You reap what you sow

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
HelloHiGoodbye
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 308 times

You reap what you sow

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Sun May 07, 2017 3:43 pm

We've known it for a while. We've known it but this season has confirmed it by being a microcosm of the last thirty or so years. Burnley and Blackburn are extraordinarily similar, as teams and as towns, with proud histories, lodged in the most condense football environment in the country. But it's in a Burnley supporter's DNA to understand the differences. And the key one being that Burnley have a humble, pragmatic approach whereas Rovers have been inflated and polished.

For many supporters, of both sides, the rivalry is a big part of what defines our passion and it's been based upon Burnley being the plucky paupers and Rovers being the Premier League outfit. For so long, most supporters - whether you were born in the 70s, 80s or 90s - have been given that hand.

Now however, as Burnley are transformed on and off the pitch - Rovers are sinking. And what's neat and pleasing is that the success of one and the demise of the other are direct exhibits of those decade-old identities. Burnley's frugality, modesty and sense have been rewarded at the exact same time that the previous enormous and evidently unsustainable investment of Jack Walker is coming back to bite Blackburn Rovers.

Everything Burnley spend has been earned. That principle might not produce points alone, it might not be tangible and it has sometimes triggered frustration but overall, Burnley fans know that any achievement has been the reward for graft and planning. It's organic.

The training facilities - earned. The record transfers - earned. The stadium developments - earned. A place in the Premier League - earned.

They'll never admit it but Blackburn fans can't claim any of that.

And now, as Burnley's internationals settle into their new training facilities and as the board look to strengthen what is already the best Burnley team in decades... Blackburn are relegated to the third tier amongst spiralling debts from a carcass they can't ignore.

And both clubs are reaping what they've sown.
These 51 users liked this post: Wexford_Claret Clarets4me Claretmatt4 Andingle JohnMac paulus the woodgnome Vino blanco RoystonVasey Rowls ElectroClaret boiledclaret Greenmile PaintYorkClaretnBlue Jenna S0S-1971 Leisure Putneyclaret Colburn_Claret Duffer_ ClaretMoffitt Joe14 SussexDon1inIreland cockneyclaret IndigoLake Walt Murger simonclaret KRBFC Diesel Claretrew fatboy47 Burnley_Mark jedi_master bfcjg Claretforshaw Silverturf Longside4evr BleedingClaret St Austell Claret Damo Cajun Amex cloughyclaret FulledgeClaret Lancasterclaret Anonymous nil_desperandum Jonboyclayton Claretitus Rats_cle Manceau

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: You reap what you sow

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Dont forget a certain Mr Coyle

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2339 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun May 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Great post, my friend, it seems that the " House that Jack built " was constructed on foundations of sand....
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Top post.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun May 07, 2017 3:52 pm

Excellent summary!

UTC

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Sun May 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Funny thing is they were relegated from the prem 5 years ago today. Great 5 year plan from the Venkys!!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun May 07, 2017 3:59 pm

It's never nice to see a fellow north west team get relegated, so I hope they bounce straight back to the championship.

WIGAN!
These 3 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland KateR Silverturf

boiledclaret
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 1022 times

Post by boiledclaret » Sun May 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Maybe we'll be accused of being bad winners but today really is special.
I know that some people will say 'stop your gloating' and 'these are fans just like ourselves'

Anyone who had the misfortune to work and socialize with Rovers fans during the Jack Walker era will know how sweet today really is. The icing on the cake for me is that 'those' Rovers fans will know it too and understand why they won't be getting any sympathy. :twisted: :lol:
These 3 users liked this post: Flatline Dazzler bfcjg

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Sun May 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Excellent post!

