Defour

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Defour

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:04 am

How can he not get it this team? He must hate it here, I can only imagine Defour during a hoofball training session. I'm surprised at the number of defensive posters on here making excuses for Dyche when anyone dares question him. Well, here I am questioning him, Marco Silva would have Defour dictating the tempo of a game at home, carving teams open with his quality from a deep position. Criminal how he cant get in this side when he's fit and proof of Dyches intentions in terms of not passing the ball.
These 4 users liked this post: Jeremy_Bentham Anonymous claretandy claretandblue

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Re: Defour

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:41 am

Have you wet the bed again?
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro iluva64

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:46 am

KRBFC wrote:How can he not get it this team? He must hate it here, I can only imagine Defour during a hoofball training session. I'm surprised at the number of defensive posters on here making excuses for Dyche when anyone dares question him. Well, here I am questioning him, Marco Silva would have Defour dictating the tempo of a game at home, carving teams open with his quality from a deep position. Criminal how he cant get in this side when he's fit and proof of Dyches intentions in terms of not passing the ball.
Your'e one of the keyboard warriors Dyche speaks of. :lol:

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:10 am

He's right you know...

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 am

I don't mind our brand of hoof ball if it keeps us up. However I would expect to move on from that next season because I feel we have become too predictable already. Continue like this next season and it won't be good. Also the more money we spend the more likely we are to sign more technical player like defour and Brady. Those players don't suit the direct approach.

Dyche has set us up to gain enough points to stay up and it seems to be working. I just hope we move on from that style next season

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:25 am

There must be a reason for it, but it's very frustrating.

The thing that baffles me more is why we play Robbie Brady on the right wing. Might as well play him in the frigging net

ThinLizzy
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 221 times

Post by ThinLizzy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:40 am

I'm not sure Defour would have had any effect on the result yesterday. I did notice Burnley Twitter put two Ashley Westwood's on our bench yesterday. I am not sure even if the ref had allowed two to come on, we'd have got a result.
Getting enough points on the board has to be our priority and as technically gifted as Defour may be, we need battlers out there to retain our Premier League status.
Regards Brady, I thought he, along with Gray were our two best players yesterday. He didn't just play on the right. He popped up on the left and through the middle. He whipped in a lovely cross from our right hand side, although; probably as you thought. What the hell was he doing on the right?!
I still think Defour would better as an attacking midfielder just behind our front two, or behind a lone striker. We don't set up that way and his talents seems to be being overlooked in preference of getting the points on the board at present.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:55 am

I said about 4 weeks ago that Dyche had reverted to his tried and tested style and was going to try and get the final few points we need through effort and organisation rather than through taking the game to anyone.

He simply has to get Defour into the team. He's our best ball player and the only one we've got who can spot a pass. He should be our focal point when fit yet he now can't even get a kick before an untried kid! The game was crying out for him at half time yesterday in place of Barnes, who was simply losing vs Fellaini. We needed to get the ball on the deck and play through the middle IMO. My team for Palace would look something like this...

Heaton
Lowton Keane Mee Ward
Westwood Hendrick
JBG Defour Brady
Gray

Set up as a 4411 without the ball and shift to a 4231 on the counter.
These 3 users liked this post: ThinLizzy randomclaret2 Quicknick

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:02 am

ThinLizzy wrote:I'm not sure Defour would have had any effect on the result yesterday. I did notice Burnley Twitter put two Ashley Westwood's on our bench yesterday. I am not sure even if the ref had allowed two to come on, we'd have got a result.
Getting enough points on the board has to be our priority and as technically gifted as Defour may be, we need battlers out there to retain our Premier League status.
Regards Brady, I thought he, along with Gray were our two best players yesterday. He didn't just play on the right. He popped up on the left and through the middle. He whipped in a lovely cross from our right hand side, although; probably as you thought. What the hell was he doing on the right?!
I still think Defour would better as an attacking midfielder just behind our front two, or behind a lone striker. We don't set up that way and his talents seems to be being overlooked in preference of getting the points on the board at present.
The players on the pitch certainly weren`t having any effect on the result so why would you NOT bring on your most creative player? What in fact was the point in having him on the bench at all? It`s fantastic that we have 36 points and have MORE than a good chance of staying up however our level of performance has dropped dramatically (Everton for 35 minutes aside) and the actual performances are so one-dimensional and utterly predictable.

