OT - any recommendations for golf gps watch?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

OT - any recommendations for golf gps watch?

Post by Duffer_ » Wed May 24, 2017 8:17 pm

I know it's very specific but does anybody use one that they would recommend? I lost my trusty Garmin G5 Approach on a course last night so would prefer it to be on my person this time. I'd like yardage (back, middle, front), ability to keep score, and a decent battery life. Not bothered about synching messages with a smartphone.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. thanks to all for a quality season on the messageboard. We should have our own end of season Awards Night now we're part of the PL establishment. This board is deeply frustrating but strangely compelling.

UTC!

barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Re: OT - any recommendations for golf gps watch?

Post by barba » Wed May 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Although not golf specific the Garmin vivoactive HR does all what you want and has a decent battery life.

You can download three courses on to the watch at any one time and the database has all I've searched for both home and abroad.

I also use mine for running and cycling if that's your bag.

More here https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/538374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not the cheapest though I got 40% off through my life insurance

Steve Bloomer
Been Liked: 21 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Steve Bloomer » Wed May 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Garmin

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Wed May 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. The Tom Tom number seems to tick the boxes but I've got one of their running gps watches and I can't get on with the software. Would prefer it to be a dedicated golf gps.

UTC!

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Thu May 25, 2017 7:19 am

These have moved on a bit since I got my garmin S1, which is perfectly adequate and the updated versions pretty cheap. If I was looking to upgrade I'd consider the golf buddy WTX which has full handheld functionality in a fiddlier package
This user liked this post: Duffer_

longsidepies
Been Liked: 105 times
Has Liked: 8650 times

Post by longsidepies » Thu May 25, 2017 7:26 am

I use the Garmin approach S2. Does everything i need and doesn't overcomplicate things. Not overly expensive either.
This user liked this post: Duffer_

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Thu May 25, 2017 9:58 pm

Thanks folks - appreciate your advice. Just ordered a Garmin S2. Does all I want at a price I like.

UTC!

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Funnily enough, I'm just looking myself at the moment. I have a Garmin S1, but having lost the charger (just ordered one today), I noticed the strap is beginning to split under the face. I was in american golf in Horwich a couple of weeks ago and saw the Garmin S20 and the TomTom Watch 2, or whatever it's called. The TomTom looks bulkier, and the online reviews suggest it's tougher to set up and makes a noise when it thinks you've taken a stroke, which you can't shut off.

The Garmin S20 seems to give you 10 hours battery, Front Middle and Back, text alerts from your phone (I think), and hazard details plus lay up yardage. Think I'll be buying it this weekend. Good looking thing, although it's not colour which doesn't bother me.

I hate going American Golf; I go in for one thing and come up £200 lighter with other stuff. :lol: