Ok as things stand right now - How will you vote?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: Ok as things stand right now - How will you vote?

Post by RMutt » Mon May 22, 2017 8:41 pm

No it's now. They might look after the general populace in a fashion. But only like a farmer looks after his animals. Just enough to be productive and to keep making money for them. I really cannot understand why any ordinary person would believe that the Tories genuinely have their best interest at heart. I nearly gave up voting. I became disillusioned like many. Expenses scandal, Blair being an almost Tory, no difference between the parties, the Iraq and other wars, etc, etc The fact that ultimately it's not politicians who make the decisions but the corporations and wealth behind the scenes. I nearly stopped, but seeing just how destructive the Tories in power can be, wrecking the health service so it can be privatised. Selling off anything not nailed down to their friends, etc, etc ,I really couldn't not vote.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Mon May 22, 2017 8:43 pm

MACCA wrote:Someone just sent me this.. .
Whoever it was, is a kn0b.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon May 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Tory this time.

May serves a necessary purpose in delivering the Brexit I wanted - in 5 years we can then vote on more domestic issues.

Other reason - putting £160m per week into the NHS. Not £350m, and I didn't see it on a bus, but it'll do :-)

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Mon May 22, 2017 9:00 pm

bartons baggage wrote:Maybe i misunderstood https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brexi ... 66&bih=662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D
Maybe not misunderstood. I see a suggestion, not a manifesto. Maybe you see "let's spend it all on the NHS, and let's start doing that BEFORE we actually leave and are no longer sending the money".

Trouble is, we haven't left yet, so you don't actually know whether you have been hoodwinked. None of us do. I'm just gonna sit it out for a while, and see.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Mon May 22, 2017 9:06 pm

For the 1st time ever I will be voting labour.

Their manifesto is better, more coherent and more clearly costed. That's before Mays U turns, deciding things on walks without her cabinet, but to be fair, when that's boris it's probably a wise move. There's nothing in the Tory manifesto for me.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Mon May 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Conservative all the way.
Labour used to be the working mans party.
Labour is now the party for the dole dossing benefit generation.
Corbyn cant run his own party never mind the country.
This user liked this post: Claretrew

Claretrew
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by Claretrew » Mon May 22, 2017 9:14 pm

I will be voting conservative, I have always had a problem with the unions running the Labour Party. I don't think JC can unite his own party he has spent 30 years voting against it. I do not believe he would ever get the tax money he hopes for out of the top 5% (they are not in the top 5% because they don't know how to avoid tax). Which leaves a huge black hole. I do think he would spend the money but would just be digging a deeper hole. If you increase corporation tax, increase minimum wage I imagine that hits profits and thus investments. Reducing jobs/tax revenue.
I am not impressed with May but as a party I think the conservatives have more muscle in getting a better brexit deal and hence a more substantialable long term plan.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon May 22, 2017 9:16 pm

I don't have enough money to vote for anyone other than Labour.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Mon May 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Changed my mind again, now Labour. I hope these guys voting Tories are earning over 80k per year or they'll be £££s worse off per year.

I'm all about infrastruture though, and it is currently being demolished under tories.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon May 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Bit gutted there isn't a strong independent standing in Burnley. UKIP no point Labour like the renationalisation worry about the economy and defence Tories I like the financial stability and economic plan but worry about social care. Lib dems liked how they reigned in Cameron and got investment to the region's Greens dreamers.
I think Mick Jagged once said my heart is Labour my conscience liberal but my money is strictly Tory. I think my money gets the vote this time.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Mon May 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Labour, the Tories don't represent me at all.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2876 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon May 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:For the first, and hopefully the last time, I will vote Tory. It hurts to even write it, BUT there isn't an alternative. Jeremy, even if he could win, would knock this country back 30 years.
It would solve the immigration problem though, they'd all be heading for the port once the place falls apart.
Back to a time the NHS was the envy of the world?
A time before the ROYAL Mail was sold to be run purely for shareholders not the people who rely on them?
A time when we dealt more with our Commonwealth rather than begging Europe to buy some?
A time before people could be treated like cattle with Zero Hour contracts, because they are desperate?
A time when you only heard of food banks in Africa?

