Dyche ------->Palace

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Re: Dyche ------->Palace

Post by JohnMac » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:54 am

Pearcey wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:44 am
The fact they can afford £95k a week for Cahill suggests they are backing their manager.
I think that's more to do with his agent demanding a 'living wage for London' than backing the Manager ;)

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:55 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:49 am
One thing is certain, Palace won't be able to offer SD a stepping stone onto bigger and better things.

With Zaha likely to leave after today, what can their football achieve that we can't? Certainly not much more.

If he moves to Palace he's basically saying he'll never get a better job in football and he's happy to go on the managerial merry-go-round.
As Nigel Pearson might say, are you an ostrich? Have you got your hand in the sand?

Objectively, a move to Palace and a subsequent successful spell would put Dyche in a much stronger position.
Last edited by ksrclaret on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:55 am

Will Palace pay the 10m compensation to maybe finish a few places higher?
5m compensation for potting Hodgson?

It doesn't make much business sense does it?

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 am

Dyche as done an amazing job for us but he still has things to prove. Could he with more technical players at his disposal change his style and produce a team that can play exciting free flowing football. To change his style would take time and money. Are there any clubs outside the top 6 who have the time money and patience, because he won't get a top 6 club
Last edited by Top Claret on Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:58 am

Screenshot_20200726_104954_com.twitter.android.jpg
Screenshot_20200726_104954_com.twitter.android.jpg (254.54 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
As shown by their debt level last year, they rely heavily on their rich owners to see them through.

Their league finishes show that they're no better or worse than Burnley.

Their squad is disjointed and will need overhauling, strikers who can't score often, reliant on Zaha and their wage bill is higher but for no real return.

It's genuinely a sideways move and will be financially motivated at a guess because Palace aren't going to be pushing for Europe anytime soon.
Screenshot_20200726_105341_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200726_105341_com.android.chrome.jpg (207.4 KiB) Viewed 2885 times

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:01 am

Definitely would be a sideways move of sorts. But if the relationship with the chairman is as reported, and a sideways move is the best move available, Dyche may see this as a good opportunity.

It would be a great shame to lose Dyche but we’re in a very strong position to hire somebody of a high calibre (don’t ask me who). My main concern would be how this would impact the tightness of the group.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:02 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:49 am
One thing is certain, Palace won't be able to offer SD a stepping stone onto bigger and better things.

With Zaha likely to leave after today, what can their football achieve that we can't? Certainly not much more.

If he moves to Palace he's basically saying he'll never get a better job in football and he's happy to go on the managerial merry-go-round.
“For certain” ? Really ?

He would have chance to rebuild a team that to be honest pre lockdown were every bit as good as us but more importantly are much stronger than Burnley financially. Palace are 100% a step up in terms of the players they can attract and the salaries they are prepared to pay.
They currently have a rebuilding job to undertake - but from a strong financial position and a few of the highly paid players moving on gives any new manager a strong hand in the transfer market.
That move ticks a hell of a lot of boxes for Dyche IMHO

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:02 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:51 am
But Palace will never be anything more than a mid-table Premier league side at best, unless they get a billionaire owner who's prepared to compete with bigger clubs.
They've got a billionaire investor, just haven't spent that money so it's either there waiting for the right manager or he just helps keep the club ticking over without dipping that deep into his pockets.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:03 am

That’s not too bad a debt level. Debt isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s certainly not a sideways move, it would make sense on both a personal and professional level. He’s clearly reached the end of his tether with our board, he’s barely disguised that. I hope he doesn’t but I think he’d accept if offered.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:04 am

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:02 am
“For certain” ? Really ?

He would have chance to rebuild a team that to be honest pre lockdown were every bit as good as us but more importantly are much stronger than Burnley financially. Palace are 100% a step up in terms of the players they can attract and the salaries they are prepared to pay.
They currently have a rebuilding job to undertake - but from a strong financial position and a few of the highly paid players moving on gives any new manager a strong hand in the transfer market.
They've been overpaying in wages and fees for players to get them to sign for the unglamorous club that is Palace though.

