Let's have some perspective

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Goddy
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 694 times

Re: Let's have some perspective

Post by Goddy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Being the sad git that I am, I've been predicting results of the bottom teams for a while and with 9 games to go I went for predictions to the end of the season.

I had Burnley down to win only one game of those final 9 matches (and that was the WHU game), so we've already beaten that (possibly pessimistic/realistic) prediction.

So far I have Burnley being 2 points better off than I expected, Swansea 4 worse off, Hull 2 better off, Boro 3 worse off etc.

Essentially, games against Man U, if they turn up (which they certainly did today) are games where we are very unlikely to get anything.

For the record, I think we'll stay up and might even have enough points already.

Tony's right - the least these players (and Dyche) deserve is our unfailing support. I still maintain, we're miles better off than Swansea/Hull and miles better off than probably any of expected. Enjoy it and back the lads!!!
This user liked this post: Guich

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10250 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:28 pm

KRBFC wrote:Why on earth would I enjoy paying to watch my side not register a single shot on target? What a strange comment.

:lol:

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Its the manner in which we lost that concerns me. Lets face it a lot of supporters, myself included felt there was never a better time to play United after their mid week exploits. I am surrounded by United supporters and married to one. The majority consensus from them was that we'd get something from the game.
I full accept United have one of the best squads in the country, it was certainly evident today. What I find difficult to accept from our perspective is the same old one dimensional, predictable approach. We created very little. De Gea was never troubled from memory. Then again in a game that was screaming out for our most creative player. Where was he? Defour could have at least given us another option, but i'm personally baffled by the lack of opportunity given him by SD.
Just for the record I am optimistic we will crawl over the line but as I've commented previously I was never getting carried away like some on here when we were 11 points clear. That WHU game still looks ominous to me, lets hope we can get over the line before then.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2219 times
Has Liked: 2210 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Never a better time to play United? When they're 20 odd games unbeaten?

Righto then.

Cooperclaret
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by Cooperclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:35 pm

KBRFC - I do actually pity the clown now.

In its bed sit struggling to keep it down, while watching re runs of Rooneys goal.

Think it's that bald retarded Rovers fan that does them videos of "Blackburn Rovers"

Go get it drained you creep !

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:36 pm

To be honest, after the first goal - an absolute masterclass of counter-attacking football by the way - I thought we settled down and took the game to United who became very quiet after that. Granted, the second, comedy of errors goal, against the run of play, killed us off good and proper. Men against boys after that.
Andre Gray worked his knackers off today, a hell of a performance. I could have sworn he turned and put in a fizzer of a shot but if KBRFC says that's not so, we can only defer to his superior knowledge of such matters..
I've had more disappointing times at the Turf, I have to say.
This user liked this post: Cooperclaret

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:36 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote::lol:
Did you enjoy todays game Eddie? No doubt you thought the performance was incredible. Some fans just have low standards and settle for any old rubbish

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 pm

I echo the sentiment we need to show some perspective, and the effort of the gaffer and the team to get us in this position needs to be applauded.
This however does not mean that all critical observations must automatically be considered as 'over the top' (although some obviously qualify as such).
My concern for weeks has been the fact that SD seems to be rigidly sticking to a system and a line-up which - in my view - has not done enough over this period, and obviously has been sussed out by our opponents.
I am also puzzled (and again: this is not because the guy happens to be a Belgian) why a quality player like Defour can't seem to get a game even when fit, and when he does get selected he's pushed into a wide position.
Can anyone provide me with some kind of rational explanation on this please?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Cooperclaret wrote:KBRFC - I do actually pity the clown now.

In its bed sit struggling to keep it down, while watching re runs of Rooneys goal.

Think it's that bald retarded Rovers fan that does them videos of "Blackburn Rovers"

Go get it drained you creep !
Your post makes no sense at all, are you autistic?

Cooperclaret
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by Cooperclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Ok Numb nuts - in simple terms you have an H A R D on because Burnley (not we, because you are not a Burnley fan) got beat today.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:41 pm

We did not play as badly as some people are making out today.

I am not saying we looked like winning but we started the game well and looked neat and tidy. They scored a goal that we should have preferred by Barton taking one for the team.

The second goal was awful - it was a combination of mistakes from Mee, Tom and Brady any of which could have been avoided.

