Congratulations Brighton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wexford_Claret
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 384 times

Re: Congratulations Brighton

Post by Wexford_Claret » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Plastic football club with horrible fans. They were saying on 5Live it's twenty years since they almost dropped out of the league.

If only they'd gone all the way.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:45 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:I'm not sure what being in the 21st century has got to do with anything. We arnt living in the times of Romans either where the soldiers used to have sex with each other and was accepted in society.

It's just a bit of light hearted banter. Being a homophobe means not wanting to speak or be friends with someone because they are gay in my book. Which is clearly unacceptable. It's obvious that in today's society you have what I regard as snowflakes being all to happy to take offence on behalf of others. Go to Brighton threads about us and you find us being called neanderthal and thick. Its just water off a ducks back.
Define banter. It is the recipients perception, not what you think is banter. You wouldn't last 5 minutes in an informed debate.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:43 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Behaviour of their fans after we equalised last time out was disgraceful. Wasnt a minority either. Fully grown men. Pensioners with their wives in tow. Young lads. The lot of them aggresive beyond belief.

Ive been in situations at football down the years, but their behaviour in front of women and children in particular was a disgrace and as bad as ive seen. Would love to see them behave the same way when theres no safety of numbers and away from kids. Wouldnt happen though.

Hope they break derbys record low points total.
Everything about their fans was utterly pathetic last year.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

lakesclaret
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by lakesclaret » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:54 pm

If ever a club lived upto it's town reputation it's this lot,with their shiny stadium and giddy new plastic fans I'm sure they'll appeal to the towns young thrusting gayers
This user liked this post: ClaretMoffitt

firstclaret
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by firstclaret » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Congratulations Shane Duffy, any chance of an emergency loan back to t'rovers?

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Siddo wrote:Define banter. It is the recipients perception, not what you think is banter. You wouldn't last 5 minutes in an informed debate.

If you go through life trying to second guess the perception of a recipient of your comments, you will forever be treading on eggshells. As for the debate comment. How condescending, I'm so offended. I therefore bow to your superiority in debate and conceed defeat.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:10 pm

Siddo wrote:Define banter. It is the recipients perception, not what you think is banter. You wouldn't last 5 minutes in an informed debate.

It's stereotypical humour/comments about Brighton, like many football fans do. there's no need to twist your knickers.

On a Spurs forum when they were due to play us, a poster put up a thread titled something like Spurs v Sheep Shaggers.

One poster pointed out that Burnley were the inbred racists and that Yorkshire teams were the sheep shaggers.

I mean there's blowing up a pub in Soho and there's posting what Diesel has posted. One is a serious matter. the other is not.

Are all Blackburn fans equine fondlers?
Are all Liverpool fans car thieves?
Are all Newcastle fans fat cry babies?
This user liked this post: Quicknick

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:12 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Are all Blackburn fans equine fondlers?
Are all Liverpool fans car thieves?
Are all Newcastle fans fat cry babies?
At last someone's posted questions I know the answer to. :D
These 2 users liked this post: Bin Ont Turf Juan Tanamera

ClaretMoffitt

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:12 pm

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... rums/page3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here they go.

Already going on about how much of a dump Stoke is and how their fans should feel lucky to be able to visit Brighton.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:16 pm

The media will be all over these next season... 'fashionable Brighton'. In fact they were all over them even before they were promoted. On the news last weekend they were talking about how much of a huge achievement it has been for them bearing in mind they nearly went out of the league 20 years ago or whatever it was, and they had done it the hard way. I don't remember getting a news story on us before we even got promoted, saying how we've done it the hard way and were nearly out of the league, without any massive debts. I hope these bumders go straight back down with less than 11 points. Used to live there for a short time, the people really are something else
This user liked this post: ClaretMoffitt

ClaretMoffitt

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:25 pm

There are a lot of clubs out there I dislike more than Brighton.

But i genuinely don't think there is a set of fans I hate more. Would love beyond words to take 6 points off them next year and effectively relegate them. The media would have a right sulk, unfashionable old slum town Burnley kicking their new southern, posh fancy plastic team back into the second tier.
These 3 users liked this post: Belial cricketfieldclarets Caballo

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:35 pm

2 keepers 2 CM and a LB out of contract in the summer.
Can see they best player knockaeart going Newcastle too.
Should we loan them Chris long and young Freddy ulvestad?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Caballo wrote:Already bored to tears with the media love-in which started last weekend. A cretinous radio presenter was interviewed on the BBC yesterday morning and said "it's fabulous news for the city and means we won't have to travel to far flung northern towns like Accrington any more". Displayed every smug sanctimonious southern two hat stereotype imaginable, to the point that it was almost a parody. In a Kevin Keegan style, I would love it if they went straight back down.
Do Brighton expect Newcastle to miss promotion? Last time I looked Newcastle is a long way north of Accrington (and Burnley).

Still if Sunderland, Middlesboro and Hull all get relegated Brighton will be saved some trips up to the North East.

Still, whatever Brighton think of Accrington, my home town, I'm already looking forward to the game at the Amex next season.

