Bournemouth/Defoe

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: Bournemouth/Defoe

Post by TVC15 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Sidney1st wrote:
Nor am I questioning anyone's intelligence, just can't understand why people can't see the link between longevity and goals record.

Anyway, bored of going round in circles.
Just like the rest of us are struggling to understand why you can`t see the link between longevity and being a good striker.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 pm

161 PL goals + 484 PL appearances = slightly better than average? Baffling.

What's just as baffling is using his longevity in the top flight as justification for saying he has only been slightly better than average.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets TVC15

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:07 pm

TVC15 wrote:Why a bit weird ? We signed Cork in the summer just like they signed Defoe in the summer.

Surely the debate is about the transfer policy as a whole rather than picking out just the bad one or two individual transfers. Bournemouth`s transfer record has not been that great recently. Begovic - £10m and £50k a week not been great ; Are - £20m and will be on a lot of money ; Defoe wages of best part of £20m ; Jordan Ibe - £16m and hardly ever plays ; Afobe £10m always on the bench and now back at Wolves. Yes they have made a couple of good / cheap signings in Stanislas and Josh King but overall they have spent a hell of a lot of money and do not appear to have improved their team much.

Our record in the transfer market is better than most (if not all) teams in the division so it seems pretty reasonable for fans to be having a dig at other clubs are being run. There are a lot of clubs who are fighting relegation who have made multiple £15m to £20m signings who have been flops. For the likes of Everton, West Ham and Leicester they have made a few £25m to £35m flop signings.
Its bournemouths choice if they want to spend £15m/£25m on players. They sign players for what they are happy paying and give them a chance. Different clubs have different approaches. Im just highlighting that even if we haven’t paid huge fees or wages it still cost us a lot of money having players like Wells.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Dyched wrote:Its bournemouths choice if they want to spend £15m/£25m on players. They sign players for what they are happy paying and give them a chance. Different clubs have different approaches. Im just highlighting that even if we haven’t paid huge fees or wages it still cost us a lot of money having players like Wells.
Of course its their choice - that's not the debate.
The debate is the success or failure of the signings being made.

I am pretty sure that Dyche and the club had good reasons for buying Wells. It does not look like its worked out (yet) and yes a £5m fee and his wages appears a lot of money....but in this day and age it really isn't and relative to what other clubs have spent in the market and the many poor and expensive signings in this league our dealings in the transfer market are better than most teams in the league.

Some of our fans seem overly obsessed with criticising the Wells signings - just like they were with Sordell and Juke. Personally i just don't get it when you see all the great signings we have made for hardly any money and then you see much worse players being signed for other clubs for tens of millions. I shudder to think the reaction on this message board if we had the transfer record of some of the clubs in the league who are currently fighting relegation.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:31 pm

I cant criticise Dyche. I did question the wels signjng though. Made no sense at all at the time. We woudve been better banking the money and relying on agyei as the emergency backup. And thats not hindsight. We all knew wells was out until December and unlikely to be match fit by January. At which pount he would have had 6 months on his contract left at a club that didnt want him.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Fwiw i backed juke and sordell to the end. To the point its worrying how much i lost on backing them to score :lol:

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Defoe only has a good goal scoring record because he’s good at shooting.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Dyched

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:08 pm

TVC15 wrote:Of course its their choice - that's not the debate.
The debate is the success or failure of the signings being made.

I am pretty sure that Dyche and the club had good reasons for buying Wells. It does not look like its worked out (yet) and yes a £5m fee and his wages appears a lot of money....but in this day and age it really isn't and relative to what other clubs have spent in the market and the many poor and expensive signings in this league our dealings in the transfer market are better than most teams in the league.

Some of our fans seem overly obsessed with criticising the Wells signings - just like they were with Sordell and Juke. Personally i just don't get it when you see all the great signings we have made for hardly any money and then you see much worse players being signed for other clubs for tens of millions. I shudder to think the reaction on this message board if we had the transfer record of some of the clubs in the league who are currently fighting relegation.
I wasn’t criticising Dyches signings. I simply compared a signing by us (wells) and a signing by bournemouth (defoe). Both not worked out. On the face of it our signing was cheaper. Yet works out far more expensive per minute played. We have made some outstanfing signings since he’s been here. I never have or will question our signings. But if we are questioning other clubs signings that havent worked out then we cant ignore our own.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2632 times
Has Liked: 6442 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:22 pm

You can’t compare Nahki Wells and Jermaine Defoe without mentioning their ages. Defoe is almost certainly finished at the top level, whereas Wells is 8 years younger and still has the potential to be OK for us.

Bournemouth took a gamble that Defoe would still be good enough, and he’s not got it anymore.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:44 pm

taio wrote:161 PL goals + 484 PL appearances = slightly better than average? Baffling.

