Dycheball or tika taka

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Dycheball or tika taka

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 24, 2017 9:16 pm

For all the nice football Ajax have played in this game. Theyve been as effective as we were against them. Same scoreline. Same amount of genuine chances.

Shows how it doesnt matter how stylish you try and play if you arent of the required standard.

While I hope we evolve our style next season, Ajax have shown that style alone doesnt win you games against better sides.

Ziyech has looked reasonable. But he wouldnt have been enough on his own.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Re: Dycheball or tika taka

Post by Right_winger » Wed May 24, 2017 9:21 pm

Neither, rather fast attacking 1 touch football.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Neither, faster tempo. Like the stuff under Coyle, it wasn't tiki taka but it wasn't the "tw*t it forward" rubbish we see now. I think you can make examples of all different styles of football not working sometimes but working other times. To say their style just doesn't work based off one game is a little stupid or to think one style will always work is naive at best.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 24, 2017 9:30 pm

Point is all this knocking around has been awful to watch.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed May 24, 2017 9:34 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Point is all this knocking around has been awful to watch.
Its woeful to watch when it doesn't work but great to watch when it does. Dyches style is awful to watch regardless of the result Imo.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 24, 2017 9:35 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Point is all this knocking around has been awful to watch.
Ajax played kids football remind me of...

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed May 24, 2017 9:35 pm

That's because you are weird.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by IndigoLake » Wed May 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Tiki taka first half. Dyche ball second half.
This user liked this post: HiroshimaClaret

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 24, 2017 9:42 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:That's because you are weird.
Wierd ...

Fretters
Been Liked: 1051 times
Has Liked: 553 times

Post by Fretters » Wed May 24, 2017 9:47 pm

tim_noone wrote:Wierd ...
Weird.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Spelling lessons from Wolfie

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed May 24, 2017 10:01 pm

would settle for like we did against Palace away

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed May 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Possession seems to be out of fashion for the moment - it will come back some day, without having to resort to tiki-taka

I'd still rather see us take the game more to our opponents. There's still a long way to go until we reach that stage, but here's hoping we are at least aiming to get there.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Wed May 24, 2017 11:19 pm

KRBFC wrote: I think you can make examples of all different styles of football not working sometimes but working other times.
for all your slagging off of SD and your references to hoofball this is precisely what he advocates. A review of our seasons goals would show you that very few have come from hoofball and we have scored some crackers.
We would all like to see beautiful football but we cut our cloth accordingly. As the squad improves, hopefully, so will the style.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed May 24, 2017 11:22 pm

minnieclaret wrote:for all your slagging off of SD and your references to hoofball this is precisely what he advocates. A review of our seasons goals would show you that very few have come from hoofball and we have scored some crackers.
We would all like to see beautiful football but we cut our cloth accordingly. As the squad improves, hopefully, so will the style.
I don't see Dyche's style changing ever, even if he was manager at Barcelona it would still be the same thing. He hasn't shown me hes willing to change. We had one of the best squads in the Championship last year, the style was exactly the same. We aren't hoofing it because we're up against better players, we are hoofing it because Dyche wants us too. I am willing to give him more time to see if he can change, hopefully he proves me wrong because you cant argue with the results he has produced.
These 3 users liked this post: minnieclaret cockneyclaret IndigoLake

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed May 24, 2017 11:27 pm

You really do have to watch us to have an opinion on this.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 25, 2017 12:03 am

Fretters wrote:Weird.
He is being ironic. See benny thread 8-)

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 am

Having the ability to retain the ball and not give it away cheaply is a no brainer. At the top level the question between being absolutely committed to keeping the ball until a clear attacking opportunity arises versus risking losing the ball by taking the opportunity to attack quickly and intensely is the key difference in top teams styles

Being honest burnley neither have the quality to retain the ball beyond knocking it across the back four or the ability and commitment to intensely attack teams so the question isn't applicable to us

We are competing at a real disadvantage so Dyche has adapted a style and strategy to not only give us a chance of survival but to actually achieve it.

Blinkers off to a neutral we are awful to watch but when youre a fan the result trumps everything and that's why this season has been yet another one to thrill enthral and exceed all expectations
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tim_noone

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 am

KRBFC wrote:I don't see Dyche's style changing ever, even if he was manager at Barcelona it would still be the same thing. He hasn't shown me hes willing to change. We had one of the best squads in the Championship last year, the style was exactly the same. We aren't hoofing it because we're up against better players, we are hoofing it because Dyche wants us too. I am willing to give him more time to see if he can change, hopefully he proves me wrong because you cant argue with the results he has produced.
We played a quicker more pressing and attacking game when we had Ings. The current style is in part, I think, based on the type of players that we now have.

One thing that hasn't changed too much is the use of narrow wingers, which I've never been a fan of but it has been effective whether it's pretty to watch or not.

If we keep Gray, a key signing will be someone to drop between midfield and attack, hopefully this will allow us to play a little more of the attractive side of the game. We shouldn't be abandoning what has worked well so far though, just tweaking and gradually developing.