UTC

Crawley Claret
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Crawley Claret » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 am

Well done Brighton well run club hope to see you against the clarets next season.
This user liked this post: KateR

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:31 am

I like Chris Hughton. He alone deserves a proper chance in the PL.

But I don't really care for them as a club.

I particularly enjoyed the Daily Mash article on Brighton from 2015...

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 am

plastic club.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 am

From a football point of view richly deserved. To come back from the disappointment of last year is some achievement by Hughton and their players. The fans came across as very bitter last year though.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7195 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 am

Well done, BHA. You deserve to get promoted.
This user liked this post: KateR

Jamesy
Been Liked: 803 times
Has Liked: 528 times

Post by Jamesy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:44 am

I like Chris Hughton, he is a good football man and a nice guy. As for the homophobic comments re. Brighton fans. No they are not gay, they are something gays are not particularly keen on................... they are Tw@ts.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR tim_noone

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:50 am

It would be great if the thread was just about football instead of descending into who has offended who with some lighthearted limp comment.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:59 am

We have to remember that for all the glory hunters who've tagged on to them since the move to the new stadium, they used to get crowds very similar to ours back in the 90s, before the owners sold the Goldstone.

A hardcore of fans then had to endure the equivalent of Burnley playing on the pitch at Barden track, before they were rewarded with a gleaming new stadium.

Bearing in mind there's a huge proportion of Burnley fans who incessantly bleat about the Orient game, Brighton had their own version, and won that too.

There'll be fans from 30 years old upwards who've seen their club go through some right **** before getting to this position. For them, I'm really happy.

The plastics can FRO though.
This user liked this post: scamander

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 am

CFS wrote:2 keepers 2 CM and a LB out of contract in the summer.
Can see they best player knockaeart going Newcastle too.
Should we loan them Chris long and young Freddy ulvestad?
I like Hughton a lot. He's one of the best managers out there for the Championship but he clearly needs to prove his worth in the PL. He could have a struggle from the start if he loses a couple of key players who are out of contract.

I still firmly believe we'll sign Dale Stephens this summer. I think Dyche eyed him as Marney's long term replacement and given Marney's current predicament I can see Sean going all out to sign him. He'd be a very shrewd signing on a free as well.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:19 am

I can see Stockdale staying with them, despite being out of contract. He's 31, and it's the one place he's been able to get regular starts and prove he's actually a good goalkeeper.

I think if Leeds were getting promoted he'd be seriously looking at getting a move there though. Massive Leeds fan.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:20 am

I really find it hard to like Brighton at all. I've browsed many different teams forums over the years dependent on who's been competing with Burnley at that time (Derby, Leicester, Forest, Boro, QPR all spring to mind) and some of them are what I'd call genuinely big clubs with history and loyal fan bases, yet none have been as horribly entitled as the bunch over on the Brighton board, who at the end of the day support a club that has only spent around 5 seasons in the top flight and won basically nothing.

During the run in last season I saw it all on there. E.g. Brighton deserve to go up because they play silky attractive football or Brighton has nice architecture and scenery as well as a shiny new stadium to boot. Essentially a whole host of excuses that really are meaningless when league tables are decided by who accumulates the most points. Their only redeeming feature is that Hughton comes across as a top coach and person, but despite that I'd really enjoy seeing them get steam rollered and going back down.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:17 am

Pleased for Houghton, thoroughly deserved. Keeping hold of Dale Stephens was a masterstroke when you look at there win ratio with him starting. 77% win ratio when he starts 33% when he is missing or sub.

I'm convinced he'll still be at Brighton. They will offer him far more money than we will be able to.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am

I'm not convinced he'll still be at Brighton because he is very keen to get back to the NW. Don't know whether we would still be in for him but we did try again in January.

As for Brighton, I did laugh a the well run club suggestion. People would be up in arms on here if our club ran up that level of debt.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:28 am

Is debt a debt when you owe it to yourself?

That's what the Brighton owner will be thinking.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:43 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:Is debt a debt when you owe it to yourself?

Depends how he funnels the money into the club, if it's done business to business.

He may have a parent company for his businesses like Gibson does at Boro.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:47 am

They will struggle i would imagine for a start they are going to after negotiate probably five new deals with the ones they have, then players they are going to bring in also makes a lot they need to do if they loss that size of chunk of their best players
Either way if they loss the out of contract players they are going to have to replace with new and we all no what time half a new team takes to gel plus all the shelling out they will after do
Newcastle will be by far better equipped it one thing knowing how the Championship works and what it requires to win it
But its another thing bringing what you have learnt and applying it in this league where you show your true credentials and thats the part Brighton will struggle with
Last edited by Longside4evr on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 am

Article from May 2009, where Tony Bloom committed millions through interest-free loans, and turned existing loans into shares.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... Bloom.html

He's basically a rich Barry Kilby.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 pm

I am glad they got promoted, quite like the town, fans everywhere do not really bother me one way or another, those that stereotype do though, especially Burnley fans that do it.

As for well run, I suppose its where you look from, say Burnley or Blackburn, think the perspectives will be different.

For reasons dating back a long time, I do not like Leeds and hope they do not get in the play off places let alone promotion, their fans are simply irrelevant.

