Clarets no longer with us

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
1963Claret
Been Liked: 69 times
Has Liked: 168 times

Clarets no longer with us

Post by 1963Claret » Sat May 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Although I don't get to many away games nowadays, from about 1975 to 1993 I didn't miss too many. Was thinking about lads who went away regularly through thick and mainly thin but who are no longer with us. I remember Brian Wren and Pete Hodson from Littleborough, Steve Mackriel from Wolverhampton, then later there was an old guy from Colne who everyone just called Mr Wood, plus of course guys like Brian Lucas and Selwyn. All great supporters and it's a little sad they're not around to enjoy these successful times.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone turfytopper

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Re: Clarets no longer with us

Post by jdrobbo » Sat May 20, 2017 11:15 pm

I now sit in Brian's old seat and have ever since he left us. I've heard nothing but great things about him.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat May 20, 2017 11:46 pm

1963Claret wrote:Although I don't get to many away games nowadays, from about 1975 to 1993 I didn't miss too many. Was thinking about lads who went away regularly through thick and mainly thin but who are no longer with us. I remember Brian Wren and Pete Hodson from Littleborough, Steve Mackriel from Wolverhampton, then later there was an old guy from Colne who everyone just called Mr Wood, plus of course guys like Brian Lucas and Selwyn. All great supporters and it's a little sad they're not around to enjoy these successful times.

I new Pete had cystic fibrosis also believe that Steve worked as a tradesman but can't remember which one (electrician?) and was a real shock when I heard of the news. Who can forget Selwyn as well.

By the way how's Jock doing these days does anyone know, last saw him in the betting shop across from the Turf nearly 10 years ago I guess.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat May 20, 2017 11:48 pm

jdrobbo wrote:I now sit in Brian's old seat and have ever since he left us. I've heard nothing but great things about him.
Boxcar. Whoo Whoo
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretTony THEWELLERNUT70 Stevie2112

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat May 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Ada Marsh

I think of myself as quite a big Burnley fan but not enough to go around an away boozer and announce it to everyone as though they should bloody well know and like it.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sun May 21, 2017 6:26 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Ada Marsh

I think of myself as quite a big Burnley fan but not enough to go around an away boozer and announce it to everyone as though they should bloody well know and like it.
Ada Marshall was just the person i was thinking about. I went to Thailand on honeymoon in 1995 and was sat in the hotel foyer waiting to go out and in walks Ada. 8k miles and i bump into him.

Remember Northampton, Andy Marriott's last game...
Attachments
FB_IMG_1495344173537.jpg
FB_IMG_1495344173537.jpg (123.1 KiB) Viewed 3358 times
These 3 users liked this post: Bin Ont Turf Holtyclaret Stevie2112

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1051 times

Post by CleggHall » Sun May 21, 2017 9:59 am

There were 2 loves in Brian Wren's life - Burnley FC and Littleborough cricket club, never missed a match for either.

todclaret
Been Liked: 110 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by todclaret » Sun May 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Jock can usually be found in the Park View prematch, along with Selwyn's younger brother, Anthony.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun May 21, 2017 12:36 pm

todclaret wrote:Jock can usually be found in the Park View prematch, along with Selwyn's younger brother, Anthony.
Thanks Tod nice to know he's still about ;)

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 21, 2017 12:41 pm

1963Claret wrote:Although I don't get to many away games nowadays, from about 1975 to 1993 I didn't miss too many. Was thinking about lads who went away regularly through thick and mainly thin but who are no longer with us. I remember Brian Wren and Pete Hodson from Littleborough, Steve Mackriel from Wolverhampton, then later there was an old guy from Colne who everyone just called Mr Wood, plus of course guys like Brian Lucas and Selwyn. All great supporters and it's a little sad they're not around to enjoy these successful times.
Brian Wren - don't know why but CleggHall has it wrong with Brian. A committed Claret who just gave up in the 1980s and for the next 15-20 years or so gave Burnley FC a miss until he passed away.
Pete Hodson - sadly passed away at 49. Pete was never in the best of health.
Steve Mackriel - didn't know Steve but have got to know is wife Ginette very well. I really like Ginette.
Mr Wood - that would have been Herman Wood who went for years and lived to a very good age.
Selwyn - brilliant fan, so sad seeing him in the last few months and quite how he got to Peterborough for what proved to be his last game I don't know.

Brian Lucas (aka Dustbin, Monster, Box Car depending on when you got to know him) - sat next to me in the new stand up to his last game v Wolves in Feb 2006. I went to away games with him from the late 1960s and he was a very, very good friend of mine. Brian passed away at 59 having suffered from vascular dementia. Three of us visited him on a regular basis during his illness and it was dreadful to watch. I still miss the cantankerous old sod though.