They've had a poor return on a number of those players too.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:06 am

If he has the patience with Burnley and Garlick he may well get that chance with us if the board find an investor who is actually suitable, however as discussed on the INVESTOR thread, they are few and far between.

8 years at the club thus far - this is no walk in the park in current footballing climates, if he wanted to he has the chance to build a dynasty of sorts at Burnley, wether he wants to or not is unclear, but it still boils down to needing that little extra backing in the market as we all know.

Back Dyche Burnley - match made in heaven

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 am

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:02 am
“For certain” ? Really ?

You honestly think a manager wants a rebuilding job? Yes course they do!

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:13 am

We rightly think Dyche is performing miricles just to keep us in this division season after season. In that period Palace have been placed between 10th-15th and nobody thinks this is anything special and about par for the course for the money they spend and the players they are able to attract

We might be competing with them but for us its as good as it gets whist for them its just ok and that is why Palace is not a sideways move. If Dyche was to exceed expectations at Palace in the same way he has at Burnley then it would mean he has Palace in the top half every season qualifying for Europe regularly, winning a cup and possibly a freak season where he challenges the top four

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:15 am

I am sure if we could back him we would but the reality is we are a small fish in a large pond feeding on scraps the bigger fish do not want until they decide they want to eat us-and me thinks that time is fast approaching when we lose SD and sell off our prize assets of Tarky Pope McNeill and plan to start to head towards a smaller pond. It was ever thus, but think of how fantastic the journey has been for us since BK arrived. Who knows we may pull more irons out of the fire yet, but the rumblings do not sound good.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:20 am

Longsidebogs wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:35 am
There will be a lot of season tickets cancelled if it is Sean’s last game.
Tbf.... I recall you weren't bothering anymore due to Sean's style of Football anyway?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:22 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:13 am
We rightly think Dyche is performing miricles just to keep us in this division season after season. In that period Palace have been placed between 10th-15th and nobody thinks this is anything special and about par for the course for the money they spend and the players they are able to attract

We might be competing with them but for us its as good as it gets whist for them its just ok and that is why Palace is not a sideways move. If Dyche was to exceed expectations at Palace in the same way he has at Burnley then it would mean he has Palace in the top half every season qualifying for Europe regularly, winning a cup and possibly a freak season where he challenges the top four
Sean doesn't do Cup Competitions though??

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:24 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:04 am
They've been overpaying in wages and fees for players to get them to sign for the unglamorous club that is Palace though.

They've had a poor return on a number of those players too.
Perfect for a new manager with faith in his own ability then. It’s only “overpaying” if the signings don’t work out like they haven’t for Palace with Meyer, Benteke etc.
Any new manager will not be going there with an expectation to improve Palace with the existing team. Bring in new players and ship out ones you don’t want but within their existing £120m wage bill and we have a very different opportunity.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:29 am

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:54 am
Those thinking Palace would be a “sideways” move for Dyche might want to have a longer look at their wage bill / budgets. It’s not far off 50% higher than ours.
Zaha is on a reported £140k a week and there’s a few others reportedly on more than £100k - Benteke, Meyer and Sakho with Gary Cahill on a reported £90k a week too.

So yes whilst they may well lose Zaha and they do also have an ageing squad with some very highly paid players underperforming massively what that does give any new manager is a significant amount of scope if they can ship some of these out. Get rid of a couple of these and get in £50m or so for Zaha and you have a fair amount to play with in refreshing up the team....especially compared to what we have available.

