Breaking News Manchester Evening News Arena Explosions

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Re: Breaking News Manchester Evening News Arena Explosions

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue May 23, 2017 8:06 am

claretandy wrote:Now is the time for strong and stable leadership, not a terrorist sympathizer.
Thank you for stepping out into the light and revealing yourself for what you actually are, ClaretAndy.
These 5 users liked this post: Falcon CombatClaret Imploding Turtle spanishclaret Claret-On-A-T-Rex

morpheus2
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 1850 times

Post by morpheus2 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:07 am

I've dropped my daughter off at numerous gigs there recently, I'm lucky that she's taking her GCSEs very seriously and has put her social life on hold to revise for a few weeks, she says she has friends from school who were there last night, I hope they are all safe :(

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Tue May 23, 2017 8:12 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:This is wierd. If this was terrorism we've usually got preliminary casualty reports by now. But then if it was something like a ballon popping next to a microphone which caused a panicked stampede then we'd have expected some numbers by now too.

fyi: The picture being bandied around on Twitter of what looks like blast damage through 3 swing doors isn't a picture from tonight. That's just some people being dicks.
Remember the other week when you were laughing at me for being concerned about terrorism when I travel to Manchester/London at busy times?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 23, 2017 8:12 am

Claretandy is a dick

Who knew eh? Who knew?

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3595 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue May 23, 2017 8:13 am

Sickening news.

Will it ever stop? This is the lowest of tge low, specifically targetting teen/tweenage girls? ******* disgusting.

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by IndigoLake » Tue May 23, 2017 8:16 am

Goodclaret wrote:Absolutely horrendous news to wake up to this morning. It really does make you question what this world is all about.

It does make you think if you should change your plans too. I'm due to watch The Courteeners at Old Trafford on Saturday with my wife and two lads. My wife is thinking we shouldn't go now but, as Vintage Claret says, do we let them "win"?

Thoughts with all involved :(
You'd imagine there will now be increased security measures at venues following this attack. I think it's important that everybody continues to live their lives as normal. As you say, cancelling your plans is, in a way, letting them win. The best thing that we can do is to show solidarity and not let their actions stop us from doing what we want to do.
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Tue May 23, 2017 8:16 am

I wish the media would stop referring to these ' people ' as lone wolves. Cowardly Neanderthal .

I'm going to the metro centre next week and nothing will stop me from going about my business.
Last edited by karatekid on Tue May 23, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Claretforshaw
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Claretforshaw » Tue May 23, 2017 8:17 am

My four daughters are/were supposed to be at the Arena for a Take That concert this Friday. I cannot imagine what must have been going through the minds of Parents waiting to pick their kids up last night......must be every Parents worst nightmare.

lakesclaret
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by lakesclaret » Tue May 23, 2017 8:19 am

Awful events

Sad to see "MRG" still bullsh1tting heavily .If you seriously have a close fam member in GMP there's just no way,no way in holy hell they would have gone out on a limb and told some uber attention seeking clown such direct 100% "factual" info when there's no way in a million yrs this would be known.

They would know EXACTLY how an incident like this has to presumed and treated until ALL other options are ruled out .

You should be publically beaten for using kids lives as pathetic "I'm in the know" kudos ,disgusting .
These 2 users liked this post: Zesty joey13

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 am

Claretforshaw wrote:My four daughters are/were supposed to be at the Arena for a Take That concert this Friday. I cannot imagine what must have been going through the minds of Parents waiting to pick their kids up last night......must be every Parents worst nightmare.
Likewise Mrs W has tickets for Saturday and is now unsure what to do.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Tue May 23, 2017 8:27 am

Take That concerts expected to be cancelled
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... -cancelled

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 am

wilks_bfc wrote:Likewise Mrs W has tickets for Saturday and is now unsure what to do.
Go about your normal lives.
These 2 users liked this post: minnieclaret Imploding Turtle

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 am

IndigoLake wrote:You'd imagine there will now be increased security measures at venues following this attack. I think it's important that everybody continues to live their lives as normal. As you say, cancelling your plans is, in a way, letting them win. The best thing that we can do is to show solidarity and not let their actions stop us from doing what we want to do.
Problem with this is where do you stop? There are bag checks at entrance points to arena shows, when people leave they head for the metrolink, bus or train stations, big crowds of people, no security. The situation is horrifying and I am seething that it's happened yet again but more seething that they've targeted children at a gig. Cowardice beyond belief.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Tue May 23, 2017 8:30 am

What a pathetic post that is Lakesclaret. Using an event like this for point scoring is a very low moment for this board. I was told not terrorist related and shared it to put people's minds at rest. The info was incorrect which I acknowledged.

