smashed, and stay out until 7-8am. Because they're already drunk people don't talk the same, and the next day is a write off. The local Saturday and Sunday League football has gone; who wants to, or can manage to, get up for lunch time football when they got in at 8am?

The best thing the council could do, not just in Burnley but in Accy and Blackburn, is revert back to the old drinking hours. Surely others can see how it's affected things? Or perhaps it's a government plan to control? Now there's a thought; less people out because of the hours, less public houses to cause disorder.....conspiracy theory right there. :o :D

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 pm

Regarding Harry's Bar it used to be on the circuit in the early-mid 90's. The crowds used to snake through town down towards there, but then when you'd had a beer in there you'd then walk right back through town to Ritzy, or over to the Angels I suppose. Shame.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:14 pm

Claretforever wrote:Burnley's nightlife has been on its arse since the government allowed 24/7 drinking. This does not work in small towns. It's totally wrecked the nightlife, the business of lots of pubs, and the social side not only of nights out, but of other activities.

The younger ones now all get fuelled up before they go out on "pre-drinks". They go out at 12-1am, don't spend much as they're already smashed, and stay out until 7-8am. Because they're already drunk people don't talk the same, and the next day is a write off. The local Saturday and Sunday League football has gone; who wants to, or can manage to, get up for lunch time football when they got in at 8am?

The best thing the council could do, not just in Burnley but in Accy and Blackburn, is revert back to the old drinking hours. Surely others can see how it's affected things? Or perhaps it's a government plan to control? Now there's a thought; less people out because of the hours, less public houses to cause disorder.....conspiracy theory right there. :o :D
Anyone who uses the term predrinks make's me repeatedly want to punch them

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:17 pm

What's the future if the current climate continues then? If I had to guess I'd say that the places which are barely ticking over now will continue to shut until we're left with a small core of venues that do well and are consistently fairly busy. I just hope it doesn't go the same way as Blackburn, which as long as I've been legally allowed to drink has seemingly never had anywhere worth going to and appears to be a bit of a ghost town on the nightlife front.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:52 pm

Colne on the other hand is flourishing. Normal hours. Some decent little pubs. Some with shall we say charachters. Seems to do ok.

The sunday football is a different story altogether but another sad demise. I was involved a lot from 16 to about 27 but saw it coming. Real shame as it was always enjoyable and had some very good teams and players.

But back to opening hours. Its a good point. If something closes at 2 naturally you want to get in there and enjoy it before it closes. Now you can go out when you please as you know it will be open whenever.

When i first started going out town was rammed friday and saturday. The culture was to go out friday after work. Thats changed too.

The only places that will thrive now are places that have something about them. Something niche. Real ale pubs. Microbreweries. Sports pubs. Wine bars.

Culture changes. Country pubs and city bars will still remain. But even that could change in future.

Personally couldnt think of anything worse than a night in burnley these days. Used to live for it at 17 to 23.