If Dyche does decide to go there - and personally I think that there is a very big possibility he will - then I don’t think for a minute he would go if he had not discussed and agreed the budgets he wants to rebuild the team.
I fail to see how Palace can maintain that wage bill on their revenue. They can hardly be making more than us in income, and with a much larger expenditure, it's only a matter of time before the shot hits the fan. I don’t know who is bankrolling Palace, but is he prepared to do the spending job required to rejuvenate that squad. Although Zaha will fetch a good fee, it won't be anywhere near what they could have got 2 years ago. Also will he give SD the time it is going to take to create his own team.

I wish SD nothing but good luck, hopefully with us, but if with another so be it. I feel sorry if he feels he doesn't get the budget he wants, but I'm on the boards side. I'm sure Garlick and the board bend over backwards to give Sean as much as they can, if that isn't enough then there is a bigger picture to take into consideration.

Stan left the club in a healthy position for Cotterill, league wise.
Cotterill got the players in on the cheap for Coyle to get the best out of.
Eddie brought in the attacking players the club needed.
Sean got them organised on and off the pitch.
Whoever he passes it on to, whenever it happens, will be walking into a fantastic club, in a fantastic position, so long as the new manager understands the realities of BFC.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:32 am

If he goes - he goes. It's the board that recognised him as the right man for the job. There's no reason why they can't do the same again.

There is the possibility that it's the board that we should be wanting to keep hold of the most.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:32 am

I just hope if Dyche does leave this summer, that he does so sooner rather than later. We can't have this rumbling on throughout the much shorter off-season.
This user liked this post: yosserhughes

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:36 am

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:24 am
Perfect for a new manager with faith in his own ability then. It’s only “overpaying” if the signings don’t work out like they haven’t for Palace with Meyer, Benteke etc.
Any new manager will not be going there with an expectation to improve Palace with the existing team. Bring in new players and ship out ones you don’t want but within their existing £120m wage bill and we have a very different opportunity.
So he's going to move clubs and work the same magic, but pay more for the next Tarks, Pope, Barnes etc?

Whilst also trying to get rid of someone like Benteke, or find a system that suits his style because he's only scored 23 goals in 115 appearances whilst at Palace...not bad for a reputed £120k a week although that ends next summer I've read.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:37 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:32 am
If he goes - he goes. It's the board that recognised him as the right man for the job. There's no reason why they can't do the same again.

There is the possibility that it's the board that we should be wanting to keep hold of the most.
Wouldn’t be the same people this time if it was necessary. John B was joint chairman back then and Lee Hoos played a major part in the appointment.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:39 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:37 am
Wouldn’t be the same people this time if it was necessary. John B was joint chairman back then and Lee Hoos played a major part in the appointment.
Hmm, I still think it's a case of he wants to go, just let him go. I wouldn't want a manager here who didn't want to be here, so it wouldn't be worth being upset over.

Our 'pulling power' would surely be much higher than what it was when we appointed SD, with more managers with Premier League experience interested.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:40 am

We have 3 great strikers earning almost what they are paying Benteke who hasn’t scored for about 5 years....

This is essentially the problem we have. Lots of dead money at that club that can be easily replaced by someone who knows what they are doing. If he can get Burnley to finish above Arsenal with top earners up to 50k what can he achieve with top earners over 100k.

The size of the clubs are similar actually but it’s the size of investment into and by the clubs that are different.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:45 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:29 am
I fail to see how Palace can maintain that wage bill on their revenue. They can hardly be making more than us in income, and with a much larger expenditure, it's only a matter of time before the shot hits the fan. I don’t know who is bankrolling Palace, but is he prepared to do the spending job required to rejuvenate that squad. Although Zaha will fetch a good fee, it won't be anywhere near what they could have got 2 years ago. Also will he give SD the time it is going to take to create his own team.

I wish SD nothing but good luck, hopefully with us, but if with another so be it. I feel sorry if he feels he doesn't get the budget he wants, but I'm on the boards side. I'm sure Garlick and the board bend over backwards to give Sean as much as they can, if that isn't enough then there is a bigger picture to take into consideration.