That seals it I think despite myself on Brexit negotiations and despite trusting Abbott as much as I'd trust Ian Sutcliffe with my tarts telephone number..... I think I'm voting Labour.
These 2 users liked this post: wickdkewlclaret Rick_Muller

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon May 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Is that Mick Jagged of the Polling Stones!?

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Mon May 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Tory for me.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon May 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Never forget that Tories Rob the old, deprive the young, feed the rich and kill foxes for sport.

Don't be stupid again....

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Labour.

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Mon May 22, 2017 11:06 pm

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016 ... -70-years/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue May 23, 2017 12:46 am

Labour

COYC73
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by COYC73 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:47 am

Jeremy Corbyn and his team are incompetent idiots who want to borrow over a quarter of a trillion pounds to fund their giveaways....If we all ran our house like these want to run the country, we'd have our houses repossessed and be all made bankrupt...!

Not to mention he's a complete National Security Threat and Shouldn't be let ANYWHERE near the Brexit negotiations....!!!!

No choice but to vote Tory this time!

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue May 23, 2017 1:51 am

COYC73 wrote:
Not to mention he's a complete National Security Threat...

:roll:

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue May 23, 2017 2:24 am

Labour - even though I live in a Tory stronghold

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Tue May 23, 2017 4:59 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:I don't have enough money to vote for anyone other than Labour.

I'm not poor, I'm not rich; I can't afford to vote Labour.

The Tories always come to power when Labour have run out of every one else's money.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue May 23, 2017 6:00 am

Tory for the first time, won't make a difference in Burnley though.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue May 23, 2017 6:13 am

"Dear Chief Secretary, I’m afraid there is no money. Kind regards – and good luck! Liam Byrne"

The Tories inherited a £153 billion deficit from Labour and have now got it back under control. I'm not in favour of giving them the credit card back, to go on another wild spending spree, any time soon.

Unfortunately in Burnley a Tory vote is wasted so I'm pretty much knacked as a vote for the Lib Dems could just as much see Corbyn in charge. That said, I prefer Birtwistle to Cooper so it'll no doubt be a choice for the lesser of two evils.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue May 23, 2017 7:13 am

What there is a complete lack of are any posts outlining the leadership qualities, steadfastness and vision of Theresa May. The vast majority of posts are criticisms of Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party with a vote for Theresa May being the only viable alternative left. That just about sums up the mood of the country - Theresa May is the best of a very poor lot.

The thought of Theresa May and the Brexit negotiations is a frightening prospect. I suppose she could always distract the EU negotiating team whilst Boris Johnson sneaks a look at through their notes. :lol:

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue May 23, 2017 7:29 am

elwaclaret wrote:Back to a time the NHS was the envy of the world?
A time before the ROYAL Mail was sold to be run purely for shareholders not the people who rely on them?
A time when we dealt more with our Commonwealth rather than begging Europe to buy some?
A time before people could be treated like cattle with Zero Hour contracts, because they are desperate?
A time when you only heard of food banks in Africa?

That seals it I think despite myself on Brexit negotiations and despite trusting Abbott as much as I'd trust Ian Sutcliffe with my tarts telephone number..... I think I'm voting Labour.
More like back to a three day week, power cuts, strikes and mass unemployment.

The problem with 'old' Labour, is they've never grasped the idea that in order to share wealth you first need to create it. They are anti banks, anti entrepreneurs, anti big business. No matter how much you might dislike them, you have to be able to deal with these areas. There is a common ground, a lot of give and take. People should pay their fair share in taxes, but if you bleed them dry the whole country will go to pot.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Tue May 23, 2017 7:29 am

Labour. Although it's the very definition of a pointless exercise in this constituency, which is the largest geographically in the country and includes such as Ripon and surrounding areas.
Lib Dems have even given it up as a bad job this time and handed the batton to the Greens. Oh yes, we also have a "Yorkshire Party" candidate who, I believe, is 19 years old.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Tue May 23, 2017 7:39 am

