ARTICLE: FA provide written reasons for Joey Barton’s ban

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

ARTICLE: FA provide written reasons for Joey Barton’s ban

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:50 pm

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Re: ARTICLE: FA provide written reasons for Joey Barton’s ban

Post by CleggHall » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Is this ban still "staggering"?
Difficult to argue so.
Joey should have recognised his gambling addiction problem earlier, sought help and advice. He is a bright, intelligent, articulate guy but has been prone to periodically going off the rails throughout his life. Why? I guess that's the key question but nobody knows the answer, least of all Joey. It will be interesting to see what he does in the next few years.
Bon voyage!

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Sick of looking at all this figures about Joey's bets,can anyone tell me in plain English was he a succssesful gambler,was it worth it,how much did he win, and one more thing my wife won't be able to check my bets like they have checked Joey's will they?:(

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Paragraphs 2/3 show that Joey was a useless gambler, unsurprisingly a constant loser (as many are). He won nowt but his addictive nature prevented him resisting one further last bet ( and then another!). A mug's game for most but Joey could afford to given his high football earnings.

simonclaret
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 3596 times

Post by simonclaret » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm with SD on this. Harsh.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:34 pm

. As for his age, and the fact he is coming towards the end of his career, the Commission makes these points. He has enjoyed a full career. He has been breaching the betting Rules for a substantial part of that career. Had he been apprehended and charged earlier, the result – almost certainly – would have been an immediate playing suspension (and all the consequences).

“He has avoided that and enjoyed the fruits. He cannot now pray in aid chronology to avoid a meaningful sanction. Further, a younger player charged earlier in their career might well have a legitimate sense of grievance if s/he loses part of their career to suspension, but an older player (by virtue of that fact alone) does not.

“In the Commission’s judgement, the suspension must lie where it falls.
Basically nailed him there for breaking this rules for a very large chunk of his career and getting away with it.
They're aware it could end his career, but ultimately he's enjoyed a decent career whilst avoiding a ban.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FA are now asking betting companies if they're aware of any players holding accounts.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:38 pm

That's the thing though isn't it.

He's been doing it for 10yrs, so what changed to make betfair suddenly dob him in after all that time?

Yes Joey knew what he was doing was wrong but so did they and as has been pointed out during this saga, he never exactly his the fact on social media

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Looking at the figures he placed bets totalling £206,000 and his overall loss was £16,000.
i.e he lost 8% of his total stake.
The round-up on oddd for most poular markets is108% meaning that Joey was a bang average punter.

His losses per week over 10 years average just £30 a week.

In view of his earnings thats a very small sum indeed.

I am not sure wether the bets quoted by the FA are his total bets or his bets with just one bookies,namely Betfair,

ablueclaret
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Remember what the Pakistani cricketers got, and. Amir was very young.
Being an intelligent savvy person Barton knew exactly what he was doing, and he knows he has to pay for it.
Is there any point in having regulations if people are to walk free.
Harsh from Burnleys point of view but probably fair from anyone else's perspective in the knowledge that somewhere along the line it is likely to be reduced.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:03 pm

The cricket case was spot fixing,certainly more serious than Joey's.
His mistake was to bet on matches involving his own team and to have upset Betfair so that they felt the need to report him,

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Basically nailed him there for breaking this rules for a very large chunk of his career and getting away with it.
They're aware it could end his career, but ultimately he's enjoyed a decent career whilst avoiding a ban.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FA are now asking betting companies if they're aware of any players holding accounts.
I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't tbh Sidney. As long as iv'e been watching football, the FA have been extremely good at sticking their heads in the sand and ignoring things that could be considered contentious. Maybe things have changed. We will see.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:34 pm

bobinho wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't tbh Sidney. As long as iv'e been watching football, the FA have been extremely good at sticking their heads in the sand and ignoring things that could be considered contentious. Maybe things have changed. We will see.
Exactly. I wouldn't say there would go out of there way to unearth things like that. But if somebody's head is presented on a platter for them with a minimum amount of effort on there part there have to act.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:38 pm

