ARTICLE: Adamson makes a Noble signing

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

ARTICLE: Adamson makes a Noble signing

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 08, 2017 10:09 am

News of Burnley's only signing following promotion in 1973

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/adamson-mak ... le-signing
This user liked this post: minnieclaret

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7197 times

Re: ARTICLE: Adamson makes a Noble signing

Post by Quicknick » Mon May 08, 2017 10:12 am

If Peter was in his prime now, he'd be in Burnley's team. A midfielder who can defend and scores at the rate he did would be perfect. Out of the side between 1972 and 1975 I'd say these players would also get into our team now: Dobson, Casper, James and maybe Newton and Fletcher.

EDIT: with Collins on the bench.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Mon May 08, 2017 10:15 am

Quicknick wrote:If Peter was in his prime now, he'd be in Burnley's team. A midfielder who can defend and scores at the rate he did would be perfect. Out of the side between 1972 and 1975 I'd say these players would also get into our team now: Dobson, Casper, James and maybe Newton and Fletcher.

As you said 72 could I give a nod to Dave Thomas?

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:20 am

Quicknick wrote:If Peter was in his prime now, he'd be in Burnley's team. A midfielder who can defend and scores at the rate he did would be perfect. Out of the side between 1972 and 1975 I'd say these players would also get into our team now: Dobson, Casper, James and maybe Newton and Fletcher.

No need for the "maybe" before Newton and Fletcher...they'd walk into the side. I like old "schnozzer" Ward but Newton was absolute class.
This user liked this post: bobinho

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 08, 2017 10:25 am

Keith Newton really was a class act

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon May 08, 2017 10:32 am

ClaretTony wrote:Keith Newton really was a class act
Fully agree CT. Keith Newton was the best free transfer have ever had and would walk into the present side along with at least half a dozen of his team mates from the '70's team.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 7571 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 am

We've never been a 'buying' club, but Peter is up there amongst the best.
Amidst everything that's gone on these last couple of days, Uwe's passing puts a deeply sad perspective on things.

Sad it many times, that team we had back then was only a player or two short of a league title.
Peter Noble would have been integral to it.
This user liked this post: ashtonlongsider

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon May 08, 2017 10:57 am

Don't think your far wrong there Buxton. Of our present team possibly Keane and Mee and debatably Heaton over Stevenson would fit in to the '70's side and make it a team fighting for the title. No disrespect to either Waldron or Thompson who were both immense.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7197 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon May 08, 2017 11:21 am

minnieclaret wrote:As you said 72 could I give a nod to Dave Thomas?
I'd forgotten about Thomas. He was brilliant. His best games were for Everton, I feel.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:28 am

Peter Noble was the ultimate model professional. Unassuming, but very good at what he was paid to do. What would he cost today? Fair to say he'd be outside our pay structure and not looking towards opening a sports stall on the market after he retired. But what do I know? It probably 'suited him down to the ground' getting up in the morning doing something he enjoyed. Seems to be how he lived his life; providing for people to the best of his ability. A true gentleman. A Clarets legend. R.I.P. Peter Noble.
These 4 users liked this post: beeholeclaret fatboy47 the_magic_rat Jakubs Tash

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 am

Nice post Silky,

You summed Uwe up beautifully. The term legend is vastly over-used nowadays but Peter Noble epitomises everything that was once good in football.

brunlea99
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 314 times

Post by brunlea99 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:01 pm

It was with a heavy heart and a tear in my eye when I read of his passing. To the many who did not have the privilege of seeing him play, I'd like to refer you to the late Liverpool manager Bob Paisley who, after he retired was asked to name his favourite team of players who he would have loved to have playing in his team. There were two from the Burnley team of the time - Peter Noble and Paul Fletcher.

He was that good.
This user liked this post: bobinho

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 08, 2017 1:27 pm

brunlea99 wrote:It was with a heavy heart and a tear in my eye when I read of his passing. To the many who did not have the privilege of seeing him play, I'd like to refer you to the late Liverpool manager Bob Paisley who, after he retired was asked to name his favourite team of players who he would have loved to have playing in his team. There were two from the Burnley team of the time - Peter Noble and Paul Fletcher.

He was that good.
Paisley made offers for both of them

Swindon Red
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Swindon Red » Mon May 08, 2017 6:18 pm

As a long time Swindon fan I felt I had to add something to the tributes from your club's great fans. I saw Peter make his debut for us in 1968. He came on as a sub with us 3 -0 down and scored twice as well as hitting the bar. Brave, unselfish, full of running and fantastic in the air he remains one of us Swindon fans all time legends. He played a major part in our League Cup campaign in 1969 and I was at The Hawthorn's when he volleyed home the winner in extra time against your lads. He was playing strapped up with a broken rib and you had a fantastic young team - Steve Kindon, Dave Thomas et al. The most exciting game I have ever seen.

We were all devastated when he was given away to you for £35k but delighted for him when he continued his thoroughly deserved success. I couldn't believe it when I saw him playing as a full back but he was such an intelligent and committed player he made a huge success of it. His penalty record for you is Roy of the Rovers stuff. So very very sad to hear of his death, the world has lost a wonderful person. RIP Peter.
These 4 users liked this post: Duffer_ tally Silkyskills1 ClaretTony

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 511 times
Has Liked: 1062 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon May 08, 2017 6:31 pm

I was so starstruck I used to wander around the market just watching him. Never spoke to him, ever. Did look at the gear he sold but as I said, totally starstruck.Certainly in my top 10 favourite Clarets. If I was to pick a team I would either have him in the team, or he would be our sub if I could only name one. I know Andy Farrell played in every position, but Peter could have done that if required and with no disrepect meant, Peter was a better player and would still have scored regularly whichever position he played.

Jacka
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Jacka » Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Bloody hell im ok until I log on to this place.

Thanks again for the wonderful memories you've all provided.