25 years ago - We went to York in our thousands

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

25 years ago - We went to York in our thousands

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:44 am

I can't believe it is 25 years but it was when the climb back started as we finally got ourselves out of the fourth division after seven long years. It was a brilliant night at York:

Still time for a winner maybe
It's a terrific run
John Francis
They came to York in their thousands
They're going home as Champions
These 3 users liked this post: bfcjg RingoMcCartney BFCmaj

SloughClarets
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 155 times

Re: 25 years ago - We went to York in our thousands

Post by SloughClarets » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:56 am

Still remains my favourite ever away game !
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:57 am

ClaretTony wrote:I can't believe it is 25 years but it was when the climb back started as we finally got ourselves out of the fourth division after seven long years. It was a brilliant night at York:

Still time for a winner maybe
It's a terrific run
John Francis
They came to York in their thousands
They're going home as Champions
Happy days...just like now in a different sort of way.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:01 am

South West Claret. wrote:Happy days...just like now in a different sort of way.
It was bringing to an end some dark days but that season was remarkable and that night at York remains a special one. We were among those who wouldn't have made kick off had it not been delayed to get the crowd in. Although I'd have preferred to have been on the open end, we had got tickets in the main stand for which I was thankful in the end, otherwise we'd have been struggling to get in.

The most worrying thing is that it seems not too long ago - can't believe it is 25 years and it's certainly been a good 25 years for our club generally after the wobble in the 1990s.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tim_noone

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:03 am

Brilliant....remember JF hanging on the fence like it was yesterday. :D

Anyone recall the lads who climbed onto that hut in the corner and wouldn't come down? :lol: :lol:
Incredible support, great night.

ThinLizzy
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 221 times

Post by ThinLizzy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 am

Went up there with my Dad and rather bizarrely a Partick Thistle fan he worked with. He was genuinely thrilled to come and watch us as he remembered us back in the 60's. Quite possibly my favourite away day. It really was a magnificent evening. The police were brilliant too and took it all in good spirits. I remember them play kick ball with inflatables with the crowd.
Couldn't see much of the match as we were late arrivals, got there about five minutes before kick off, so were right at the back but the atmosphere was amazing.

Paranoid
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Paranoid » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:08 am

Was stood directly in front of the hut and remember the police arriving with a ladder to climb onto the roof, as they placed the ladder the lads on the roof lifted it up to the disbelief of the police!
Great night and the rest as they say is history!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:13 am

Parking was a nightmare I still wake up in sweats about it as I just abandoned the car in the end, at 5 foot 6 I am not sure I saw that much of the game as my calf muscles were stretched beyond belief, however I was there and it was a brilliant feeling.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:22 am

That was crazy night, one of the best footballing nights ever.
Me and the girl-friend stayed over in York and the morning after we accidentally left a bag of, how to put this, interesting items under the bed in the hotel room. No, we didn't ring up to ask for them back :oops:

I was standing just behind the fence where JF leapt up.............it makes you put where we are right now into perspective.
UTC

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:24 am

This user liked this post: Cirrus_Minor

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:25 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:it makes you put where we are right now into perspective.
Doesn't it just
These 2 users liked this post: ElectroClaret evensteadiereddie

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 am

I can't remember what happened yesterday but remember every minute of that night 25 years ago and can't believe it was so long ago.

We were sat at the back of the main stand and went wild when that goal went in.

One of the best nights in Claret's history.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:34 am

Top night in a great season, there's a fair few of us who started going with the club already in the 4th and that's the first success we'd ever seen.
These 6 users liked this post: quoonbeatz Lancasterclaret Enola Gay cricketfieldclarets Spijed BFCmaj

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:37 am

Whats Notts said. Absolutely brilliant night and for those of us who'd only starting following in the 4th, the beginning of where (still can't believe it sometimes) we are now.
These 3 users liked this post: Leisure Smallpaul jdrobbo

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:38 am

Wasn't no where near old enough to go but watching that puts a tear in the eye.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:42 am

My favourite away game. Will always remember it, the crowds, John Francis, the pitch invasion, chanting Jimmy Mullen's name. The doldrums were over and it was the start of the road back.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:46 am

NottsClaret wrote:Top night in a great season, there's a fair few of us who started going with the club already in the 4th and that's the first success we'd ever seen.
spot on.

i've been going for 30 years this year so i count myself really lucky that its pretty much been an upward curve over that time. that season remains one of the highest points.

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 am

Their TV video man was there to film from a flat roof on a building by the side of the main stand.

A group of Burnley supporters climbed his ladder to the flat roof to get a top class view.

The video man, frightened about his expensive equipment, called the police to remove the intruders.

The police climbed the ladder and got the Burnley supporters down the ladder.

The last Burnley supporter walked away with the ladder leaving the video man and York's finest on a roof with no ladder.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:13 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Whats Notts said. Absolutely brilliant night and for those of us who'd only starting following in the 4th, the beginning of where (still can't believe it sometimes) we are now.
For you and the others who started back then, seeing our first success, it had to be special. For those of us who could remember the great team of the 1960s I think it was just as special. It was hard to see the club drop so far from where we thought it should be so that night remains a magical one for me.