It was a struggle after that for sure - Gray had a very good effort which Bailly blocked brilliantly. This shot on targets statistic can be boll-ocks sometimes....that chance from Gray was a big big chance but does not register on the statistics. That goal would have given us a lifeline but instead the game was dead in the second half.

The main point here is fans need to look at the 2 squads today and just remember the gulf between the 2 clubs. It is enormous - bigger than the gulf between us and Lincoln. The fact that we are disappointed with not getting a result against Man United shows how far we have come as a club.

Those idiots saying they have not paid the entrance fee to watch Burnley have no shots on target I think the best solution is next time don't bother - let someone else sit in your seat - soneone who appreciates the club and the players more than you do.

As for some of the comments on individual players we get that every week - some moron next to us shouted at Brady today that he should just leave the club...this "fan" is about 30 stone and takes up 2 seats....so even better if he would f-uck off we could give it to 2 supporters !
These 4 users liked this post: Cooperclaret Guich Goodclaret longsidepies

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Bloody hell, KBRFC, I thought you'd "foed" me after your tantrum the other day............that didn't last long :lol: but, tbh, I thought it was interesting to see how a classy Man Utd side set about us with JM clearly having one eye on Thursday's derby but also wanting to nullify Barnes in particular and our midfield in general. He did a job on us and that's why he's a top manager in charge of a top side.
I think you have to understand this is no ordinary league - the top four or five teams, OK maybe not Liverpool, have squads with a massive pool of talent and potential at their disposal. In comparison, we can hardly compete with such resources but compete we do.
I didn't see anybody who shirked or who didn't work their ******** off for BFC today and, while we were made to look ordinary this afternoon, I can live with that.
I guess the perspective comes with actually going to matches over the years rather than agreeing with whatever TV pundits you might be watching at the time.
These 2 users liked this post: Cooperclaret Goddy

Bury-claret90
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Bury-claret90 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:49 pm

We're pretty poor today no doubt about that, it makes it worse when united was even at the races either , yes we're playing Man Utd but it's it united like it use to be and was there for the taking , very poor
Makes the weekend awful when palace swan and hull win ,
If we do stay up dyche got to realise need some pace in there on the wings and full backs ,

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2219 times
Has Liked: 2210 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:51 pm

Bury-claret90 wrote:We're pretty poor today no doubt about that, it makes it worse when united was even at the races either , yes we're playing Man Utd but it's it united like it use to be and was there for the taking , very poor
Makes the weekend awful when palace swan and hull win ,
If we do stay up dyche got to realise need some pace in there on the wings and full backs ,
There for the taking, were they?

Well, I've heard it all now. :shock:

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1749 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:52 pm

We've done fantastically well to have 36 points with 4 games to go and I'm confident we will stay up. We were poor today though.

Yes, we played Manchester United side. Yes, they are in the top 5 for a reason. Yes, it was always a tough ask to get a result. But we are in the Premier League on merit, were at home today, gave away two sloppy goals and failed to test De Gea all afternoon.

It's ok to to think we've done well overall, but be critical of performances in individual matches.

Let's allow some balance alongside that perspective. Football isn't black and white.
These 3 users liked this post: Sidney1st ksrclaret Vintage Claret

Carnsmerry12
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by Carnsmerry12 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:57 pm

We all know that Burnley never do it the easy way and stress levels are high for some supporters as the season draws to a close. To stay up would be a fantastic achievement and now is the time to keep the faith no matter how hard it might be for some. We knew it wouldn't be easy but we can do it.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Were we poor or made to look poor by a far superior side ?
Not so sure about the first being the direct result of an error, neither am I sure about Utd being there for the taking. Nobody else has "taken" them for quite a few games now.......