I think you're being too hasty assuming that Dyche can't adapt, the available players and achieved targets (in both of the last two seasons) need to be taken into account. He needs to show that he can, I agree, but it takes time and the right players to be available.

To be fair, with what Dyche has done for this club you should give him at least half of next season before passing such judgement - many of the rest of us will likely give him much longer than that.
These 4 users liked this post: tim_noone cockneyclaret IndigoLake Goodclaret

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 25, 2017 12:31 am

Fretters wrote:Weird.
Yes I was mocking...

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 25, 2017 12:53 am

Dyche has had over 4 years to assemble a side so you can't ask for more time for him. Not many managers get that long.
He has mainly had flair players on the bench throughout his time here. Stanislas,Kightly,Defour,Brady et el.

I would like us copy Monaco's style if possible.
These 2 users liked this post: cockneyclaret tim_noone

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 278 times
Has Liked: 3308 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Thu May 25, 2017 1:05 am

I hope I'm wrong but I feel next season isn't going to be the best..
I just worry from our last 10 results things which we the fans see and talk about on the forums are oblivious to SD. (Subs being the worst of it)
The wba and west ham game summed that up.
But let's see what happens this summer! Have we learnt from the previous

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu May 25, 2017 1:31 am

DCWat wrote:We played a quicker more pressing and attacking game when we had Ings. The current style is in part, I think, based on the type of players that we now have.

One thing that hasn't changed too much is the use of narrow wingers, which I've never been a fan of but it has been effective whether it's pretty to watch or not.

If we keep Gray, a key signing will be someone to drop between midfield and attack, hopefully this will allow us to play a little more of the attractive side of the game. We shouldn't be abandoning what has worked well so far though, just tweaking and gradually developing.

I think you're being too hasty assuming that Dyche can't adapt, the available players and achieved targets (in both of the last two seasons) need to be taken into account. He needs to show that he can, I agree, but it takes time and the right players to be available.

To be fair, with what Dyche has done for this club you should give him at least half of next season before passing such judgement - many of the rest of us will likely give him much longer than that.
Its a hard balance for me though, I love the Dyche results but absolutely hate watching us play. Not watching simply isn't an option. You say the style is based on the players we have but these are Dyches players, bought to fit Dyches system and style of play. You don't need world class players to play a more attractive style of play, you simply set the team up differently, recruit players to fit the style and coach and mould the team into shape (yeah, I know it sounds simple but isn't), intent is a big thing.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 25, 2017 1:33 am

It's to be hoped he's oblivious to this forum.not talking styles regards football.but we certainly missed dean marney then joey b. jbg. And latterly Michael kean and Ben mee i think results would have been different had they played.talking flair and style I thought at Bournemouth and against west ham sd would give it a try and it dissapointed me that he didn't that said he's ridgid in his approach and better lose 2..1 where your still in the game .. Than get a hammering like Watford and hull.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 am

His first target first and foremost will be staying in the PL for the next few seasons, regardless of playing style.

Stoke got rid of Pulis, got Hughes in and are now meant to be playing a better style of football.

Pulis finished above Hughes this season, 10th & 13th respectively, and had a better goal difference too.
Which fans will be happier?
Which boardroom will be happier?

Ultimately neither style of football is better than the other, its how its implemented.
If we played hoofball and finished 10th or higher who's really going to care apart from someone like KRBFC?

Fretters
Been Liked: 1051 times
Has Liked: 553 times

Post by Fretters » Thu May 25, 2017 6:52 am

tim_noone wrote:Yes I was mocking...
Ahh... my bad.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Thu May 25, 2017 7:41 am

I think we had a great balance of `framework` and `flair` during our first promotion under Dyche. I always felt we were more than capable of scoring but we could also `see a game out`. Enjoyed watching it and didn`t go along with some critics saying then that we were a direct team. Obviously it was in the Championship but that does not mean we are incapable of replicating it in the Premier League. Lowton for Trippier (-1) / For Kightly we have Brady (possible +1). Goodbye Jones, hello Westwood (+/-). The only issue is in my opinion we don`t have the engine of Marney nor the guile of Ings. Because of this we have become more direct and less pleasing on the eye.

A Delph-type and a Rodriguez esque striker and we will be able to mix it up a little and get away from the somewhat stale 4-4-2 (4-4-1-1) which teams had pretty much begun to suss out.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3340 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu May 25, 2017 7:47 am

Imagine saying you hated watching something for 18 months but then continue to watch it.

Ultimately who's the one with the problem?

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Thu May 25, 2017 7:55 am

It is highly amusing watching the dickhead tie himself in knots with his dislike of Dyche/Burnley that he spends his every living hour on here moaning, crying and bitching about the football he thinks we play. The fact his description is all we do is just **** it forward non stop is a perfect example of how weird he is.

poor little bitch

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Thu May 25, 2017 7:59 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Imagine saying you hated watching something for 18 months but then continue to watch it.