What's just as baffling is using his longevity in the top flight as justification for saying he has only been slightly better than average.
A 1 in 3 strike ratio.

Meh.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:58 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote::lol:

Do you not think hes 'only played in the premier league that long' because hes good? You dont play in the prem for 10 plus years and become one of the leading scorers if you arent.

His record is great. Look at the company he is in. Look at the players he is above Anelka Giggs Scholes Yorke Drogba even Aguero and RVP. All played in the league a long time at top clubs. Look at his goals to game ratio.
Aguero's played about 200 games... significantly less than Defoe and not that far behind in regards to goals, prolific striker and a clear class above Defoe has been at any stage of his career.
Same with Kane.
As for Scholes and Giggs, midfielder and winger.

RVP and Anelka you have a point.
Drogba - 250ish PL appearances 104 goals, which suggests with more time he'd have more goals, but clearly more prolific than Defoe.

Yorke I haven't looked at his record yet, do I need too?
Another average striker though overall.

Has Defoe ever scored more than 20 league goals in a season?
The answer is no, to save you looking.
18 is his best and even Austin has done that, Jay was close until his knee injury.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Sidney1st wrote:A 1 in 3 strike ratio.

Meh.
I don't regard a 1 in 3 strike ratio as "meh" or "slightly better than average". It's good. I see on your next post you're drawing comparisons with some players who are/were outstanding. Again, we aren't saying Defoe is outstanding, rather that Defoe is clearly significantly better than you're making out. Probably best it you withdraw from the thread because the more you post on it the more baffling it gets.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:22 pm

tim_noone wrote:One of the best value for money players bournemouth signed has got to be junior stanislas. Who was never that popular on this Board.de foe was insurance for staying up.im sure they will.
:D

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Aguero's played about 200 games... significantly less than Defoe and not that far behind in regards to goals, prolific striker and a clear class above Defoe has been at any stage of his career.
Same with Kane.
As for Scholes and Giggs, midfielder and winger.

RVP and Anelka you have a point.
Drogba - 250ish PL appearances 104 goals, which suggests with more time he'd have more goals, but clearly more prolific than Defoe.

Yorke I haven't looked at his record yet, do I need too?
Another average striker though overall.

Has Defoe ever scored more than 20 league goals in a season?
The answer is no, to save you looking.
18 is his best and even Austin has done that, Jay was close until his knee injury.
Actually getting quite embarrassing now.

Dwight Yorke was an "average" striker.....really ? Did you ever actually see him play ? You are going to be in for a hell of a disappointing life if you think someone who played as well as Yorke did for United (and Villa) is only average.

Why do you keep on including points that if strikers like Drogba had played for longer they would have scored more goals ? That's as stupid as saying if Ashley Barnes had score more goals than Defoe....he would have scored more goals than Defoe !! The point is that they haven't. You seem to be saying that because he has managed to stay fit and play for longer at a high level that this is a bad thing rather than recognising the blindly obvious thing that he must be pretty decent.

Comparing Austin and Jay Rodriguez to him is just utter toss. Again more ifs and buts....you are picking out that both of them have had the odd decent season in the Premier League and then saying because they scored more than Defoe in one season that makes them better.

The definition of a slightly above average striker (in this league) will probably be someone like Austin or Jay because every statistic you look at for both players shows they are exactly this compared to all the other strikers in the league - which is why they end up with one international cap and playing for teams (and being on the bench regularly) that are fighting against relegation. IMHO Austin and Jay are both good quality strikers but in terms of their careers they have achieved nowhere near the level that Defoe has.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Come on now Sidney.

I like the fact that you always argue your opinion even when met with a tidal wave of resistance.

You're wrong on this one though, Defoe has been good over a length of time.

We can't win them all fella.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm not trying to win anything Bin.

Just pointing things out that are accurate from what I can see.
It's a discussion board after all, nor am I embarrassed despite what someone else has suggested.

Comparisons with other strikers are valid, just some people don't like me disagreeing with what appears to be the general consensus

Mind you, I'm one of the few that wouldn't take Jay Rod back either.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:11 pm

Crucial goal from Defoe today. To keep bournemouth above watford at the death.

With each place worth 2m, popped up when it mattered.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:15 pm

taio wrote:161 PL goals + 484 PL appearances = slightly better than average? Baffling.

Listened to Joey Barton's podcast a few weeks back and he was laughing when people said "oh, you're just a bang average Prem player ......"

It is extremely difficult to be a "bang average" player in the Prem and to do it for so long and consistently perform is even more difficult.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:17 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Crucial goal from Defoe today. To keep bournemouth above watford at the death.

With each place worth 2m, popped up when it mattered.
Eddie took a punt and it paid off....

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:49 am

I like Defoe.