Welcome to our house Brighton, but when we play I will be hoping you get thrashed, but a win will do (well 2 wins actually) :)

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10254 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:50 pm

A decent footballing side if nothing else. They've shown clubs like Derby how it should be done.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:05 pm

It's an identical position to the one Bolton were in. Did that count as debt? Their fans thought not, until they found out that it did.

It's not a problem unless the owner asks for the money back, or gets into financial trouble and his creditors ask for it, or dies and his next of kin asks for it.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:46 am

dsr wrote:It's an identical position to the one Bolton were in. Did that count as debt? Their fans thought not, until they found out that it did.

It's not a problem unless the owner asks for the money back, or gets into financial trouble and his creditors ask for it, or dies and his next of kin asks for it.
Bloom's 46, he's hardly going top pop his clogs any time soon.

He's a lifelong Brighton fan, not an investor in it for the money. His family have had 3 generations involved at board level at Brighton.

He's not doing it as a toy, he's just a rich fan, as we have with Kilby, Banaskiewicz, Flood and Garlick.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2325 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:03 am

Are all Blackburn fans equine fondlers?

Probably not, but as near 100% as makes no difference.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:52 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:Bloom's 46, he's hardly going top pop his clogs any time soon.

He's a lifelong Brighton fan, not an investor in it for the money. His family have had 3 generations involved at board level at Brighton.

He's not doing it as a toy, he's just a rich fan, as we have with Kilby, Banaskiewicz, Flood and Garlick.
I hope he doesn't. And he may have written off the debt in his will so his next of kin can't claim it. But regardless of that, if the money is a loan, it may be repayable one day, and then they're in Dickie's meadow. The only way to make it cast iron safe is to convert the whole loan balance into shares.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:55 am

Which he's done previously.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:00 am

Gretna are (or rather were) a good example of how this can all go wrong. A benefactor who invested a relatively large amount of money and then unfortunately fell ill, the funding was withdrawn and the club went out of business.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:12 am

OK, when 46 year old Tony Bloom dies, his family don't continue their investment in the club to a fourth generation and Brighton go bust, I will come back here and hold my hands up and admit that I should have worried for them.

Until then, I'm not going to worry one bit for them. They're owned by a huge fan of the club, and have just hit the mega-jackpot of Premier League football. They'll receive well over £100m in TV money over the next 12 months, as well as having 19 sell-out home games at 30,000 apiece.

They'll pay bigger wages than BFC next season, and will go into games with a tight, well-regimented defence and some real flair going forward.

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:33 am

See a few comments about their fans being terrible and have to step in and defend them.

Last season, after our last minute 2-2 draw at their place I was amazed to walk out of the stadium to see the bars under the ground still open. Particularly that they would do this for away fans. My brother & I got another pint, went outside & had a very pleasant chat with several Brighton fans about the game & who will get promotion. I found them a very polite & complimentary about our team. No arrogance or animosity with the ones we talked and really made the whole away trip a much more enjoyable experience. They certainly weren't plastic as they talked of their nomadic period.

They were also the best team I saw us play last season, managed to hold onto their key players & deserve their promotion IMO.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7195 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:55 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:There are a lot of clubs out there I dislike more than Brighton.

But i genuinely don't think there is a set of fans I hate more. Would love beyond words to take 6 points off them next year and effectively relegate them. The media would have a right sulk, unfashionable old slum town Burnley kicking their new southern, posh fancy plastic team back into the second tier.
Where does this notion that BHA are 'plastic' come from? New ground resulting in thousands of new fans, I presume. We need to remember a telling statistic. In 1972-73, Burnley were crowned champions of the second division. BHA were relegated from the second. BHA got the better average gate.

50 shades of Grey
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by 50 shades of Grey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:21 pm

'Where does this notion that BHA are 'plastic' come from? New ground resulting in thousands of new fans, I presume. We need to remember a telling statistic. In 1972-73, Burnley were crowned champions of the second division. BHA were relegated from the second. BHA got the better average gate.'

Well of course they did, Brighton has a population something in the region of 275,000. Just sayin' like.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie ayrshireclaret83

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:54 pm

From the above, it looks as though they're going to get a proper Turf Moor welcome next season ;)

ayrshireclaret83
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ayrshireclaret83 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 pm

50 shades of Grey wrote:'Where does this notion that BHA are 'plastic' come from? New ground resulting in thousands of new fans, I presume. We need to remember a telling statistic. In 1972-73, Burnley were crowned champions of the second division. BHA were relegated from the second. BHA got the better average gate.'

Well of course they did, Brighton has a population something in the region of 275,000. Just sayin' like.

Cos they are !!!!

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:37 pm

Can't stand them come across as an obnoxious bunch in the recent times we have played them. After of course they turned up with their begging bowls when they nearly went out of business.

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Local authorities aren't expecting an 'Icelandic' style baby boom, in nine months.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 pm

from a Brighton supporting mate of mine
"The proper Brighton fans are delighted to be promoted after all we've been through, problem is we have attracted loads of Chelsea and Man Utd fans since we got the Amex"

Nuff said