Stan left the club in a healthy position for Cotterill, league wise.
Cotterill got the players in on the cheap for Coyle to get the best out of.
Eddie brought in the attacking players the club needed.
Sean got them organised on and off the pitch.
Whoever he passes it on to, whenever it happens, will be walking into a fantastic club, in a fantastic position, so long as the new manager understands the realities of BFC.
Owned by a billionaire.
I agree on Zaha fee - hence guessing £50m as didn’t they want £70m plus last summer ?

I don’t think Dyche would leave Burnley for Palace without certain assurances over budgets, transfer spend etc. Their team needs rebuilding - it’s ageing like ours and then there’s the likes of Benteke and Sakho who you would just want rid of given their wages and their lack of games, goals etc.
Any manager going there thinking they can just improve the existing team and get more out of them would be in could cuckoo land (or just going there for the money). I don’t think Dyche is like that - just like when he arrived at Burnley he would have a plan of what he wants to do and what he thinks the club needs. He’s not going to leave Burnley and move to a club with no ambition or not prepared to back a new manager.
Our best chance of Dyche not going to Palace is if they decide they don’t want to bank roll the club anymore or are looking to sell (which was a rumour last year I think). If that’s the case the best thing for Palace is to keep Hodgson and see if he can avoid relegation.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:53 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:36 am
So he's going to move clubs and work the same magic, but pay more for the next Tarks, Pope, Barnes etc?

Whilst also trying to get rid of someone like Benteke, or find a system that suits his style because he's only scored 23 goals in 115 appearances whilst at Palace...not bad for a reputed £120k a week although that ends next summer I've read.
Yes - that’s pretty much it.
And on top of that earn more money himself and be a lot closer to his family.
And let’s not forget his recent quote of saying the days of buying the likes of Tarks, Pope etc for a couple of million are long gone. So the possibility of moving to a club who have regularly shown they are prepared to pay more than £100k a week to players would be an attractive proposition to any new manager....and in particular to Dyche who is effectively saying that he cannot perform these kind of miracles any longer in the current market (which is different to saying he cannot perform the other miracles we know he can !!)

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:54 am

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:45 am
Owned by a billionaire.
I agree on Zaha fee - hence guessing £50m as didn’t they want £70m plus last summer ?

I don’t think Dyche would leave Burnley for Palace without certain assurances over budgets, transfer spend etc. Their team needs rebuilding - it’s ageing like ours and then there’s the likes of Benteke and Sakho who you would just want rid of given their wages and their lack of games, goals etc.
Any manager going there thinking they can just improve the existing team and get more out of them would be in could cuckoo land (or just going there for the money). I don’t think Dyche is like that - just like when he arrived at Burnley he would have a plan of what he wants to do and what he thinks the club needs. He’s not going to leave Burnley and move to a club with no ambition or not prepared to back a new manager.
Our best chance of Dyche not going to Palace is if they decide they don’t want to bank roll the club anymore or are looking to sell (which was a rumour last year I think). If that’s the case the best thing for Palace is to keep Hodgson and see if he can avoid relegation.
How often have you seen it in football generally that what managers get promised and what they are given differ somewhat?

Add into the mix, the uncertainty of Brexit and the on-going situation of Covid 19 then Palace, like every other club may have to cut their cloth accordingly.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:55 am

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:53 am
And let’s not forget his recent quote of saying the days of buying the likes of Tarks, Pope etc for a couple of million are long gone. So the possibility of moving to a club who have regularly shown they are prepared to pay more than £100k a week to players would be an attractive proposition to any new manager....and in particular to Dyche who is effectively saying that he cannot perform these kind of miracles any longer in the current market (which is different to saying he cannot perform the other miracles we know he can !!)
Sheff United have found a good number of players in the mould of Tarkowski & Pope, so there are still many lower league bargains to be had.
This user liked this post: jojomk1

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:57 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:54 am
How often have you seen it in football generally that what managers get promised and what they are given differ somewhat?

