Barnes, Gray and Vokes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7197 times

Re: Barnes, Gray and Vokes

Post by Quicknick » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:49 pm

With regards to Rodriquez, I was talking to an avid Saints fan a few weeks ago (he was on their books in the 60s), and he says JayRod is not the player he was before the injury.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:if we had joe allen from stoke, perhaps gray and barnes and vokes would be available in goalscoring positions instead of faffing about all over the shop. We do though seem to be without a cutting edge.
Faffing about all over the shop ?
WTF ?

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:32 pm

TVC15 wrote:Faffing about all over the shop ?
WTF ?
by the comment, I assume you think they are right on it , clearly they are not.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:42 pm

minnieclaret wrote:Long would a perfect upgrade for Gray, if he leaves.
Bags of pace, works his socks off and a finisher.
Wages could be a problem so more chance of getting JayRod back.
why stop there get kevin mc donald back to help score one or two. :roll:

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Chester Perry wrote:given Chelsea's record they would want more than we could get for Gray - that would be a hell of a risk for us on what is essentially potential - no matter how good he appears - and if it proved successful I would be amazed if we kept hold for more than a season - not to mention he probably earns more than Keane does now and would have to be the clubs top paid player with a transfer of that size
I'm not sure how much he earns, I doubt he's on more than £30k p/w. We've developed strikers for years, Abraham looks an exciting prospect but wont get game time at Chelsea like Bertrand Traore. Abraham isn't just potential though is he? he's scored a shed ton in a poor side this year, he's proven to have quality in the league below, like all of our players he's unproven at PL level. The whole point of signing young players with huge potential is to eventually sell them on.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Chalobah was apparently on £35k when he was on loan with us.
Bamford was on £30k.

Abraham will be on something similar or higher depending on how highly hes rated.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Quicknick wrote:With regards to Rodriquez, I was talking to an avid Saints fan a few weeks ago (he was on their books in the 60s), and he says JayRod is not the player he was before the injury.
I have said this for the last two years but nobody listens because he is an ex claret.

We may as well sign McCann and Chaplow!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 pm

tim_noone wrote:why stop there get kevin mc donald back to help score one or two. :roll:
Ha just seen this before my above comment.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:23 pm

We shouldnt be paying our highest wages for potential. Unless it is potential proven at the level we are at with potential to go higher.

Abraham would be a good signing. But top dollar and top wages would be a big risk. We have potential in Agyei.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:24 pm

Foshiznik wrote:He's like 42 years old isn't he?

Time to start printing those old Claretsmad Dad's army t-shirts again if we sign him! :lol:
32 recently.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:39 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I have said this for the last two years but nobody listens because he is an ex claret.

We may as well sign McCann and Chaplow!
Heard lots of folk say the same about other players in the past - writing them off to age or injury, only to be proved wrong. Of course, he probably isnt the same player and that's the only reason we can talk about it being remotely possible we might sign him - the pre injury model was a full England international who was top of Spurs' target list and worth north of £20 million. Thats a pretty big distinction from McCann or Chaplow.

I don't know how badly injury has affected him - although from what ive seen this season, Rodriguez remains a player with something about him and his record isnt too bad - and im not saying we should try and sign him per se.

What i do think is that our ideal next striker would be someone capable of playing as a "link man" striker, with the aerial ability to get on the end of Brady's crosses and win flick ons for Gray, the ability with his back to goal to hold the ball up and act as a target, an ability to play a pass to release Gray, and ideally the mobility to play with Vokes too. Plus if course they have to have the work rate and humility Dyche demands. And it has to be said that Rodriguez is the only player in England i can think of who ticks all those boxes who is remotely plausible (Long for example is too unrefined).

What that wish list does demonstrate is that finding that perfect 4the forward to compliment our current options is not going to be easy, and we'll probably have to look abroad.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 682 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Tammy Abraham would be a cracking signing but wages will be a major stumbling block.

There's no way he would be allowed to come here and earn more than the likes of Ben Mee or Stephen Ward, but to secure his signature that's what would have to happen.

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:04 am

I've been thinking about the position we face with andre not extending his contract.

I'd like to think he'll sign on again when the club are mathematically safe from relegation. But I'm not certain he will. He holds all of the aces at this stage with his contract.