We got the points on the board (happy to be corrected) when Defour was involved with the actual games. One win in the last 12 games is it with hardly a whiff of Defour involvement? Of course he has been injured but my point is he positively affects results. It would be a crying shame if he is allowed to leave in the summer as I wouldn`t mind seeing a 3-man midfield of Hendrick/Barton or Stephens & Defour next season with Brady and Gudmundsson on the wings. That should be a positive and well-balanced midfield.

Anyhow...hopefully we can crank it up a couple of gears for Palace!

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 am

jlup1980 wrote:I said about 4 weeks ago that Dyche had reverted to his tried and tested style and was going to try and get the final few points we need through effort and organisation rather than through taking the game to anyone.

He simply has to get Defour into the team. He's our best ball player and the only one we've got who can spot a pass. He should be our focal point when fit yet he now can't even get a kick before an untried kid! The game was crying out for him at half time yesterday in place of Barnes, who was simply losing vs Fellaini. We needed to get the ball on the deck and play through the middle IMO. My team for Palace would look something like this...

Heaton
Lowton Keane Mee Ward
Westwood Hendrick
JBG Defour Brady
Gray

Certainly worth a try!!!!!!

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 am

Did it need another thread to ask basically the same questions as the others?

ThinLizzy
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 221 times

Post by ThinLizzy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 am

jlup1980 wrote:I said about 4 weeks ago that Dyche had reverted to his tried and tested style and was going to try and get the final few points we need through effort and organisation rather than through taking the game to anyone.

Heaton
Lowton Keane Mee Ward
Westwood Hendrick
JBG Defour Brady
Gray

Can't disagree with that. Although I'd prefer to see Hendrick further forward. Hendrick always gives me the same feeling Arfield does in a defensve midfield position. Would rather see him bringing the ball through midfield in an attacking position. I've suggested in another post a sort of a 4-2-3-1 formation with Barton and Westwood sitting behind a three pronged midfield with Defour linking as an attacking midfielder. So it'd be a toss up between JBG or Hendrick in that midfield three for me.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:08 am

ThinLizzy wrote:Can't disagree with that. Although I'd prefer to see Hendrick further forward. Hendrick always gives me the same feeling Arfield does in a defensve midfield position. Would rather see him bringing the ball through midfield in an attacking position. I've suggested in another post a sort of a 4-2-3-1 formation with Barton and Westwood sitting behind a three pronged midfield with Defour linking as an attacking midfielder. So it'd be a toss up between JBG or Hendrick in that midfield three for me.
I'm in the same boat as you then. I'm trying to fit in the players I believe can create. My feeling is Defour will give us 70 minutes at the most and then you bring Barton on and push Jeff forward. I'm not sure why we even discuss this though, we all know it'll be the same 11 on Saturday.

Parkvilla
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Parkvilla » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:54 am

When Defour starts won 10 drew 2 lost 7
When Defour doesn't start won 2 drew 6 lost 12
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick Anonymous

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 am

Parkvilla wrote:When Defour starts won 10 drew 2 lost 7
But how often did he complete 90 minutes? ;)

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:44 am

That is impressive. But we have 36 points and that looks like 38 to me?

Parkvilla

Post by Parkvilla » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:48 am

Cup games

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:05 pm

I don't think anything that has been said on previous Defour threads needs repeating.

Dyche has lost the plot with his 4-4-2 it just isn't working, we're creating zero chances in games and errors are creeping into Barton's play amongst others.

It is not looking good to get any points from the remaining games as we are devoid of ideas and don't create chances.

Putting on a development player over a seasoned international pro is prob the final insult for him, I bet he is non plussed why he is sat on the bench when we are in trouble at the bottom.

Massive shame that stubbornness is going to lose us a great player and possibly end up with us relegated because Dyche can't set up his team properly.

Repeatedly doing the same thing expecting different results is the definition of madness is it not?

Crying out for 4-5-1

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Who knows what the real issue is.
Dyche has many questions to answer. Unfortunately the answers will be empty rhetoric.

Every man and there dog must know what our starting line up is going to be and which tactics we are going to employ. Dyche much like his predecessor's appears to be stuck with no alternative plans. Wonder if it's a genuine case of trusting certain players or pure stubbornness.

