Two steps​ forward, one step back

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Two steps​ forward, one step back

Post by Croydon Claret » Fri May 05, 2017 9:15 am

It's been a long 30 year recovery since the Orient game, with the overall direction being an upward one.

But which managers left us in a worse place after their tenure; either because of league position or a worse group of players. Or any other reason

Chris Waddle would be the outstanding candidate for me

alicante claret
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Re: Two steps​ forward, one step back

Post by alicante claret » Fri May 05, 2017 9:20 am

Laws was difficult to defend.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Fri May 05, 2017 9:23 am

alicante claret wrote:Laws was difficult to defend.
Probably didn't help that the players were still pining for Coyle.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri May 05, 2017 9:26 am

Miller and Casper both took us as far as they could before Mullen led us out of the division. Sad how that ended but he definitely left is in a better place.

Heath showed some promise and flirted with the play offs but we were on a downward curve from the moment John Ward left him.

It was always going to be difficult for Waddle taking over from that, although he showed very little evidence of managerial ability.

Stan left us in a higher division than he joined is, but again, we were heading in the wrong direction and Cotterill had to pick up a real mess.

Cotterill, despite some awful football and a real malaise when he left, at least handed over a decent squad.

Coyle, like Stan left having taken us a division higher left a mess, due to the timing and decimating the back room staff.

Laws, like Waddle was a poor choice and had little chance of succeeding.

Howe, like Cotterill, despite not really taking us anywhere, at least brought some good players to the come who his successor would benefit from.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri May 05, 2017 9:36 am

alicante claret wrote:Laws was difficult to defend.
It split opinion at the time, as Laws was passed the shitty end of the stick.
But the stories that have come out since, about the lack of discipline in the dressing room, engendered by Coyle, it's amazing he did as well as he did. He tried to sort them out, and some of the pros were happy with the cushy life. He really didn't have a chance.

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by edlass » Fri May 05, 2017 9:36 am

the waddle season was one of my earliest so I didn't pay as much attention to anything other than the actual team sheet and matches (I wish I could still do the same). But I remembered him having a decent second half to the season. I was only a kid but am I right about that? I remember beating champions watford 2-0 at the turf and my dad saying. Why can't we play like that every week?

as for how he left us at the end. I guess expensive crap players, so I get that one.

I have been lucky to be a fan during the upturn, mullen I only remember people chanting for him to go. heath I remember leaving for Everton. Then waddle was he near miss but onwards and upwards thereafter! lucky me.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Fri May 05, 2017 9:39 am

Eddie Howe took us from the brink of the play offs to bottom half and even worse football than played under Laws and destroyed the youth set up.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Fri May 05, 2017 10:07 am

Laws was on a hiding to nothing before a ball had been kicked. I give him a "Get out of jail free" card

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 05, 2017 10:08 am

Miller - took over a complete mess in 1986 with no money and, after that first season, did improve us and left us better than he found us.
Casper - play offs in his last season and left a squad that won us promotion out of the fourth division.
Mullen - ups and then downs and thankfully went before we went back to where he found us, but forever will be remembered as the manager who got us out of the fourth division.
Heath - fell out with all and sundry, his record without John Ward was 24 points in 24 games. Didn't move us forward at all.
Waddle - disastrous season that was saved in the end. Whether things would have improved with him we'll never go, but certainly not a success.
Ternent - after a difficult start he moved us up to the next level although that last two and a half years were poor. Definitely left us better than he found us.
Cotterill - I know many didn't like the football but he slowly built the squad and left us with one all but ready to win promotion.
Coyle - no matter what he did, he got us into the Premier League and left us better than he found us without a doubt.
Laws - never had a chance although he wasn't right for the job. The players treated him appallingly.
Howe - same players tried the same stunts with Howe as they had with Laws but he got rid of them. Not a success for me, was allowed to dismantle the youth department, we were lower down the league when he left and I thought the football was turgid. Was thankful when he left. Having said that, you can't underestimate the job he's done at Bournemouth, it's outstanding.
Dyche - close to being on a par with Harry Potts for me as the best manager I've seen at Burnley. Those who know me and know what I thought of Harry will realise how high a praise that is for our current manager.
This user liked this post: KeighleyClaret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri May 05, 2017 10:10 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Miller and Casper both took us as far as they could before Mullen led us out of the division. Sad how that ended but he definitely left is in a better place.

Heath showed some promise and flirted with the play offs but we were on a downward curve from the moment John Ward left him.

It was always going to be difficult for Waddle taking over from that, although he showed very little evidence of managerial ability.

Stan left us in a higher division than he joined is, but again, we were heading in the wrong direction and Cotterill had to pick up a real mess.

Cotterill, despite some awful football and a real malaise when he left, at least handed over a decent squad.

Coyle, like Stan left having taken us a division higher left a mess, due to the timing and decimating the back room staff.

Laws, like Waddle was a poor choice and had little chance of succeeding.

Howe, like Cotterill, despite not really taking us anywhere, at least brought some good players to the come who his successor would benefit from.
I know John Bond came before Orient game - but shouldn't he be at the top of the list of managers that left us worse off?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 05, 2017 10:11 am

Paul Waine wrote:I know John Bond came before Orient game - but shouldn't he be at the top of the list of managers that left us worse off?
Absolutely not, he left us where he found us in the third division with arguably a better squad. Benson was the one who took us to the fourth division. He's the worst of the lot alongside Tommy Cavanagh.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri May 05, 2017 10:21 am

ClaretTony wrote:Absolutely not, he left us where he found us in the third division with arguably a better squad. Benson was the one who took us to the fourth division. He's the worst of the lot alongside Tommy Cavanagh.
And Martin Buchan left us before he found us CT !
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 05, 2017 10:31 am

RocketLawnChair wrote:And Martin Buchan left us before he found us CT !
Hardly worth mentioning him to be honest - 11 league games and he was gone. Strange appointment in that Teasdale had already told Tommy Hutchison he'd got the job. Buchan offered Hutch the number two role, I don't know which words he used but he declined the offer.

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Fri May 05, 2017 10:42 am

Laws signed Marney. That, for me, is his 'get out of jail free' card

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:44 am

Bond! End of.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

I would like to more about 'The players treated Laws appallingly' and the 'same players tried the same stunts with Howe as they had with Laws but he got rid of them.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Fri May 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Hipper wrote:I would like to more about 'The players treated Laws appallingly' and the 'same players tried the same stunts with Howe as they had with Laws but he got rid of them.
Remember ABC banging on about Howe being unable to manage senior players?

Those same senior players are the ones who gave Laws the most aggro from what I remember seeing on CM

Howe turning up and clearing them out was a good thing for the club.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Remember ABC banging on about Howe being unable to manage senior players?

Those same senior players are the ones who gave Laws the most aggro from what I remember seeing on CM

Howe turning up and clearing them out was a good thing for the club.
Who where these players Sidney.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Fri May 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Who where these players Sidney.
I haven't got names just bits I remember reading on CM.

CT will know more then me, but its generally accepted now that the players didn't put in the same shift for Laws as they did for Coyle.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sat May 06, 2017 10:15 am

Was this addressed in Carlisle's book?