RMutt wrote:No it's now. They might look after the general populace in a fashion. But only like a farmer looks after his animals. Just enough to be productive and to keep making money for them. I really cannot understand why any ordinary person would believe that the Tories genuinely have their best interest at heart. I nearly gave up voting. I became disillusioned like many. Expenses scandal, Blair being an almost Tory, no difference between the parties, the Iraq and other wars, etc, etc The fact that ultimately it's not politicians who make the decisions but the corporations and wealth behind the scenes. I nearly stopped, but seeing just how destructive the Tories in power can be, wrecking the health service so it can be privatised. Selling off anything not nailed down to their friends, etc, etc ,I really couldn't not vote.
Why do people always make out its the Tories who want to privatise the NHS when it was during Blairs reign that they started sending out work to private hospitals?

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 am

Because Sidney, a lot of the current Tory cabinet has links to Private Healthcare, and T May has not ruled out allowing private US healthcare to run parts of our health service.

Tony's labour and this labour are very different beasts.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Tue May 23, 2017 7:57 am

It's still a fact though that Tony Blairs' administration privatised more of the NHS than following coalition and then the subsequent Tory government combined! however the NHS is safe in their hands!

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 am

I'm sure they are different beasts, but it always seemed to be glossed over that a Labour government started it.

If partial privatisation improves the NHS then what's the issue?
In many ways it wouldn't be any different to seeing a doctor at an NHS hospital for your initial appointments and having the operation done at a private hospital by the same Doctor who also happens to work in the private hospital...

Zesty
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Zesty » Tue May 23, 2017 8:19 am

UKIP or labour, think it's going to be Labour now though whilst I don't think JC is great the manifesto is the best. I think a vote for UKIP would be a waste now. Going to be between Labour and Con so there's only one choice for me.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 am

Corbyn is simply buying votes. Promising everything under the sun....where is the responsibility and reality? No real accounting just a few made up figures on the back of a cigarette packet. We don't even know what Brexit is going to cost. How can he promise to do away with student fees and pump billions into the NHS (a wonderful organisation but a bottomless pit)?

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 am

Haven't voted Labour in a general election since 2005, but back to the fold this time.

You could throw a blanket over the three main parties at the last couple of elections, but they've finally got their act together with decent policies that are different from the shite peddled by the Tories.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue May 23, 2017 8:29 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:Corbyn is simply buying votes. Promising everything under the sun....where is the responsibility and reality? No real accounting just a few made up figures on the back of a cigarette packet. We don't even know what Brexit is going to cost. How can he promise to do away with student fees and pump billions into the NHS (a wonderful organisation but a bottomless pit)?

Even when faced with a independently checked fully costed manifesto people like you will just made stuff up such is your irrational hatred of Labour.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue May 23, 2017 8:33 am

Falcon wrote:.....such is your irrational hatred of Labour.
Rubbish. I hate a Labour party run by a Communist who is making promises that he won't be able to deliver. For instance, the tax figure that he says he is going to collect from the top 5%....he will only collect a fraction of it, so will have to find the money elsewhere....you and me!

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue May 23, 2017 8:40 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:Rubbish. I hate a Labour party run by a Communist who is making promises that he won't be able to deliver. For instance, the tax figure that he says he is going to collect from the top 5%....he will only collect a fraction of it, so will have to find the money elsewhere....you and me!

Ah the classic 'your leader is a Communist' riposte, I was wondering which of the go-to Daily Mail put downs you'd lump for.
This user liked this post: thomaspaine

ThinLizzy
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 221 times

Post by ThinLizzy » Tue May 23, 2017 8:41 am

Falcon wrote:Even when faced with a independently checked fully costed manifesto people like you will just made stuff up such is your irrational hatred of Labour.
Quick! Looksy! The Labour voters have woken up! :lol:

This user liked this post: Newty

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue May 23, 2017 8:45 am

ThinLizzy wrote:Quick! Looksy! The Labour voters have woken up! :lol:

Nice meme

And yet it's the left who get called out for calling anyone who disagrees with them stupid...