Hopefully we might get to see Defour play in claret and blue 1 more time.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Why did he sign him? He must have known his game so the whole situation is both baffling and annoying.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:56 pm

The performance against Watford in a 451 was one of the best we have put in all season. Lets try that against Palace.

Granted it didnt work against WBA away. But Palace will know exactly what we are going to lineup. If posters on here know our lineup I am pretty sure Allardyce does!

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Possibly the biggest waste of talent ever for us. Can anyone suggest anyone else who was an even bigger waste? I can't think of one.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:03 pm

it's not about MU match, it's not about what you think, Defour is not the savior, he virtually never lasts 90 mins.

Is he talented, yes to a point, is he our best player no, is he our most creative player, maybe, I know a lot believe so

It is about the next game, it is about will we get points from the next match, and you can times that by 4.

It is about what SD decides to do; he has got us to where we are so I will continue to trust him (and yes I know he is not perfect and I do NOT agree with his team selection/tactics 100%) to get us across the line, 2 points will make us safe for sure and maybe no points will get us there.

Why all these threads regarding Defour is beyond me, plus the gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair, I would not want to swap with any of the bottom 3 today of for the last 6 months basically, look at the table, have a drink, breath out, relax because you sure as hell are not going to change anything.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:03 pm

It's frustrating that a player with the technical ability of Defour cannot get in our team. He is a much better passer of a ball than anyone in the team - including Barton. He is also very positive in his passing and the big thing I noticed is that he has the ability to ping it in with power which speeds up our forward moves and gives the opposition team much less time to get players behind the ball. If our wide men are making runs and our front men can find them from Defours pass into them or Defour finds the wide men directly we look so much more dangerous.

In the last couple of months (and often when Defour does not play) we can look very pedestrian and when Barton's passing is wayward as it often can be many of the good sides will launch a counter attack on you very quickly and the quality of their forwards and midfielders means this will end up as a goal far more frequently than you would be punished in the championship.

All that said about Defour's ability it's little use when you are carrying the injuries he has had or when you are fit the manager thinks you can only play two thirds of the game.

Barton played very well for us in 4 or 5 games and it was his determination and never say die attitude that got us through the likes of Leicester at home. More recently he has not been as effective and playing against the likes of United and Spurs we have just come up against quality which we could not cope with.

I know people keep on bringing up Chelsea as an example of how we can match the bigger teams but I'd say that game was our best performance of the season...plus we scored a worldy free kick and most importantly Chelsea were definitely not firing on all cylinders that day. You could say that's because we did not let them but Costa did nothing that day and Hazard after the first 15 minutes had his poorest game of the season.

There are a number of reasons why we seem to be struggling more in the last 3 months than any other point of the season. Defour not playing much could be one of these.

Not blaming anyone here as I don't think any of us know the full details or extent of Defours fitness or injury problems (or any other possible issues). Dyche will be doing what he thinks is best for the club with knowledge of the situation that none of us have got.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:19 pm

The reason Defour isn't in the team is perfectly simple. It is very difficult to get him in the same team as Gray, because Gray needs a target man alongside him and we, like about 15 other teams in the league (and perhaps all except Bournemouth in the bottom half) rely heavily on using a physical target man to hold the ball up and give the platform for the midfield to get on the front foot. Rightly or wrongly, we probably rely upon the tactic more, but we're far from alone in using it heavily. Therefore, Defour would need to operate in a 4-4-2 and we've struggled to get him into the team in this formation in his preferred position because he struggles with the athleticism of the Premier League when players break beyond him.

All these plans to get Defour into the team by playing Gray is a lone striker completely ignore this, so they amount to asking the players to learn an entirely new style of build up play almost overnight. Worse, they ask the players to do so in order to pick up points in the sort of match in which our style has been pretty effective this season (results against teams outside the top 7 in 2017: Played 8, won 3, drawn 3, lost 2).