S0S-1971
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by S0S-1971 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:21 pm

boiledclaret wrote:Maybe we'll be accused of being bad winners but today really is special.
I know that some people will say 'stop your gloating' and 'these are fans just like ourselves'

Anyone who had the misfortune to work and socialize with Rovers fans during the Jack Walker era will know how sweet today really is. The icing on the cake for me is that 'those' Rovers fans will know it too and understand why they won't be getting any sympathy. :twisted: :lol:

And anyone who was at Ewood park during the 5-0 demolition

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Sun May 07, 2017 4:28 pm

One of the best posts ever written on this forum, should be pinned

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun May 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Their fans used to look down their noses at teams in the championship. They mocked it by calling it the "chumpionship" and when it was the coca cola championship they sneeringly called it the "fizzy pop league"

Oh how they'd love to be starting their season in the "chumpionship" or the "fizzy pop league "!

You do , indeed, reap what you saw......

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3597 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun May 07, 2017 4:53 pm

That post sums it all up.

It's pleasing to think that I, as a child of 86, have seen my small town team rise from the depths of despair at the foot of Division Four to the point we now sit. As a kid it was just common knowledge to me that Blackburn were up there with loads of money, and we were down here with none - that was the hand I had been dealt and it didn't really bother me. I classed Preston as our rivals as we were similarly sized clubs on the same financial footing, whereas Blackburn, at the time, were light years away signing the likes of Sutton and Shearer.

My fiancee is pregnant, due to give birth to our first child on the 4th of August, and I cannot say how happy it makes me to realise that my daughter will never know of the times when Blackburn were 'the' Lancashire team. She will be born into supporting a club which is a media darling for being a well run, progressive, financially sound and successful club that is the toast of the county. When I explain the intricacies of rivalries, and mention Blackburn Rovers, it will seem laughable to think of how that same conversation went when my Dad explained the same to me. At the time, it seemed irrelevant as the chasm was so large between the two that I never even acknowledged the 'rivalry'.

The same will be true of now, but from a very different perspective. What a difference 30 years makes.
These 2 users liked this post: Claretrew Amex

clarethrough
Been Liked: 36 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by clarethrough » Sun May 07, 2017 5:01 pm

at 86 years of age should'nt you be more careful
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum roamingclaret

Burnley_Mark
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Post by Burnley_Mark » Sun May 07, 2017 5:07 pm

S0S-1971 wrote:And anyone who was at Ewood park during the 5-0 demolition
To this day I hate James Brown's "I feel good" and those stupid blow up flappy dancing abominations.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun May 07, 2017 5:13 pm

Remember when in the mid-1990s when JW arrived, their fans used to wave banknotes
at rival fans and sing "we've loads and loads o' money."?

Brilliant. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Sun May 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Amazingly the verdict on radio Lancs at the end of the match today was that the Venkys need to throw millions at it...
They seem un aware that that has already been done and has warded off worse predicaments than today's
They will soon be advocating signings that we'd know we're still out of our league
They'll be saying they should have gotten Benitez

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sun May 07, 2017 5:54 pm

These 3 users liked this post: Burnley_Mark FulledgeClaret Claretitus

pureclaret
Been Liked: 433 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Sun May 07, 2017 6:33 pm

As a fan of football I hope they bounce back collectively we need to have well placed teams in Lancashire for the benefit of all.
As a Claret I want us to beat local teams home and away every season.
This user liked this post: ElectroClaret

Man of Kent
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Man of Kent » Sun May 07, 2017 6:48 pm

HelloHiGoodbye wrote: Blackburn are relegated to the third tier amongst spiralling debts from a carcass they can't ignore.

And both clubs are reaping what they've sown.
"Carcass" - what a great choice of a killer and descriptive word. Sums them up perfectly.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun May 07, 2017 6:50 pm

pureclaret wrote:As a fan of football I hope they bounce back collectively we need to have well placed teams in Lancashire for the benefit of all.
As a Claret I want us to beat local teams home and away every season.
I hope they bounce straight into division two. Ba*****s.

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 278 times
Has Liked: 3308 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Sun May 07, 2017 6:51 pm

I would love them to do a Stockport..

HelloHiGoodbye
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 308 times

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Sun May 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Man of Kent wrote:"Carcass" - what a great choice of a killer and descriptive word. Sums them up perfectly.
Thanks - was spoilt for choice really. Shipwreck, ghost, carrion, corpse, shitstorm...