Add into the mix, the uncertainty of Brexit and the on-going situation of Covid 19 then Palace, like every other club may have to cut their cloth accordingly.
Yep that happens I agree - but would not stop him going if he believed that was what he was going to get. Plus how many times have you seen new managers get huge transfer budgets to try and rebuild the team ?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:00 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:53 am
There is about 40mins difference in drive time from Northampton, which is where I think Dyche lives, to Palace and Burnley, so not much to shout about and there's the M25.

Yes the couple of million had long gone prior to the Pandemic, but that may not be the case this summer, or we utilise the foreign markets more because we all know good players can be picked up.
That could be his next challenge at Burnley because he's going to be expected to shop outside the UK at Palace.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:00 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:39 am
Hmm, I still think it's a case of he wants to go, just let him go. I wouldn't want a manager here who didn't want to be here, so it wouldn't be worth being upset over.

Our 'pulling power' would surely be much higher than what it was when we appointed SD, with more managers with Premier League experience interested.
If Sean wants to give the Palace job a whirl so be it, i'll wish him all the best, apart from when they play us obviously, but if he's going just go ASAP, and let us move on with a new appointment, whoever that might be, hopefully the board have their eyes on the ball and we have a genuine shortlist of replacements lined up.

You bring up a good point FF, we are in a far better place than we were when Laws took over, we're going into our 5th straight PL campaign soon, and we have a far better squad than we did in 2010, which even if SD does jump ship is capable of maintaining PL status.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:55 am
Sheff United have found a good number of players in the mould of Tarkowski & Pope, so there are still many lower league bargains to be had.
They do - but they have been in the Premier League for one season...and yes they did brilliantly.
Plus they did spend around £60m didn’t they ? An amount not a million miles away from Dyche’s net spend over his whole 8 year tenure at Burnley !!
Wilder is also a very good manager - very much in the mould of Dyche. If he carries on like he has then Sheff United will be in the same position as us in terms of other teams looking at their manager

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Not really sure if it is a step up or a sideways move - but it would certainly give him a challenge. Not sure if he would be given the time needed to turn Palace around as he will be under pressure to improve things quickly. I will always be grateful for what he has given Burnley - I hope that his relationship with our players might be strong enough for him to stay as he has had them performing miracles and clearly they respect him and believe in his ethics. If he goes I will wish him well (except when he comes up against the Clarets) !

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:06 pm

I doubt he’ll be the biggest earner at Palace, as he is at Burnley. And it’ll be an expensive switch for them with two sets of compo, but I’m sure a risk worth taking for Palace’s long term vision.
But let’s face it Dyche’s recent behaviour has been a ‘come and get me plea’ to anyone who is interested really.
The biggest positive I see is that Palace is not such an attractive destination for our big players. It would get Nick Pope a lot closer to home but I’m not convinced it’d be great for Tarks and McNeil. A lot will depend on how effectively and quickly we can recruit a new manager. The short turnaround to the new season is my biggest concern.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:11 pm

How many times on here have I heard posters say, "I'll believe it when it happens" with regard to transfer speculation in newspapers?

Now we have speculation about Sean and everyone seems to think it's a done deal. Why, it's the same papers doing the speculating?

I'll believe it when it happens. Meanwhile, I do wish some people would stop almost encouraging him to leave with some quite unfair comments.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:13 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:00 pm
There is about 40mins difference in drive time from Northampton, which is where I think Dyche lives, to Palace and Burnley, so not much to shout about and there's the M25.
There is a direct train between Bedford (less than 15 miles from where he lives) and Croydon too - he can afford to have a car at either end

burnmark
Been Liked: 602 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Post by burnmark » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Nixon, take it or leave it, is saying it’s not likely.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Could very well be, following these past few months, that SD and his family want to continue with a ‘more normal’ family balance. Could also be that there are frustrations with the board. However, it’s important to note that managing high earning players is a whole different ball game.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:18 pm