He'd have loved the success we are having now while still abusing referees. He'd still be listening to this crap as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSrEcPdA0hE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun May 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:Ada Marshall was just the person i was thinking about. I went to Thailand on honeymoon in 1995 and was sat in the hotel foyer waiting to go out and in walks Ada. 8k miles and i bump into him.

Remember Northampton, Andy Marriott's last game...

He was always going on about Thailand around that time.

It didn't matter if you had a wife or girlfriend, he wanted everyone to go there with him. :)

Ayamonte
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Ayamonte » Sun May 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Lost my brother Tony Nuttall (Nutz) in June 2013 to lung cancer (never smoked in his life) at the age of 53. Still find it hard that he is no longer amongst us. He was a true BFC supporter and along with my eldest daughter we travelled the country watching the Clarets. It was Lincoln away in a cup match and after the usual pre match beverages Tony discovered the pub provided litre cartons of ale which he duly purchased. Tony was sat in the back of the car with the carton of ale resting between his legs and had nodded off. We were belting down a dual carriageway and I had to brake hard as we came up to a roundabout There was a whoosh and a tsunami tidal wave of ale came rushing under the seats into the front footwells lapping over our shoes. Tony was very indignant that his ale reserve was no more and blamed the driver for his erratic driving. No apologies that the car stunk of stale ale for a couple of weeks after. Wonderful memories. We had some great times that I cherish even more knowing that he is no longer here. He would have been ecstatic at what the Clarets have achieved since his passing. God bless bro.
These 4 users liked this post: tim_noone Steve1956 Stevie2112 RMutt

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1051 times

Post by CleggHall » Sun May 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Sorry I stand corrected on Brian Wren CT, I lost contact when I moved to the north east.

Spike
Been Liked: 601 times
Has Liked: 1241 times

Post by Spike » Sun May 21, 2017 10:36 pm

Steve Mackriel was a painter and decorator by trade and an absolute gentleman.
Some of you may know him better as Steve the Veg.
Tony is right that his wife Ginette keeps the Claret flag flying and misses very few games.
Steve's brother , Daniel , who incidentally captained and managed Blackburn Blackhawks today brought his nephew to the Turf for the second time.At six years old he is the fourth generation of Claret Mackriels

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Ayamonte wrote:Lost my brother Tony Nuttall (Nutz) in June 2013 to lung cancer (never smoked in his life) at the age of 53.
For those who haven't realised, this was NUTZ who was a regular poster on the board and a year later we staged a football match against the ex-Clarets in his memory at Padiham that raised over £4,500 for MacMillan.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 Ayamonte

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Ayamonte wrote:Lost my brother Tony Nuttall (Nutz) in June 2013 to lung cancer (never smoked in his life) at the age of 53. Still find it hard that he is no longer amongst us. He was a true BFC supporter and along with my eldest daughter we travelled the country watching the Clarets. It was Lincoln away in a cup match and after the usual pre match beverages Tony discovered the pub provided litre cartons of ale which he duly purchased. Tony was sat in the back of the car with the carton of ale resting between his legs and had nodded off. We were belting down a dual carriageway and I had to brake hard as we came up to a roundabout There was a whoosh and a tsunami tidal wave of ale came rushing under the seats into the front footwells lapping over our shoes. Tony was very indignant that his ale reserve was no more and blamed the driver for his erratic driving. No apologies that the car stunk of stale ale for a couple of weeks after. Wonderful memories. We had some great times that I cherish even more knowing that he is no longer here. He would have been ecstatic at what the Clarets have achieved since his passing. God bless bro.
Tony was a brilliant Goalkeeper remember him playing for African Harry's Ashworth Arms team from Rawtenstall,when he finished playing for the Ashworths I was unfortunate enough to try and replace him in goal an impossible task as African Harry was always reminding me,RIP Tony.
These 2 users liked this post: Stevie2112 Ayamonte

Fretters
Been Liked: 1052 times
Has Liked: 556 times

Post by Fretters » Mon May 22, 2017 8:39 pm

My mum Janice followed us home and away until she passed away aged 55 in 2012. She was well known to a few on here.

Today would have been her 60th birthday so just having a toast to her. She'd have been proud as hell this season.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon May 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Fretters wrote:My mum Janice followed us home and away until she passed away aged 55 in 2012. She was well known to a few on here.

Today would have been her 60th birthday so just having a toast to her. She'd have been proud as hell this season.
No age at all. Great shame! Enjoy the birthday drink.
This user liked this post: Fretters

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Fretters wrote:My mum Janice followed us home and away until she passed away aged 55 in 2012. She was well known to a few on here.

She's missed Fretters, I've no one to have a good argument with now in meetings.
This user liked this post: Fretters