My comments were based on what I believed were facts, yourvpost is all based on your warped perception that other people's lives are as sad as yours and need the 'kudos' of being seen to be in the know on a bloody football forum. Get a life man, kids have died here, I don't give a toss how I look, I'm too busy moaning those kids potentially in my daughters class who won't be at school today.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 am

CombatClaret wrote:Go about your normal lives.

That's exactly what I've said to her.
If you stop doing what you would be doing you're letting the ******* win

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Tue May 23, 2017 8:35 am

wilks_bfc wrote:Likewise Mrs W has tickets for Saturday and is now unsure what to do.
I imagine the arena would be closed for potentially up to a week depending on damage..

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 am

Dom wrote:Problem with this is where do you stop? There are bag checks at entrance points to arena shows, when people leave they head for the metrolink, bus or train stations, big crowds of people, no security. The situation is horrifying and I am seething that it's happened yet again but more seething that they've targeted children at a gig. Cowardice beyond belief.
It's so difficult to prevent because if someone is determined enough, they'll find a way. Just look at the Nice truck attack for example. Unfortunately, terrorists want to spread fear, panic and pain. What's worse is that they're willing to stoop to any level to do so, hiding their cowardly actions behind their self-righteousness.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 am

But MRG it was the (theoretical)tap of the nose and the phrase "be patient young turtle" that I'm guessing have got peoples backs up (post number 45,which now appears to have been appropriately deleted)

A totally inappropriate post at the time when eye witnesses were reporting a completely different picture .
Last edited by THEWELLERNUT70 on Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 am

wilks_bfc wrote:That's exactly what I've said to her.
If you stop doing what you would be doing you're letting the ******* win
No, you let them win by keep allowing them to murder us.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Falcon » Tue May 23, 2017 8:39 am

Awful news. Whilst I'm sure it may come out differently, I'd be amazed if it wasn't a terrorist attack.

Problem is, how do you stop them? It's usually some nutter in his bedroom influenced by what they're accessing via the web - how do you combat that?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue May 23, 2017 8:39 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:No, you let them win by keep allowing them to murder us.
Were you old enough to remember the bombings in the 70's & 80's?

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Tue May 23, 2017 8:40 am

Falcon wrote:Awful news. Whilst I'm sure it may come out differently, I'd be amazed if it wasn't a terrorist attack.

Problem is, how do you stop them? It's usually some nutter in his bedroom influenced by what they're accessing via the web - how do you combat that?
Control the content on the web, but we all know the government won't do it properly.

lakesclaret
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by lakesclaret » Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 am

MRG

You've got some neck mate,you really have.You posted outright lies and bullsh1t,then back peddle into some lip quivering wreck ,having the gall to mention kids lives,when you happily publically posted that no such thing had happened .You really do beggar belief ,utterly shameful cowardice without even the respect to apologise.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Falcon » Tue May 23, 2017 8:43 am

Sidney1st wrote:Control the content on the web, but we all know the government won't do it properly.

I'm no internet expert, but I'm sure that if someone with the technological know-how wants to access a website they can do, no matter what measures the Govt put in place. If the government limit the content it's the normal not-tech-savvy people like me and maybe you who suffer, not the people who know how to get around it.

MRG

Post by MRG » Tue May 23, 2017 8:45 am

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:But MRG it was the (theoretical)tap of the nose and the phrase "be patient young turtle" that I'm guessing have got peoples backs up (post number 45)

A totally inappropriate post at the time when eye witnesses were reporting a completely different picture .
Take it as an indication of how certain my 'source' was. I was pleased that it was looking like an horrific accident however it now turns out to be a sick terrorist attack. I acknowledge this straight away.

I can assure you that if I was going to hedge my bets on an alternative in order to look like I was in the know, It wouldn't of involved balloons! Even news outlets initially ran with not terror related so I can only assume this was being communicated from somewhere.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue May 23, 2017 8:47 am

Claretforshaw wrote:I cannot imagine what must have been going through the minds of Parents waiting to pick their kids up last night......must be every Parents worst nightmare.
Absolutely. Not knowing whether your child was going to be one of those walking out, must be too difficult to put into words.

MRG

Post by MRG » Tue May 23, 2017 8:49 am

Here is one such report. Maybe they made the exact some lie up to also look like they were in the know..... or maybe it was the initial thoughts within all the pandemonium

https://twitter.com/pa_ward1/status/866789444250210305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Tue May 23, 2017 8:50 am

Falcon wrote:I'm no internet expert, but I'm sure that if someone with the technological know-how wants to access a website they can do, no matter what measures the Govt put in place. If the government limit the content it's the normal not-tech-savvy people like me and maybe you who suffer, not the people who know how to get around it.
Spot on, more importantly a free and open internet does a huge amount for the spread of democracy and western liberal values.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Tue May 23, 2017 8:51 am

5 members of my family were there last night.