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:59 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Bloody hell, KBRFC, I thought you'd "foed" me after your tantrum the other day............that didn't last long :lol: but, tbh, I thought it was interesting to see how a classy Man Utd side set about us with JM clearly having one eye on Thursday's derby but also wanting to nullify Barnes in particular and our midfield in general. He did a job on us and that's why he's a top manager in charge of a top side.
I think you have to understand this is no ordinary league - the top four or five teams, OK maybe not Liverpool, have squads with a massive pool of talent and potential at their disposal. In comparison, we can hardly compete with such resources but compete we do.
I didn't see anybody who shirked or who didn't work their ******** off for BFC today and, while we were made to look ordinary this afternoon, I can live with that.
I guess the perspective comes with actually going to matches over the years rather than agreeing with whatever TV pundits you might be watching at the time.
Why would I foe you? I was genuinely interested on your thoughts after todays game. Nobody with a brain expected us to win today, the defeat for me isn't the problem, the manner in which we lost is what I take issue with.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4073 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:00 pm

They weren't "there for the taking." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good God, man
Give your head a wobble, bury.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:I echo the sentiment we need to show some perspective, and the effort of the gaffer and the team to get us in this position needs to be applauded.
This however does not mean that all critical observations must automatically be considered as 'over the top' (although some obviously qualify as such).
My concern for weeks has been the fact that SD seems to be rigidly sticking to a system and a line-up which - in my view - has not done enough over this period, and obviously has been sussed out by our opponents.
I am also puzzled (and again: this is not because the guy happens to be a Belgian) why a quality player like Defour can't seem to get a game even when fit, and when he does get selected he's pushed into a wide position.
Can anyone provide me with some kind of rational explanation on this please?
Well firstly, seeing as Brady has come in for Arfield and Vokes for Barnes last week, I think the criticism of "same 11" is pretty harsh.

Secondly I think that Defour would struggle in a midfield two except against the weaker sides. For example I thought he and Barton ran the midfield in the fa cup at the Stadium of Light. But against teams largely playing 3 in the middle and with better players he is going to struggle. Plus he's coming back from injury and room another knock against Spurs. I'd say Dyche obviously values his ability because when fit he has put him into a 442 out wide rather than Brady or Arfield.

The issue in tactics is much more about whether changing the shape would help instead of going 442. Play 5 in midfield and you can accommodate Defour.

We've largely been playing quite well and a lack of composure in front if goal has cost us. People are going on about Palace but had we Benteke up front we would have beaten Liverpool, Sunderland and Boro (and got points against Everton) given the chances we created. Certainly we would probably be safe now on at least 4-5 points more.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:05 pm

KBRFC

You said, during your meltdown about you backing down over posting your ST card part details,you were going to foe me and that it was "The End" - your words not mine so I er, expected you to foe me. It seems that you didn't foe me after all, hurrah !

So what manner would you prefer us to lose in ?

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1749 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:08 pm

I don't think they were there for the taking, but I think you have to be disappointed in any home league game where you don't test the oppositions keeper.

We've given better (or at least similar) sides than United a run for their money at Turf Moor this season. We were off key today.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:14 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:KBRFC

You said, during your meltdown about you backing down over posting your ST card part details,you were going to foe me and that it was "The End" - your words not mine so I er, expected you to foe me. It seems that you didn't foe me after all, hurrah !

So what manner would you prefer us to lose in ?
The whole afternoon was flat, no atmosphere, no nothing. No shots on target, if we are going to lose id expect to see some kind of fight. For me, I didn't see any at all, I saw a side scared to death of passing a ball, constantly taking the easy way out and passing backwards or punting it long onto Fellaini's head. I believe In the players, they underperformed today. Yes, we could have been at 100% and still lost but we weren't so I wont pretend we were and make excuses.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Agree with that ag. Certainly second half anyway.

But credit to Mourinho for getting the game spot on. Fellaini covering in front of the defence nullified our direct approach - plenty of other managers have struggled to manage that

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1699 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:22 pm

I compare todays game v Chelsea when Barnes & Gray were a handful and when we played a real pressing game gaining a draw

The team seem to have lost some belief since then

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:let's get positive and give this club of ours the support it needs and certainly deserves.
I think you should address your concerns to the club and manager, it wasn't the posters on an unofficial fan message board that has absolutely nothing to do with the club who couldn't muster a single shot on target at home.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 pm

warksclaret wrote:I compare todays game v Chelsea when Barnes & Gray were a handful and when we played a real pressing game gaining a draw

The team seem to have lost some belief since then
I would agree we looked more lost second half but first half we worked hard and looked fairly lively. Difference between this and Chelsea (and Spurs where we played well but still lost) is that Mourinho had a plan to nullify Barnes and a player capable of doing that job on him.