I wonder if Grosicki is still gambling ? Hard to beat an addiction. I wonder if an opposing fan might grass him up similar to what has happened in this case and the Gray case. This really could open up a can of worms for other players.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Blackrod wrote:I wonder if Grosicki is still gambling ? Hard to beat an addiction. I wonder if an opposing fan might grass him up similar to what has happened in this case and the Gray case. This really could open up a can of worms for other players.
With whats happened & the rules against it well known you'd have to be pretty foolish to leave yourself on offer. I'd expect the majority will entrust very close friends or have alias names multiple accounts ect no paper trials leading direct. You never know though there are footballers hardly the Einsteins of this world.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1939 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:46 pm

ablueclaret wrote:Remember what the Pakistani cricketers got, and. Amir was very young.
Being an intelligent savvy person Barton knew exactly what he was doing, and he knows he has to pay for it.
Is there any point in having regulations if people are to walk free.
Harsh from Burnleys point of view but probably fair from anyone else's perspective in the knowledge that somewhere along the line it is likely to be reduced.
I don't think there is anyone, Barton included, who thinks he should walk free.
Linking it to the Pakistani cricketers is a bizarre one as well.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Basically nailed him there for breaking this rules for a very large chunk of his career and getting away with it.

Stand to be corrected but I would think they are breaching the Data Protection Act if they release information given this is not a criminal act.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:39 pm

It is a great pity. However, it is a known and understood transgression and so Joey should have put his hands up some years ago and informed his club of his addiction. His own statement shows the why. He is far from being the only one. Odd that he is singled out, like Lester Piggott for tax evasion, when all the jockeys were doing the same. 'High profile - send the nessage'.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Out of interest Ian who are the other ones you speak of?

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 pm

Breaking Data Protection was my first thought but nothing has been mentioned about it.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:26 pm

JohnMac wrote:Stand to be corrected but I would think they are breaching the Data Protection Act if they release information given this is not a criminal act.
Exactly my thoughts. I know he complied so its a weird one. Maybe getting banned for this rather than investigated for fixing or something more sinister was the thought process.

But imagine its something he wanted to keep quiet. Especially from family as a gambler would particularly the figures mentioned. Surely theyve broken rules themselves?
This user liked this post: JohnMac

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:29 pm

Would be really interested to see what happens if it comes out now that many more high profile players are at it.

Dangerous prescedent.

Presumably no guidelines as there would be in a criminal case.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Gambling... '' the sure way of getting nothing for something " Quote.

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Barton was a very easy hit for the FA.

Most football supporters (English and Scots), are happy to see him gone and Burnley are a smallish provincial club with little clout.

His stupidity was to use his own name and address.

Most footballers with spare cash and free time surely bet on the only subject they know - football.

But in someone else's name.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm a massive Barton fan and always have been, but I personally don't think an 18 month ban for betting on games involving a team you play for is too harsh.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Looking at some other judgements it's clear that the FA have an agreement with at least some bookies that they will be notified if a footballer bets on football matches and that has happened for others. I imagine it's probably somewhere in the T&Cs that no-one ever bothers reading to avoid the bookies breaking any data protection rules.

It's not clear why Barton got away with it for so long. Maybe he'd registered before the new controls were in place, maybe it was an oversight, who knows. (This seems to be the answer)
Questioned by Mr De Marco he said the account came to the attention of the trading team on 14 September 2016 because of winnings the previous day. It was then passed on to the integrity team, whose remit is to detect suspicious and corrupt betting activity. However, it is important to emphasise that the account never came to the attention of the integrity team because of any suspicious betting: there was no activity of that kind.

The full written reasons are here http://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom-n ... ashx?la=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's pretty long, I haven't read it all. There do seem to be lots of efforts to delay the hearing.

As a strange aside, Bradley Orr was there as Barton's representative and he is also Jon Flanagan's uncle.

brigante
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by brigante » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:19 pm

"a total stake of £205,172.79, earning winnings of £88,196.72. His return was £188,474.50, therefore the player made a loss of £16,708.29."

I'm being a bit hard of thinking here; how does that stack up?

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:58 pm

This is currently doing the rounds on social media
Attachments
IMG_4499.PNG
IMG_4499.PNG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 2409 times

ngsobob
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 282 times

Post by ngsobob » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Seems to me that the Commission didn't take much notice of the addiction aspect in their sanctioning. Gambling is a mental health issue. In my view, they should have shown more compassion. Eighteen months shows none. But then, punishment is the de fault setting for crimes and misdemeanours these days.