I'm ashamed to say that I've been somewhat apathetic towards the other attacks (out of sight, out of mind)

Your outlook changes when it happens on your doorstep.

At times like this the country needs to pull together, regardless of political persuasion. We're all humans together on this piece of land after all is said and done.
Last edited by ClaretEngineer on Tue May 23, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 11 users liked this post: IndigoLake longsidepies Lord Beamish Rick_Muller Lancasterclaret Goodclaret Sidney1st gandhisflipflop spanishclaret cloughyclaret Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue May 23, 2017 8:51 am

Just been two parents interviewed on radio 5 one who took her ten year old son to his first concert.

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:No, you let them win by keep allowing them to murder us.
They are not trying to wipe us out with these attacks, they are trying to make us radicalise ourselves.
These 2 users liked this post: Imploding Turtle Greenmile

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

MRG wrote:What a pathetic post that is Lakesclaret. Using an event like this for point scoring is a very low moment for this board. I was told not terrorist related and shared it to put people's minds at rest. The info was incorrect which I acknowledged.

My comments were based on what I believed were facts, yourvpost is all based on your warped perception that other people's lives are as sad as yours and need the 'kudos' of being seen to be in the know on a bloody football forum. Get a life man, kids have died here, I don't give a toss how I look, I'm too busy moaning those kids potentially in my daughters class who won't be at school today.
Its you who needs to have a look at yourself !

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

Regarding the Internet, unfortunately much of this information can be found on the dark web. If you picture the Internet as an iceberg then we only see the top of it on our computers at home with search engines like Google. The dark web is the mass beneath the surface. I've never used the dark web but there are ways and means to access it. Some terrorists use it to hide, I believe.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue May 23, 2017 8:54 am

MRG,

It's fine to post initial findings, as these things were unfolding, but it was your absolute confidence in the fact that made you look a little silly mate.

Best thing to do is just keep your head down and let it all blow over.

MRG

Post by MRG » Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 am

No I won't keep my head down at all and accept the arrogance that this board offers on a daily basis. The information I was given was from a bobby who had received information stating not terrorist related. That's a fact regardless of what anybody else wants to speculate. This info (from a briefing) clearly got out through other people as news agencies started to also report this (see above).

Things then developed and it turns out that it is terrorist related. I acknowledged that my info now turns out to be incorrect but at the time it wasn't.

It wasn't shared as an 'in the know' c0ck extension post it was to alieviate people's fears.

The people telling me I'm bullsh1tting have no idea if my info is credible instead choosing to attempt to victimise other posters as if often the case on here. What's sad is these kind of people are weaker than bullies as at least a bully will do this face to face. I doubt that the likes of lakesclaret would be as confident in his accusations in a face to face conversation which is sad.

As I keep saying, this isn't about me or anybody else on here it's about the kids, their families and friends

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue May 23, 2017 9:03 am

You're absolutely right mate, it's not about anyone else.

But, to be fair mate, you should have said who said the stuff you posted, as it was, you just said it as fact. That's never good.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Tue May 23, 2017 9:06 am

Regardless of whether that information had filtered out, your 'friend' should not have been disseminating such information at that point. That is a dereliction of duty and as such could be held accountable.
This user liked this post: WestMidsClaret

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Tue May 23, 2017 9:07 am

IndigoLake wrote:Regarding the Internet, unfortunately much of this information can be found on the dark web. If you picture the Internet as an iceberg then we only see the top of it on our computers at home with search engines like Google. The dark web is the mass beneath the surface. I've never used the dark web but there are ways and means to access it. Some terrorists use it to hide, I believe.
The iceberg analogy is a little false, dark web pages are 'beneath the surface' as in you can't see them with a regular browser.
However compared to the open internet there's very few pages to view (so not like an iceberg which has more underneath than on top).

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/tor-dar ... tudy-size/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably about 500,000 dark web pages, and only a fraction of those will be used by 'bad people'.

Sometimes pages of normal website code pages are lumped into the 'darknet' as you don't see them which would make it larger than normal, open plain text sites.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 23, 2017 9:12 am

I'm not going to read through all of this thread because all I've seen is bickering between different posters which I find quite shocking given the circumstances.

Awful news to get up to this morning - can only think of those affected by what happened.
These 5 users liked this post: WestMidsClaret FactualFrank Bertiebeehead cloughyclaret Bop

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Tue May 23, 2017 9:13 am

Well that bobby needs to seriously look at themselves giving out such information to anyone and surely it's against regulations!