lancastrian
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by lancastrian » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Outplayed and out thought by a very good Man Utd team. No creativity in midfield the only one who can supply this is sitting on the bench. What a difference between this performance and last week's at Everton. We seem to play route one football most of the time and in my youth this was called kick and rush which Burnley never did.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:35 pm

united were very average looking, for all their money, it took a big gangling dope like Fellani to get the plaudits as their best player.
It did seem wrong to be goalkicking straight down his throat, about a foot taller than any of ours for a start.
That said, before the game Sean Dyche had to make a deciison on how, and who to play.
On paper at least, utd looked a real threat.
In fact, they played well in patches, great at the speedy triangular short passing which allowed them to escape any loss of possession, but otherwise mediocre display.
Our passing was again way off, useless at times. Inaccurate and wasteful.
Gray and Barnes hadn't a chance with so little supply, they can't be faulted at all.
At least we kept at it, 2-0 defeat against them doesnt sound too bad, but we saw a ropey old united today, and Burnley were poor.
We have definately lost our spark, there is something lacklustre about recent performances, maybe just tierdness and mental fatigue catching up with the players. Not helped by the footballing gods deserting us and showering the good fortunes on our dollopy rivals everywhere this weekend.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32529 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:38 pm

kentonclaret wrote:Claret Tony

You say that you thought Burnley were beaten as soon as the first goal went in. That is hardly a ringing endorsement of the manager or the character of the players given that we were playing a much changed Manchester United team at "fortress" Turf Moor.

Did you feel that Crystal Palace were beaten when the first goal went in?
Nothing to do with our manager or players but more that United are one of the best teams in the league, haven't lost since October and once in front never suggested that they would do anything but win. Palace were playing Liverpool, a team who have already managed to lose against us, Hull & Swansea this season.

Belgianclaret

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:45 pm

"The issue in tactics is much more about whether changing the shape would help instead of going 442. Play 5 in midfield and you can accommodate Defour."

Let's say I can agree with that Babylon (although still not completely convinced about it)

"I'd say Dyche obviously values his ability because when fit he has put him into a 442 out wide rather than Brady or Arfield."

Only partly agree with that: (1) that is not the position he has been playing for years (and I suspect he was bought for) and (2) guess he was played there because of the poor form of Arfield & Brady, and his ability to provide incisive passes (which he can do much better from the centre of MF). Now GG is fit again, this option will not be used again I would suspect.

My point/question is simple: he's a quality CM player, but when was the last time he was played in his preferred position and why?
This user liked this post: Tall Paul

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:50 pm

KRBFC wrote:Why on earth would I enjoy paying to watch my side not register a single shot on target? What a strange comment.
Because you would rather be proved right than see "your team" succeed under our current manager.

Acting Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Acting Claret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Regardless of who we are playing, we need to get to a level where we stop passing, yes I mean passing, the ball to the opponents. It has happened the last few games more than once. Today, Brady nodded the ball to Pogba which led directly to a goal. I'm sure he didn't mean it, of course, but it looked like it.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Some more perspective - this "ropey" United have not lost to any of the bottom eight clubs (it could be more) either home or away. Only four of those clubs have managed to take a single point from them - BFC, Hull, Bournemouth and WHU.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Brady's header may have been misdirected but to blame him directly for that incredibly quick and ruthlessly eficient break from United is being a tad harsh.
Class-act teams set up to force their opponents into making errors and then being punished for them.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:"The issue in tactics is much more about whether changing the shape would help instead of going 442. Play 5 in midfield and you can accommodate Defour."

Let's say I can agree with that Babylon (although still not completely convinced about it)

"I'd say Dyche obviously values his ability because when fit he has put him into a 442 out wide rather than Brady or Arfield."

Only partly agree with that: (1) that is not the position he has been playing for years (and I suspect he was bought for) and (2) guess he was played there because of the poor form of Arfield & Brady, and his ability to provide incisive passes (which he can do much better from the centre of MF). Now GG is fit again, this option will not be used again I would suspect.