If there's any truth in this I would say massive risk for SD in the current climate/uncertainty

Since the restart we look every bit a PL club (on the pitch) - Palace look like relegation material without a major overhaul - will there be time to do that - they don't seem to be a club over-blessed with Dyche-type players

Is there actually any more to this than speculation following Palace's poor recent form?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:19 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:17 pm
Could very well be, following these past few months, that SD and his family want to continue with a ‘more normal’ family balance. Could also be that there are frustrations with the board. However, it’s important to note that managing high earning players is a whole different ball game.
Especially when a number of them are bang average

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:21 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:18 pm
If there's any truth in this I would say massive risk for SD in the current climate/uncertainty

Since the restart we look every bit a PL club (on the pitch) - Palace look like relegation material without a major overhaul - will there be time to do that - they don't seem to be a club over-blessed with Dyche-type players

Is there actually any more to this than speculation following Palace's poor recent form?
Not sure there would be a huge risk. If he moves on he'll be signing a longer contract for a larger sum of money.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Dyche fits Burnley like a hand in a glove. When he moves it is instant pressure to get results, it took time at Burnley to mould a squad with his ethics etc he won't get that time elsewhere and could become a pundit between jobs like so many are.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:22 pm

burnmark wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:17 pm
Nixon, take it or leave it, is saying it’s not likely.
Yeah I just looked... "How often has that one got to be written? Funnily enough ... less chance now than back then."

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:21 pm
Depends what his longer-term ambitions are - a failure puts him on the same merry-go-round as likes of Hughes, Pardew and Pulis- at the moment he is a breed apart from those perceived 'journeymen'

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:21 pm
Not sure there would be a huge risk. If he moves on he'll be signing a longer contract for a larger sum of money.
He may not get much difference in length of contract.
It's also rare that a manager sees out the duration of that contract.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:31 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:25 pm
I can't remember when I posted that as this thread is 3 years old. Do you not think it's fair to say that the situation may have changed in that time? If Dyche has a poor relationship with his employers then he may see this as a good opportunity. I doubt it is the dream move that Dyche may be looking for in the long term, but if he takes a job at an established PL side who offer him more money and a longer contract then he's not taking a big risk. He may find himself out of a job but I don't think he would be for long.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:33 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:25 pm
He may not get much difference in length of contract.
It's also rare that a manager sees out the duration of that contract.
I know, my point is that if he signs a 4 year contract on the same salary as he's currently on then he will be paid for the duration of that contract. So in that sense it wouldn't particularly be a risk. Changing any job comes with some risk.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:35 pm

If there is any truth that SD might leave then Nixon will have some idea.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:39 pm

I dont disagree Dyche wants out. But CP Is a massive risk for Dyche, Its a two / three year rebuilding job at best. In terms of Income their not that much bigger than us. They have backing of course, but thats just balancing the books, this isn't a Man City / Everton splashing the cash. Its okay saying, get so and so off the books, but someone actually has to want them. 50m for Zaha, whats that? 2 maybe 3 Championship players? The reward is just not worth the risk imo.

If I was Dyche I would be far more interested in the Villa job. I want them to go down today, otherwise I think he'll be having a word in their ears.

And here's a cheeky suggestion... How about Dyche to Spurs? North London, easy to get to for him. Probably going to lose Kane in a year or two... JM not exactly ripping up trees. Tight board will apricate SDs. They might be in a rebuilding stage this year or next but still a massive step up for him... They could do worse than look at SD, they probably wont though, need a big name et al.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:40 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:40 am
We have 3 great strikers earning almost what they are paying Benteke who hasn’t scored for about 5 years....

This is essentially the problem we have. Lots of dead money at that club that can be easily replaced by someone who knows what they are doing. If he can get Burnley to finish above Arsenal with top earners up to 50k what can he achieve with top earners over 100k.

The size of the clubs are similar actually but it’s the size of investment into and by the clubs that are different.
Scored on the 7th July this year