Looking at the video, I saw my old friend George Bray sat there in the dug out. I always remember him keep telling me back in the old fourth division days that one day we'd be back in the top division. I don't think he believed it any more than I did, but George was right. I think he'd even have a smile on his face if he could see us now.

I loved the recent promotions, and Wembley, even more so the play off win at Reading. I don't know what it is though, but none quite so magical for me as that night at York.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:33 am

Heck.....25 years...
Really doesn't seem that long ago.
After all the hurt and struggles down in the basement, it really was an amazing experience.
Been a good few highs since, but York was one of the great platforms of our climb back from a place we just didn't want to be.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:42 am

Ive said it before and will again. That season remains my favourite ever. Unless we win a major honour doubt it will be topped. And even then it would probably only matched.

The season I was born was the season we dropped to the 4th division. My first game was 1986 against Cambridge. (First memory 88 at wembley).

I had only seen us struggle. Only seen is at the lowest end. And as a 6 / 7 year old in 1991/92 it was the seson and age where I really started to vividly remember things.

I had just moved to Burnley towards to latter end of that season too and started school in Burnley. So everything felt even more important. Not even sure thats the right word but I know what I mean. By the time york came I lived within minutes of the ground. Could see it every day I went to school. And the floodlights were the backdrop of every kickabout I had with my mates. So it was more real.

The game was special. Remember everything about the day. We went over as a family. Mum, dad, brother and sister. I knew it was a big game as the whole family were together. Remember silly things. The queues to get in. The smell of pies and smoke. And my first mars bar :lol: dont know why I remember that but had never had one before.

The game itself i remember bits of but there was so much going on. Remember the bright yellow kits. Remember both of our goals bit not so much of theirs. And remember the pitch invasion.

That game or rather that season was the reason we are where we are now. Stuck in that leavue for too long. But in Mullen we had a manager who had a real connection with the fans. It still saddens me how it ended but thats for another thread. He knew what the club meant to the town. How important it was for us to have success again. And built a team and style of football that entertained. For him to get us up to what is now the championship made us all realise that nothing is impossible and reminded us and the football world that we are a proper club with both history and potential on and off the field.

The players were great. And players like Conroy, Francis, Eli, Deary, Randall even Pearce were heroes not just for kids like me but for grown ups. The important thing was that they were real people. Many of them probably didnt earn any more or much more money than the normal man. Because they were normal men but not playing for a normal club. They were the last breed of heroes and players that had that connection amd similarity with the fans and thats another reason it remains so special. No primadonnas. No fancy cars. No management speak. No overcomplicating things. They just did their job. Which happened to be getting Burnley promoted.

I am lucky. As are many others. The majority of my life as a claret has been on an upward curve. I never forget where we came from but thanks to Mullen and that season I will never forget where we can go to!
These 5 users liked this post: quoonbeatz Bertiebeehead Amex Vegas Claret tim_noone

Jimscho
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by Jimscho » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:42 am

Like many others best away game I have been to and the atmosphere was tremendous.No one slept in York after the game finished.It was my birthday as well.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:51 am

Jimscho wrote:It was my birthday as well.
I spotted that this morning on the birthday list - three of you too. We've certainly won more than we've lost on my birthday but I certainly can't lay claim to anything as good as this.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:51 am

I share my birthday with Mullen. Maybe thats why I loved him haha.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:12 am

Brilliant night,as CT said earlier, for us older fans who will always remember the heady days of the 60's to have something to be proud of again but apart from the game itself one of my abiding memories is of walking back to the car afterwards with my son then aged 12 and my daughter then aged 14 singing 'Jimmy Mullen's Claret and Blue Army's arm in arm. They had certainly served their apprenticeship over the previous few seasons but their reward was finally there. 25 years on and we still all go together to the match but that one in particular takes some beating.
These 4 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Leisure Steve-Harpers-perm tim_noone

BB8
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by BB8 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:27 am

These 2 users liked this post: quoonbeatz Vegas Claret

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by edlass » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:34 am

Sounds like a Brilliant match and season to be a part of.

My first season was Jimmy Mullen after the relegation back to Division two and the worry was that we were going back there again, especially when we played Plymouth in the Chris Waddle season.

Luckily we didn't and that season 25 years ago is still the start of the climb.

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:43 am

Am I the only one that is still waiting for offside to be given for their goal? He might not have been if you saw the whole picture but he looks miles off on the bit you see.

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:51 am

Was a brilliant end to a brilliant season.