My point/question is simple: he's a quality CM player, but when was the last time he was played in his preferred position and why?
We've done this before Belgian. At its simplest, both because Gray really needs a target man alongside him because his hold up game with his back to goal isn't that great, and because that is in any event the platform upon which we've built all our attacks since Dyche arrived (if not earlier), we can only get Gray in the side if we play 4-4-2. And because Defour struggles with the intensity and athleticism of runners in the Premier League, he's seen as a risk defensively unless he's in a midfield 3 - and certainly he couldn't play alongside Barton in a 2 against a team with the likes of Pogba in midfield.

So those two things are incompatible. In effect, you can't get Gray and Defour in the same team in their best positions. Now, I said earlier in the week I'd have played Defour today in a midfield 3. But since Gray was our best attacking outlet today, its hard to argue he should have been sacrificed to get Defour in the team.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Disagree with the OP.

It's perfectly reasonable and acceptable to look at the season as a whole, and then individual games as a separate entity.

We have been excusing rank bad performances all season with the justification that we aren't in the relegation zone. Criticism is often a good thing, so long as it's constructive and proportionate.

There have been many plaudits coming our way this season, and with that comes criticism when things are maybe not going to plan. You can't have it both ways.

Don't forget we haven't won away all season, and yet only recently Dyche was praising the fans for sticking with us, backing the players vocally and in numbers.

This is a forum for ALL of us to air our views and opinions, however much you may agree or disagree. Trying to oppress that, or revert to name calling is not acceptable.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:23 pm

TsarBomba wrote: There have been many plaudits coming our way this season, and with that comes criticism when things are maybe not going to plan. You can't have it both ways.
We never see the bellends on here when we win.

We don't get it both ways.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Yes Manchester Utd were the visitors today, but when Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea were the visitors we took the game to them and really got at them. Today we were well (and easily) beaten by a very, very good side, but they didn't even break sweat. And that's not like us! We looked like we've run out of steam today, just when we need it most!!!

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:We never see the bellends on here when we win.

We don't get it both ways.
There's a tendency to lump the reasonable posters who dare criticise in a constructive manner, with those who do overreact. There's a difference.

I don't agree that everything is rosy all the time, and the club is above reproach, but I don't get my knickers in a twist.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:53 pm

More perspective...........

In Man Utd's last game a little known nothing club called Chelsea didn't have a shot on target either.
These 3 users liked this post: Spijed evensteadiereddie Sidney1st

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 pm

TsarBomba wrote:There's a tendency to lump the reasonable posters who dare criticise in a constructive manner, with those who do overreact.
Not from me there isn't.

I'm very good at separating the two.

Belgianclaret

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:56 pm

"So those two things are incompatible. In effect, you can't get Gray and Defour in the same team in their best positions. Now, I said earlier in the week I'd have played Defour today in a midfield 3. But since Gray was our best attacking outlet today, its hard to argue he should have been sacrificed to get Defour in the team."

Thxs Spice - interesting proposition. Just seems strange to me that an international CM can't seem to get a game in his best position either in a 4-4-2 or in a 4-5-1,the latter because we don't seem to have a player up front who's good enough to hold up the ball.

In my opinion, this comes down to not making use of a very good player just because another (playing in a different position) is not up to the task.

Secondly, it also appears to me that SD doesn't even trust Defour to make an impact as a half time sub (in a 4-4-2) when for the moment Barton is definitely out of form.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:More perspective...........

In Man Utd's last game a little known nothing club called Chelsea didn't have a shot on target either.

Post of the day BOT, I like it.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:34 pm

KRBFC wrote:The whole afternoon was flat, no atmosphere, no nothing. No shots on target, if we are going to lose id expect to see some kind of fight. For me, I didn't see any at all, I saw a side scared to death of passing a ball, constantly taking the easy way out and passing backwards or punting it long onto Fellaini's head. I believe In the players, they underperformed today. Yes, we could have been at 100% and still lost but we weren't so I wont pretend we were and make excuses.
I feel you've got this right, KRBFC. I was frustrated by the poor passing, balls given away, wrong pass selected and some attempted passes just appeared to mis-kick the ball. I've started to miss the triangles that Owen Coyle (apologies for mentioning his name...) had drilled into the team in 2009 - partly in the run to Wembley and the other part in the half-season to the end of 2009 calendar year. I also missed Robbie Blake's free kick today.
Sean Dyche has done a great job with the defensive structure and framework - even though it broke down for the second goal, and, from a different aspect, the first also. But, there doesn't appear to be an offensive structure and framework. I'd have the team drilled in passing around the opposition penalty area and creating shooting and scoring opportunities. Daft, I know, but this appears to be missing...

I've got my tickets for Crystal Palace and will be on the phone in the morning to get tickets for Bournemouth.

UTC

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:59 pm

Paul Waine wrote:I feel you've got this right, KRBFC. I was frustrated by the poor passing, balls given away, wrong pass selected and some attempted passes just appeared to mis-kick the ball. I've started to miss the triangles that Owen Coyle (apologies for mentioning his name...) had drilled into the team in 2009 - partly in the run to Wembley and the other part in the half-season to the end of 2009 calendar year. I also missed Robbie Blake's free kick today.
Sean Dyche has done a great job with the defensive structure and framework - even though it broke down for the second goal, and, from a different aspect, the first also. But, there doesn't appear to be an offensive structure and framework. I'd have the team drilled in passing around the opposition penalty area and creating shooting and scoring opportunities. Daft, I know, but this appears to be missing...

I've got my tickets for Crystal Palace and will be on the phone in the morning to get tickets for Bournemouth.

UTC
Yeah, I just despise the football we play tbh. I hate that we play this way, our lack of quality isn't an excuse because Hull had a weaker side last year and invested less than us in the windows yet they play some good stuff. Coyles side played some exciting attacking stuff with nowhere near the same resources as Dyche. For me, there was zero enjoyment sat at todays game, I understand we are going to lose games but where's the enjoyment in sat at the game knowing deep down your team wouldn't score if they played another 4 hours. We have some quality players capable of passing the ball given a license too which makes it even more frustrating. 1 win in 12 and Dyche just doesn't change, the same team and system over and over again (unless he is forced to change).

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:04 pm

KRBFC wrote:Yeah, I just despise the football we play tbh. I hate that we play this way, our lack of quality isn't an excuse because Hull had a weaker side last year and invested less than us in the windows yet they play some good stuff.

Clueless.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:14 pm

KRBFC wrote:Hull had a weaker side last year and invested less than us in the windows
Seriously? Presumably you have access to the figures which I don't, but I would be interested to see how much Hull City's 17 new players, with 11 of them signed from top division sides in England, France, Portugal, Holland and Italy, cost in fees and wages. I reckon it's more than our new signings cost; but please, post your sources.

Shots on target? You should have stayed till half time. I'm pretty sure Gray's turn and shot was on target, wasn't it?

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:16 pm

I know the stats say we didn't have a shot on target - but Barnes was inches away from a simple head-in from Brady's cross and several shots were well blocked by United's defenders such as the one mentioned earlier which Gray fired in but was denied by some great work from Bailly. When quality players such as United had on the pitch decide to give their best our team of relative journeymen hasn't a chance.

Our record buy, Brady, cost around £13m which United wouldn't even consider worth looking at. If someone isn't valued at £25m and upwards they aren't good enough!

On the issue of Defour. he is a classy player by recent BFC standards, however, he struggles to adapt to our enforced physicality and the work-rate demanded by the Premier League. He isn't the first and won't be the last continental import to find life tough in the Premier League.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Absolute ********
What is absolute ******** is giving Barton a 7 out of 10 today!

We were up against a big club. And some good players. But when has that ever bothered us? (Players or fans both were poor today!)

Today was our worse performance of the season.

Perspective is that Hull and Swansea have been gaining ground for weeks. And today we are closer to the drop than we have been in weeks or even months!?

We had four consecutive away games, which didnt help. But 3 of them 4 were against teams below us. We gained 2 points. Thats not good enough.

We should have gone for it at Boro, Sunderland, Hull and Swansea if not Everton and Liverpool.

Our away form has put us under pressure at home and the lack of belief has made it unlikely to replace that form away.

I think we will do it - just. But we should have been looking at a top ten finish given where we were, not look behind us.

17th would be an amazing achievement at the start of the season. And I would take it now. But that doesnt mean we couldnt and shouldnt have done better, especially given the position we were in.

Look at the fixtures Palace had. They dealt with the pressure. We dont have the experience of doing that. Which is why everyone is nervous.

We will come back. We often do. We should be OK. I think we will. But the perspective to me is that we are creating our own problems.