Back to the more important discussion this is truly barbaric and cowardly i mean its children ffs! Revenge for the three girls docu-film!? It shouldn't happen to anyone ever but aiming it at kids is pure evil!

PS Aaron glad everyone is ok mate.
Last edited by WestMidsClaret on Tue May 23, 2017 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue May 23, 2017 9:13 am

CombatClaret wrote:The iceberg analogy is a little false, dark web pages are 'beneath the surface' as in you can't see them with a regular browser.
However compared to the open internet there's very few pages to view (so not like an iceberg which has more underneath than on top).

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/tor-dar ... tudy-size/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably about 500,000 dark web pages, and only a fraction of those will be used by 'bad people'.

Sometimes pages of normal website code pages are lumped into the 'darknet' as you don't see them which would make it larger than normal, open plain text sites.
Thanks for the info. I watched a documentary about it quite some time ago so perhaps my memory has faded. The number you've quoted seems to ring a bell.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:14 am

Things then developed and it turns out that it is terrorist related. I acknowledged that my info now turns out to be incorrect but at the time it wasn't.

Your information was always incorrect, it was always a terrorist attack , the least you can do is delete the offending posts !

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Tue May 23, 2017 9:17 am

WestMidsClaret wrote:Well that bobby needs to seriously look at themselves giving out such information to anyone and surely it's against regulations!
No way of proving MRG had a source, Police or not, what that hypothetical Policeman (and MRG) had the potential to put people in danger by giving unverified information which could caused people to head directly into an ongoing terrorist attack because they were told with absolute certainty it was not one.
Last edited by CombatClaret on Tue May 23, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: WestMidsClaret

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue May 23, 2017 9:18 am

Saddened and disgusted in equal measure this morning.

Two things need to happen now:

1. We carry on as normal. If I have another 50 years if lucky on this planet I'm sure as heck not going to spend it cowering in my house.

2. This incident needs condemnation from all corners of our country, turning a blind eye or downplaying it are completely unacceptable. Too often some communities are rarely heard giving statements or being seen to root out conspirators. That just helps the terrorists in their targeted aim of division and fear. That should be the approach whatever cause the perpetrator was following, even if it turns out not to be Islam related. Ironic that it comes hours after Donald Trump (for once) made a superb speech in Saudi talking about just that.

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Tue May 23, 2017 9:20 am

Suicide bomber targeting kids, teens, young adults. I can't get my head around it. I am raging. Total waste of life and the families won't ever get justice.

22 dead and likely to rise, 59 injured. Heart goes out to the families.
These 2 users liked this post: WestMidsClaret THEWELLERNUT70

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 am

CombatClaret wrote:No way of proving MRG had a source, Police or not, what that hypothetical Policeman (and MRG) had the potential to put people in danger by giving unverified information which could caused people to head directly into an ongoing terrorist attack because they were told with absolute certainty it was not one.
True. Either way it's a stupid thing to do. And whichever way you look at it it's VERY sad and as you say potentially dangerous to put it on a forum.

Anyway RIP to those poor people.
Last edited by WestMidsClaret on Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 am

My thoughts are with everyone in Manchester today coming to terms with this atrocity, so sad, so sickening words don't convey true feelings at times like this.

My thoughts this morning also drifted off into thinking about every serviceman overseas who daily face up to these nut jobs, our own who are wounded and killed by IED's, snipers and suicide bombers. Be safe who ever you are and where ever you are in this f k d up world we live in.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue May 23, 2017 9:29 am

difficult to describe the feeling here this morning. its busy but subdued, everyone was still walking to work.

thoughts are obviously with all those affected and who lost their lives.

sickened that this has happened in our city but also so proud of the hundreds of people who immediately reached out last night to help those in need. if those responsible wish to divide us with hate, they've picked the wrong city.
These 11 users liked this post: claretdom WestMidsClaret Lancasterclaret MRG IndigoLake Rick_Muller THEWELLERNUT70 longsidepies Sidney1st Vintage Claret Falcon

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue May 23, 2017 9:41 am

I'm watching BBC World News and just heard a conversation with a woman who is waiting to hear from her daughter who was at the concert with a friend. Her daughter's phone is dead and the Mum doesn't want to leave her house in case her daughter comes home soon. Heartbreaking. I hope she's found to be alive and well.
Last edited by IndigoLake on Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

boiledclaret
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 1022 times

Post by boiledclaret » Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 am

Truly awful news as these things always are. :(
ClaretAndJew wrote:MRG,

It's fine to post initial findings, as these things were unfolding, but it was your absolute confidence in the fact that made you look a little silly mate.

Best thing to do is just keep your head down and let it all blow over.
Whether MRG deserved that amongst all the anger is for others to decide.

I'd say it showcases C+J to be an absolute gentleman.