Being on that terrace behind the goal along with the sherpa van terrace at Preston are 2 memories that will never leave, makes you realise how much it is a shame these days for the younger ones to never get to experience proper terracing.
These 3 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret RingoMcCartney tim_noone

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:41 pm

I was there that night, in the stand with the away end to my right.
Absolutely mental when Super Johnny Francis scored.
The original fixture was postponed following the tragic death of Ben Lee, so I always take moment to reflect on that when this anniversary comes around.
Both events are forever connected in my mind.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Smallpaul

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 pm

Great night and one I'll never forget...... I'd love Jimmy Mullen to do the half time draw one day, without him I very much doubt we'd be where we are today!
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tim_noone

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Barry_Chuckle wrote:Great night and one I'll never forget...... I'd love Jimmy Mullen to do the half time draw one day, without him I very much doubt we'd be where we are today!
So long as he's sober! ;)

Seriously though, it was a great night and frightening to think it was 25 years ago. I remember climbing over the now already crushed railings to get on the pitch at the end, and whilst there I remember hugging John Deary as he ran tried to run past me! I can also recall when the players came out into the main stand along with a few Club officials. The crowd where chanting "Jimmy Mullen's Claret and Blue Army" and Mark Yates started gesticulating towards Frank Teasdale... the crowd immediately started chanting "Teasdale Out" Brilliant! :lol:
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Amazing night, have to agree with the parking the tail back started almost in Harrogate going to the game. The game had heart ache, tension and glory. John Francis is still one of my all time favourite Clarets, Jimmy Mullen still one of my all time favourite Burnley managers.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:49 pm

I was at the Scarborough away game when we lost 3-1 to 10 men after which Jimmy Mullen took over. If anyone had told me that day we would go up as champions I would have had them certified. Carlisle was a great day out, but York will stay in my mind forever as my favourite away game.

ElectroClaret

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm

I don't know why it was, but Jimmy Mullen just seemed to have an affinity with the fans
that I've rarely felt with Burnley managers. Maybe it was the general aura around the club as we fought
back from the bad old days of the mid to late Eighties.
All i know is games like York and the famous Cup replay at Derby generated amazing levels of support
I don't think we've bettered. (I think the reporter John Sadler said as much about that game at Derby.
His article was posted on here by CT i think.)

Fabulous times. :D
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Steve1956

Adrianthepostman
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 212 times

Post by Adrianthepostman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm

I remember going up to Carlisle and everyone was celebrating before kick off, then ended up drawing so we had to wait
Then turning up to get into Bootham crescent after doing the Micklegate mile and having to queue for ages breaking our necks for a p!ss
Well worth the wait though, one of the best away games i've ever been to

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:07 pm

claretdom wrote: makes you realise how much it is a shame these days for the younger ones to never get to experience proper terracing.

And us being able to hold a tune.

I don't think it matters if you started watching Burnley in the 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's, it'll be up there with the greatest of nights following Burnley.

I was talking to John Francis in the concourse of the Longside about 7 years ago (I forget which match), he was with his missus and kids. It was only a brief conversation as too many hero worshippers saw him and 'Super Johnny Francis' went up as loud as ever. 8-)

The evening at York was soured somewhat though because Steve Davis played for us. ;)

Stevie, Stevie Davis
Stevie, Stevie Davis

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Watching that again actually brought a tear to my eye,Jimmy Mullen will always have a place in my heart,the way he set us off on our journey back to the top division will always have a special place in our history,pity he was treated badly when it all turned sour by our own fans,take a bow Jimmy I will always appreciate what you did for our fantastic football club.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Was this the last time we won an away game?
These 2 users liked this post: gawthorpe_view tim_noone

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Was this the last time we won an away game?
Feels like it Paul!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:07 pm

I went to quite a few away games that year including Rochdale and Carlisle in the run in, i was 12 years old and can remember listening in to the commentry on Radio Lancs, didn't know at the time that my dad went and didn't take me, i was gutted when i found out !

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1155 times
Has Liked: 783 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Still my favourite season since "records began" in 1977

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1041 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by MrTopTier » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Brilliant brilliant night, went in several pubs on the way back and every one was rammed with Burnley fans.

ElectroClaret

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:53 pm

I remember the Old Bill did their usual trick of blocking all the turn offs
from the A59 into Skipton.

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Went in the open end and it was obvious we were bringing thousands. Asked a steward to let us into the main stand, and the floodgates opened with loads following us. At the final whistle I nearly broke both legs when I stood on my seat to clamber onto the pitch, and it collapsed trapping me in it. Tit. Ended up in a lock-in in some remote pub and don't know how I managed to get to work the next day. Splendid night. Wasn't there a small pitch invasion from our supporters in their end when they thought the whistle had gone?

Ilkley claret
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Ilkley claret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Ruined my best Burtons suit celebrating on the pitch after the game having driven straight from work in London to make the game

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:16 pm

A fantastic night went with my dad on the supporters coach. Was right at the front with my cousins when the winner went in what a moment! Was in first year at Teds at the time and like many posters above we'd not had much to celebrate up till then!

Never get bored of watching the clip of the winner! Super Johnny Francis!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:29 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I can't believe it is 25 years but it was when the climb back started as we finally got ourselves out of the fourth division after seven long years. It was a brilliant night at York
that's exactly why I would hope one day the club can persuade Jimmy to come out on the pitch at half time, deserves a massive ovation and he never got one

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:30 pm

bust my knee jumping on the pitch at the end, didn't hurt until the following day but well worth it - my favourite away game ever

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:36 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:that's exactly why I would hope one day the club can persuade Jimmy to come out on the pitch at half time, deserves a massive ovation and he never got one
It's an interesting one - the fans loved him at the time but it was Frank Casper the players had great respect for, not Jimmy Mullen.