Ultimately who's the one with the problem?
It`s nigh on impossible to stop regardless of your feelings towards the current incumbents and the style of play as with most non-bandwagon fans, you have been brought up on the club and it`s in your heart, whether it fills your heart with pride (Chelsea at home for example), breaks it (Torquay in the play-offs and SO many more!) or almost gives you a coronary through tension (Orient 1987, Championship run-in 2 seasons ago) or through utter excitement (Brighton and Rovers away in the Championship).

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Thu May 25, 2017 8:06 am

HiroshimaClaret wrote:It`s nigh on impossible to stop regardless of your feelings towards the current incumbents and the style of play as with most non-bandwagon fans, you have been brought up on the club and it`s in your heart, whether it fills your heart with pride (Chelsea at home for example), breaks it (Torquay in the play-offs and SO many more!) or almost gives you a coronary through tension (Orient 1987, Championship run-in 2 seasons ago) or through utter excitement (Brighton and Rovers away in the Championship).

You are mixing krbfc up with a Burnley fan (bandwagon or not) He sits in his armchair each week in the town, doesn't bother with any away game and only goes on the big home games so he can see in the flesh his favourite tv stars. He is more a football fan than a Burnley fan and probably has quite a few half and half items.

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 am

claretdom wrote:You are mixing krbfc up with a Burnley fan (bandwagon or not) He sits in his armchair each week in the town, doesn't bother with any away game and only goes on the big home games so he can see in the flesh his favourite tv stars. He is more a football fan than a Burnley fan and probably has quite a few half and half items.
Mine was more of a generalisation. I wasn`t singling anyone out. I`m not sure, even if I still lived in the UK, that I would be going on every game as it seems so ridiculously expensive now...especially away.

Going home and away to every game bar one (Maidstone away) in 1991/92 was my best experience of watching Burnley...LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Thu May 25, 2017 8:21 am

SDs style of football has been adapted for the task in hand.
Season1, promotion=success.
Season2, stay up= failure.
Season3, promotion= success.
Season4, stay up= success.
Season5, consolidate=?

I'm not happy about the poor finish to a successful season, as there is normally a carry over to next year. As pointed out earlier we were nowhere near our strongest X1 at the close and some leeway must be allowed for that. Plus the fact that post WBA they'd done their job and had the slippers on. We might not be happy about that but it is human nature.
This transfer window is massive and I hope we get our business done before Sky put on the yellow ties and we all go on plane tracker.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu May 25, 2017 8:45 am

unfair to suggest we just look to "hoof " it up the pitch, we have employed this tactic now and again but who hasn't ?
generally Burnley have attempted to build the play up gradually, they were excellent at this style of play when we were in the championship.
Stands to reason we get less chance of it working as often against the teams we faced this season.
Certain players are more adept at taking on opponents one on one, Hendrick and Defour being two examples.
I was more than satisfied with our standard of play .

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Thu May 25, 2017 4:07 pm

I'd like to see attacking football. Tika taka isn't always attacking.
Dyche stays along the lines of 'it's a results industry' - and so far he has done that.
True, it's not always pretty, but neither is losing.

Dyche worked out the Championship and won it. He worked out how to stay up and did it.
Now he needs to work out how to move forward, without risking actually stopping up.
Would you take 5 years of unattractive football against the best players in the world to try to get to a stage where attractive football is very possible?
Or risk it all for some unattractive football (because the grass isn't always greener) against, well, players that certainly aren't some of the best in the world?
This user liked this post: keith1879

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu May 25, 2017 4:20 pm

I'd just love some pace in the side and for someone to run at a player and take them on. Our style is so rigid and 'must not lose'. We're then knackered when we go a goal or two down. We've no one to alleviate pressure by carrying the ball 20-30 yards on his own.

We won half the number of points than even Sunderland did from losing positions. I think the lack of pace and running at people contributes greatly to that.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:46 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:I'd just love some pace in the side and for someone to run at a player and take them on. Our style is so rigid and 'must not lose'. We're then knackered when we go a goal or two down. We've no one to alleviate pressure by carrying the ball 20-30 yards on his own.

We won half the number of points than even Sunderland did from losing positions. I think the lack of pace and running at people contributes greatly to that.
Well you'd hope that Brady is the man - I doubt if we will ever be able to play 2 attacking wingers with only 2 central mids. I'm a big fan of 3 in midfield and one good winger. (It worked with Leighton James many years ago ......)

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Thu May 25, 2017 4:48 pm

Sean Dyche is immense at what he does and I am thankful for his time at BFC.

The Lincoln and Accy Stanley games said a lot about our squad though, we lack creativity pace and skill and this shows up against far lesser opposition than anybody else.

Dyche as implemented the things we are very good at very well though,, to the point that we can actually compete at Premier League level. Its great management to be fair.

I am very concerned with the way we played from February onwards though. We didn't lay a glove on Man United or West Ham which is very unlike us no matter who is playing.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10248 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu May 25, 2017 5:25 pm

The Lincoln and Accy games were relatively irrelevant one-off games. The losses taught us just as much as two wins would have.