To lose Andre at this stage will mean we receive a deflated transfer fee but as with Keane this has got to be better than the other risk that we get nothing for him in 12 months time. Spurs the latest link to Andre yesterday. Pochettino has previous for pinching one of our best players off us for cheap - but I appreciate we had no choice in the fee accepted given the contract position in place.

This position feels to have been playing out time and time again with Burnley in the last 7 years with our transition period between the top two leagues...Fletcher, Ings, Keane and Andre. Trippier was slightly different as he did sign again but only on the condition of a deflated fee to exit.

I think the club need to reassessing how we agree our contracts going forwards - a 3 year deal doesn't work for a player you have high hopes of success in the first season. If that happens and if the club don't have the option to extend for another year (think Snodgrass at Hull when this happened just prior to his departure) then we're going to be stuck in the same cycle going forwards with key players running their contracts down and with us facing depleted fees. This is a difficult one for the club because it only takes afew bad decisions and a bad season on the pitch and we will be trapped into contracts which are not affordable at the level below.

Back on the main topic - with the requirement to upgrade the 2nd striker and I think a continuing threat to our main striker - then I think we need to be seriously considering where do we go for two new forwards.
Abraham on loan with an agreed option to buy may be a good route for us if we consider the scenario without Andre. Can't really think who else is in that mould in the championship. Can't see us shopping abroad for a main striker given our mixed success in this market.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1702 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:14 am

Would let Gray go and use Vokes on the bench and let his contract run down. Neither have enough in their all round game to be a top half of PL striker, Ulloah of Leicester would be a replacement for Vokes, or alternatively Kodgie at Villa. Think Danny Ings on loan would be worth a risk.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:05 am

Would replace Vokes. Not currently offering anything at this level. Doubt there would be any other Premier League takers. What we do need is a link man. In mind Jay Rod is or was that kind of player.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:09 am

It doesn't matter which strikers we get. If they don't get any service like our current ones they will struggle to find the back of the net. Priority must be creative attacking midfielders. Someone who can provide the chances.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:10 am

Apparently Vokes has scored 1 goal in his last twenty league appearances. He really isn't suited to this league.
Gray is a 10 goal a season striker at this level. Don't think we can ask for much more.

Barnes is useful but won't score many possibly 6-7 at this level.

Kodija at villa would be a fantastic signing. Pace, power, dribbling. Can score different types of goals

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 am

warksclaret wrote:Neither have enough in their all round game to be a top half of PL striker
Let's be realistic here. Unless we are prepared to blow our current wage bill and spending out of the water we have absolutely no chance of ever being a top half club. Considering Gray is a good bottom half striker, like Deeney, there would be no point replacing him. He has pace and power that few other strikers at this level have.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:52 am

Ings & Jay ....if we can keep them fit,how good would that be?

MDWat
Been Liked: 879 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:05 am

Shane Long for me, been saying it for months. Do think we need a different big type striker, too. No idea who but I do know I don't want Chris Wood under any circumstances.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:41 am

Spijed wrote:Let's be realistic here. Unless we are prepared to blow our current wage bill and spending out of the water we have absolutely no chance of ever being a top half club. Considering Gray is a good bottom half striker, like Deeney, there would be no point replacing him. He has pace and power that few other strikers at this level have.
We are one point from top half

...and Long would be a very good signing

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Tammy Abraham - linked with Leicester for £15million (a starting bid according to Nixon)
Currently on £25K at Bristol City.

lakesclaret
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by lakesclaret » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:26 pm

God almighty can you believe that people are still pining for Ings and Jay Rod :lol: .Im not saying it's impossible but some of the pining for ex players is nauseous .We need to look forward and not at injury ravaged ex players who can't into the 1st team ( however unfortunate the reason)

Thing about Gray is what he'd be like with quality balls? In true fairness he'd get more decent balls in 1 game for Spuds than he would in 5/6 matches for us and it's maybe JUST enough for Pochohontos to take a " small"punt on .I see Gray more at a Palace or Watford .Personally I'd like him to stay.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:31 pm

Shane Long 22 games - 3 goals this season.

Impressive!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:37 pm

just wonder if any of you have been outside the UK :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are quality players all over the world

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:15 pm

I think Nahki wells would suit our style quite well.

Good pace. Better touch than anything we hav. Could be fairly successful

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Jay and Ings. It wouldnt be a transfer thread without them mentioned.

No no no.