This isn't fantasy football. Yes, we're a structured team. But those structures have been fairly successful and we'd be lunatics to abandon them completely now, as so many of you suggest. The only way to get Defour into the team is to play 4-5-1 and either drop Gray (not too many advocating that currently), or play Gray wide right (not seen that suggested either), or play Gray as the lone striker but keep the target man option in the side by deploying Barnes wide left. And all of those have knock on effects because without Gray we become devoid of pace (see results without him away from home early season), and if Barnes is wide left Brady isn't, and if Gray is wide right then Lowton is exposed defensively (and Gray also showed in the first half yesterday the risks that can arise when Gray has to receive the ball inside his own half - he had to give away a foul to stop United breaking into our final 3rd).
These 2 users liked this post: Sidney1st Rileybobs

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:22 pm

defour can play in a 442.

i think he's better in a midfield 5 but he can play in a 442.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:33 pm

RVclaret wrote:Possibly the biggest waste of talent ever for us. Can anyone suggest anyone else who was an even bigger waste? I can't think of one.
Remco van der Schaaf
Paul Stewart
Paul Gascoigne
Jon Flanagan
Patrick Bamford
Nathaniel Chalobah
Jelle Vossen
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6389 times
Has Liked: 8737 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Maybe there are things of which we are unaware.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:48 pm

4-5-1 against Watford was great, we looked like a proper prem team, pass and move, we absolutely played them off the park with Defour making both goals if I'm not mistaken.

We could even play Hendrick in the hole behind Gray or Vokes when hes back as he is faster than Defour but we need Defour's range of passing and football brain in the team that is clear.

We really, really need to freshen things up because we are absolutely stagnant.

JBG is also now available so they know the formation and can play it, saying they can't play 4-5-1 is just nonsense.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Heaton
Lowton Keane Mee Ward
Westwood Hendrick
JBG Defour Brady
Gray

That's exactly the team I want to see.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:56 pm

The Watford game was one of the best Dyche displays iv seen. I praised him and the team hugely afterwards, a few months later and we're back to the same old garbage.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32537 times
Has Liked: 5278 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Given we've only won 10 I think that's highly unlikely, and a lot of those wins were actually won once he'd gone off.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:05 pm

KRBFC wrote:The Watford game was one of the best Dyche displays iv seen. I praised him and the team hugely afterwards, a few months later and we're back to the same old garbage.
Watford were, Sunderland apart, the worst team we've played this season - Manchester United were as good as anything we've played on the Turf. It might have escaped your notice but the quality of the opposition does tend to have an effect.
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:12 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:defour can play in a 442.

i think he's better in a midfield 5 but he can play in a 442.
Alongside who, Quoon? Alongside Barton, there's a serious lack of legs. Alongside Hendrick (who has been out stand out midfielder this season), there's arguably a lack of defensive cover because Defour's weakness has been his ability to fill in gaps as they appear in the back 4 and his ability to get back to deal with crosses pulled back behind the centre backs. When he played in midfield in a 4, from memory it was alongside Marney, and that may be significant.

This is the problem. Defour is a good player (no more than that, I don't think, at Premier League level), but the permutations of getting him into our team is difficult.

Incidentally, apart from anything else, we scored two set piece goals against Watford, admittedly one from a second ball. We didn't craft a goal from open play that night.

Parkvilla

Post by Parkvilla » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:21 pm

In league games Defour has played 20.We have won 9 drawn 1 and lost 10.Dont know when he was subbed in these games but to say we only won when he had gone off just about sums you up.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:26 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Watford were, Sunderland apart, the worst team we've played this season - Manchester United were as good as anything we've played on the Turf. It might have escaped your notice but the quality of the opposition does tend to have an effect.
I'm actually positive about our players and believe in them unlike some. We were nowhere near our best against United, lets not make excuses. 1 win in 12 suggest we haven't been on top of our game for a while, no doubt you will keep making excuses. Down playing the quality of players we have at our disposal, negative. No doubt you had an excuse when we lost against Lincoln, what rating did you give Barton after that game? 9? After all, little old Burnley don't deserve to be in the PL isn't that right?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks for summing me up - it really is appreciated.

He's started 16 and come on as a sub four times.

To get the four sub appearances out of the way, we've lost three, winning the other against Middlesbrough. We were behind in two when he came on, level in one we lost and also level in the one we went on to win.