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue May 23, 2017 8:47 am

Meanwhile, Theresa May will be delivering on her party pledge to cut immigration "to the tens of thousands". :roll:

This manifesto pledge was thoroughly exposed by Andrew Neil as bogus and simply there because it was a core reason for people voting to leave the EU and Theresa May needs the UKIP vote.

As Andrew Neil told her "During your time as the government minister responsible you couldn't even reduce the numbers of non EU immigration which actually went up."

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue May 23, 2017 9:47 am

You can only raise x amount of money by taxing the top 5% extra, as long as they are making money. When they are squeezed dry where will the money come from to sustain these promises. Sadly it won't come at all. A couple of years of patting himself on the back, followed by a decade of recession.
Simplistic promises made by simple people. I've always been a socialist, but Jeremy Corbyn would be a disaster on so many levels.
Thankfully he ain't getting in.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:More like back to a three day week, power cuts, strikes and mass unemployment.

The problem with 'old' Labour, is they've never grasped the idea that in order to share wealth you first need to create it. They are anti banks, anti entrepreneurs, anti big business. No matter how much you might dislike them, you have to be able to deal with these areas. There is a common ground, a lot of give and take. People should pay their fair share in taxes, but if you bleed them dry the whole country will go to pot.
And the problem with the current government is that they've presided over a period where the rich have got richer while the rest of us are worse off. No evidence what so ever of this 'sharing' and no inclination by the Tories to do anything about it!

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue May 23, 2017 10:00 am

Falcon wrote:Even when faced with a independently checked fully costed manifesto people like you will just made stuff up such is your irrational hatred of Labour.
Who checked it? And even allowing for fudges and guesswork, its fully costed for only the first year; after that, the spending continues while the sources of income are fewer.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue May 23, 2017 10:40 am

Yes under Corbyn the rich will have to pay more in tax, but that money will be re-invested in the economy. The money isn't going to just disappear. Money spent on overdue wage increases (I say 'overdue' because the rich haven't seen their wages increase by only 1% a year) will get spent in the economy boosting growth. Rich people aren't going to be squeezed, but will see the benefits too in greater consumer confidence. If you want a successful market economy, you need to spread the wealth around so everyone can participate. The new opportunities this creates will encourage the rich to invest further in the economy (current lack of demand sees them sitting on their money instead). This is how prosperity was generated in the 60s.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue May 23, 2017 10:43 am

AndrewJB wrote:Yes under Corbyn the rich will have to pay more in tax, but that money will be re-invested in the economy. The money isn't going to just disappear. Money spent on overdue wage increases (I say 'overdue' because the rich haven't seen their wages increase by only 1% a year) will get spent in the economy boosting growth. Rich people aren't going to be squeezed, but will see the benefits too in greater consumer confidence. If you want a successful market economy, you need to spread the wealth around so everyone can participate. The new opportunities this creates will encourage the rich to invest further in the economy (current lack of demand sees them sitting on their money instead). This is how prosperity was generated in the 60s.
The 60's was pretty much a 50/50 split wasn't it?
Tories first half, Labour the 2nd half.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1558 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Tue May 23, 2017 10:44 am

Conservatives for me as there is no credible alternative.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue May 23, 2017 11:03 am

Sidney1st wrote:The 60's was pretty much a 50/50 split wasn't it?
Tories first half, Labour the 2nd half.
More or less, but just as Blair's Labour continued with many of Thatcher's policies, the Tories of the 1960's were far to the left of where Corbyn is now. 90% top rate of income tax anyone? :)

This is why I think calling Corbyn 'far left' doesn't further debate. That aside, we all feel the pain when workers go on strike and withhold their Labour. What we've seen recently is Capitalists going on strike and withholding their investment. A lot of companies are sitting on cash mountains, and the investment climate is such that it's safer for them just to keep it in the bank. In taxing some of that and investing it, Labour want to kick start the economy.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Tue May 23, 2017 12:11 pm

I work in the NHS so I have no choice

I will be voting Labour

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Did you vote Labour when they were sending work out to private hospitals too?

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Tue May 23, 2017 12:21 pm

Blimey - to have a, pretty much, 50/50 split on a Burnley message board tells us how this is going to turn out.