Of the 16 starts, we've won 8, drawn 1 and lost 6 - I was merely pointing out that we went on to win four of those eight after he'd been substituted with the scores level.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Heaton
lowton keane mee ward
westwood Defour
JBG Hendrick Brady
Gray

This solves the problem of Gray needing a target man with Hendrick in the hole, hoofball is not working, no plan B, I could see Fellani sitting on Barnes in the first few minutes so why didn't Dyche change it ?
This user liked this post: jojomk1

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:33 pm

KRBFC wrote:I'm actually positive about our players and believe in them unlike some
After which I stopped reading
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie fidelcastro Burnleyareback2

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:54 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Watford were, Sunderland apart, the worst team we've played this season - Manchester United were as good as anything we've played on the Turf. It might have escaped your notice but the quality of the opposition does tend to have an effect.
Thats because we made them look poor. There is a reason they are above us and why they have won away at Arsenal, West Ham and Boro. And got credible draws at Southampton, Bournemouth and Swansea.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:58 pm

claretspice wrote:Alongside who, Quoon? Alongside Barton, there's a serious lack of legs. Alongside Hendrick (who has been out stand out midfielder this season), there's arguably a lack of defensive cover because Defour's weakness has been his ability to fill in gaps as they appear in the back 4 and his ability to get back to deal with crosses pulled back behind the centre backs. When he played in midfield in a 4, from memory it was alongside Marney, and that may be significant.

This is the problem. Defour is a good player (no more than that, I don't think, at Premier League level), but the permutations of getting him into our team is difficult.

Incidentally, apart from anything else, we scored two set piece goals against Watford, admittedly one from a second ball. We didn't craft a goal from open play that night.
He was pretty effective against Liverpool alongside Marney in a 442.

Hendrick is as much an athlete as Marney

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:59 pm

KRBFC wrote:I'm actually positive about our players and believe in them unlike some.
I can believe that, it's the manager you've no time for :lol:

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:02 pm

claretspice wrote:Alongside who, Quoon? Alongside Barton, there's a serious lack of legs. Alongside Hendrick (who has been out stand out midfielder this season), there's arguably a lack of defensive cover because Defour's weakness has been his ability to fill in gaps as they appear in the back 4 and his ability to get back to deal with crosses pulled back behind the centre backs. When he played in midfield in a 4, from memory it was alongside Marney, and that may be significant.
alongside hendrick, for me.

bring barton on later on when we're 3-0 up for his game management.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:09 pm

And yet the OP's wet dream of Marco Silva's 1970 Brazilian football couldn't beat predictable hoof ball Dyche at their place.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:13 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Thats because we made them look poor. There is a reason they are above us and why they have won away at Arsenal, West Ham and Boro. And got credible draws at Southampton, Bournemouth and Swansea.
They were very poor on the day no matter how we played.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:They were very poor on the day no matter how we played.
Did you never consider we made them look poor? We "bullied" them as Deeney said. Dyche actually out thought Mazzari against 3 at the back, we used the wings more that day than we have all season. Ooops I forgot, little old Burnley aren't capable of making teams look poor.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:They were very poor on the day no matter how we played.
I agree they were poor. But like I say, we made them look poor. Using perspective.
Attachments
deeney1.JPG
deeney1.JPG (71.54 KiB) Viewed 6203 times
Deeney.JPG
Deeney.JPG (16 KiB) Viewed 6203 times

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 pm

It was a bit of both. Sure, we bullied Watford a bit, but equally they just didn't turn up on the night. And whilst we played well, I'm not sure it was the best we've played all season. We knocked the ball about quite nicely, but my recollection of the game is that we didn't create tonnes of chances. We scored from 2 set plays, but we didn't miss a hat full of chances to win by more.

The other factor that night was indeed Watford's formation. With 3 centre backs and wing backs, we were able to work overloads on the flanks (especially via JBG and Lowton), which looked good but didn't necessarily translate into chances because Watford had those centre backs to deal with the good crossing positions we got into.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:22 pm

IanMcL wrote:Maybe there are things of which we are unaware.
Have to agree.
We only see the team together for 90minutes, Dyche seems them for about another 2000+ every week. What ever is keeping Defour out of the team happens in those minutes not the ones he is or ins't on the pitch for.

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:34 pm

When Joey returned I assumed he'd be the player coming on after 60+ minutes to help close games down, with Defour starting in a 442 and making way.

I don't think Joey's been at his best, with odd exceptions, and against the four teams we're about to play I think the case for Defour is compelling.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret